The Tithe - Speculation.

Kronos

12 minutes ago, xking said:

My God, y'all this is Warhammer. It always had silly things in it, there were  dwarf miners for the literal giant candles on their head. ( at least when I learned about Warhammer that is)

In fact, you are right @xking

Let say it simply doesn't work for me.  Nothing wrong with silly models as a general principle :)

Edited by Planar
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cronotekk said:

Are people really upset that this wasn't a generic skeleton army like Tomb Kings? Legions of Nagash is already the skeleton army

Not upset. More like disappointed. And no Legions of Nagash isn't really that. ^^

13 minutes ago, Cronotekk said:

Are people really upset that this wasn't a generic skeleton army like Tomb Kings? Legions of Nagash is already the skeleton army

Many were expecting a skeleton update. Or at least something with skeleton aestethic, because Skeletor-cosplaying-tyranid surely isn't that :D

• Like 2

Skipping on passing judgement on the aesthetics, as to each their own, what I'm thinking about in regards to this death construct faction is the possible paint schemes. I may not be the most imaginative out there, but seeing as everything is bone related might limit the color range a bit. I mean I can see some people maybe going the necron route and doing metallic constructs, but the grey/brown/creme hues of bone feels kind of limiting.

It'll be super interesting, thought, to see what kind of paint schemes people with more vision and imagination will come up with.

• Like 2

Also don't forget because of the way they are formed you can paint them different colours and change what they are - go for metallics and you've got your "metal warriors" go for a clay/terracotta nad you've got a terracotta army etc... I think different paint schemes will really bring them to life; plus don't forget model impressions can shift on two key moments;

1) Seeing the models in the flesh

2) Expansion of the range. This one seems odd, but I'll illustrate it with an example. When I saw Genestealer Cultists I was fairly "meh". It wasn't that they weren't good sculpts, but that I just didn't like the overall feel and look of the army. It didn't help that their rockbuster vehicles were quite at odds with Imperial ones that they were likely goin to steal a lot of. At that time they were a bolt-on extra with a very different visual style to the Imperial Guard.

Then when the second wave hit they changed entirely. Suddenly they had several more vehicles that matched their starting asthetic; they gained some new awesome looking models that started to flesh the range out. They shifted overnight from a bolt-on extra that looked different into a fully fledged army that could take some "bolt on extra Imperials" instead. The increase in the range solidified the range and made them far more interesting as a force. 

I think this army will be a bit the same for some people. Right now they've one construct and only a few  troops on show - I think a few more - widen their range variety - and they'll start to come together in peoples minds. Right now they've only got a handful of units; no duel kits on show and clearly need a good second wave. 

I like the theory of the constructs and the tbh the smiles are sufficiently creepy that they win me over (less so the noses... something can look dumb even if there's apparent background justification) but they really fall down on the posing. Static and imposing, fine, good idea, but these dudes have weird old-fashioned 90's space marine squatting poses and their weapons held out right in front of them awkwardly. Same with the four-arm dudes, those are dreadful weightless action figure poses with no sense  of being stately automata. Look at the old ushabti as a comparison, didn't do anything in particular to appear like statues but by god from their poses they felt big and slow-moving and swinging weighty blades.

Combine that with the chunkiness of the detail (great concepts, wonderful design, iffy implementation) and to my mind you have something that goes beyond fixable with a head swap. By contrast the cavalry, and particularly the noseless champion, look much better in this regard and of course the characters are exquisite. This may be a personal taste thing in part but I really do feel like while the design/concept work is great, it hasn't come through in the models. In that they're unlike the Nighthaunt range, which has great concept/design work that ties directly into their amazing sculpting (not a dud in the range) and an incredible level of technical engineering accomplishment.

I would also say that there's more to a model being dynamic than being in an action-y battlefield post. The Mortarch is dynamic in the extreme, just that the internal movement and implied tension in his pose are subtle and naturalistic. It's that good good contrapposto, with all that brings up from the sculptors' art history background. RE: the scenery, it's a snapshot, just as much as Mannfred's steed leading into the air is, just as much as Reikenor's, just as much as any model that has any kind of pose.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Panzer said:

As a Tomb Kings player I can assure you ... no those are definitely not even close to be a replacement. Very different feel and design to them.

