The Tithe - Speculation.

Kronos

On 8/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, Elmir said:

I've been saying on the FB groups for a while now, that I suspect this will be more about reanimants than about deathrattle... 

Especially seeing how the armor resembles that of the morghasts so much. 

It would also tie in a lot more with the end times releases for death: 
Nagash and his three mortarchs --> LoN
Spirit hosts --> complete nighthaunt/malignant rework
Morghasts --> complete reanimant rework. 

I'm not sure they are skeletons even...  I'm looking at the video and these guys feel too "beefy" almost for skeletons (except ofc the mounts): 

That, and the armor being identical to the Morghasts, makes me lean more towards reanimants as opposed to skeletons. 

"These are not risen warriors or malignant spirits – they are bespoke war-constructs forged from harvested bone and gifted the soul animus of great warriors and heroes. "

I'm not even going to try to be humble... called it! I'm just hoping Morghasts are also used in that new book, because that'll make me even happier than I am now!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, xking said:

There are people that actually think that these models are ugly? I mean, I'm not interested in the faction, but I don't think they're ugly. 

Not only do they A) look a bit goofy/ outdated (already) on day number 1, but B) they look closer to necrons than actual skeletons...  Doesn't fit my kind of fantasy for me.

I'm not saying they had to be generic skellies, but in comparison the sepulchral guard do look much better to me and scratch that classic skeleton army itch while also having more dynamic poses.

Related imageRelated image

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 3

I feel meh..... and that is sad as I am a huge death fa'n and have every death army and have been looking very much forward to this, while some of it is nice, it looks mostly goofy or even warmachiney which is sad as the teasers and concept art is way more down my over the top grimdark ally... hope a better paint scheme or alternate builds/heads can fix them..

• Like 1

There's also one thing I noticed in the video... The scenery. 

There's a scene with the army laid out in front of repeating wall sections made of bone and skin. Either their bespoke terrain team made something that they were able to replicate several time (pretty much flawlessly), or we might be looking at a new necropolis wall section for potential use in siege games (like the old Khorne fortress). 

On a pure technical level details an stuff they are good, but it's the style and aesthetics that are kinda all over. Some stuff looks really cool and most of it looks like someone but a bunch of random bone bits together. It's hard to pick out one coherent theme. I think there are way too much in this army. Got a feeling it's going to be a bit of a dud faction honestly in terms of sales. I mean this is 3rd times GW tried the tomb kings aesthetics now. TK, Necrons, and now these guys and other than a very small local niche who love it its going to be forgotten. 

I will say they aren't the worst army around. Just kinda meh. Somewhere around C tier in terms of how cool they look. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

On a pure technical level details an stuff they are good, but it's the style and aesthetics that are kinda all over. Some stuff looks really cool and most of it looks like someone but a bunch of random bone bits together. It's hard to pick out one coherent theme. I think there are way too much in this army. Got a feeling it's going to be a bit of a dud faction honestly in terms of sales. I mean this is 3rd times GW tried the tomb kings aesthetics now. TK, Necrons, and now these guys and other than a very small local niche who love it its going to be forgotten. 

I will say they aren't the worst army around. Just kinda meh. Somewhere around C tier in terms of how cool they look. 

I really don’t know how you can judge how well they’re going to sell. Tomb Kings didn’t sell because they weren’t updated (rules or models) for a long time, and when they were fantasy wasn’t doing well anyway and they didn’t have great rules post update. I don’t know how well Necrons do but it seems to be as good as any other Xenos army. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Still-young said:

I really don’t know how you can judge how well they’re going to sell. Tomb Kings didn’t sell because they weren’t updated (rules or models) for a long time, and when they were fantasy wasn’t doing well anyway and they didn’t have great rules post update. I don’t know how well Necrons do but it seems to be as good as any other Xenos army. 

Considering they don't even have their own thread in the death section yet. That is a very ominous sign. It's been 6 hours since the name dropped and no one cares. If I were GW I would be very worried if they seen that lol. It's not that the army is hated it's... irrelevant and no one cares which is way worse. 

Edited by Barkanaut

4 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

Considering they don't even have their own thread in the death section yet. That is a very ominous sign. It's been 6 hours since the name dropped and no one cares. If I were GW I would be very worried if they seen that lol. It's not that the army is hated it's... irrelevant and no one cares which is way worse. 

