AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the planning stages of a new army, and have a question about playability/ "is it worth it": at what breakdown of Bonesplittaz to Ironjawz does it not become worth it to do Big Waaagh! and just stick to one of them? I mostly like the Ironjawz models, but the rules of the Big Waaaagh seem pretty fun to me. Is it worth it to just do an Ironjawz-only Big Waaagh? Or are their abilities better?

4 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

Hey everyone,

So I'm in the planning stages of a new army, and have a question about playability/ "is it worth it": at what breakdown of Bonesplittaz to Ironjawz does it not become worth it to do Big Waaagh! and just stick to one of them? I mostly like the Ironjawz models, but the rules of the Big Waaaagh seem pretty fun to me. Is it worth it to just do an Ironjawz-only Big Waaagh? Or are their abilities better?

Yes I'd say it's still worth playing pure IJ under Big Waaagh.  Their own allegiance is good too, but you could totally take a pure IJ army and enjoy the benefits of that.

Truth is, both IJ (particularly Ironsunz) and BW are fun to play.  So is Bonesplitterz.  If you're drawn to IJ, you can buy the models and use them in either or both allegiances and they'll operate perfectly well.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 7:33 AM, Skarband said:

Hi guys before i Play w40k i have big orks army but my community moved to AoS so i do it too i pick orruk warclans are models are great but i hate maw crusha tell me this army can by strong with mega Boss on foot ? Spam górę grunda and ardboyz ? Brutes ? Without maw crusha?

What dont you like about it? 

Its a heavy hitter from our limited tool box so If you can find a way to use something else as a counts as, I would. 

On 9/19/2020 at 8:33 AM, Skarband said:

Hi guys before i Play w40k i have big orks army but my community moved to AoS so i do it too i pick orruk warclans are models are great but i hate maw crusha tell me this army can by strong with mega Boss on foot ? Spam górę grunda and ardboyz ? Brutes ? Without maw crusha?

You absolutely do not need a maw krusha to take a good list.  In fact once generic artifacts were jettisoned in July I think it took a decent sized hit in usability to begin with.  The purely offensive builds for it are still good, but a bit less universal, especially with the shooting heavy meta we are in now.  I would say a foot megaboss is better at this point anyways.  For your subfaction the 2 best options if you are going ironjawz heavy is either Ironsunz or playing Big Waagh.   I don't have as much experience with ironjawz faction as with big waagh, but rule of thumb is you probably want a 6 block of gore gruntas, 2-3 war chanters, a caster, your megaboss, and then after that you want to spam ardboyz and brutes.  Ardboyz used to be unquestionably better then Brutes, but over the summer Ardboyz got 10pts more expensive and Brutes got 10pts cheaper.  With covid and much fewer big tourneys being played since the last pt update , and the fact that  I no longer play with ironjawz battleline aside from gore gruntas (I like bonesplitters battleline personally) I am not sure which is more efficient at this point.  But I would guess that they are close enough in utility that I'd just choose whichever you like more and go for it and just spam away on that unit for the rest of your points (you probably want a battalion as well depending on what combination of units, when I was playing ironjawz last year the 2 go tos were ironfist or ardfist).

Personally I am a big fan of Big Waagh and what Bonesplitters have to offer in that combined list.  But if you love Ironjawz there are definitely a couple of competitive ways to play them and you def don't need a krusha to do it.  And most importantly unless you play tournament style competitive games, I think Orruk Warclans is a more then strong enough book (with basically no flat out bad units) that you probably can't go wrong however you want to play them and can ignore all of my advise above and just have fun :).

Edited by tripchimeras
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tripchimeras said:

You absolutely do not need a maw krusha to take a good list.  In fact once generic artifacts were jettisoned in July I think it took a decent sized hit in usability to begin with.  The purely offensive builds for it are still good, but a bit less universal, especially with the shooting heavy meta we are in now.  I would say a foot megaboss is better at this point anyways.  For your subfaction the 2 best options if you are going ironjawz heavy is either Ironsunz or playing Big Waagh.   I don't have as much experience with ironjawz faction as with big waagh, but rule of thumb is you probably want a 6 block of gore gruntas, 2-3 war chanters, a caster, your megaboss, and then after that you want to spam ardboyz and brutes.  Ardboyz used to be unquestionably better then Brutes, but over the summer Ardboyz got 10pts more expensive and Brutes got 10pts cheaper.  With covid and much fewer big tourneys being played since the last pt update , and the fact that  I no longer play with ironjawz battleline aside from gore gruntas (I like bonesplitters battleline personally) I am not sure which is more efficient at this point.  But I would guess that they are close enough in utility that I'd just choose whichever you like more and go for it and just spam away on that unit for the rest of your points (you probably want a battalion as well depending on what combination of units, when I was playing ironjawz last year the 2 go tos were ironfist or ardfist).

