AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Final round of the heat saw my Big Waagh square off against my club mate and his IDK. I’d played his armies 3 times in practice games and had gone 1-2, so I knew what it was capable of.

Round 3: IDK in Places of Arcane Power

I don’t have a copy of his army list, so I’m not sure of the enclave/artifacts/battalion/etc but he had the following:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin

Leaders
Volturnos, High King of the Deep (270)
Isharann Soulscryer (130)

Battleline
10 x Namarti Thralls (120)

Units
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (340)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (140)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (110)
-
 Razorshell Harpoon
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (110)
-
 Razorshell Harpoon

Behemoths
Akhelian Leviadon (340)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

My opponent out dropped me due to having a battalion and made me go first. He deployed his thralls off to his left flank, one shark and a unit of 6 eels off the board with the soulscryer and everything else was castled up in the middle.

I was pretty sure I was going to be given first turn so I deployed with my 30 boys in the middle, maw krusha, ard boyz and warchanter to my right flank, prophet supporting the middle and the pigs, brutes and other warchanter slightly off center to the left.

My plan was to hop the maw krusha on the right hand objective, screen out the middle objective and pop the prophet on to it and try to control those two for the game. I planned to cycle my warchanter onto the objective my maw krusha was on after two turns and then try and use the cabbage to selectively engage his army and push across with pressure.

My turn 1: I did what I wanted to do but couldn’t get a good enough movement with the 30 orruks due to entangling terrain. Because of this I didn’t feel 100% confident on how well I could hold the middle. I fanned out the rest of my army and was hoping my opponent would try to focus in on my maw krusha with his eels that were off the board.

I buffed up the pigs, might destroyer moved them forward and sent them in to the teeth of his army. It wasn’t a great plan but with the poor movement in the middle of the board, my goal was to hopefully keep his army back and locked up for at least the entirety of turn 1.

Pigs went in to the ishlaen guard and did 6 wounds in total. A 2+ unrendable save is a pretty tough nut to crack. In return, 4 of the pigs died and I used inspiring presence to keep them around.

His turn 1: He didn’t take the maw krusha bait and brought his units on from the other side of the board. He hopped Volturnos on to his far objective, pushed his 6 eels that were in the center up towards my 30 savage boys and brought his shark around to my left hand flank.

He fired one shark into my 30 savage orruks, preventing them from piling in. His second shark shot at my pigs to prevent them from piling in and his turtle had to shoot the pigs as well due to being locked in combat.

His 6 eels that came in off the board edge failed their re-rollable charge, which helped the situation. His other 6 eels charged into my savage orruks and I had put my prophet about 1/4" too far forward and he got electrocuted, but survived. His shark that had come in off the board edge also rolled very high and the +3 from his hero allowed him to jump my brutes and get into my warchanter.

Combat phase saw my pigs die, my prophet and warchanter die and a couple of savage orruks bite the dust. A couple more wounds snuck through on the defensive eels and the savage orruks took down 1 or 2 as well.

Things weren’t looking good at the end of turn 1 with half my heroes dead and one of my hammer units gone. However, I won priority and took the turn.

My turn 2: I buffed up my brutes with +1 damage and ran the warchanter towards my maw krusha to hot potato the objective from the cabbage to the chanter next turn.

I decided I had to commit and punch back or else I’d get rolled. I retreated my savage orruks out of combat to better try and screen off his units that were a bit further back, I pushed my brutes and ard boyz up and rolled the charges.

Brutes went into his shark that had killed my warchanter and tagged his 6 eels that were previously engaged with the savage orruks. I put my ard boyz into his turtle and tagged his defensive eels so they couldn’t fly over and kill my warchanter next turn.

Ard boyz did nothing to his turtle and lost 6 or 7 in total. Brutes slaughtered the shark and tore down all but one eel while losing a single brute. I scored my two points and passed the turn.

His turn 2 he did the same thing with his heroes I was planning on doing next turn. His soulscryer took the objective from Volturnos and Big V moved into the middle of the board.

His remaining shark shot the ard boyz, preventing them from piling in, he moved his thralls up, the defensive eels kept the 30 savage orruks from really moving anywhere and he charged his 6 remaining morsarr into my brutes. His one remaining morsarr flew over the top and eyed up my warchanter for the next turn.

Combat saw the turtle and Volturnos slaughter the ard boyz, with Big V claiming the objective in the process, my savage orruks held pretty well against the shark and a couple of morsarr attacks but the brutes were taken down. I think I killed an eel but those shocks did a lot of damage to the brutes.