And as a Warhammer enthusiast I entirely disagree with you. Much like Kurnothi, Idoneth, Nighthaunt and Fyreslayers these fellas here are the replacement of an old world faction. And frankly The TK’s aesthetic would have stuck out like a sore thumb. So these guys tick the box of constructs, liches and Grand emperor/king as a lord, and warmachines. The Horses remind me very much of thr ushabati with the varied skulls. 

regarding the paint theme,

I like the way the general next to the mortarch and the caster go away from being boney to this black dread abyssal-ish theme. I painted my dreadabyssal black with red skulls, because I didn't like the idea of a big, flying heap of bones under Manfred's white a$$ ;)

But anyway, for me, the paint theme doesn't change the asia astetic so I'm still out of it...

Edited by Dolinarius

5 minutes ago, Kronos said:

And as a Warhammer enthusiast I entirely disagree with you. Much like Kurnothi, Idoneth, Nighthaunt and Fyreslayers these fellas here are the replacement of an old world faction. And frankly The TK’s aesthetic would have stuck out like a sore thumb. So these guys tick the box of constructs, liches and Grand emperor/king as a lord, and warmachines. The Horses remind me very much of thr ushabati with the varied skulls. 

The horses remind me of demigriff skeleton 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kronos said:

Nighthaunt are just an extension of the few ghost/spirit models that already existed in the Vampire line in WHFB.
Fyreslayers are just an extension of the few Slayer models that already existed in the Dwarfs line in WHFB (and the White Dwarf Slayers list).
Kurnoth are an extension of the few Dryad models that already existed in the Woodelfs line in WHFB (though with a bit of a new spin).
Idoneth are completely new and borrow veeeerry little of the sea themed models from the Highelf and Darkelf lines in WHFB.

Likewise this new Death army is just an extension of the Morghast models we got during end times. They tick a few boxes but leave many many boxes empty.

You may be a Warhammer enthusiast but so is everyone else here and obviously people have very different opinions about things despite that.

13 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Nighthaunt are just an extension of the few ghost/spirit models that already existed in the Vampire line in WHFB.
Fyreslayers are just an extension of the few Slayer models that already existed in the Dwarfs line in WHFB (and the White Dwarf Slayers list).
Kurnoth are an extension of the few Dryad models that already existed in the Woodelfs line in WHFB (though with a bit of a new spin).
Idoneth are completely new and borrow veeeerry little of the sea themed models from the Highelf and Darkelf lines in WHFB.

Likewise this new Death army is just an extension of the Morghast models we got during end times. They tick a few boxes but leave many many boxes empty.

You may be a Warhammer enthusiast but so is everyone else here and obviously people have very different opinions about things despite that.

I know, I said it was cool that you had different opinion, frankly I don’t really give much of a care what you like. But you been posting quite rudely in the last few pages with “your point is” and “i collect (really doesn’t entitle anything)”  “well done”... Just seems your venting your frustration that the plastic skeletons aren't the plastic skeletons you wanted.

I’m leaving it there dude.

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I know, I said it was cool that you had different opinion, frankly I don’t really give much of a care what you like. But you been posting quite rudely in the last few pages with “your point is” and “i collect”  “well done”... Just seems your venting your frustration that the plastic skeletons aren't the plastic skeletons you wanted.

I’m leaving it there dude.

So your reaction to someone who you think is venting is to antagonize him? Quite a weird appraoch.
Though I can assure I'm not venting.  I'm just sharing my opinion like people are supposed to in a forum last time I checked.

Edited by Panzer

It would be great if people.could just admit they were overly hopeful on TK coming back and have now been dissapointed.  These are the spirutual successor to TK, no it's not exactly what you want but is was the obvious way they'd go and I think they've knocked it out the park!

I  actually think a TK force led by settra would work as an army of GA order. With some lines still  passable. 

But this faction checks a lot of  boxes for me! Undead riders, skeletal warmachine, great characters all based on the morghast aesthetic  . If we see some bone giant type monster's  , missile troops etc this is going to be  an amazing release. 

Not sold on the posing of the normal troops, little bit awkward looking for GWs usual standards recently. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CDM said:

It would be great if people.could just admit they were overly hopeful on TK coming back and have now been dissapointed.  These are the spirutual successor to TK, no it's not exactly what you want but is was the obvious way they'd go and I think they've knocked it out the park!

I  actually think a TK force led by settra would work as an army of GA order. With some lines still  passable. 

But this faction checks a lot of  boxes for me! Undead riders, skeletal warmachine, great characters all based on the morghast aesthetic  . If we see some bone giant type monster's  , missile troops etc this is going to be  an amazing release. 

Not sold on the posing of the normal troops, little bit awkward looking for GWs usual standards recently. 

Oh I do admit that. Already admitted it before elsewhere too. Doesn't affect my opinion on this new army though since I was mostly hoping for ANY proper skeleton army, not specifically Tomb Kings which was ruled out by the trailers already anyway.

