Jump to content

The Tithe - Speculation.


Kronos
 Share

Recommended Posts

ok, I gave it a 2nd chance and took another look or two ;)

I wonder, if you may paint those "plates" which cover the "bones" (can't be real bones because they a constructs but it looks like bones at the knees for example)  like skin and the "bones" as u guessed it - bones.  So you make them look more organic.

Of course I still have to get rid of the joker and samurai heads but it's a start...maybe the scale fits, and you can take common skulls (but I somehow doubt that).

If you look at these 3 headed, 4 sworded elite thing, those skulls look more like actual skulls (the two in the back, not the one in the front) or like the morghast skulls.

The more I look at it, the more I can figure out what turns me of (personally).

I like the rest of the armour, it's kinda nutral and fits to the existing morghasts (which I like).  As they choose those big round shields, I wonder why the didn't stick with this kinda greek hoplit theme and added some bristle helmets or armoured uruk hai helmets.

I will have to compare them sizewise with ordinary skeletons...

Edited by Dolinarius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have wanted this to have a more Egyptian aesthetic, and I hate their noses and stupid grin, but the Mortarch is a very good model, so there's that. And the paint job can do a lot to change the feel of these guys. For instance, the first thing I'd do is change the obsidian to verdigris. I know the obsidian purplish is a complimentary of bone, but I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of material is that.

Bone andthe washed green-blue of the verdigris can look great, and we already know bone and bronze go well together, it contrasts in intensity with the paleness of the bone, and along with an accent color like burgundy, turquoise or regal blue, it can look neat. Like so: 

New-Ossiarch.png

New Ossiarch.bmp

If you swap the heads with Tomb Guard, it can look neat.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dolinarius said:

I wonder, if you may paint those "plates" which cover the "bones" (can't be real bones because they a constructs but it looks like bones at the knees for example)  like skin and the "bones" as u guessed it - bones.  So you make them look more organic.

Pretty sure they ARE made of actual bone - just bone that has been molded and shaped magically into something more useful.  Sort of like Eldar wraithbone in 40k

I think that is their whole bag - that they use bone as a malleable raw material that they morph into different things.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I would have wanted this to have a more Egyptian aesthetic, and I hate their noses and stupid grin, but the Mortarch is a very good model, so there's that. And the paint job can do a lot to change the feel of these guys. For instance, the first thing I'd do is change the obsidian to verdigris. I know the obsidian purplish is a complimentary of bone, but I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of material is that.

Bone andthe washed green-blue of the verdigris can look great, and we already know bone and bronze go well together, it contrasts in intensity with the paleness of the bone, and along with an accent color like burgundy, turquoise or regal blue, it can look neat. Like so: 

New-Ossiarch.png

New Ossiarch.bmp 537.42 kB · 4 downloads

If you swap the heads with Tomb Guard, it can look neat.

I really like this recolor.  I think that the best part of them is that since they are "constructed" out of bone rather than being skeletons it removes the expectation that their bodies should be painted "like bones".  Undead armies have always had an issue looking similar since the major aesthetic and color scheme is "bones all the way down" . 

Vampire Counts got away from this by including Vampires, spirits, undead wolves and bats.

Tomb Kings got away from this by including a bunch of constructed and going heavy in on the Egyptian decoration (mummies, masks, armor, big shields, things made of "not bone".

This new army gets away from the bone problem indirectly.  Their non-bone bones can be painted in other colors to simulate other materials fairly easily.  You could do grey stone, red stone, obsidian, marble, jade, terracotta, or even metal.  The possibilities are really astounding.  

 

IF I collect them, I've already got my idea: Terracotta "Bones" and Jade armor. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don’t like the noses, you may be in luck. Look at this picture.978A3C8F-4D6F-4C3D-8F17-15BF93F912E2.png.5ad077b7779e67ee20a769ecce78cf0c.png

The infantry in the bottom left and bottom right of this picture are lacking in the nose department. 