He scored 2 points and passed the turn. I won priority going into turn 3 and took it.

My turn 3: With the scored tied at 3, I knew I had to bring the cabbage into the fight. If I just sat back, he had the movement to gang up on the maw krusha and destroy me. I buffed the krusha up with the warchanter buff, mighty destroyer moved him up and prepared to take down Volturnos and the turtle in one go.

In my hero phase, entangling terrain reared itself again, as even with a 6 for a run roll, my warchanter was just slightly out of claiming the objective. That hurt badly and really sealed the defeat for me, but I pushed on.

Maw krusha shot at Volturnos and did a wound and I failed my charge. A re-roll saw me get in and my thought was to engage both his general and the turtle but then I remembered his army fought first in turn 3 and decided to ignore the turtle for now. After mortal wounds from the charge, Volturnos struck my maw krusha and a single attack wounded and got through. Cabbage easily destroyed V and I took the objective back.

His turn 3 saw him bring basically everything he had left onto my maw krusha. The thralls and one remaining morsarr charged into the warchanter and his turtle and shark charge into the maw krusha.

Warchanter got obliterated and the Idoneth took the maw krusha down to 2 wounds remaining. He lives, which was a big mistake! The megaboss and his rend 3 attacks promptly massacred the shark and the turtle was left on 3 wounds.

I won the priority for turn 4 and took the turn.

My turn 4 saw me kill the turtle with hero phase combat but with my maw krusha so damaged, I was down to 8” movement and couldn’t get to his hero to stop him from scoring. We called it there because it was highly doubtful my krusha would live and his hero would score 2 points on turn 4 and 3 points on turn 5. With me not being able to realistically score moving forward or being able to stop him from scoring, we called it.

Major victory to the IDK

Thoughts: this is a tough matchup for me, as IDK have extremely high movement, flying units all over the place and can really dictate engagements. I know I made some errors in this game but I was happy with how I was able to claw back into the game and really make a go of it.

Overall, I was happy with my results, especially with not consistently playing against other people over the last year. I ended up finishing third behind the IDK and a Sons of Behemat player but I’m really loving the Warclans book and am looking forward to playing in the finals of the tournament this coming Saturday. 

The missions and qualifying armies were announced today and it looks like it will be a good time. 

• Like 3

Finished up the finals of the tournament today and went 2-1, final record overall was 4-2 and put me in 5th place.

Games this week were as follows:

-Knife to the Heart against Sons of Behemat (major victory) 

-Focal Points against IDK (major loss)

-Blade's Edge against Lumineth (major victory) 

I ended up going 4-0 against non-IDK (lost against the same player both weekends) so pretty happy with my performance overall. 

Really enjoyed playing against real life people for a change

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I´m preparing a new list just for testing but I´m not sure.

The idea es (more or less): general on maw (-1 rend and ignore spells?), wardokk, 2 warchanters, 30 archers, 6 gore gruntas, 5 brutes and idol. During the first turn, all the buffs into the rock and throw it into the enemy lines, and the next turn use the warchanters over maw and gruntas ant the two buffs of +1 save into the archers for secure my objetives. Archers and make some wounds on enemy monsters or try to kill some little heroes, but is hard.

I´m not sure about the list, but I´m afraid about orruks with the current meta. Any idea for playing maw and idol?

• 3 months later...

Well, I have been absent from the forums for a bit. I got a house on May 15 and had to renovate the whole thing before move in at the end of June. All the new 3.0 news was so hard to ignore, but I did it! House complete, and 2.0 over.

One of the reasons I had to ignore 3.0 was because I was participating in the Grand Clash Goodbye 2.0 100 person tournament in Shawinigan, QC I took a Big Waaagh list and wound up going 3-3. The format was very different in that there were four 24 player rooms that were each their own separate event due to distancing and grouping restrictions. I finished 2-1 on Day 1, with my loss being a close 9-11 loss that could have been a 11-9 win if I made 7+ charge on turn 5 to take an objective. Oh well, it was vs Slaves to Darkness, and against a great player who went on to runner up for best sportsmanship award.  The other games were vs Stormcast who had to many wounds to chew through and a FEC player who only killed 15 Savage Orruks after double tapping 6 Horrors into them on a charge with +3 extra attacks. The Orruks then killed half the unit and that was the game.

Dead Kunin is for Inspiring Presence.