Personally I am a big fan of Big Waagh and what Bonesplitters have to offer in that combined list.  But if you love Ironjawz there are definitely a couple of competitive ways to play them and you def don't need a krusha to do it.  And most importantly unless you play tournament style competitive games, I think Orruk Warclans is a more then strong enough book (with basically no flat out bad units) that you probably can't go wrong however you want to play them and can ignore all of my advise above and just have fun :).

With all due respect, not sure I entirely agree with this. Aside from mortal wounds, you can make the maw-krusha an ever-growing, nigh-unkillable beast.

I still prefer ardboyz over brutes, but brutes are now good enough to be useable. 1-2 weirdnobs, 2 chanters, and 6-9 goregruntas (one unit) will do wonders.

You definitely want Ironfist, it works wonders.

In terms of subfaction, I generally go tribeless, as crazy as it sounds. Ironsunz is the best subfaction, and it's not very good. Go tribeless and you get to choose a command trait - take that ironclad for a 2+ save Krusha or Brutal cunning combined with Ironfist for 2 free Mighty Destroyers per turn.

As much as I love the Krusha, I know you don't XD. The foot boss will still work, you'll just lose some hitting power and a target for the enemy's shooting. The points youll get allow you to fit in 9 gruntas, which is very difficult to do with a Krusha.

I have a question. I got a mawkrusha. I've magnetized the both weapons. The intention is so that I can swap it to have a regular megaboss with the both weapons option or  gordrak.  However the main body is quite difficult to magnetize so my dilemma.  How permissive use to be the people for wysiwyg in regards? How much have you found that is accepted to proxy the gordrakk body and presented with the megaboss weapon option? and vice-versa?

2 hours ago, OrcaLullaby said:

I have a question. I got a mawkrusha. I've magnetized the both weapons. The intention is so that I can swap it to have a regular megaboss with the both weapons option or  gordrak.  However the main body is quite difficult to magnetize so my dilemma.  How permissive use to be the people for wysiwyg in regards? How much have you found that is accepted to proxy the gordrakk body and presented with the megaboss weapon option? and vice-versa?

I believe it comes down to simply weapon loadout. If you use all the Gordrakk bits and then use the Megaboss weapon options, no one should have a problem as wysiwyg matches all of the stats on the warscroll.

• Like 1

Heya, moving from pure Bonesplitterz to Big Waaagh lately, and wondering about how the army plays and the Ironjawz portions should be used. 

I own one of each Bonesplitterz Leader, 20 arrowboyz, 20 savage orruks, 10 moreboyz, 10 boarboys (spears and shield), a rogue idol, and now some Brutes. Probably looking to add a Start Collecting Ironjawz to that, and don’t have shelf space for a mawkrusha so going to avoid that. 

Previously I’d been running a Kunning Rukk to spam double-shoot each turn while I screened them with savage orruks, flung a flying 2xMove buffed up (2+ Save with rerolling 1s) Rogue Idol into the enemy lines first turn, and sent boar boys to grab a distant objective with some big stabbas aiming to lay down some hurt where needed. 

So I was thinking of dropping the rogue idol for the Start Collecting box, and dropping the Wurrgog Prophet also, since I wasn’t gonna do the first turn buffs on the idol anymore - just focus on the Bonesplitters side buffing the Rukk’s shooting. 

What’s the gameplan for Waaagh points? I am pretty reliably hitting 20 on turn 2, but worry a little about losing models before that (when they haven’t had a chance to get stuck in with the +1 to hit and wound, to make their value back). Is it ill-advised to hang back a bit first turn with the melee stuff? 

