AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

21 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Big Waaagh review is live on the Blog:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2019/11/11/battletome-orruk-warclans-big-waaagh-review/

It's the main army I've been playing since the book dropped, I just can't put it down because it's so much fun.  Love it.

(Link updated to take you straight there, thanks for pointing that out!)

+1 for using Destroyer. It's just very. very fun.

• Like 1

I'm off to a tournament Saturday and I can't decide whether to run this list with the 2 warchanters or swap 1 chanter for a weirdnob, and if I do go with weirdnob what spell to run. I tried the 2 chanter list last night and it was great fun against the gitz army I was facing, but I feel like it's a bit too vulnerable with no magic protection at all. The 2 free MDs meant I didn't really feel like I needed hand of gork, so maybe a damage spell would be better, but I only have 4 units for wrath of gork...

Chanters list

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Choppa and Rip-tooth fist
- Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet
- Mount Trait: Weird 'Un
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112

7 hours ago, broche said:

Anyone think Cog could still be usefull? 80 pts is expensive, but it's still a powerfull spell. Combine well with Maniak Weirnob reroll cast and/or cast bonus from da big waaagh

If you truly want to alphastrike everything turn 1 (I'm not a fan of this playstyle) - Sure I guess. Otherwise I wouldn't value it all that much since we are already rather fast (at least with MK + GGs) and wouldn't want to give the enemy too much move.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:09 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Big Waaagh review is live on the Blog:

https://plasticcraic.blog/2019/11/11/battletome-orruk-warclans-big-waaagh-review/

It's the main army I've been playing since the book dropped, I just can't put it down because it's so much fun.  Love it.

(Link updated to take you straight there, thanks for pointing that out!)

I love your idea, but I don't understand how 'pebbles' could have 3 different save rolls.

And... Of course, this is my iteration:

Screenshot_20191119-081803.png

Screenshot_20191119-081816.png

I have to say, as an IJ player, I've been migrating further into Big Waaagh the last few weeks. I feel the two sides compliment each other nicely and the combined passive abilities across both factions is amazing. 

I started with a cabbage and have added the idol recently and am now thinking of dropping the big bowling ball vegetable for more army wide support.

The idol is just so good in Big Waaagh, simply because it benefits from all buffs having the appropriate IJ and Bonesplitterz key words. Biggest issue I'm finding is a cheap-ish unit to use as a backfield screening unit that I don't really care if that's all they do all game.

@Nezzhil He gets 3 saves because of his armor save, his innate warscroll 5++ save then the Big Waaagh 6++ save (provided you have enough points to get the ability) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brakkus said:

I have to say, as an IJ player, I've been migrating further into Big Waaagh the last few weeks. I feel the two sides compliment each other nicely and the combined passive abilities across both factions is amazing. 

I started with a cabbage and have added the idol recently and am now thinking of dropping the big bowling ball vegetable for more army wide support.

The idol is just so good in Big Waaagh, simply because it benefits from all buffs having the appropriate IJ and Bonesplitterz key words. Biggest issue I'm finding is a cheap-ish unit to use as a backfield screening unit that I don't really care if that's all they do all game.

@Nezzhil He gets 3 saves because of his armor save, his innate warscroll 5++ save then the Big Waaagh 6++ save (provided you have enough points to get the ability) 

Same issue. That's one of the only weaknesses for the book. Good old Orruks are only 80 points! Other than that, next cheapest with decent bravery would be 5 Ardboyz or 10 Savage Orruk Morboys. Options are limited.

3 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Same issue. That's one of the only weaknesses for the book. Good old Orruks are only 80 points! Other than that, next cheapest with decent bravery would be 5 Ardboyz or 10 Savage Orruk Morboys. Options are limited.

Yeah man! 80 points Orruks, use 'em while you can! 

Everyone went straight to the Warboss, and he is cool...but 1 wound junk chaff has its own niche and uses in the game.  I've been running them in my list at the link that @Nezzhil shared above.

And yeah as @Brakkus pointed out, Pebbles has his armour save, then his Warscroll 5++ ignore, then his Big Waaagh 6++ ignore (because he has the Orruk keyword).  He can be a great anvil unit.

• Like 1

With tinkering with list ideas, I decided on allying in a unit of shootas for my back line screening unit. For reference, this is the list I'm trying out this Friday.

Megaboss - General, Mighty Destroyers

Warchanter - Fixin' Beat

Wardokk - Kunnin' Beast Spirits

Prophet - Morks Boney Bits, Breath of Gorkamorka

Fungoid - Ally

Gore Gruntas x6 - Pig Iron Choppas

Ardboyz x15 - 1 of each banner

Savage Orruks x30 - Stikkas

Shootas x20 - Allies

Rogue Idol

Comes out to 2k on the nose. I'm trying out no cabbage, so invested those points in a few more bodies. I think the fungoid/prophet combo will give me more reliable success of an extra CP each turn. The pigs give me a nice utility unit for what the situation calls for. Ardboyz and orruks give a decent body count and something that can take a punch. Idol is the main mamma-jamma that can be buffed to holy heck and tossed wherever needed. Finally, the shootas can be either a back field screening unit that can supply some pot shots here and there, or can be a chaff wall to take incoming charges if need (I mean what are grots really there for in an orruk army)

Any thoughts/critique on the list are welcome and I'm interested to see how things go with out the cabbage to be a big distraction. 

