Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kronos

The Tithe - Speculation.

Posted (edited)

Well the good news is that this army will probably not grow my pile of grey plastic any further. Not saying I am disappointed. If I was it would have been right after seeing the 3rd teaser video as it was pretty clear the new army resembles a lot of the Morghast, which aren't among my favorite sculpts, not to say I just don't like them.

It is not that I dislike the new models, and I wouldn't call them bad sculpts either(not at all), its just that there are armies that I like more. So if I wanted to start a new army next to the two I am already painting (very slow progress) I probably wouldn't choose this one. I appreciate the creativity and how GW makes them look very original and unique, but its a bit to much futuristic/cartoonish for my, I guess, more traditional mindset. I would be over the moon with a bit more traditional looking skeletons in similar samurai/Asian like armor and setting. I like the Lore too. 

I actually do like some of the models though. I think the death riders  are fantastic, the war machine I find interesting, impressed by the size of it too, and I really like the commanders accompanying the motarch, lets hope the kit also allow you to have them on a separate base and having a warscroll on its own. If the whole army were like them I was probably sold. Still not impossible I will buy some of them in the end. If they are indeed in a box together with ogres, including the new Tyrant and hopefully a new butcher, then, provided the price is right, it would be an instant buy for me.  

Also much depends on the paintjob. I find them much better looking in the video than they look on the official pictures. So curious how people going to paint them. Personally I think I wouldn't paint all the leg and arm covers as bones. I guess that already would give them a less thick, Robo look that they do now.

Edited by Lowki

Just now, Panzer said:

Well then we have to agree to disagree I guess. I'm not trying to claim that all Tomb King fans have the same opinions and preferences. ^^

It is undeniable that there are Egyptian aesthetic touches in these models.  It's there for all to see - these models are a jumble of different aesthetic choices, and Egyptian styles are certainly one of them.  That is more fact than opinion.

Where the opinion comes in is whatever you define "spiritual successor" to be.  To some, that they look kinda-sorta-partly Egyptian, (as well as being more "military" than the usual Nagash crew) is enough to hit the "spiritual successor definition.  Others were pretty clearly looking for TK 2.0, and so anything short of that, and they are apparently absolutely not TK in any way shape or form.

To each their own, I suppose

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eldarain said:

This is a very honest response. I always laugh when some ugly models get OP rules in an update and you suddenly see legions of players including them talking about how they always liked the sculpts/lore. Sure you did...

I have encountered that.  The group I play with are all pretty honest though.  The aesthetics are nice but the real requirement we have to field models is how powerful are they on the table and are they optimal points efficient for the army roster.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Panzer said:

As a Tomb Kings player I can assure you ... no those are definitely not even close to be a replacement. Very different feel and design to them.

Agreed. While there are a few echos of my beloved Tomb Kings, it's a real stretch to say these are somehow an update to them.

Also, they are not Necrons, Tyranids, or anything else. This is a distinctly different army with a totally different background (from what we've seen) and look. 

It's lazy and simplistic to draw comparisons to those armies, especially Necrons.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

ok, I gave it a 2nd chance and took another look or two ;)

I wonder, if you may paint those "plates" which cover the "bones" (can't be real bones because they a constructs but it looks like bones at the knees for example)  like skin and the "bones" as u guessed it - bones.  So you make them look more organic.

Of course I still have to get rid of the joker and samurai heads but it's a start...maybe the scale fits, and you can take common skulls (but I somehow doubt that).

If you look at these 3 headed, 4 sworded elite thing, those skulls look more like actual skulls (the two in the back, not the one in the front) or like the morghast skulls.

The more I look at it, the more I can figure out what turns me of (personally).

I like the rest of the armour, it's kinda nutral and fits to the existing morghasts (which I like).  As they choose those big round shields, I wonder why the didn't stick with this kinda greek hoplit theme and added some bristle helmets or armoured uruk hai helmets.

I will have to compare them sizewise with ordinary skeletons...