19 hours ago, MKsmash said:

With all due respect, not sure I entirely agree with this. Aside from mortal wounds, you can make the maw-krusha an ever-growing, nigh-unkillable beast.

Not sure what your normal opponents or local meta are as that surely is going to have a huge effect on the Maw Krusha's effectiveness, but I have not found them to be nigh-unkillable at all.  "aside from mortal wounds" is a pretty big BUT in my experience, considering they have become more and more common and pervasive with each new book released.  And unless you forego a free mighty destroyer for +1 armour a 3+ on its own without ethereal is just not as survivable as it feels like it is.  Perhaps this is a Big Waagh vs Ironjawz difference in percieved worth, as with Big Waagh unless you have an Ironfist you pretty much HAVE to go for brutish cunning precluding the better save.  Maw Krusha's are not bad by a long stretch and I stated they are still good in my post.  But Maw Krusha's without ethereal amulet are pretty much feast or famine propositions at this point.  They are never useless, but a good deal of the time those 450 pts are better spent elsewhere and in a take all comer environment where the meta has increasingly skewed shooting heavy, you will find yourself spending more and more of your time simply trying to screen and protect them, or having to go all in balls to the walls very early.  Surely in many matchups they are still great, and if you aren't min maxing you won't regret them, but they are 100% not as good now as they were 6-8 months ago in my mind or perhaps "good" is the wrong word.  They are less versatile.  Meanwhile I think a foot megaboss is sneaky good.  They often get ignored, but you pop a +1 damage on them and give them that 3d6 charge all of a sudden you can do some real damage in a situation your opponent was not expecting at all.  They are making their points back as a support piece alone, but also can function as a turning point unit in the right circumstances.  I just think they present less risk and are better in a situation where you don't know who your opponent will be (this was not my opinion 6 months ago, when I was using a maw krusha in my primary list).

On a separate note interested as to why no allegiance over Big Waagh?  Since you can still get 2 free mighty destroyers in a Big Waagh list I'd think the Waagh table bonuses more then compensates for the general Ironjawz allegiances if you aren't taking a subfaction?  Curious what you have found to be the clincher for going unaffiliated.

8 hours ago, Pombar said:

So I was thinking of dropping the rogue idol for the Start Collecting box, and dropping the Wurrgog Prophet also, since I wasn’t gonna do the first turn buffs on the idol anymore - just focus on the Bonesplitters side buffing the Rukk’s shooting. 

What’s the gameplan for Waaagh points? I am pretty reliably hitting 20 on turn 2, but worry a little about losing models before that (when they haven’t had a chance to get stuck in with the +1 to hit and wound, to make their value back). Is it ill-advised to hang back a bit first turn with the melee stuff? 

Why do you want to move away from the Rogue Idol?  Have you found it lacking or are you just looking to try something new?  Personally I think generally the best Big Waagh armies tend to be primarily (about 2/3) one faction with the other filling out a role the primary lacks.  I think if you go too far down 50/50 you often end up with a jack of all trades master of none situation.  If your base is bonesplitters (mine is usually as  well) I'd go for adding Gore Gruntas, a megaboss, and a warchanter for starters.  They give you some much needed multi-wound rending punch and if you make the megaboss your general and give him brutish cunning they give you some really great tactical options.  Now doing this ofcourse is putting a lot of points and resources into support characters that are really only good for helping 1 unit (though don't sleep on the megaboss with +1 damage from warchanter either, he's no slouch).  I think this is the trap with big waagh lists, once you start adding support characters of one type it encourages more units of the same type to buff and there are just not enough points to go around between fully buffing multiple bonesplitter AND ironjawz units at the same time.  This I think is where Rogue Idol comes in and creates a bridge between the two armies.   So definitely encourage you to play around with more ironjawz in your list (especially gore gruntas), but do be mindful that Rogue Idol actually gets better when you have support characters of both types.   

