The Tithe - Speculation.

Kronos

I admit I am far from an expert on Chinese history...doesn't go much further than Kungfu and Bruce Lee :)

But yes Google/wiki says...it is Manchu, and during Qing Dynasty (which had Manchu Origin?) It was was actually required for HAN Chinese (which gave resistance). As for the look

main-qimg-bd59614904a3e62fbdf429c4ec55e7de.jpg.0491129f305cb1d011f4e03bb6845ea6.jpg

Now I think the mid Qing Dynasty look?!

Edited by Lowki

22 minutes ago, Lowki said:

This is what I mean:

tail.gif.7045de4659c4cb5a0a1f56be3217d369.gif

Now I enlarged it, I start to doubt for a bit. But if not a tail, what else could it be? a bit like small bones?

Almost looks like something similar is coming down onto the other shoulder, kinda makes me thing it's some kind of headpiece or part of the outfit that extends out above or behind the head. Could even be part of a shoulder brace that supports the coffin on his back.

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes
  • Like 2

In general I don't think there is a vast amount of egyptian influence in this design, but honestly that bit to the side of the head looks more like an Egyptian nemes headdress than a Chinese queue!

If it weren't for the fact that the top of the head looks more like a conical helm anyway...

The more I look at it, actually, the more I think it just looks like a string of bones!

• Like 1

Yeah, got to agree...definitely not a queue I think...hard to tell what it is exactly. I actually should stop looking at it..as I start to see weird things now, like that conical helmet you refer too,  as the more I look at it, the more it looks like e German WII helmet...which would be interesting theme indeed.

Edited by Lowki

12 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Yeah, got to agree...definitely not a queue I think...hard to tell what it is exactly. I actually should stop looking at it..as I start to see weird things now, like that conical helmet you refer too,  as the more I look at it, the more it looks like e German WII helmet...which would be interesting theme indeed.

Interesting. I just flicked back to see if I could see a German helmet. And it definitely looks like one.

Only I can see a WWI helmet, because clearly I only skim read your post, and so was looking for the wrong thing!

I think its like an ink blot test at this point. If you look hard enough you can see anything!

On 8/18/2019 at 1:09 PM, Jeff Egan said:

1. There will be a Looncurse style boxed set featuring Ogors and this Bone Tithe army.

2. This box will feature (at least) two new models: an ogor tyrant and this Bone Tithe judge character

I try to understand GW's business model and look for patterns in their releases.  There are a lot of similarities between all their boxset releases in terms of timing, sprue count, format, etc.  and I was thinking....

What if, instead of a Looncurse style box set, we get a Shadowspear style (ETB box set)?  To clarify, let me distinguish between the 2 types of big boxes GW is releasing right now:
1. Starter Sets - All new sculpts, easy to build. Dark Imperium, Soul Wars, Shadowspear, Deathwatch Overkill,

2. "Battle boxes" - Whatever you want to call them. 2 armies, mostly old kits, with 1 new hero thrown in on each side (Carrion Empire, Looncurse, Wake the Dead)

That is to say, instead of a bunch of old plastic kits, new, monopose, starter set style kits. 

Reasons:

1. We think the new death army will be a big release with at least several new models/kits. 
    1. They are not going to sell brand new models at a discount (I was suprised when Looncurse came out only 4 months after gloomspite released.)  If the box contains more new models than just a hero or two, it will be quite a while before we set it.
    2. They're not going to promote it with a big box of old junk (skeletons and ogors are ok but not amazing kits. And the ogors take a lot of sprue space
  2. There was a (very sketchy) rumour that ogors are getting a new Butcher as well. Makes sense since the current butcher situation is a mess (2 models, different rules, both resin)
    1. Looncurse/Carrion Empire / etc style boxes typically have 1 new hero per side and then a bunch of old stuff. 
    2. With a all new ETB release they can put more heroes in (shadowspear had 4 total heroes, all on their own sprues)
  3. AoS has not had any of these "mid edition" ETB boxes yet. 
    1. What happens in AoS / 40k from a productization stand point is likely to happen in the other. 
    2. GW loves ETB. More models on a sprue, Great to get new people into the hobby. Make great sculpts with less work.  If this isn't the ETB box set, expect one soon (before AoS 3.0)

So what do you guys think.  100% we are getting a "Shadowspear" style box Ogors vs Death... right?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I try to understand GW's business model and look for patterns in their releases.  There are a lot of similarities between all their boxset releases in terms of timing, sprue count, format, etc.  and I was thinking....

