Path to Glory Overhaul: Road to Renown Edition

Yes and yes. Rather than requiring two choices elite followers cost 1 choice plus 1 renown. Because 1 follower choice can be exchanged for 1 renown, this means that 2 choices can be spent to gain an elite unit (though this is somewhat less efficient).

Also note that "any eligible table" means you are not restricted to a single page; were someone to use Cities of Sigmar they could find themselves taking units from the Stormcast tables (following the normal restrictions for the allegiance), a Blades of Khorne player could generate followers from the Slaves to Darkness tables (provided they took the mark of Khorne), and so on.

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Thanks 1

Hi, just wanted to ask a question and say good job on this overhaul.

In the Order Warband table, several "Hero Elite Retinue" tables don't state that they are at a renown cost of 1. Is this the case or a typo?

Again, great work.

-K

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just want to chime in again here and say that we loved these rules when we ran through our PtG campaign. COVID put the dampeners on it and it has been so long that we're starting a different campaign now, but when we inevitably run another PtG, our experiences were so positive that we'll definitely be using these rules again!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Development update!

I am still working on the consolidation & rewrite of follower/champion rewards. The new system will have a number of tables based on unit type, much like the regiments of renown rules from the last GHB. When giving a follower/champion a reward the player picks a table the unit qualifies for and rolls a d6 to see what they get. Like normal they can spend an extra renown to change the result to one of choice. Some results on the tables give the player a choice of reward to receive; for example rolling a '1' might give the "Veterans" reward for which the player can choose to give the unit re-roll 1s to hit or re-roll 1s to saves (note these bonuses could change in the actual update as I fiddle with balance and options).

Results 1-4 are based on the table, but a unique element comes in with 5s and 6s. Results of 5 give a bonus based on grand alliance, right now I have:

Order - Bold March: Unit can reroll runs and battleshock.

Chaos - Dark Blessing: Unmodified 6s to hit score an additional hit.

Death - Deathly Chill: -2 bravery for enemy units within 3".

Destruction - Savage Glee: Unit can reroll charge rolls and gets +1 to charge rolls if there are no enemy units within 9".

Finally, results of 6 will be based on the warband's exact allegiance. I am trying to make these particularly interesting/creative and very customized for the faction in question.

As always I am happy to receive comments or feedback!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Well after MANY more hours than I initially expected I have finished the 1.4 update! The entire rewards system has been overhauled, producing a central set of reward tables for everyone that roughly follows the old Regiments of Renown rules. Grand alliances and a number of racial keywords have bespoke bonuses as well as every single allegiance, ensuring every warband has something unique to draw upon. While the 'core' rewards are relatively simple such as hit re-rolls or bonuses to charge, the more specific ones are extremely tailored and can get pretty crazy with ample narrative potential. Also included is something we all knew needed to be there; incorporation of the Anvil of Apotheosis rules!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kx6abv0am12rx9k/AADIA301VDdAigp7AkvNbTN6a?dl=0

As always, please let me know if you have any comments or feedback! In the meantime, what is your favorite follower reward? I am particularly proud of the Nurgle one, but I also think Slaves to Darkness players better bring toast because all the other armies got jelly.

EDIT: The link was off, my apologies. Fixed so it DOES go to the new files.

Edited by NinthMusketeer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Version 1.5 is now up, mainly this is a readability update where I split up paragraphs, added more labels, and re-worded things to be more easily understood. Hopefully I succeeded; from my perspective all the rules are perfectly clear so I have NO IDEA if something is hard to understand unless I get feedback 😅 Awakened Artifacts also got a small update and some clarifications, plus (optional) FFA & alternate-by-phase rules were added. The FFA because they have use for Rampage campaigns, and the alternate-by-phase because they have use in FFA. But as always feel free to adapt whatever portions of RtR you like for your own use!

And I am still very happy to hear any feedback you may have!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update; I do have the basics of the DoK & Slaanesh updates worked out but I am waiting on the two-week FAQs to clarify how some things work, since they could significantly affect functionality.

Edit: Also, just did an update to the scenario WIP document with the current versions of Destructive Fonts and Pillager victory conditions.

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grom said:

Hi, I click on your dropbox link but nothing happens. I takes you the page header for dropbox but the page is blank.

Hm, I logged out and tried the link myself and it still works. Maybe try clearing your internet cookies?

Or maybe someone more tech-savvy than I can chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been several weeks without FAQs so I am putting up the new updates without them.

Versions 1.5 of the Chaos and Order warband tables are up. Both feature some minor reformatting in several places to use space more efficiently. Order has some minor changes to Idoneth , Free Cities, and KO, and the update for DoK to go with the new battletome. Depending on how they FAQ prayers they  may see alterations in the near future. Chaos got a reorganized and updated roster for Slaanesh, as well as new options to allow marked Beasts of Chaos champions/units (since the relevant battalions normally used for the purpose are unavailable in PtG).

Let me know what you think!

Edited by NinthMusketeer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...