So based on the fact that they don’t have a thread yet when a lot of people will still be asleep and we know nothing about rules or anything yet you think GW should be worried? I really don’t think that’s the ‘ominous sign’ you think it is, and it just seems like you think they’ll fail because you don’t like them. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Barkanaut said:

I mean this is 3rd times GW tried the tomb kings aesthetics now. TK, Necrons, and now these guys and other than a very small local niche who love it its going to be forgotten. 

Just no. These models are so far away from the Tomb Kings aesthetics it's not even funny. If they were anywhere near Tomb Kings I'd like them but I really really don't.

8 minutes ago, Getthefeckback said:

There are some unhappy bunnies. Tomb Kings are dead ( no pun intended) and I don't care really, I waited 18 years for TK since they announced they were getting rid and gave up on dreaming that they would come back.  People don't like change, well unfortunately that's life.

Most criticisms i have seen don't even mention TK.

Can't say I'm a huge fan. Not for any particularly profound reason, just these models don't quite grab me; just feels like there's some 'wow' factor missing. I'm not sure, maybe it's because they feel a bit generic generic looking, or don't have a coherent theme throughout? I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Not only do they A) look a bit goofy/ outdated (already) on day number 1, but B) they look closer to necrons than actual skeletons...  Doesn't fit my kind of fantasy for me.

I must disagree.

A) They don't look outdated, they just look diferent from what people wanted, and people wanted dinamic skeletons with maybe a twist. That's not the miniature problem btw (at least, for about 80% of people that don't like this miniatures). Of course there are some desgings that could be better, that happens in very army.

B) Necrons are designed after Terminators. Terminators are robo-skeletons. The only diference is that Necrons have a thin coat of "neo-pharaoh" style (Tomb Kings in space).
I find that fantasy skeletons with some type of future-weapons and painted with metal are "more" Necrons than this miniatures. Bonereapers seems to take aesthetics from mongols, japanese and eastern cultures than just reimagined Tomb Kings in space. The only thing that Necrons and Bonereapers have in common is that they look  a bit "biffier" than normal skeletons.

• Thanks 1

my wallat says "thx GW" - I gonna pass.

I like the mortarch, although it looks more like a diorama than a tabletop model and the artillery is great too, but everything else is too much samurai-asia-style for me personally.

The cav looks ok, more massiv than black knights, but all in all the whole release seems too comically to me and it doesn't fit to GA death as I like it (more darker and dangerous, less comic). I mean, look at those infantry guys with their grins and than look at the chief of the spectral guard...

I think I gonna add one or two katapults to my deathrattle heavy army and pass for the rest...

edit:

what I expected was more like heavier armoured and/or dynamic skeletons, maybe with a new design, less "reanimated medieval soldier", but not reanimated samurai :( (although it was kinda clear).  Total War went down the same asian road as many other gaming companies and I never liked the outcome - but that's just me.

Edited by Dolinarius
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Zanzou said:

I'm not saying they had to be generic skellies, but in comparison the sepulchral guard do look much better to me and scratch that classic skeleton army itch while also having more dynamic poses.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here, personally I think they look great and I don't really understand all these comparisons to necrons. If anything I would argue they have more in common with Nagash, the morghast, the mortarch's mounts and even the old tomb kings from what we've seen than necrons. But to each their own. That said I do hope Legions of Nagash/Deathrattle actually get new sculpts and units in the future, those sepulchral guard are pretty awesome.

• Like 4

Pass for me.

I like where the lore is going.

I like the hero models.

Overall though, the robo-bone dudes look a bit silly , in my eyes at least.

Compared to the utter brilliance, the dynamism and the horror-inspiring design of the Nighthaunt range, these feel dissapointingly cartoony.

image.png.e6a6863ce4d20b411c7bba16bf0051a0.png

image.png

Edited by Planar
  • Like 3

I'm a bit disappointed.

I try to explain (sorry for my poor english). Models are interesting, and well detailed. But seems to me the fantasy version of a 40k army (almost necron, or halfway necron/tyranid). At first impression is something that will never fit with the rest of my undead army (almost skeletons). Except Morghast of course.

War machine and scenic are nice, by the way.

I'm almost sure I won't play the new faction by itself. Adding units  to my Grand Host of Nagash (if it will be admitted by game rules of course!) , I'm not sure. To be honest, models in the photo Dracan posted looks better than previous pictures.

Probably I need some time to watch new models better

8 minutes ago, xking said:

My God, y'all this is Warhammer. It always had silly things in it, there were  dwarf miners for the literal giant candles on their head. ( at least when I learned about Warhammer that is)

Your point is? Can't people dislike things anymore?

• Like 1