Edited by Dolinarius

Posted (edited)

I would have wanted this to have a more Egyptian aesthetic, and I hate their noses and stupid grin, but the Mortarch is a very good model, so there's that. And the paint job can do a lot to change the feel of these guys. For instance, the first thing I'd do is change the obsidian to verdigris. I know the obsidian purplish is a complimentary of bone, but I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of material is that.

Bone andthe washed green-blue of the verdigris can look great, and we already know bone and bronze go well together, it contrasts in intensity with the paleness of the bone, and along with an accent color like burgundy, turquoise or regal blue, it can look neat. Like so: 

New-Ossiarch.png

New Ossiarch.bmp

If you swap the heads with Tomb Guard, it can look neat.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 2

I really hope we get more models like that Samurai dude, he is badass. 

Anyone know what this could be? I thought it was a catapult but the big banner on top throws me off. Reckon it could be something new? 

Screenshot_20190829-140256_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Dolinarius said:

I wonder, if you may paint those "plates" which cover the "bones" (can't be real bones because they a constructs but it looks like bones at the knees for example)  like skin and the "bones" as u guessed it - bones.  So you make them look more organic.

Pretty sure they ARE made of actual bone - just bone that has been molded and shaped magically into something more useful.  Sort of like Eldar wraithbone in 40k

I think that is their whole bag - that they use bone as a malleable raw material that they morph into different things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I would have wanted this to have a more Egyptian aesthetic, and I hate their noses and stupid grin, but the Mortarch is a very good model, so there's that. And the paint job can do a lot to change the feel of these guys. For instance, the first thing I'd do is change the obsidian to verdigris. I know the obsidian purplish is a complimentary of bone, but I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of material is that.

Bone andthe washed green-blue of the verdigris can look great, and we already know bone and bronze go well together, it contrasts in intensity with the paleness of the bone, and along with an accent color like burgundy, turquoise or regal blue, it can look neat. Like so: 

New-Ossiarch.png

New Ossiarch.bmp 537.42 kB · 4 downloads

If you swap the heads with Tomb Guard, it can look neat.

I really like this recolor.  I think that the best part of them is that since they are "constructed" out of bone rather than being skeletons it removes the expectation that their bodies should be painted "like bones".  Undead armies have always had an issue looking similar since the major aesthetic and color scheme is "bones all the way down" . 

Vampire Counts got away from this by including Vampires, spirits, undead wolves and bats.

Tomb Kings got away from this by including a bunch of constructed and going heavy in on the Egyptian decoration (mummies, masks, armor, big shields, things made of "not bone".

This new army gets away from the bone problem indirectly.  Their non-bone bones can be painted in other colors to simulate other materials fairly easily.  You could do grey stone, red stone, obsidian, marble, jade, terracotta, or even metal.  The possibilities are really astounding.  

IF I collect them, I've already got my idea: Terracotta "Bones" and Jade armor. :D

If you don’t like the noses, you may be in luck. Look at this picture.978A3C8F-4D6F-4C3D-8F17-15BF93F912E2.png.5ad077b7779e67ee20a769ecce78cf0c.png

The infantry in the bottom left and bottom right of this picture are lacking in the nose department. 

This leader is also lacking a nose.8B200896-0AD0-4B13-8166-C4F5F8053106.png.e7caa2c3456440ddf5296c40f2f10949.png

I must admit it does make them look better.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Really surprised by these guys and how fresh they feel- mostly brilliant models and concept. Liking the quintesson style heads of the 4 armed dudes most. Curious how their rules will work- i can see tactical choices between say a 'duellist' personality with a great to hit and rend, and another more bloodthirsty one with a tonne of attacks perhaps

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lowki said:

Also much depends on the paintjob. I find them much better looking in the video than they look on the official pictures. So curious how people going to paint them. Personally I think I wouldn't paint all the leg and arm covers as bones. I guess that already would give them a less thick, Robo look that they do now.

My thoughts exactly. I feel like this really effects the Mortarch in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with these models once they hit the shelves.

As much as I like the design on these guys, I can't shake this sinister feeling that a few GA: Death models might be on 'Last Chance to Buy' in the near future.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Lord marcus said:

I dislike the rictus grin

I wouldn't have minded it on "Death Jester" type of stalker troops, but on common soldiers it feels like it doesn't fit the theme. Why would Nagash make troops that smile, him being stern and serious to the point of parody, and his model of the world, one with no emotion? I'd rather like that each Mortarch could bring some of himself to the table in the form of special troops that fit his own character.