What if, instead of a Looncurse style box set, we get a Shadowspear style (ETB box set)?  To clarify, let me distinguish between the 2 types of big boxes GW is releasing right now:
1. Starter Sets - All new sculpts, easy to build. Dark Imperium, Soul Wars, Shadowspear, Deathwatch Overkill,

2. "Battle boxes" - Whatever you want to call them. 2 armies, mostly old kits, with 1 new hero thrown in on each side (Carrion Empire, Looncurse, Wake the Dead)

That is to say, instead of a bunch of old plastic kits, new, monopose, starter set style kits. 

Reasons:

1. We think the new death army will be a big release with at least several new models/kits. 
    1. They are not going to sell brand new models at a discount (I was suprised when Looncurse came out only 4 months after gloomspite released.)  If the box contains more new models than just a hero or two, it will be quite a while before we set it.
    2. They're not going to promote it with a big box of old junk (skeletons and ogors are ok but not amazing kits. And the ogors take a lot of sprue space
  2. There was a (very sketchy) rumour that ogors are getting a new Butcher as well. Makes sense since the current butcher situation is a mess (2 models, different rules, both resin)
    1. Looncurse/Carrion Empire / etc style boxes typically have 1 new hero per side and then a bunch of old stuff. 
    2. With a all new ETB release they can put more heroes in (shadowspear had 4 total heroes, all on their own sprues)
  3. AoS has not had any of these "mid edition" ETB boxes yet. 
    1. What happens in AoS / 40k from a productization stand point is likely to happen in the other. 
    2. GW loves ETB. More models on a sprue, Great to get new people into the hobby. Make great sculpts with less work.  If this isn't the ETB box set, expect one soon (before AoS 3.0)

So what do you guys think.  100% we are getting a "Shadowspear" style box Ogors vs Death... right?? 

I'm about 50/50 on it. The promotional material sets it up perfectly (pact of bones, tithe of bones, feast of bones) And soul wars was the start of a story arc set in shyish and introduced through box sets a new army and new models for an existing army. We may see a "feast of bones" event that kicks off the ghur story arc introducing the new death faction as well as new kits for ogors. It would be a cool trend to do this with every story arc and cycle the alliances involved (realmgate wars focused on chaos and order, soul wars focused on death and order, new arc focused on death and destruction, next arc on destruction and chaos (new orruks and update a god army like slaanesh mortals), then mix up for chaos and death (soulblight vs khorne for blood themed release?) or destruction and order(New or updated duardin vs new or updated orruks for the good old rivalry)) each arc beginning with a new army release and an update to a core army for the rival alliance. It's still too early to say this is the trend they're going with but it would make sense and would help each alliance get some time in the spotlight unlike 40k which focuses too heavily on imperium and chaos with aeldari as side characters and the other xenos as guest appearances.

Edited by Lucky Snake Eyes
  • Like 1

What if this undead guy is a bit like Mumra and game playwise a bit like Morathi. 

We have some Skele dude walking round with a sarcophagus on his back, that contains evil dead guy remains.  Once the tithe of bones reaches a certain level, in game, pop the coffin lid and giant evil mumra pops out and starts to wreck people !!

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. BOIIIIS! Sorry it's not letting post the link on my phone, new part of the tithe vid is out, we getting a full reveal at Nova.

These guys look BAD.ASS!!! Oh my god I can't contain the hype 

EDIT:https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/25/the-tithe-episode-iii-mortarch/

Edited by Black_Templar_Lad
  • Like 1

Seriously I can't express how excited I am for this. I've been planning some Samurai themed models for aaages constantly umming and arrghing over potential base models, using green stuff etc. Then these guys with the segmented armour and helmets are closing in. PERFECT.

Honestly they look like the perfect replacement for TK, the oriental design mixed with Death just looks magical.