And no, I still disagree they are the spiritual successor to TK. They are the extension of Morghast. Saying they are the spirital successor to TK is like saying Nighthaunt are the spiritual successor to VC.
It would be great if people could just accept that instead of trying to push the TK label on something that doesn't fit just to silence the TK fans.

• Like 1

Just now, Panzer said:

Oh I do admit that. Already admitted it before elsewhere too. Doesn't affect my opinion on this new army though since I was mostly hoping for ANY proper skeleton army, not specifically Tomb Kings which was ruled out by the trailers already anyway.

And no, I still disagree they are the spiritual successor to TK. They are the extension of Morghast. Saying they are the spirital successor to TK is like saying Nighthaunt are the spiritual successor to VC.
It would be great if people could just accept that instead of trying to push the TK label on something that doesn't fit just to silence the TK fans.

I'm a Tomb King fan and these guys are Tomb King spiritual successor, there is nothing else we will get estetically closer to TK than that. 

And I will be happy collecting Nagash's Collectors

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, XReN said:

I'm a Tomb King fan and these guys are Tomb King spiritual successor, there is nothing else we will get estetically closer to TK than that. 

And I will be happy collecting Nagash's Collectors

Well then we have to agree to disagree I guess. I'm not trying to claim that all Tomb King fans have the same opinions and preferences. ^^

2 hours ago, ArmitageShanks said:

...as everything is bone related might limit the color range a bit. 

I see the bone constructs as similar to plastic.  While being manufactured into the desired shape it can be painted whatever colour you have to hand. Failing that they could be painted up afterwards. 

Well the good news is that this army will probably not grow my pile of grey plastic any further. Not saying I am disappointed. If I was it would have been right after seeing the 3rd teaser video as it was pretty clear the new army resembles a lot of the Morghast, which aren't among my favorite sculpts, not to say I just don't like them.

It is not that I dislike the new models, and I wouldn't call them bad sculpts either(not at all), its just that there are armies that I like more. So if I wanted to start a new army next to the two I am already painting (very slow progress) I probably wouldn't choose this one. I appreciate the creativity and how GW makes them look very original and unique, but its a bit to much futuristic/cartoonish for my, I guess, more traditional mindset. I would be over the moon with a bit more traditional looking skeletons in similar samurai/Asian like armor and setting. I like the Lore too. 

I actually do like some of the models though. I think the death riders  are fantastic, the war machine I find interesting, impressed by the size of it too, and I really like the commanders accompanying the motarch, lets hope the kit also allow you to have them on a separate base and having a warscroll on its own. If the whole army were like them I was probably sold. Still not impossible I will buy some of them in the end. If they are indeed in a box together with ogres, including the new Tyrant and hopefully a new butcher, then, provided the price is right, it would be an instant buy for me.  

Also much depends on the paintjob. I find them much better looking in the video than they look on the official pictures. So curious how people going to paint them. Personally I think I wouldn't paint all the leg and arm covers as bones. I guess that already would give them a less thick, Robo look that they do now.

Edited by Lowki

Just now, Panzer said:

Well then we have to agree to disagree I guess. I'm not trying to claim that all Tomb King fans have the same opinions and preferences. ^^

It is undeniable that there are Egyptian aesthetic touches in these models.  It's there for all to see - these models are a jumble of different aesthetic choices, and Egyptian styles are certainly one of them.  That is more fact than opinion.

Where the opinion comes in is whatever you define "spiritual successor" to be.  To some, that they look kinda-sorta-partly Egyptian, (as well as being more "military" than the usual Nagash crew) is enough to hit the "spiritual successor definition.  Others were pretty clearly looking for TK 2.0, and so anything short of that, and they are apparently absolutely not TK in any way shape or form.

To each their own, I suppose

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eldarain said:

This is a very honest response. I always laugh when some ugly models get OP rules in an update and you suddenly see legions of players including them talking about how they always liked the sculpts/lore. Sure you did...

I have encountered that.  The group I play with are all pretty honest though.  The aesthetics are nice but the real requirement we have to field models is how powerful are they on the table and are they optimal points efficient for the army roster.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Panzer said:

As a Tomb Kings player I can assure you ... no those are definitely not even close to be a replacement. Very different feel and design to them.

Agreed. While there are a few echos of my beloved Tomb Kings, it's a real stretch to say these are somehow an update to them.

Also, they are not Necrons, Tyranids, or anything else. This is a distinctly different army with a totally different background (from what we've seen) and look. 

It's lazy and simplistic to draw comparisons to those armies, especially Necrons.

• Thanks 2