As for the Waagh point gameplan I think they certainly encourage a more defensive approach.  Rarely do I find a game where my starting loadout doesn't involve me stringing congo lines of savage orruks zig zagging across the length of my lines to allow me the time to get to t2.  I don't think its ill advised at all to hang back first turn, especially if your opponent doesn't leave himself wide open.  That being said I think its important to deploy flexibly and if your opponent leaves you an opening t1, do not be afraid to go in sans waagh points if you don't need them.  They are an amazing bonus, but they are just that, a bonus.  If my opponent doesn't set up his screens properly in deployment I will very often go full alpha and fly in my rogue idol and mighty destroyer my gore gruntas in for long bomb charges opponent wasn't expecting out of the gate.  The great and wonderful thing about this strategy is that it is low risk.  The second I don't get off my fly spell on the rogue idol, or I realize I screwed up my bubbles and don't have maxed out buffs on my gore gruntas or whatever it is super easy to just revert to turtle mode as I will always have my savage orruk screans out and ready to turtle down and build up my waagh points for next turn.

Sorry for insanely long post, feeling talkative today, been a while since I've posted much haha.  TLDR is add ironjawz slowly and carefully, and don't be so quick to rule out adding a couple ironjawz pieces but keeping Rogue Idol.  There is still enough space to keep your bonesplitters core in place, you might just have to lose a battalion.  Your army as is sounds fun though regardless.

Edited by tripchimeras
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tripchimeras said:

Not sure what your normal opponents or local meta are as that surely is going to have a huge effect on the Maw Krusha's effectiveness, but I have not found them to be nigh-unkillable at all.  "aside from mortal wounds" is a pretty big BUT in my experience, considering they have become more and more common and pervasive with each new book released.  And unless you forego a free mighty destroyer for +1 armour a 3+ on its own without ethereal is just not as survivable as it feels like it is. 

I'm currently building my own Maw-krusha. I never tried before and I'm considering options.

There is an artifact from gyran, jade diadem or something like this I believe, that heals a wound with a 6+. Ironclad add the +1 to the saving throws.

This means that against attacks of rend '-' damage 1 the mawkrusha will be healing with 5+ and getting wounds in a 1, so statically if you get shoot by this kind of weapons you will get healed. Against rend '-'  damage 2 it will statically receive 0 damage/ In the scenario of rend 1 and  damage 1 it will statically behave as a 2+ save therefore it will statically ignore rend -1. I think that his cover most of the shooting profiles and basic battelines attacks.

Is this something legit and, given you experience, worth taking over mighty destroyers + the etheral save artifact?

59 minutes ago, OrcaLullaby said:

I'm currently building my own Maw-krusha. I never tried before and I'm considering options.

There is an artifact from gyran, jade diadem or something like this I believe, that heals a wound with a 6+. Ironclad add the +1 to the saving throws.

This means that against attacks of rend '-' damage 1 the mawkrusha will be healing with 5+ and getting wounds in a 1, so statically if you get shoot by this kind of weapons you will get healed. Against rend '-'  damage 2 it will statically receive 0 damage/ In the scenario of rend 1 and  damage 1 it will statically behave as a 2+ save therefore it will statically ignore rend -1. I think that his cover most of the shooting profiles and basic battelines attacks.

Is this something legit and, given you experience, worth taking over mighty destroyers + the etheral save artifact?

Just to clarify, still think Maw-krusha is good, just think its not as versatile as it once was.  I'm sure taking that will be totally fine in most games.  Experiment.  Ethereal save isn't available anymore, so its just about whether the alternatives get it done for you, not whether they are better then before.  I think the one extra heal only in your turn isn't likely to make or break you though.  If you are playing an ironjawz army I think my personal choice would be to go +1 save, metalrippa klaw and either weird un or mean un for mount trait.  Then if you find you are having trouble with survivability, maybe go with the reduced rend realm of metal artifact.  If Big Waagh I'd go brutish cunning instead of +1 save.

Edited by tripchimeras

2 hours ago, tripchimeras said:

