AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

22 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

@NauticalSoup thanks for the round up of the options! So many good options that its hard to choose from them. I wanted to fit a idol in, but at 1.5k it leaves to little space for the bodies (after you discount the almost 500 points for spend on heroes). I put the brutes in a 10 unity to better recieve the warchanter buff, but with ardboys I doubt they would recieve it... I thought about getting a start collect, but would just 10 ardboys and 3 gore grutas be enought? 

@Arzalyn So focusing more on saving your money than on building the most optimal 1500 point list:

If you add the Ardboys & Gore Gruntas from a Start Collecting box, and finally a single box of 20 additional Savage Orruks (to make a 30 man blob with stikkas) you could do precisely 1500 points with an Ironfist battalion.

Or you could forget the Ironfist, keep the Ardboys & Gore Gruntas and make the 30 blob into Arrowboys. This would let you toss in your Wardokk as well. 

With an extra Warchanter, a Weirdnob and a Wardokk there's a lot of ways you could configure this but I think spending the smallest possible amount is usually the best start point when standing up a new army. With these units you'd be well along towards building a full 2k as well. You can always add more stuff later, but you probably want to start with just what you need to get playing!

Edited by NauticalSoup
  • Thanks 1

Furthermore on the Brute topic. 

If you want to run brutes and want them to be as efficient as possible, run them in a Da Choppas Clan. It mitigates their bravery issue, gives them reroll charges (so no cp lost there) and their warchanters can buff multiple units. I’d say using a bunch of them with a footboss general with say boss skewer. Then MBMK with whatever load out you’d like along with a fat unit of Gruntas. 

I feel IJ builds are fairly obvious when looking at the clans.
ironsunz = MBMK focused. 
bloodtoofs = grunta focused. 
da choppas = brute focused. 
Ardboys are just a good (albeit expensive) battleline choice to fill in 

My 2cents away

21 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Furthermore on the Brute topic. 

If you want to run brutes and want them to be as efficient as possible, run them in a Da Choppas Clan. It mitigates their bravery issue, gives them reroll charges (so no cp lost there) and their warchanters can buff multiple units. I’d say using a bunch of them with a footboss general with say boss skewer. Then MBMK with whatever load out you’d like along with a fat unit of Gruntas. 

Imo if you're doing that you forgo the cabbage, take a brutefist and as many brutes as you can fit.

Something like this

Allegiance: Ironjawz
- Warclan: Choppas

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Checked Out
- Artefact: The Boss Skewer
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Killa Beat
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Great Green Visions
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Battalions
Brute Fist (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175

You're brutes are running at bravery 9 near the megaboss, you have hand of gork to try and do some teleport shenanigans and GGV to throw out some extra CP's to funnel into the +1 damage on your brutes.

The brutefist cuts your drops down, gives you the artefact/cp and means that you're brutes are inflicting mortals on the charge giving you a lot of potential MW output in the charge phase. You are really heavily focused on making them work though and going to be slow. On the plus side anything which comes near you will be blendered and you put a TON of wounds on the board.

27 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

ironsunz = MBMK focused. 

At the moment Ironsunz is the clan you run. Everything else is tailored for a very specific theme list, see above, with no general usage.

If you're thinking of running "clanless" just play big waaagh! instead. The primary reason to go clanless is the trait and artefact which you can have in big waaagh with better allegiance abilities.

• LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Lanoss said:

ironsunz = MBMK focused. 

Personally I would say that Bloodtoofs is more Ardboyz focussed.  The one-shot teleport is used on a unit with inherent bonuses to charge, so you fling a massive block of Ardboyz across the table and charge at +4".  It's the most similar to the classic GH style of play.

48 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Personally I would say that Bloodtoofs is more Ardboyz focussed.  The one-shot teleport is used on a unit with inherent bonuses to charge, so you fling a massive block of Ardboyz across the table and charge at +4".  It's the most similar to the classic GH style of play.

What’s GH? Green Hordes? 

I just miss the old Ironjawz way of just being super fast and smashing in turn 1 with our surprise speed and going on a rampage. 

I remember back when the endless spells were new people making all kinds of lists with the old book and GHB2019 with Bloodtoofz and Cogs and it was all about speed and hitting hard. 

where’d that go? I don’t like big waaagh that much or savage Orruks. I just like the old plain and simple Ironjawz smash playstyle. 