Here is my list:

Spoiler

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Dead Kunnin'
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110) 
- Artefact: Incandescent Rageblade
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110) 
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
UNITS
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320) 
- Pig-iron Choppas
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320) 
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130) 
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200) 
- 1 x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200) 
- 1 x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1 x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
30 x Savage Orruks (300) 
- Stikkas
BATTALIONS
Ironfist (160)

Day Two: Uhhohhh. This is the room with all the players who went 2-1 on Day 1 and had a high points total. The room was full of all the filth. DoK Seraphom, Lumineth, Tzeentch Archaon, Changehost, Kharadron. Anyways, I deserved to be playing in here but it wasn't going to be much fun.

Game 1: DoK - 15 Blood Stalkers, Morathi, Focal Points.

Spoiler

- Temple: Hagg Nar

Leaders
Morathi-Khaine (210)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
The Shadow Queen (390)
Bloodwrack Shrine (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
- Artefact: The Ulfuri
- Lore of Shadows: Steed of Shadows
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (220)
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine

Battleline
15 x Blood Stalkers (420)
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Witch Aelves (100)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Units
10 x Khinerai Heartrenders (160)
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Bloodwrack Viper (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122
10 Drops

I took first turn and Hard of Gork'd behind him then charged his Hag Queen on Cauldron getting all 10 Ardboys in to combat. With +1 to Hit I only managed to do 7 wounds and then it all went downhill from there. I was certain that I would kill it, and then be in combat with the Blood Stalkers to tie them up and or force them to shoot the Ardboys in the hero phase. Nope. A bunch died to combat, then more to MW's from spells, and the final wound was an Arcane Bolt. This meant that the Blood Stalkers could shoot whatever they wanted and blasted the other unit of 10 Ardboys off the table. My turn 2 could have gone well, I cast Hand of Gork on a 9, and Morathi unbind it on a 10. If she didn't then 6 buffed up GG's were about to tele, Mighty Destroyer and smash those Blood Stalkers off the table. It didn't, Morathi was trading well for her 3 wounds a turn and would have died but it was clear who was going to win this one going in to turn 3. I lost 20-0 and felt I had this matchup. 

My list is gogogo. This DoK is finely tuned top tier. No comments.

Game 2: Who do you play when you lose 20-0? Changehost!

On Places of Arcane Power vs Changehost with 3 Exated Flamers.

I don't out range this army. I can't screen their threats. His Flamers did 17D3 damage to one on my Warchanters. My Weirdnob was hiding in the back corner of my board so that I could hopefully tele and complete Pillage to get one VP and lose 1-19.

Seriously. This game was a lot of me not caring about the game and wondering how could gtfo of 2.0 as quickly as I could. Any other scenario and we have a game.

So, I'm now 1-39 on day two. 2W 3L Who do I have to play in game 3? Who else could have gone 1-39? The new Soulblight Gravelords.

I won this one and we both had fun, (not really, we were tired and this was game 6 of the weekend) We both took beatdowns that day.

Thanks for reading.

Now, I have to catch up on AoS 3.0 I have a few lists in mind but I am not sure how the rules work. I will use the other threads to comment on each topic to hopefully keep things together.

See ya later 2.0. I feel like we never really got to know each other.

• Like 1

I just finished my first 3.0 tournament. In fact it was my first game of 3.0 and age of Sigmar in over 2 years. It was a small local tournament. 3 rounds, 2k points, 2 battalions max. I was told that it was a laid back tournament to get our feet wet in the new edition. I went with this list:

Sub Faction: Drakkfoot

HQ
Wurrgog Prophet 170 (mork's boney bits, kunning bs)
Wardokk 85 (guidance, breath of gorkamorka)
Wardokk 85 (heal, gorka morka warcry)
Wardokk 85 (curse, brutal beast spirits, burning tattoo)

Battleline
30 Arrow Boys 390
5 Boar Boys 140 (stikkas)
5 Boar Boys 140 (stikkas)

Behemoth
Rogue Idol 420
Rogue Idol 420

Endless Spells
Emerald Life Swarm 60

Battalions: Warlord, alpha beast pack

Total: 1995

Round 1: vs Slaves to Darkness, survival of the fittest.

I don't have his list, but going from memory;

Bela'kor
Chaos lord
Chaos sorcerer
Warshrine
3 varanguard *general
3 varanguard
3 varanguard
20 Mauraders
20 Mauraders

He has 2 battalions, including Warlord, and marks of tzeentch.

