AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Thanks for the kind words gents. 

The list is a really tricky one but the main issue I always find myself thinking about is how squishy the characters are. In a lot of games, with a bit of screening of the back line and smashing it up the board with the front unit,  this isn't too much of a problem. However against armies that can either teleport in and shoot (ala Hallowheart) or now against Seraphon with extreme/unlimited range, high casting spells that don't require LoS that I find difficult to stop the squishyness becomes much more of a problem.

This is why I opted for the Mirrored Cuirass on the Ardfist Warchanter who will often be further up the field supporting units whilst the weirdnob is at the back. He also gives that added mobility in the army from the Ardfist. Combo'd with Fixin' Beat you can keep him, and another character a live for an extra turn or two generally.

I often toy with the idea of dropping the 660 points of Ironfist (Pigs and 2x5 Ardboys)  in favour of a Brutish Cunning Krusha Megaboss for the added movement and 200 extra points of something. I'd still have the Mighty Destroyers and more movement from it but would need to give up the Luminary Rod (as I'm a stickler for Ethereal Amulet/Weird Un combo) and the Warchanter wouldn't get a mortal wound save. Not sure what I'd run with the other 200 points...maybe just the 2x5 Ardboys again in the Ardfist to keep the drops down?

Dropping the Ironfist does drop the command points though and that doesn't sit well with me when running Ardfist. Especially if running a Krusha with the 3+ ignore rend, I'm going to be popping all out defense at some point and will still want a CP for trying to bring a unit back all the time.

Edited by VonSmall

Honestly probably very little, if anything. Maybe a small discount on units like Brutes. Warclans didn't make a huge meta splash and take a lot of podiums but still have a decent amount of list diversity, so I'm not sure what there is for GW to laser-hone in on for points adjustments (besides Brutes).

Then again they could just sprinkle in some random points nerfs for memes sake, just because that's how GW rolls.

40 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Has a warscroll ever been adjusted via GHB?

The cynic in me thinks that brutes will be brought back in line with their old scroll now that they've sold off enough Ardboyz and start collecting sets. 😉😕

Plague monks come to mind but I wouldn't bet on warscroll changes until the next battletome update comes along unfortunately.

Edited by Verminlord

7 hours ago, VonSmall said:

Can see them bumping the cost of Ardboys to 100 but give them a horde discount whilst also reducing the cost of Brutes.

If they do increase it I'd rather it was to 95 not 100. The only reason they are so daft is because of the Big Waaagh/Warchanter buffs as I think we've discussed before. Assuming they bring the points of brutes down AND put the points of Ardboys up we'll just swap over either to them or GG's. I can see a shock and awe Gorefist potentially being a thing if we are really forced.

My personal hope is that Warchanters go up by 20. It hits the army in a far better place without disrupting the internal unit balance between Ardboys/GG's which is pretty solid atm. It also allows them to adjust Brutes knowing where Ardboys/GG's sit.

Honestly if all they do is increase Ardboys to 100 I can see the most effective move being a hard swap to bonesplitterz based armies instead. This list is a thing atm.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
Wardokk (80)
Wardokk (80)
Savage Big Boss (100)

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Chompas
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 269

13 hours ago, Verminlord said:

Plague monks come to mind but I wouldn't bet on warscroll changes until the next battletome update comes along unfortunately.

That was a case of rolling dice with Plague Monks being a pain, rather than a balancing act really.

I would predict a minor Warchanter/Ardboyz/Gore Gruntas increase, while Brutes/Weirdnob/Megaboss on foot get a minor decrease.

11 hours ago, Malakree said:

Honestly if all they do is increase Ardboys to 100 I can see the most effective move being a hard swap to bonesplitterz based armies instead. This list is a thing atm.

This, right? If you're playing comp you're probably already playing BW - and a good chunk of BW players seem to think the Savage Orruk to be at least comparable to the Ardboy in terms of utility as a battleline choice. You trade out Warchanter damage boosts and innate durability for access to Bonesplitterz spells and wardokk buffs. You lose some damage but gain some lasting power and utility.

Nerfing Ardboys wouldn't help Brutes, it would just make the Ironjawz side less desirable overall.

• Like 1

I can't remember the changes from the last handbook, but what is the likelihood that little to nothing changes? Other than ardboyz being generally preferable to brutes, I feel like the whole book is in a good place in terms of internal balance and in comparison to other books. It  isn't topping tournaments all the time but also rarely gets stomped.