Take Bloodtoofs then bud @Ravinsild

A MBMK or two ;) 

And a whole bunch of Goregruntas in a Gorefist. 
1. Gorefist moves 9”

2. MBMK mighty destroyers 12-14” up 
3. Hero can mighty destroyers Gruntas up another 9”  not necessary but possible  

4.. MBMK moves 12-14” up
5. Gruntas move 9” up

6. Everything charges with +2”!

Theres your turn 1 @Ravinsild

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Take Bloodtoofs then bud @Ravinsild

A MBMK or two ;) 

And a whole bunch of Goregruntas in a Gorefist. 
1. Gorefist moves 9”

2. MBMK mighty destroyers 12-14” up 
3. Hero can mighty destroyers Gruntas up another 9”  not necessary but possible  

4.. MBMK moves 12-14” up
5. Gruntas move 9” up

6. Everything charges with +2”!

Theres your turn 1 @Ravinsild

I'd go ironsunz instead personally. You lose the +1 To charge but everything is -1 To hit instead.

- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- General
- Trait: Dead Kunnin'

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Gorefist (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 129

Massive alphastrike potential and the -1 To hit really negates The retaliation potential.

The cabbage and both units of pigs should hit with +1 damage and with dead cunnin + ggv you should have ~4 CP on turn 1. That's enough to MD and still have your charge in the enemy charge phase.

• LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I'd go ironsunz instead personally. You lose the +1 To charge but everything is -1 To hit instead.

- Warclan: Ironsunz

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- General
- Trait: Dead Kunnin'

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Gorefist (130)

Massive alphastrike potential and the -1 To hit really negates The retaliation potential.

The cabbage and both units of pigs should hit with +1 damage and with dead cunnin + ggv you should have ~4 CP on turn 1. That's enough to MD and still have your charge in the enemy charge phase.

Only problem is I still gotta get all those pigs. I only have 9 pigs atm haha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

What’s GH? Green Hordes? 

I just miss the old Ironjawz way of just being super fast and smashing in turn 1 with our surprise speed and going on a rampage. 

I remember back when the endless spells were new people making all kinds of lists with the old book and GHB2019 with Bloodtoofz and Cogs and it was all about speed and hitting hard. 

where’d that go? I don’t like big waaagh that much or savage Orruks. I just like the old plain and simple Ironjawz smash playstyle. 

Sorry I meant General's Handbook - so I'm meaning that window where we had a spell lore for the Teleport, and big Battalions for the extra +1" to charge, but not the Clans or the full book.

So I'm talking about the same kind of stuff  you are really - you could totally combine that with the tech that @Lanoss is citing to hit them from all sides at once.  Mighty D your pigs and / or Krusha along the deck, teleport your Ardboyz into the backfield, and BAM! BAM! BAM! 

• Like 1

Speaking of the big Battalions - and not that I would go there - but would I be correct in thinking that they are technically Matched Play legal?

They have points in the current GH19, and everything they containt still exists.

Bloodtoofs Warclan in a Bloodtoofs Battalion for +3" to charge?

Ironsunz and Ironsunz for neg 2 to be hit in the first Battleround, and loads of CPs?

Or even Ironsunz Warclan in a Bloodtoof Battalion, to get those countercharges cranking at +2"?

The opportunities are endless, for anyone gamey enough to go there!

35 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Speaking of the big Battalions - and not that I would go there - but would I be correct in thinking that they are technically Matched Play legal?

They have points in the current GH19, and everything they containt still exists.

Ironsunz and Ironsunz for neg 2 to be hit in the first Battleround, and loads of CPs?

Or even Ironsunz Warclan in a Bloodtoof Battalion, to get those countercharges cranking at +2"?

I thought the newest publication rules were senior so all previous version of Ironjawz rules are superseded by the most recent publication... that being Orruk Warclans Battletome replacing Ironjawz Battletome and GHB 2018 and 2019

13 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

I thought the newest publication rules were senior so all previous version of Ironjawz rules are superseded by the most recent publication... that being Orruk Warclans Battletome replacing Ironjawz Battletome and GHB 2018 and 2019

It does but don't they also usually let you continue to take everything matched play legal that still has points until those points get removed in the GHB? Like that's why we can still use Greenskinz units in Big Waaagh. Or why you can still play Dispossessed with dwarf warriors instead of CoS.

14 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/6f127a6b.pdf

Page 18 – Ironjawz Pitched Battle Profiles Remove the following pitched battle profiles:
• Bloodtoofs
• Ironsunz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Been running a heavy combat focused (largely IJ) BW army with great success for a while, although nobody in my local play Skaven or Nurgle with Plague Monks and we really only have 1 guy with Fyreslayers, so there really haven't been many matchups where the green boys can't munch the enemy in melee.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2

I'm starting to want to participate in tournaments where there will be a much bigger range of armies/lists, and because of this I thought of leaning a bit more into magic with a Wurrgog. I'm a bit hestitant how much you should invest into Endless Spells though and worry it will gnaw too much into the overall wounds of the army. Is the Wurrgog fine on his own, or do you want to extend his range? I have thought of this list below. Alternatively you could skip out on the Balewind and Spellportal and upgrade the 5 Ardboyz to a unit of 10. Maybe replace the Spellportal with Purple Sun against stuff like OBR/Fyreslayers.