This leader is also lacking a nose.8B200896-0AD0-4B13-8166-C4F5F8053106.png.e7caa2c3456440ddf5296c40f2f10949.png

I must admit it does make them look better.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really surprised by these guys and how fresh they feel- mostly brilliant models and concept. Liking the quintesson style heads of the 4 armed dudes most. Curious how their rules will work- i can see tactical choices between say a 'duellist' personality with a great to hit and rend, and another more bloodthirsty one with a tonne of attacks perhaps

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lowki said:

Also much depends on the paintjob. I find them much better looking in the video than they look on the official pictures. So curious how people going to paint them. Personally I think I wouldn't paint all the leg and arm covers as bones. I guess that already would give them a less thick, Robo look that they do now.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like this really effects the Mortarch in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with these models once they hit the shelves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

I dislike the rictus grin

I wouldn't have minded it on "Death Jester" type of stalker troops, but on common soldiers it feels like it doesn't fit the theme. Why would Nagash make troops that smile, him being stern and serious to the point of parody, and his model of the world, one with no emotion? I'd rather like that each Mortarch could bring some of himself to the table in the form of special troops that fit his own character.

A kind of "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors and folktale rejects would fit the grinning bone construct better than an unemotional horde of tax collectors, honestly.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the people who are upset about the models, I would like to see some their ideas of what they wanted in a drawing. Cause from what I see, people explaining what aesthetics they should be, it's kinda hard to picture what they want without looking like TK.  Some say it looks cartoony, silly and have weird smiles, fair enough. ( need lips to do so)

I just wanted a death army and don't care about what they look like. If I wanted skeletons then I'll buy a box of the old ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I wouldn't have minded it on "Death Jester" type of stalker troops, but on common soldiers it feels like it doesn't fit the theme. Why would Nagash make troops that smile, him being stern and serious to the point of parody, and his model of the world, one with no emotion? I'd rather like that each Mortarch could bring some of himself to the table in the form of special troops that fit his own character.

A kind of "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors and folktale rejects would fit the grinning bone construct better than an unemotional horde of tax collectors, honestly.

I prefer the "skeleton face" over this ones, but I can see a lot of diferent directions to why they did them like that.

I don't know, but if someone explains that they have this type of "creepy" smiles to produce some fear, giving the feeling that this "monsters"have some type of personality and they enjoy what are they going to do to you if you don't pay (I believe that the samurai/oni masks were used to do the same), then I must say that I will understand why they went with this faces, even if there are a lot of other type of awesome designs that they could do too.

Btw, I really like the concept of a "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted my opinion on the smiles in the bonereapers thread but these guys are sentient and not just puppets like our usual skellis. They also serve under a mortarch that admits he enjoys his job,so it wouldn't be a surprise for some of that to rub off on his men. After all they've been at this for centuries, after a while you either become numb to what you do or learn to enjoy it. So I wouldn't be surprised if they crack some grins every time their generals deem the tithe to be unacceptable. Also they are literally souls in bone armour, literally deathcast. So it would be very nagash to have his constructs be twisted mirrors of sigmar's greatest creations, evil grins and laughing smiles to contrast the stoic masks worn by sigmars own creations. Nagash may come across as no nonesense and emotionless, but ****** with people is absolutely his guilty pleasure, much like the nighthaunt's eternal punishments are crule mockeries of the lives they lived, the bonereapers are a mockery of sigmar's past millennia's work and any little dig at the other gods he can get is one Nagash would probably take.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Getthefeckback said:

Cause from what I see, people explaining what aesthetics they should be, it's kinda hard to picture what they want without looking like TK. 

The only thing I couldn't get over are the heads, and it looks like  (based on the pictures above your post) there are options to give them "normal" skeleton ones. Even if there are only a few per kit, it takes less than 15 bucks to get the materials to cast your own. It's such a minor thing, but the different heads literally save the faction for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I really hope we get more models like that Samurai dude, he is badass. 