Not sure what your normal opponents or local meta are as that surely is going to have a huge effect on the Maw Krusha's effectiveness, but I have not found them to be nigh-unkillable at all.  "aside from mortal wounds" is a pretty big BUT in my experience, considering they have become more and more common and pervasive with each new book released.  And unless you forego a free mighty destroyer for +1 armour a 3+ on its own without ethereal is just not as survivable as it feels like it is.  Perhaps this is a Big Waagh vs Ironjawz difference in percieved worth, as with Big Waagh unless you have an Ironfist you pretty much HAVE to go for brutish cunning precluding the better save.  Maw Krusha's are not bad by a long stretch and I stated they are still good in my post.  But Maw Krusha's without ethereal amulet are pretty much feast or famine propositions at this point.  They are never useless, but a good deal of the time those 450 pts are better spent elsewhere and in a take all comer environment where the meta has increasingly skewed shooting heavy, you will find yourself spending more and more of your time simply trying to screen and protect them, or having to go all in balls to the walls very early.  Surely in many matchups they are still great, and if you aren't min maxing you won't regret them, but they are 100% not as good now as they were 6-8 months ago in my mind or perhaps "good" is the wrong word.  They are less versatile.  Meanwhile I think a foot megaboss is sneaky good.  They often get ignored, but you pop a +1 damage on them and give them that 3d6 charge all of a sudden you can do some real damage in a situation your opponent was not expecting at all.  They are making their points back as a support piece alone, but also can function as a turning point unit in the right circumstances.  I just think they present less risk and are better in a situation where you don't know who your opponent will be (this was not my opinion 6 months ago, when I was using a maw krusha in my primary list).

Fair, mortals are becoming more and more common, meaning he is less killable for sure. With weirdun, ironclad, and daubing of mork, he has 2+ save, 6+ wound mortal wound save, and 4+ ignore enemy spell save, which helps with helps with blocking mortals.

And fwiw, when ethereal was an option, you still couldn't take it with ironclad. Ironclad adds to save, and ethereal Amulet ignored all modifiers, not just negative ones.

I find that brutish cunning in straight IJ isn't necessary, given that I always have mighty destroyers available. The big thing with the Krusha when you play is its distracting factor. You don't need it to survive all game, and I expect it to do die everytime. As long as it provides a massive target that takes a while to chew through while doing enough damage, it's doing its job. I like to play mind games by overhyping it to make sure it gets targeted and they ignore the rest.

Another huge difference between Waaagh and IJ is that IJ is a true alpha strike army. I will pretty much NEVER screen a Krusha, it will charge right in or get teleported.

I don't like the boss mainly because of speed. He's one of the slowest units in IJ (Krusha much faster, goregruntas fast, ardboyz big charge bonus). I know he can be a big combat beast, but I can't get him in. I also rarely use the +1 to hit CA, and save my points for rerolling charges and Mighty destroyers.

He may be less good, but I just wouldn't say 100% worse ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MKsmash said:

Fair, mortals are becoming more and more common, meaning he is less killable for sure. With weirdun, ironclad, and daubing of mork, he has 2+ save, 6+ wound mortal wound save, and 4+ ignore enemy spell save, which helps with helps with blocking mortals.

And fwiw, when ethereal was an option, you still couldn't take it with ironclad. Ironclad adds to save, and ethereal Amulet ignored all modifiers, not just negative ones.

I find that brutish cunning in straight IJ isn't necessary, given that I always have mighty destroyers available. The big thing with the Krusha when you play is its distracting factor. You don't need it to survive all game, and I expect it to do die everytime. As long as it provides a massive target that takes a while to chew through while doing enough damage, it's doing its job. I like to play mind games by overhyping it to make sure it gets targeted and they ignore the rest.

Another huge difference between Waaagh and IJ is that IJ is a true alpha strike army. I will pretty much NEVER screen a Krusha, it will charge right in or get teleported.

I don't like the boss mainly because of speed. He's one of the slowest units in IJ (Krusha much faster, goregruntas fast, ardboyz big charge bonus). I know he can be a big combat beast, but I can't get him in. I also rarely use the +1 to hit CA, and save my points for rerolling charges and Mighty destroyers.

He may be less good, but I just wouldn't say 100% worse ;)

Definitely not 100% worse.  He's def still viable.  Just think the math on him vs foot version has shifted a bit.  Also that all makes total sense, and I definitely think He got hit much harder in Big Waagh because sacrificing brutish cunning for +1 armor hurts so much more then it does for IJ.  You never needed to make the choice before, for the exact reason you couldn't combine ethereal with 2+ armor, so it was easy.   