Overall I feel like the rest of the army is really set in stone - Both MK and 6 Pigs buffed will chew through pretty much anything. I love the threat of the teleport from the Shaman and I really feel he easily makes his points back by how much people spend on zoning their side of the board. The Ardboyz are largely screens to prevent alphastrikes, but are also there to run forward and chew through the enemys chaff, forcing their big key units to come out and play, then get countercharged by MK/6 pigs and die. Everything just feels good and works on the table. In general I'm a very defensive player and you will likely never see either the MK or 6 pigs be shot up the board in turn 1 - They will wait behind the screens usually.

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Wounds: 120

6 hours ago, Kasper said:

Been running a heavy combat focused (largely IJ) BW army with great success for a while, although nobody in my local play Skaven or Nurgle with Plague Monks and we really only have 1 guy with Fyreslayers, so there really haven't been many matchups where the green boys can't munch the enemy in melee.

Hide contents

Leaders
- General
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Extra Command Point (50)

Extra Command Points: 2

I'm starting to want to participate in tournaments where there will be a much bigger range of armies/lists, and because of this I thought of leaning a bit more into magic with a Wurrgog. I'm a bit hestitant how much you should invest into Endless Spells though and worry it will gnaw too much into the overall wounds of the army. Is the Wurrgog fine on his own, or do you want to extend his range? I have thought of this list below. Alternatively you could skip out on the Balewind and Spellportal and upgrade the 5 Ardboyz to a unit of 10. Maybe replace the Spellportal with Purple Sun against stuff like OBR/Fyreslayers.

Overall I feel like the rest of the army is really set in stone - Both MK and 6 Pigs buffed will chew through pretty much anything. I love the threat of the teleport from the Shaman and I really feel he easily makes his points back by how much people spend on zoning their side of the board. The Ardboyz are largely screens to prevent alphastrikes, but are also there to run forward and chew through the enemys chaff, forcing their big key units to come out and play, then get countercharged by MK/6 pigs and die. Everything just feels good and works on the table. In general I'm a very defensive player and you will likely never see either the MK or 6 pigs be shot up the board in turn 1 - They will wait behind the screens usually.

Hide contents

It is the exact same list i'm playing actually and I have great succes ! 

Already beat a standard 40 monks / 6 stormfiends Skaven's list and I will do a tournament this week-end. 

My main hesitation was between a weirdnob Shaman + 1 CP vs a Wurrgog prophet, but the threat of a HoG + the extra CP generation made my choice, for now atleast 

I can report how it goes. 

Edited by Arkahn

1 minute ago, Arkahn said:

It is the exact same list i'm playing actually and I have great succes ! 

Already beat a standard 40 monks / 6 stormfiends Skaven's list and I will do a tournament this week-end. 

I can report how it goes. 

The one with Waagh Banner or the second with Wurrgog? ;) 

Just now, Arkahn said:

Waaagh banner ! It is so strong in big waaagh !

As an exemple on a MK 8/2+/2+ reroll 1/-2/3!!

I find it a lot of fun on a unit of 6 pigs ;) If you pop the Waagh ability for +1 attack and the Waagh Banner for another +1 attack, you're looking at almost 75 attacks from the 6 pigs, hitting on 2s, wounding on 2s (with reroll 1s from banner), half at -1 and 2 damage each. 

How do you deal with stuff like Plague Monks or Fyreslayers? Wont the Fyreslayers just fight first and kill your stuff? Plague Monks are also cheaper, so feels like a bad trade when they get to fight back upon death. As said I haven't fought either of those lists, so wouldn't know the outcome.

2 hours ago, Kasper said:

I find it a lot of fun on a unit of 6 pigs ;) If you pop the Waagh ability for +1 attack and the Waagh Banner for another +1 attack, you're looking at almost 75 attacks from the 6 pigs, hitting on 2s, wounding on 2s (with reroll 1s from banner), half at -1 and 2 damage each. 

How do you deal with stuff like Plague Monks or Fyreslayers? Wont the Fyreslayers just fight first and kill your stuff? Plague Monks are also cheaper, so feels like a bad trade when they get to fight back upon death. As said I haven't fought either of those lists, so wouldn't know the outcome.

VS Plague Monks the best I found was to charge them from two sides and kill them in one combat phase w/MK or 6 pigs. 

FS, I still not try it against them but what @NauticalSoupsaid can be a good option and maybe the only one though 😅

14 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Fist of Gork.

VS plague monks yes but imo they are not the biggest threat, berserkers are, even with a 10+ cast on FoG, you'll do 5 MW on average... 

That's why my choice is to keep the weirdnob for a potential HoG 

Edited by Arkahn