Thanks

I have been working on this idea since the start of AOS, so it is great that the new tome gives some boosts across the board. In terms of list combinations and complementary lists, it hasn't gotten any easier to find a list to maximise the potential of both factions. For mine, the savage boar boyz and gruntaz combo should work well, using the savage boyz to screen the IJ. I think back field, the arrow boyz work well and could be screened with 10 ard boyz but seems expensive. I run cabbage boy coz its cool, a warchanter and wardokk. Right now, i think the IJ survive just fine on their own, and the BS aren't really any better than they were and need to be rolled in somehow to be effective. My concept is:

Maw Krusha

Warchanter

Wardokk

30 Arrow boyz

2 x 3 Gruntaz

2 x 5 Savage Boar Boyz

2 x 5 Brutes

after that I run out of ideas. I think this strikes a balance between the two forces but is sub-optimal.

@Nezzhil Well, I ended up playing Slaanesh and the mission was Total Commitment (I think) so it was a bit rough. I played defensively the first turn, as my opponent was too far away for me to engage in any meaningful way and I didn't want to just throw away the Rogue Idol, so I re-positioned, sat on my two points and passed the turn. 

My opponent had an ok first turn, but didn't do too much.He more or less set up for a double, which he got,  and it was an uphill struggle from there. His KoS had the thermal rider cloak, so there was no hiding from it. Between the entirety of turn 2, his KoS being able to fight multiple times and him not failing a single locus attempt, it was an uphill battle. I managed to claw back into it, as I got the double from 2-3, but Big Waagh is Slaanesh's dream, as everything has multiple wounds, so my opponent had depravity points for days. 

On his turn 3 he summoned in a new KoS to replace the one I killed along with a 30 block of daemonettes. At that point I didn't have the bodies or hitting power to weather the storm and he won on points. 

I did make some mistakes with positioning, as I had to commit mid-game to try and get his heroes off the board and I was out of position for buffing, but I feel like the list has some potential. A 6 block of pigs wiped the first KoS in a single round and the Rogue Idol survived to the end. The shootas were killed turn 2 by a double chariot charge, but they did what I wanted, which was score points/screen/die. They also don't give depravity so that's a bonus, but they need further testing. 

The fungoid and prophet both also generated a command point every turn, which left me with an excessive amount of CP's by the end of the game. I think if I swap the fungoid for another wardokk and the shootas for stabbas, it'll give me more utility. The stabbas can bring a minus to hit rolls and the wardokk can take Gorkamorka's Warcry to let me potentially have some punch in the activation wars. 

All in all, I really liked the list but it was my first time playing it, so the more I play with it, the better I'll get. However, outside of the first turn, I was impressed with my options in spell defense. Granted, I rolled boxcars to dispell one time, but I was able to unbind all my opponents spell attempts once he got close and I rolled an 11 on Fist of Gork, wiping 14 of 30 daemonettes near the end, so that was a bonus. Plus, a buffed up Rogue Idol is an absolute house. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Had a game against Mawtribes last night with my double krushas, he had 3 cannons with the 2-shot battalion but my prayers to gorkamorka worked as I rolled 4 5+ armour saves against his turn 1 shooting. After that my krushas rolled down his flank while ardboyz and gruntas held up his main blob of gluttons. By the time the 2+/2+ kicked in it was a pretty foregone conclusion and I tabled him by end of turn 3 for the loss of 10 ardboyz and 3 gruntas.

Tzeentch and Cities will absolutely tear me a new one, but in the meantime I'm loving big waaagh! :D

Hi guys, er... awright boyz,

Creeping in from the Order side of the forum with a link to an interview I've just done with my friend Lawrence on the stunning Ironjawz army he recently unveiled at Warhammer Achivements this month, taking home the best army trophy, including his frankly staggering scratch build Rogue Idol:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/11/city-spotlight-lawrences-sunz-of-rust.html

WhatsApp+Image+2019-11-19+at+23.06.40+%2

WhatsApp+Image+2019-11-19+at+23.06.39+%2

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 3

I've this list that look gimmick, but might actually not that bad:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Maniak Weirdnob (120)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (360)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)
Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 170

So the goal is to use wrath of gork early to kill important and hard to stuff (grey seer, khemist, fyreslayer hero). Arrowboys can clean glass stuff quickly, and fist of gork is a good answer to horde. An issue is that 6 drop is actually average, and the army is quite dependant on his heroes, however it should go first against current shooting list (skaven and cities) and that is the most important. Ironfist is there to help increase reach of Wrath of gork if needed.

Other variant could work as well, but this would be my take for an MSU / wrath of gork list I think. All the cast are very consistent. Ardfist should help in the long game against Slaneesh to answer summoning.

• Like 1

Big Waaagh: "make a Megaboss your General and give him the Brutally Cunning Command Trait." Do this work?

and then how about this, do this also work?

"Great Hunter: When using the Tireless Trackers trait, move up to 8" instead of 5."

"Glowin' Tattooz: Hero gets a 4+ save instead of a 6+ tattoo save."

2 hours ago, nissefika said:

Big Waaagh: "make a Megaboss your General and give him the Brutally Cunning Command Trait." Do this work?

and then how about this, do this also work?

"Great Hunter: When using the Tireless Trackers trait, move up to 8" instead of 5."

"Glowin' Tattooz: Hero gets a 4+ save instead of a 6+ tattoo save."

Yes, no and no.