It took a long time to get started, as we were both newbies to the edition and miscommunication on the deployment. Turn 1 go first. I castled up with my 2 rogue Idols screening my Arrow Boys and casters, and my Boar Boys are ready to charge up and grab objectives. Right off the bat, Bel'akor uses his special ability to shut down my rogue Idol. Due to terrain, and not wanting to leave it behind, I set up to counter strike.. with my boars poised to go after the side objectives next turn. I miss read my battle tactic so I did not score it. His turn he moves his varanguard to score the middle, and runs his Mauraders to go after the side objectives. He brings Bela'kor close to support the Varanguard. As it was, I was behind 1 point due to me missing my battle tactic. He had sacrificed a potential charge to ensure that he captured the center objective and in doing so Bela'kor and the Varanguard were right in my sights. If I won priority I would be able to put a big hurt on his army.

And..... he double turned. One unit of Mauraders made it to the right objective, and he teleported the 2nd Mauraders unit next to them to make sure my boars couldn't take it from them. He throws Bela'kor and varanguard into one of my Idols, and manages to kill one. My turn I erase Bela'kor and nearly another Varanguard unit. I didn't score my battle tactic, and he holds 2 objectives to my 1. Time is called, and he wins on points.

I think this match came down to the double turn, and being called early. However I believe it could have been anyone's game if it went the distance. I think his army was strong, and he went on to win the whole tournament and best painted. We both forgot several new rules, but it was a great start to learning the new edition.

Score: 0-1

Round 2: vs Ossiarch Bonereapers, Apex Predators

His list:

Arkhan
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason
Boneshaper
5 deathriders
20 mortek guard
20 mortek guard
Harvester
Harvester

He also had 2 battalions and the most common sub Faction whose name escapes me.

He wins 1st turn. I use my pregame moves to set up my castle. He runs his death riders and liege to the left objective, scoring it. Moves everything else up the middle. Arkhan gets a 1st turn charge and gets teleported to the right objective. One of the Morteks get into combat with the rogue Idols.

My turn I get my ferocious advance, heal up the Idols, use my boars on the left to screen against the death riders, send the other Boar Boys to go after Arkhan. I end up wiping out the 1st mortek guard, and a harvester. The boars survive fighting Arkhan, but only just. He also heals from the casualties, so really I shouldn't have bothered. Live and learn.

Round 2, he goes first. Next unit of mortek guard charges into the Idols, along with the Liege Kavalos. The Deathriders charge into my Boar screen. Arkhan kills the boars. Damage is dealt to the Idols, and damage is dealt back.

My turn I ****** myself out of a point by killing the Mortek guard with my Arrowboys instead of an Idol. One Idol kills the liege, the other kills both the Mason and the Boneshaper. The boars die to the Death riders, but they are down to 2 at this point. Time is called and he wins on points.

Over all, I think I could have taken this match up if I was given a full 5 rounds. 2 hours and 15 minutes was no where near enough time. I was steadily chewing through his army, and I may have tabled him if it continued. However, my strategy involved keeping my army clustered together, and with only Heroes able to score this mission he was able to get an early lead that I couldn't surmount in 2 turns.

Score: 0-2

Round 3: vs Daughters of Khaine, Savage Gains

His List:

Hagg Nar
Ulgu
Prized Sorcery

Blood wrack Medusa
Command trait: devoted disciplies
Artifact: shadow stone
Lore of Shadows: mindrazoe

Hag Queen on cauldron
Artifact: ulfuri
Prayer: catechism of murder

Morathi
Lore: pit of shades

Shadow queen

10 blood sisters
10 blood stalkers
20 witch Allies

Endless spell: blood wrack viper

Battalion: Warlord

I do my normal deployment, with both Boar units in woods to my left and right. My main castle is on my objective in the center of my deployment. He goes first, and the shadow queen takes the right objective. Glaive snakes go left, and the rest moves up. Pot shots are taken, but nothing significant happens. Still, I can't help but feel out classed, as they are out of unbind range, but are still able to tag me with Spells and a couple ranged attacks. My turn I recover with healing, fist of gork half the witch Aelves, move my right Boar Boys to screen again the shadow queen, the left take my left objective and charge the glaive snakes. They do damage, and survive the return attacks. End of Round one we are tied at 5 a piece.

Round 2, I win priority. I delete the witch aelves and win my battle tactic, retreat my boars on the left to keep my objective, take some pot shots that kill the witch Aelves and win my battle tactic, and heal my Idols a bit. His turn he deletes my boars to the left with his glaive witches, and wins his battle tactic. The shadow queen charges my right Boar screen with 1 stubborn piggies with inspiring presence survives, and the Arrow snakes and medusa take the right objective. This let's him inch ahead in points.