Maybe footbosses and brutes could use some fixes, but there is otherwise little in the book that I would say completely outshines other options. Warchanters come to mind, but I wouldn't describe them as 'OP' as much as I would say that they are the core of the army. Nerfing them wouldn't stop people from taking them, it would just hurt the whole army because you would still take the same amount but have fewer points left over.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am complete novice in AOS, and I'd love to know about your experience as orruk players to help me with my orruk army!

Currently I have two SC, one box of ardboys, one box of svage orruks (I need another one I guess), one Wurrgog Porphet, one Weirdnob Shaman, one megaboss on foot, and a handmade Rogue Idol.

Here are examples of 2 lists that I try to make as big waaagh. Please keep in mind that I have not thought of artifacts, reigns and stuff like that (any advice is greatly appreciated).

I would love your feedback on those, based on the fact that I would love to keep the Rogue Idol to try combos on him. And also I have a few questions: Is it viable to play Big Waaagh with my comp, maximizing waaagh points (by now being mostly ironjawz)? Knowing that you can get 2 wardoks out of 2 savage boxes, what would you take out to put them since they seem so valuable for their low cost? Are there any other army lists based on these kits that you would recommend me to try?

Thank you very much in advance!

AOS LIST 1.pdf AOS LIST 2.pdf

Edited by Tsokuma
Typos

On 5/24/2020 at 1:48 AM, TALegion said:

Nerfing them wouldn't stop people from taking them, it would just hurt the whole army because you would still take the same amount but have fewer points left over.

Isnt that the whole point of adjusting unit points though? Bringing stuff in line according to their power, not outright removing said unit from matched play. 

If Warchanters went up 30 points, you would still take Warchanters, but your overall army is nerfed since you might have to give up a screen of 5 Ardboyz or whatever to fit everything else within the 2.000 pts. mark.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kasper said:

Isnt that the whole point of adjusting unit points though? Bringing stuff in line according to their power, not outright removing said unit from matched play. 

If Warchanters went up 30 points, you would still take Warchanters, but your overall army is nerfed since you might have to give up a screen of 5 Ardboyz or whatever to fit everything else within the 2.000 pts. mark.

But thing is, orruk warclans doesnt need any nerf, nor do warchanters. Only fix this army need y is to replace the brute warscroll batallion for something unique. The battletome is pretty balanced and on a sweet tier spot for competitive games.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tsokuma said:

Hi everyone! I am complete novice in AOS, and I'd love to know about your experience as orruk players to help me with my orruk army!

Currently I have two SC, one box of ardboys, one box of svage orruks (I need another one I guess), one Wurrgog Porphet, one Weirdnob Shaman, one megaboss on foot, and a handmade Rogue Idol.

Here are examples of 2 lists that I try to make as big waaagh. Please keep in mind that I have not thought of artifacts, reigns and stuff like that (any advice is greatly appreciated).

I would love your feedback on those, based on the fact that I would love to keep the Rogue Idol to try combos on him. And also I have a few questions: Is it viable to play Big Waaagh with my comp, maximizing waaagh points (by now being mostly ironjawz)? Knowing that you can get 2 wardoks out of 2 savage boxes, what would you take out to put them since they seem so valuable for their low cost? Are there any other army lists based on these kits that you would recommend me to try?

Thank you very much in advance!

AOS LIST 1.pdf 5.73 MB · 6 downloads AOS LIST 2.pdf 5.73 MB · 2 downloads

I would stick to having 2 warchanters on the list. Besides i would try to get one batallion (proably ironfist and put the 6 goregruntas on one unit and have the champion there) . So you get the extra artifact. Also try to get a wardokk so you can double buff your rogue idol and teleport it to give them hell

Edited by Bululu

I have a question:  Am I correct in saying that no Realm Artefacts are allowed in a Big Waaagh Allegience?  It says "Any artefacts of power taken for an Ironjawz hero must come from the Ironjawz Artefacts of Power tables (pg 57)"  and likewise for Bonesplitterz - my underlining.  Just wanting a second opinion, thanks.

Edited by Aelfric

@Aelfric Very interesting spot there! You are allowed to add in the items on Warscroll Builder and Azyr but this is certainly something worth checking with the FaQ team. Could be a game changer.

Edit: Hold on - just checked the Orruk Warclans Designers Commentary:

Q: If I take a Big Waaagh! army, can I choose artefacts of power from Malign Sorcery for the Heroes in my army?

A: Yes.

Edited by VonSmall
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, VonSmall said:

@Aelfric Very interesting spot there! You are allowed to add in the items on Warscroll Builder and Azyr but this is certainly something worth checking with the FaQ team. Could be a game changer.

Edit: Hold on - just checked the Orruk Warclans Designers Commentary:

Q: If I take a Big Waaagh! army, can I choose artefacts of power from Malign Sorcery for the Heroes in my army?