He is definitely slow, but I like having a mid-late game trick up my sleeve my opponent is likely to ignore, and depending on the list 460pts can just take up too much realestate.  That being said, I do miss the look on people's faces T1 when I deploy conservatively, they give me top of t1 thinking I am going to have to waste it and all of a sudden a maw krusha and rogue idol are charging in their face.  No matter how many times I warn people in advance, they usually underestimate just how far the threat range really is.  Overall Maw Krusha definitely more fun, think on the margins foot megaboss probably slightly better overall, but you may be right that for IJ that small efficiency gap is reversed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tripchimeras said:

Why do you want to move away from the Rogue Idol?  Have you found it lacking or are you just looking to try something new?  Personally I think generally the best Big Waagh armies tend to be primarily (about 2/3) one faction with the other filling out a role the primary lacks.  I think if you go too far down 50/50 you often end up with a jack of all trades master of none situation.  If your base is bonesplitters (mine is usually as  well) I'd go for adding Gore Gruntas, a megaboss, and a warchanter for starters.  They give you some much needed multi-wound rending punch and if you make the megaboss your general and give him brutish cunning they give you some really great tactical options.  Now doing this ofcourse is putting a lot of points and resources into support characters that are really only good for helping 1 unit (though don't sleep on the megaboss with +1 damage from warchanter either, he's no slouch).  I think this is the trap with big waagh lists, once you start adding support characters of one type it encourages more units of the same type to buff and there are just not enough points to go around between fully buffing multiple bonesplitter AND ironjawz units at the same time.  This I think is where Rogue Idol comes in and creates a bridge between the two armies.   So definitely encourage you to play around with more ironjawz in your list (especially gore gruntas), but do be mindful that Rogue Idol actually gets better when you have support characters of both types.   

As for the Waagh point gameplan I think they certainly encourage a more defensive approach.  Rarely do I find a game where my starting loadout doesn't involve me stringing congo lines of savage orruks zig zagging across the length of my lines to allow me the time to get to t2.  I don't think its ill advised at all to hang back first turn, especially if your opponent doesn't leave himself wide open.  That being said I think its important to deploy flexibly and if your opponent leaves you an opening t1, do not be afraid to go in sans waagh points if you don't need them.  They are an amazing bonus, but they are just that, a bonus.  If my opponent doesn't set up his screens properly in deployment I will very often go full alpha and fly in my rogue idol and mighty destroyer my gore gruntas in for long bomb charges opponent wasn't expecting out of the gate.  The great and wonderful thing about this strategy is that it is low risk.  The second I don't get off my fly spell on the rogue idol, or I realize I screwed up my bubbles and don't have maxed out buffs on my gore gruntas or whatever it is super easy to just revert to turtle mode as I will always have my savage orruk screans out and ready to turtle down and build up my waagh points for next turn.

Sorry for insanely long post, feeling talkative today, been a while since I've posted much haha.  TLDR is add ironjawz slowly and carefully, and don't be so quick to rule out adding a couple ironjawz pieces but keeping Rogue Idol.  There is still enough space to keep your bonesplitters core in place, you might just have to lose a battalion.  Your army as is sounds fun though regardless.

Thanks so much for the long and considered reply! 

Yeah, for me I find the Rogue Idol just doesn’t perform as well as I’d like for the points. Maybe that would change after adding a Warchanter and such to slap IJ buffs on him too - that was my original thinking behind him!

But in my games he tends to do next to no damage (or literally no damage, as in my last game against Khorne - my fault for guessing target priority wrong, I suppose), and while he stops a few enemy units moving forward for a turn while they take him out, he does go down (even with his 2+ rerollable save and 5+ wound shrug) fast and then leaves a 420 hole in my list. Maybe I’m pointing him at the wrong things, though.

As for motivation behind adding more IJ, it’s a few things. Partly just looking to expand my collection and add options, since I enjoy list building but only really have one way to run my collection right now. The goal would be to move towards a collection that could also support a “mostly IJs” Big Waaagh later on, and this more 50-50 list is just a stepping stone to get there, that also will help be get more familiar with IJ units and how they work. 

Good to know I’m not barking up the wrong tree playing a bit more defensively while charging up the Waaagh points, then! Typically my gameplan has been to throw the Idol at something juicy or use it to tie up some of the more dangerous threats turn 1, while the rest of the list moves closer but still a safe distance from the enemy if possible (and grabbing objectives if they can safely do so). Then rush forward once I hit 20 Waaagh points turn 2. 