Turn 3 he focuses on my arrow Boys, killing a lot. Rally brings back a couple. Marathi kills the last Boar boy on the left and deals a lot of damage to one of my rogue Idols. His glaive snakes hold the left objective, he holds his and the right, pulling ahead. My turn I rally again, fly my healthiest Idol to fight the medusa, Arrow snakes, and shadow queen. I kill the medusa, winning my battle tactic, and several Arrow snakes. I don't kill all the snakes, so between them and the shadow queen they hold the objective. The shadow queen kills the most wounded Idol. She is at 8 wounds at this point.

Time is called and he wins on point.

Score: 0-3

So I didn't win a single game. However I blame that more on my inexperience and the short time allotted for each game. I am not aware of any game in the tournament that went to completion. I got better with the rules as the tournament progressed. In addition every opponent I had said that I was their favorite opponent and several kept my list to tell their friends about it. There are a few games that I could pulled out a win, but time was not on my side.I am also glad that I faced 3 Meta armies and didn't feel out classed by much. My casting was on par with every army I faced  which surprised my opponents.

So my thoughts on the list. First off... I always picked my battle line to survive as my grand strategy, and my unit of 30 Arrow Boys always survived. Between rally, and the Emerald lifeswarm, the unit can regenerate fairly well. The Emerald lifeswarm and various heals can quickly bring an Idol up to full health as well.

I would always get +1 to save on my rogue Idols, and +1 on hit rolls for my Arrowboys, one way or another. Unleash hell is always brutal, and even more when the unit is cursed. But I found cursed to be hard to pull off.

I had good command points generation with my Wurrgog and  guidance prayer. I found that maximizing command point usage is important. My healing was efficient enough to make the Ossiarch Bonereapers player think that it was over powered. Then I pointed out the healing and unit regen he had, and he admitted that it was a fair point. Stacking casting bonuses allowed me to go toe to toe with Arkhan, Morathi, and Bela'kor,l, which surprised them.

So overall I am happy with how I performed, despite my tournament score. Even though I lost, I earned a lot of respect, and was everyone's favorite opponent. Given more time and familiarity, I believe that I would have done better. I really don't know what I will do if rogue Idols get squated, but they are an intrigal part of the list, especially in this moster forward edition.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gonna try and resurrect this as a Big Waaagh! thread so it doesn’t interfere with the single allegiances? Anyway - any thoughts on the below? Ardboy points are wrong so this is 1995, but a mix of smash and debuff? Gobsprakk knows all KB lore spells but having trouble giving him anything from the universal lore.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (480)*
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Touched by the Waaagh!  
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Mount Trait: Fast 'Un
- Lore of the Weird: Foot of Gork
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Gobsprakk, The Mouth of Mork (300)*
Wurrgog Prophet (150)**
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate
Swampcalla Shaman with Pot-grot (105)**
- Lore of the Swamp: Sneaky Miasma
- Lore of the Swamp: Choking Mist
Orruk Warchanter (115)*
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
5 x Orruk Brutes (160)*
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Ardboys (160)**
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (300)**
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Reinforced x 1
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)**
*Warlord
**Battle Regiment
Spell

Total: 2220 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 131
Drops: 5

What do you think about the new Big waagh ? Is it still worth taking ? is it really possible to mix up ironjawz/bonesplitterz/kruleboyz ?

One warchanter and one wurgog/wardokk seems mandatory together with orruk units that can engage enemy's units as fast as possible to gain waagh points and buffs. 

Edited by cyrus
spelling

2 hours ago, cyrus said:

What do you think about the new Big waagh ? Is it still worth taking ? is it really possible to mix up ironjawz/bonesplitterz/kruleboyz ?

One warchanter and one wurgog/wardokk seems mandatory together with orruk units that can engage enemy's units as fast as possible to gain waagh points and buffs. 

It's still a bit unclear. You get point slower than before, but keep some of the trait of individual faction. I think Kruelboyz would benefit the more from it because you keep their best power (poison) and you could argue that the waaagh ability compensate for lost of clans. Using Gordrack with the crossboy guys for tripple overwatch is also an option. 

Ironjawz, it will depend. Their seem to be some disagreement if Maw Krusha can do tripple +1 to hit. If he can then it mostly invalidate the army wide +1 to hit big waaagh get. And I also find Ironjawz to have very good subfaction.

Bonesplitterz also seem like a pass. I think you want to keep the tireless tracker and exploding 6 ability, and play icebone. of course splashing a wurgog is the obvious choice. 

The big advantage of big waaaagh is really the flexibility. For exemple, taking a Maw Krusha, War Chanter and Wurgog along some brutes, ardboys, gore gruntas and shooting from kruelboyz can make a truly solid and versatile army.

• Thanks 1