AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

In the Realm Gate Wars novel, my recollection is that the Ironjawz were using ships to get across some funky sand ocean or something.

Also remember that some ride around on sky ships in the Battletome . One of my favorite things about these early narratives was that GW left the door open to Ironjawz and Destruction in general to adopting some tech.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:48 PM, tom_gore said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Greenskinz and Gitmob are gone for good. Sadly, since I have about 100 painted orcs in my cabinets. Perhaps it's finally time to sell them to the 9th Age / KoW players (which I will most likely never be).

Considering that the Greenskinz have a start collecting box, they may not be going the way of the Gitmob Grotz (who never had any AoS kits at all)...  could be wrong though.  😏

I was looking to expand and get a new army recently, so I was browsing the webstore and looking at the different factions to see how they work, and I was shocked by the lack of variety available to the Ironjawz. The Bonesplitterz aren't my thing but I'd happily consider collecting an IJ army if it wasn't for their restricted roster.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but they seem to have no basic range unit and just two melee units. This doesn't feel like an army you can realistically expect people to call finished to me. I know 8th ed was bloated as hell, but I do miss the times when you could flick through the O&G book and see literally pages of options for building your army.

So I expect they'll either keep the Greenskinz around or flesh out both armies with a set of new units. I hope so, anyway 😣😣.

Edited by King Belegar

On 7/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, novakai said:

it apparently two battletome combined with the option of having one big mixed one.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, Malakithe said:

What happend to all the other Orruks? Does this mean nothing but Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz exist now?

The usual way they went, looks like time to stop playing GW games again for another 5 years.

41 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

So I expect they'll either keep the Greenskinz around

I'm sorry to say they're already gone so unless they bring them back that's it I'm afraid. That said there's always room to expand Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz.

I brought up playing my Greenskinz as Bonesplitterz a while back and some people thought it was bad form to use one model as another just because it had better rules. We're in a weird spot right now as Greenskinz still have points and warscrolls. Maybe when the book comes out they'll move them to Legends? It seems like that would do away with the objections some people had, and in some ways would be more merciful then having the Greenskinz continue to limp on with no support, but I also understand why  it would make some Greenkinz players sad that their army no longer exists in the rules.

Some people thought that it wasn't good to run Greenskinz as Bonesplitterz because they looked too heavily armored, which I understand. Some of those same people thought they were better suited to be run as Ironjawz, which I thought was weird because to me they look too small and under-armored. They're kind of in a weird place in the middle, but it wouldn't bother me to see people running them either way.

I think it's interesting how people have differing opinions on what it appropriate. I'm guessing most people will be cool with whatever as long as it looks good.

• Like 2

I also think some of those objections will evaporate once Greenskinz are fully removed from the game.  At that point you're not "upgrading" a model with worse rules to something you would prefer it to be - when it doesn't have rules at all, people don't seem to mind in my experience (rightly or wrongly).  They become "classic models" rather than bad units...kinda like you're a rich guy driving a banged up old car, but it's cool because you're rich. 

Personally, I use Grom the Paunch as a Loonboss, and people love seeing him.  Never had a single complaint.

You can also blur the lines by doing things like putting unhelmeted heads on the Ardboyz (they look better that way anyway imo) and giving the Greenskinz a bit of armoured bling (Ardboyz shields etc).  Maybe even stand them on some cork if you want to give them a little bump in size, but honestly the size differential is minor.

Obviously give them a coherent paint scheme (red and black in my case) and basing.  At that point you can easily sprinkle some Greenskinz in amongst your Ardboyz and they fit in just fine.  

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Foe-Hammer said:

I retract my previous statement, LOL!  My FLGS still stocks a healthy supply of that box, so I thought it was still in print.  

Yes you can actually get plenty of SC Greenskinz from 3rd party resellers.

And unlike high demand boxes like Carrion Empire, you can get them at MSRP+discount despite their OOP status! Im thinking of getting a bunch in fact.

11 hours ago, King Belegar said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but they seem to have no basic range unit and just two melee units. This doesn't feel like an army you can realistically expect people to call finished to me.

Ardboyz, Brutes, Goregruntas, Warchanter, Weirdnob, Megaboss, Megaboss on Maw-Krusha are the available kits to Ironjawz.

You are right about the range unit, but it's not a huge issue to shooting being rather niche in Age of Sigmar.

Now with Orruk Warclans you've got a new way to play Ironjawz, as in da "Great Waaagh!", in a "Great Waaagh" army you have access to the whole Savage Orruks range, so you add in  Savage Big Boss, Wardokk, Maniak Weirdnob, Boarboy Maniaks, Boarboys, Morboys, Arrowboys, Wurrgog Prophet and Savage Orruks. Now you've got 17 warscrolls to choose from, instead of 7.