@Pombar I would rarely throw the Rogue Idol forward turn 1 personally.  You're giving away the +1 to cast, and you're putting him outside of range of the Warchanter and Wardokk healing.  He's not all that efficient at just pounding away at chaff screens.

There's other stuff that is much better for throwing under the bus.  All kinds of pigs can blow up chaff screens more reliably and at a lower cost.  Also Arrow Boys can plant their feet in the middle of the table and shoot some stuff up.  Pebbles is adding value to that through buffing the magic that makes them effective, and maybe even getting the Wurggog Prophet to hit a jacked up 10+ cast on his warscroll spell.

I think you need to be patient for at least a turn or two with him in most games, and then strike at something elite or a Hero when it will be decisive, and he won't just get swamped in volume of attacks.  There are other tools in the army that can scratch that turn 1 aggro itch more effectively.

• Like 1

Just adding in my unsolicited 2 cents of theory (I just started Ironjawz) on the Maw-Krusha.  I think he still has a lot of value, especially in Ironsunz backed up by an Ironfist.  -1 to hit with  shooting first turn, the Ironsunz artifact is functionally similar to +1 armor from the command trait, and while the flat one command point is a little lackluster, with a battalion and maybe an extra command point (plus green visions), it can let you catapult most of your army ahead turn one.

That being said, I can definitely see the dangerous temptation to drop a Maw-Krusha on the enemy’s head turn one.  With Fast ‘Un and Mighty Destroyers it can cover a shocking amount of distance, but then it’s way out ahead of your army, and while the Maw-Krusha has plenty of punch, it’s still going to bounce right off something like an Ironclad with Aether-Gold to burn.

Still, I think he has value in eating support heroes, or possibly flying behind the enemy lines as the rest of your army comes straight at the front.

I’m coming from Mawtribes (mostly Beastclaw, still have to finish building my Gutbusters), so it’s very interesting to see a piece that superficially seems very similar to a FLoSH, but is actually much more of a finesse piece.  As much as I want to joke around and say that Ironjawz shooting involves throwing a ball of angry green scales at the enemy, Ironjawz can’t afford to sacrifice a Megaboss.  In BCR, losing a Stonehorn hurts, but I’ve got 3 more.

On the other hand, in a shooting heavy meta, Ironjawz really feel like they need to get up there and start wrecking face ASAP.  The Megaboss on foot just seems so slow.  I know the army tends to be on the slower side, it’s just a huge adjustment coming from a faction where the basic Battleline moves 8” (if hungry), without having to be fed a steady diet of command points.

• Like 1

Hello green friends, i have a question for you. Does the spell "Breath of Gorkamorka" also double the run roll? e.g. I succesfully cast the spell on a unit of Savage big Stabbas, let's say i don't get a double so i just double the movement characteristic and make them fly, and roll a 5 to run them, do i double the run roll aswell and get a 20" inch moove (5"x 2 + 5" x 2) or just a 15" moove (5" x 2 + 5 run roll)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, ACBelMutie said:

Just a quick question. If I move an Ironjawz unit in my hero phase using 1 CP, I can run with that unit. So the question is, can that unit charge later? I know if you run in the movement phase, that unit can't charge, but does that rule apply at the hero phase?

Greetings

I would tend to think so, yes. The unit is considered to have run so it cannot charge in the next phase. Ive always played it as a normal move myself to guarantee the charge. Besides, MD is extremely strong with GGs and MawKrusha. Their movement is plenty where you don't really need to run anyway. I might be wrong though.

• Like 1

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Wardokk (80)
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Brute Fist (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 176

Thought I’d share a list I’ve been running for home games and get some feedback. Currently it’s between the brutefist or swapping the brutes out for 30 ardboyz and running an ardfist. Taking brutal beast spirits to get a unit of arrowboyz hitting 4/4 profile depending on where I’m targeting. It’s a guaranteed 13 waaagh points round one  when using ere we go. Shooting in the hero phase with batallion, attacking in the hero phase with MD on the footboss. 120 shots in shooting and buffed up front line when combat happens. So far it’s been pretty exciting to see what the arrowboyz can do.