Anyone know what this could be? I thought it was a catapult but the big banner on top throws me off. Reckon it could be something new? 

 

Screenshot_20190829-140256_Chrome.jpg

uricxKuabAs.jpg

 

Look at the background behind left dude. There are a rumor part Nagashs tentacles, so there are terrain or a monster.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like them. The  fact they are new and bringing something different to the table is cool. There has literally been 30+ years of generic fantasy skeletons released and  dozens of versions from different providors. Some people seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of re;ease, tweak, update, repeat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I like it, but I did hope for an infantry ranged (preferable bow).

I'd like to see some range too. And it fits well with their more martial theme as well, maybe not now a ibwpuld expect to see something unique though these days from GW

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't... dislike them, but I don't think I like them either. I admit that I was hoping for something closer to a more armoured Sepulchral Guard.

I feel like they're a symptom of GW's recent attempts to cram as much detail onto a model for the sake of cramming detail on there. There just feels like there's a bit too much going on, especially for the basic troops. When I look at these models, my eyes aren't really drawn to one place, there's a lack of 'focus' somehow? 

Katakros looks fantastic though.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Chikout said:

If you don’t like the noses, you may be in luck. Look at this picture.978A3C8F-4D6F-4C3D-8F17-15BF93F912E2.png.5ad077b7779e67ee20a769ecce78cf0c.png

The infantry in the bottom left and bottom right of this picture are lacking in the nose department. 

This leader is also lacking a nose.8B200896-0AD0-4B13-8166-C4F5F8053106.png.e7caa2c3456440ddf5296c40f2f10949.png

I must admit it does make them look better.

Ok Thanks!  I am afraid that is good news (Wallet says No), the longer I look at them, and now knowing that they probably come with multiple options for the heads I start to like them more and more. I didn't realize when I saw them the first time, but indeed it seems to be the noses that bugs me most, together with those grins. If that is easily fixed by the option to replace it by a more traditional skull, I like them so much more.

Looking at that leader its not just the nose, but also the mouth different, while the background figures on the top photo, have just the nose removed...so might be multiple options to change them. I think I also saw more option for the heads of the undead mounts as wel, but I have been wrong before on what is on pictures.

As for the color I think there are plenty of options, some good suggestion made here as well. I don't think it is written in stone that all the bone armor should also be painted as bone. Like the left guy next to the Motarch, he is mainly painted black, and looks great imo. His armor is not less bone than that of any of the others if you ask me, but does anyone care it is black?  

image.png.69b6764fc5e06e22011e34d12af1d998.pngBy the way thoses stitches on here, aren't they on one of the rumour engines?

Edited by Lowki
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hollow said:

I really like them. The  fact they are new and bringing something different to the table is cool. There has literally been 30+ years of generic fantasy skeletons released and  dozens of versions from different providors. Some people seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of re;ease, tweak, update, repeat. 

What can I say, I'm all for them trying new things but sometimes classics are classics.

GW tries things and sometimes it lands (more often than not). They absolutely got it right with the Nighthaunt, spectacular miniatures. Daughters of Khaine, very nice evolution of the Dark Elf aesthetic.  The Fyreslayers could have gone without the extra Y in their name, but overall, solid designs (even if sometimes their weapons were too much to look at in terms of phisicality). The Sylvaneth looked great. Most of the new Tzeentch acolytes and Nurgle followers are amazing concepts full of character. Minis like these make me want to start a Nurgle army, just because they ooze (sorry) personality. They even did great miniatures on a... controversial concept with the fish elves... but sometimes they get a concept out that's flawed. Let's see:

- Most of the new Khorne units look absolutely and irredeemably stupid, especially the Slaughterpriest and the Skullreapers. Many of them are so disproportioned that the sheer dread of their lore is lost on those enormous legs and funny helmets that don't cover the mouth (ironically adding in to the humanity of faces that should have none. Chaos warriors have always had bizarre looking helmets for a reason). I don't like either that they are usually wearing heavy armour from the waist down, but wear their chest and arms bare. Cognitive dissonance, I guess.

