The Tithe - Speculation.

Kronos

Just now, KriticalKhan said:

They look..... interesting

Pretty disappointed that those little guys are (presumably) stuck on the Mortarch's base, they look like they'd make pretty neat individual heroes.

My thoughts exactly. They had their own Asian feel, but the rest of the army doesn't follow through. I have to say, I'm not wild about them, but then again, I wasn't with the fish elves either. The army book will be an interesting read, though.

@kenshin620 fantasy Necrons indeed, which makes a change, so truly the replacment of Tomb Kings.

Great looking minis, awesome Mortarch, His Bone armour reminds me of the Pro etheus Engineers suit, and to an extent even Ultron. Beautiful mini, the foot soldiers look great not crazy on their whacky faces though, would prefer masks like the Nighthaunt have. Or hell even a necron face. The Catapult is a great looking kit too, they really pulled it out the bag on reimagining the screaming skull catapult, hoped thee’d be a colossus or giant of sorts. But overall pleased with the release. 

• Like 1

I really hope there is a shooting variant of those 4 armed guys.  A death army with a bit of shooting would be really fun to play.

My wish list is a bone giant, archers (either mounted or on foot) and a construct monster (similar to the tomb king scorpion).

• Like 1

I think I need to see these guys in person in a better paint scheme before I can like them. The joker smiles on the foot soldiers look.... weird. But I like everything else about them! Even the four armed sword fighters.

cant wait to have my idoneth crack them open for their tasty souls!

I really felt like I needed to share:

Ever since 6th ed WHFB, I have wanted to do a Vampire Counts Army without Vampires. Actually without any flesh whatsoever. Of course, that wasn't super viable then . I loved the idea of ancient barrow kings, and slowly came up with the idea of a Skeleton army based on King Lear. Along comes AoS, which made most of my armies no longer legal they way they were set up but gave me rules for Deathrattle. Then came the latest WoW expansion with a zone based on nature/death witchcraft and bone/wood constructs. I fell in love and had my aesthetic. 

So today, I see the email showing the latest releases and saw a ton of possibilities to meet my goal. I don't like everything, but there is plenty of chances to mix in some Sylvaneth and Free City bits to get there. Of course, I was in the middle of painting my Cornwall skeleton unit (brush literally in hand) when the notification popped up. I should have known this would happen. Sigh

• Like 2

Yeah these are a development of at least some of the tomb kings concepts but the necrosphinx and sepulchral stalkers would stand out a mile on the basis of their smooth metal and clean bone, their literal material, as much as their material culture and aesthetic. I used the comparison before of scourge privateers and idoneth but if anything the visual gulf between the spiritual ancestor and the AoS implementation is larger here.

They definitely pull from that End Times deathlords aesthetic: moulded bone distorting the human frame and with some insectile elements, segmented curved armour, large gems, stitched skin for fabric, fanlike crests, curved razor-like weapons. Even the cavalry steeds are like miniature lesser versions of Arkhan/Nefereta/Mannfred’s steeds. The crows/ravens seem to be a consistent feature here, seems at least  in part to be a military messaging thing.

The name is a trio though. Ossiarch is good, Bonereapers is dreadful. Ossiarch Legions or something would have been better, a simple “The Bone Tithe” would have been good too.

Edited by sandlemad

Just now, Dead Scribe said:

I hope the rules are as bad as the sculpts so that I am not tempted to field them on power alone.

This is a very honest response. I always laugh when some ugly models get OP rules in an update and you suddenly see legions of players including them talking about how they always liked the sculpts/lore. Sure you did...

• Like 1

I think the models have potential. They have things I don't like about them but things I really like about them. The foot soldiers I'm the most hesitant on but I think I can fix them in a way I like. The Cavalry I'm sold on. I'm really loving the different Undead horses we are getting in general. The Mini-Ghasts I really like and want to play with (but I'm doing a headswap & making them lose a set of arms) 

Overall I'm cautiously excited. 

They look pretty combat capable and large, I guess I’d better go ahead and put these Longstrikes together so my “heavy infantry looking” Stormcast can put up a fight lol. I’m excited about them my girlfriend is all about fielding an army for each undead so I’m sure come October I’ll be fighting these guys. 

It's a pass from me. It's not just that I would've prefered actual resurrected skeletons, I also don't particularly like the designs except for the Mortarch. Especially the grinning faces of the Mortek Guard are off putting.

I guess Nighthaunts will be my death army after all.

3 hours ago, Kronos said:

@kenshin620 fantasy Necrons indeed, which makes a change, so truly the replacment of Tomb Kings.

As a Tomb Kings player I can assure you ... no those are definitely not even close to be a replacement. Very different feel and design to them.

Edited by Panzer