A: Yes.

Great, thanks! Should have thought of checking the FAQs - duh.  That's nice to know.  Haven't delved into Big Waaagh yet, so still finding my way.  May be a while before I'll get a game in the current circumstances, but that leaves plenty of time to prepare.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on this Low model-count smashy with pigs list? Have only played ‘splitterz before but big monsters looks fun. Is it too MSU? Too many heroes? Was just going to buff the big’uns and push them forwards.

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Ironclad  
- Artefact: Daubing of Mork  
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Chompas
Rogue Idol (400)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 125

Edited by 5kaven5lave
Spelling

13 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Any thoughts on this Low model-count smashy with pigs list? Have only played ‘splitterz before but big monsters looks fun. Is it too MSU? Too many heroes? Was just going to buff the big’uns and push them forwards.

- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Wardokk (80)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Chompas
Rogue Idol (400)

Hi @5kaven5lave - the list certainly has some heavy hitters in it! The only thing I would say is that this army feels like a 'get in their face Turn 1' list. One of the big benefits of Big Waaagh is the bonuses to hit/wound which you won't be getting until around T2 at the earliest with this list. If you are wanting to go for the Alpha Strike i'd consider getting some more bodies in if you are able.

13 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Wardokk (80)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)
- Chompas
Rogue Idol (400)

Hi @5kaven5lave - the list certainly has some heavy hitters in it! The only thing I would say is that this army feels like a 'get in their face Turn 1' list. One of the big benefits of Big Waaagh is the bonuses to hit/wound which you won't be getting until around T2 at the earliest with this list. If you are wanting to go for the Alpha Strike i'd consider getting some more bodies in if you are able.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VonSmall said:

Thanks man, I think I’m probably looking at something that would be better in Ironjawz allegiance so I’ll start looking into that instead. 

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- Jagged Gore-hackas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Chronomantic Cogs (80)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 124

I've been training for a Tournament with this list, and it's done alright. I've beaten the general Idoneth Deepkin all eels list, and I beat a tough BlightKings Nurgle list, but I've lost to Slaanesh twice now. The list is 90 Daemonettes, 2 KOS and the Enchanted Mirror thingy. I just can't seem to figure out how to crush Slaanesh. Allegedly it's one of our worst match ups according to the gaming club I'm in? 

Any advice is appreciated. Even just like any changes to the list I ought to make. It's not necessarily set in stone. 

Heads up: In the training games I've been proxying a Weirdknob Shaman for counts as Wurrgog. I really like the Wurrgog so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on buying one. It's been 4-5 games and he's been stellar. Other than that I have only Ironjawz stuff. I own 0 bonesplittaz. As far as adjusting my list. 

Also I'm a slow painter and the tournament is last week of august so I have about 2 and a half months to paint the above list should I choose to keep it as is. I've only gotten 3 gore-gruntas painted and 10 ardboyz so far. :/ 

Edited by Ravinsild

Hi @Ravinsild Slannesh is a really tough matchup for us as the number of wounds they do to us that get converted into slannesh points is huge.  However, your list is actually one of the better ones for us because you have a couple of really good combo's you can pull off using activation shenanigans.  It would involve you swapping out the Wurgog for a Weirdnob with Hand of Gork though. So...picture this.

If you want to pretty much guarantee the charge you can do the following:

Hero Phase:

• Buff up the Ardboys with Warchanter.
  • Teleport the Ardboys 9" in front of the Slannesh line.
  • Pigs use their Might Destroyers on the Maw Krusha who bounds up the board so he's within 18" of the ardboys.
  • Maw Krusha then uses his Mighty Destroyers on the teleported Ardboys to make them charge (which you can re-roll with CP if failed)

Movement Phase:

• Retreat with the ardboys so they are now just over 3" away from any Slannesh models.

Combat Phase:

• Even if the Slannesh player has used the strike last ability on your ardboys, they cannot pile in an attack as they are not within 3" to enable their pile in. You, however, can now pile in because you made a charge move in the turn. 

It's janky and a bit gamey but it means you can get into combat and wipe something out without getting hurt back. The Slannesh player than has to use their first turn to clear your ardboys out. If you then get the second turn you can essentially either repeat by teleporting the other ardboy unit forward, or use the ability to allow the Krusha to charge/retreat and repeat the process. Another strength of this type of aggressive play if that by being up in their face you make it very difficult for them to summon units as they must do this more than 9" away from you.

(Note: taking a Weirdnob would also make the Cogs a little defunct as you would never get the chance to cast it so you'd be gaining 130 points total.)

Edited by VonSmall
  • Like 4