- Some of the Ironjawz ideas had problems, mostly the armour looked like random patches of armour strapped in place willy-nilly, and usually they were modeled metal over flesh, without chainmail and cloth between at all. The Warchanter especially. Makes little sense, but this, paired with the "hit me and my armour falls down like the Iron Man 3 suit" don't make for great visual implications. I think the designers had a similar thought, because when it came time to release the Shadespire orc band, they went for a traditional Black Ork armour design instead of the new Ironjawz theme. Many of the new skirmish bands doubled down on the successful concepts and threw away what didn't work.

- Hearthguard Berzerkers and most Slayer units with chain-link weapons on top of other weapons. They don't look cool, rather they look mightly impractical.

- Steampunk dwarves floating on metal balls. Yeah.

So, do I want new things? Yes. But sometimes people change things that worked just for the sake of change, and without a better replacement; it does feel like this is meant to replace the old skeleton-and-zombie foot soldier. And these are true-and-tried concept that GW has sculpted marvelously.

As I said, plase, do release new things. After all, many of the fish elves came in handy when I wanted to create a post-EndTimes Old World Elvish floating city. I couldn't have done it without them, and I paid them money, so they're doing something right for sure. It's just that, in this particular instance, I'm no blown by the concept.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

What can I say, I'm all for them trying new things but sometimes classics are classics.

GW tries things and sometimes it lands (more often than not). They absolutely got it right with the Nighthaunt, spectacular miniatures. Daughters of Khaine, very nice evolution of the Dark Elf aesthetic.  The Fyreslayers could have gone without the extra Y in their name, but overall, solid designs (even if sometimes their weapons were too much to look at in terms of phisicality). The Sylvaneth looked great. Most of the new Tzeentch acolytes and Nurgle followers are amazing concepts full of character. Minis like these make me want to start a Nurgle army, just because they ooze (sorry) personality. They even did great miniatures on a... controversial concept with the fish elves... but sometimes they get a concept out that's flawed. Let's see:

- Most of the new Khorne units look absolutely and irredeemably stupid, especially the Slaughterpriest and the Skullreapers. Many of them are so disproportioned that the sheer dread of their lore is lost on those enormous legs and funny helmets that don't cover the mouth (ironically adding in to the humanity of faces that should have none. Chaos warriors have always had bizarre looking helmets for a reason). I don't like either that they are usually wearing heavy armour from the waist down, but wear their chest and arms bare. Cognitive dissonance, I guess.

- Some of the Ironjawz ideas had problems, mostly the armour looked like random patches of armour strapped in place willy-nilly, and usually they were modeled metal over flesh, without chainmail and cloth between at all. The Warchanter especially. Makes little sense, but this, paired with the "hit me and my armour falls down like the Iron Man 3 suit" don't make for great visual implications. I think the designers had a similar thought, because when it came time to release the Shadespire orc band, they went for a traditional Black Ork armour design instead of the new Ironjawz theme. Many of the new skirmish bands doubled down on the successful concepts and threw away what didn't work.

- Hearthguard Berzerkers and most Slayer units with chain-link weapons on top of other weapons. They don't look cool, rather they look mightly impractical.

- Steampunk dwarves floating on metal balls. Yeah.

So, do I want new things? Yes. But sometimes people change things that worked just for the sake of change, and without a better replacement; it does feel like this is meant to replace the old skeleton-and-zombie foot soldier. And these are true-and-tried concept that GW has sculpted marvelously.

As I said, plase, do release new things. After all, many of the fish elves came in handy when I wanted to create a post-EndTimes Old World Elvish floating city. I couldn't have done it without them, and I paid them money, so they're doing something right for sure. It's just that, in this particular instance, I'm no blown by the concept.

You've come to the wrong site and the wrong company.  It's ok you were looking for mantic games and the 9th age... you're welcome

Edited by CDM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...