A kind of "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors and folktale rejects would fit the grinning bone construct better than an unemotional horde of tax collectors, honestly.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 3

First, I love the models.

Second, I can imagine, in a distant future, that they will replace grave guards and black knights. They are too similar.concerning the far future of skeleton warriors, that’s another story

With the people who are upset about the models, I would like to see some their ideas of what they wanted in a drawing. Cause from what I see, people explaining what aesthetics they should be, it's kinda hard to picture what they want without looking like TK.  Some say it looks cartoony, silly and have weird smiles, fair enough. ( need lips to do so)

I just wanted a death army and don't care about what they look like. If I wanted skeletons then I'll buy a box of the old ones.

@pseudonyme There is small, yet important difference - Grave Guard and Black Knights are reanimated skeletons, those are constructs.

40 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I wouldn't have minded it on "Death Jester" type of stalker troops, but on common soldiers it feels like it doesn't fit the theme. Why would Nagash make troops that smile, him being stern and serious to the point of parody, and his model of the world, one with no emotion? I'd rather like that each Mortarch could bring some of himself to the table in the form of special troops that fit his own character.

A kind of "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors and folktale rejects would fit the grinning bone construct better than an unemotional horde of tax collectors, honestly.

I prefer the "skeleton face" over this ones, but I can see a lot of diferent directions to why they did them like that.

I don't know, but if someone explains that they have this type of "creepy" smiles to produce some fear, giving the feeling that this "monsters"have some type of personality and they enjoy what are they going to do to you if you don't pay (I believe that the samurai/oni masks were used to do the same), then I must say that I will understand why they went with this faces, even if there are a lot of other type of awesome designs that they could do too.

Btw, I really like the concept of a "Halloween Cavalcade" of undead horrors!! 

I posted my opinion on the smiles in the bonereapers thread but these guys are sentient and not just puppets like our usual skellis. They also serve under a mortarch that admits he enjoys his job,so it wouldn't be a surprise for some of that to rub off on his men. After all they've been at this for centuries, after a while you either become numb to what you do or learn to enjoy it. So I wouldn't be surprised if they crack some grins every time their generals deem the tithe to be unacceptable. Also they are literally souls in bone armour, literally deathcast. So it would be very nagash to have his constructs be twisted mirrors of sigmar's greatest creations, evil grins and laughing smiles to contrast the stoic masks worn by sigmars own creations. Nagash may come across as no nonesense and emotionless, but ****** with people is absolutely his guilty pleasure, much like the nighthaunt's eternal punishments are crule mockeries of the lives they lived, the bonereapers are a mockery of sigmar's past millennia's work and any little dig at the other gods he can get is one Nagash would probably take.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Getthefeckback said:

Cause from what I see, people explaining what aesthetics they should be, it's kinda hard to picture what they want without looking like TK. 

The only thing I couldn't get over are the heads, and it looks like  (based on the pictures above your post) there are options to give them "normal" skeleton ones. Even if there are only a few per kit, it takes less than 15 bucks to get the materials to cast your own. It's such a minor thing, but the different heads literally save the faction for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

I really hope we get more models like that Samurai dude, he is badass. 

Anyone know what this could be? I thought it was a catapult but the big banner on top throws me off. Reckon it could be something new? 

Screenshot_20190829-140256_Chrome.jpg

uricxKuabAs.jpg

Look at the background behind left dude. There are a rumor part Nagashs tentacles, so there are terrain or a monster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like them. The  fact they are new and bringing something different to the table is cool. There has literally been 30+ years of generic fantasy skeletons released and  dozens of versions from different providors. Some people seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of re;ease, tweak, update, repeat. 

• Like 1

I like it, but I did hope for an infantry ranged (preferable bow).

13 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I like it, but I did hope for an infantry ranged (preferable bow).

I'd like to see some range too. And it fits well with their more martial theme as well, maybe not now a ibwpuld expect to see something unique though these days from GW