In addition, the forces are rather complimentory to each other, with ironjawz having no shooting, weak magic but tough, hitting hard and elite, bonesplitterz have great magic, shooting, and are more of a horde.

But you can still field a very effective pure Ironjawz list with "just" 7 warscrolls in "Orruk Warclans", the recent GHB made Ironjawz quite good again and the new tome should only make them even better, as our warscrolls are ancient.

1 hour ago, DerZauberer said:

Ardboyz, Brutes, Goregruntas, Warchanter, Weirdnob, Megaboss, Megaboss on Maw-Krusha are the available kits to Ironjawz.

You are right about the range unit, but it's not a huge issue to shooting being rather niche in Age of Sigmar.

Now with Orruk Warclans you've got a new way to play Ironjawz, as in da "Great Waaagh!", in a "Great Waaagh" army you have access to the whole Savage Orruks range, so you add in  Savage Big Boss, Wardokk, Maniak Weirdnob, Boarboy Maniaks, Boarboys, Morboys, Arrowboys, Wurrgog Prophet and Savage Orruks. Now you've got 17 warscrolls to choose from, instead of 7.

In addition, the forces are rather complimentory to each other, with ironjawz having no shooting, weak magic but tough, hitting hard and elite, bonesplitterz have great magic, shooting, and are more of a horde.

But you can still field a very effective pure Ironjawz list with "just" 7 warscrolls in "Orruk Warclans", the recent GHB made Ironjawz quite good again and the new tome should only make them even better, as our warscrolls are ancient.

Thanks for the useful info 😃.

When I said melee units, I meant generic troops, not general/heroes, I should have been clearer.

I realise I'm very old-fashioned in this respect, but the thing I really enjoy about Warhammer is building an army of 'normal' miniatures. Heroes and monsters don't really interest me. I also enjoy having a wide range of units to choose from and take to the field, because then it feels more like you're fielding an army that's unique to you. Fielding a competitive army is less important to me.

I'm not whining, don't get me wrong, I'm just outlining where I was coming from 😊.

I suppose I could just use the savage orruk warscrolls and use proxy minis, because to me the savage orruk look just isn't the one.

But I do think the orruks have lost some of their tactical interest since the squatting of the greenskinz 😪.

49 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

When I said melee units, I meant generic troops, not general/heroes, I should have been clearer

Then it's 3 melee units/kits. Ardboy, brutes and ggs.

It depends if they decide to split the brute and gg kits into two separate warscrolls, something which is easily possible and would allow for a diversity of roles.

51 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

But I do think the orruks have lost some of their tactical interest since the squatting of the greenskinz 😪.

Realistically it was just a grand alliance destruction army which still has the same breadth of options it always did.

52 minutes ago, King Belegar said:

I suppose I could just use the savage orruk warscrolls and use proxy minis, because to me the savage orruk look just isn't the one.

Conversions are the way to go. You could easily make "wild ironjawz" that have gone mad and reverted to a more bestial nature. Half naked with only random bits of armour still attached. Big stabba as a single brute with a massive pike twice the size as it is.

Lots of options if you want to use the warscrolls but don't like the aesthetics.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malakree said:

You could easily make "wild ironjawz" that have gone mad and reverted to a more bestial nature. Half naked with only random bits of armour still attached.

Would love to see someone convert a brute to a wild brute, wearing nothing but a loincloth!

25 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Do we think Warclans will change the way both armies play? Or that they’ll play the same but just with each other? Do we think the Waaagh mechanic will change?

I for one hope some good comes of Gordrakk

I’m guessing that the whaaag will be changed for all of our characters, although i doubt it will be the only thing changing.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

Conversions are the way to go. You could easily make "wild ironjawz" that have gone mad and reverted to a more bestial nature. Half naked with only random bits of armour still attached. Big stabba as a single brute with a massive pike twice the size as it is.

Thats just it. I think for those of us that are rocking Greenskinz, using savage parts like the stone spears, bows and axes will help with the aesthetics piece, add in some warpaint on the face and some bone totems here and there and you now have a Bonesplitterz looking bunch of Greenskinz that are on their way to savagery. Alternatively, you could add some of the armoured faces, bigger weapons and shields from the Ard Boyz kits to send them that way. 

To plug a little, I have been playing with this over at my plog and it has gone ok so far. These are the boar boyz I converted to be a bit more savage

boarboyz2.jpg.c8bbe2a56691abfe9b6f1f5d0557a4f4.jpg

6 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Do we think Warclans will change the way both armies play? Or that they’ll play the same but just with each other? Do we think the Waaagh mechanic will change?

I for one hope some good comes of Gordrakk

Like I posted earlier, I speculate that Waaagh will be removed as a command ability and instead made part of the allegiance ability where we gather waaagh energy and then unleash it as a board wide buff, possibly once per game only.

• Like 2