AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Im about to build my first set of brutes. Any tips or must knows about (sub) assembly? 
will be building both boss options, a gore hacka and two double hacka brutes for Warcry 

i usually do their chestplate and head seperately before gluing them on the body just so i have an easier time painting the greenskin on the body, if you want to you can even do the back armor plate and shoulderpads separately as well

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

i usually do their chestplate and head seperately before gluing them on the body just so i have an easier time painting the greenskin on the body, if you want to you can even do the back armor plate and shoulderpads separately as well

Yeah. I have my doubts on the head as well. Mostly because I’d like to make a bit more effort than normal on them. 

thansk! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mixed Warclans lists, are they any good?

Recently you see a lot of pure IJ Big Waagh lists, after the book has been out for maybe a year. With it’s release people tried out more Mixing IJ and BS, or putting in a Rogue Idol. But buffed up Ardboys seem to be the go to.

I now am experimenting with Arrowboys a lot. Although not amazing, I can now take part in every phase, while also use their fairly cheap bodies to farm up Waagh Points.

any thoughts on maybe using them in a kunnin rukk, or should unjust stick to our guns and spam ardboys?

Waaaaaagh!

13 hours ago, Keilerei said:

Mixed Warclans lists, are they any good?

Recently you see a lot of pure IJ Big Waagh lists, after the book has been out for maybe a year. With it’s release people tried out more Mixing IJ and BS, or putting in a Rogue Idol. But buffed up Ardboys seem to be the go to.

I now am experimenting with Arrowboys a lot. Although not amazing, I can now take part in every phase, while also use their fairly cheap bodies to farm up Waagh Points.

any thoughts on maybe using them in a kunnin rukk, or should unjust stick to our guns and spam ardboys?

Waaaaaagh!

Arrowboyz are legit inside BW in Kunnin Rukk. The issue is you need to bring support heroes and pay for the Big Boss. I also personally think GoreGruntas are just as good as Ardboyz in BW. I think something like the below is pretty solid. 204 Wound count, you have a great middle of the board presence with 120 wounds from Orruks. 1 unit of Goregruntas can flank and one can counter punch whatever hits your orruks. 

You have 2x Arrowboy units so you can be super aggro with one, for example using the extra move from Kunnin Rukk turn 1, bait opponents into comiting to it and then transfer all your buffs to the other unit. Be careful though, your support heroes are weak and you need the buffs for the arrowboyz to be worth it. That said you can easily get your Wurrgog to like 3+ casting and higher making your buffs easier to get off. You can take Extra Command point or BWV. I like extra command point to burn on Big Waagh Points.

LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Wardokk (80)
UNITS
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
10 x Savage Orruks (120)

10 x Savage Orruks (120)
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
BATTALIONS
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point
TOTAL: 1990/2000

Edited by Warbossironteef
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Arrowboyz are legit inside BW in Kunnin Rukk. The issue is you need to bring support heroes and pay for the Big Boss. I also personally think GoreGruntas are just as good as Ardboyz in BW. I think something like the below is pretty solid. 204 Wound count, you have a great middle of the board presence with 120 wounds from Orruks. 1 unit of Goregruntas can flank and one can counter punch whatever hits your orruks. 

You have 2x Arrowboy units so you can be super aggro with one, for example using the extra move from Kunnin Rukk turn 1, bait opponents into comiting to it and then transfer all your buffs to the other unit. Be careful though, your support heroes are weak and you need the buffs for the arrowboyz to be worth it. That said you can easily get your Wurrgog to like 3+ casting and higher making your buffs easier to get off. You can take Extra Command point or BWV. I like extra command point to burn on Big Waagh Points.

LEADERS
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Savage Big Boss (90)
Wardokk (80)
UNITS
10 x Savage Orruks (120)

10 x Savage Orruks (120)
BATTALIONS
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Extra Command Point
TOTAL: 1990/2000

Thanks for your input @WarbossironteefIreally like the list you are displaying here. I do not really have the models yet to try it out. 

I will try out the following list, the next time the current situation allows to squeeze in a friendly game, although not ideal and very gimmicky I fear to miss the Mighty destroyer ability otherwise.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Fuelled by the Spirits  
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz  
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Artefact: Big Wurrgog Mask  
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Savage Big Boss (90)
- Artefact: Savage Trophy  
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (140)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 178

EDIT: Swap out 5 Ardboys with 10 Savage Orruks with Choppas and Shield, to spread BS buffs more effectively.

Edited by Keilerei
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know most people are aware of this but just as fun PSA 4x Big Stabbas with Big Waagh buffs deal 18-21 wounds on average to a +3 save monster.  They are matchup dependent but even 4 make a great travel companion for 30xOrruks, especially if you see monsters in your meta. 

Have a great day and keeping WAAAGGGHHHINNNNG. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just a FYI, but the Rogue Idol from Forgeworld is now listed as "no longer available" everywhere it is sold out - which is every region I checked besides the US. A lot of people hate the model, but if you do want one, now may be your last chance to get one (unless it's just an error on their website). 

12 minutes ago, Lanoss said:

Or there could be a GW plastic one coming.....?

I hope so!  To be honest, I've run out of impetus on painting for Ironjawz.  I'm up to my ears in Brutes and Ardboyz, I doubt I'll need a third Megaboss or a fourth Warchanter and I have enough Goregruntas to keep me happy for the moment.  I need new models to paint!

9 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I hope so!  To be honest, I've run out of impetus on painting for Ironjawz.  I'm up to my ears in Brutes and Ardboyz, I doubt I'll need a third Megaboss or a fourth Warchanter and I have enough Goregruntas to keep me happy for the moment.  I need new models to paint!

I’ve been toying with the idea of increasing my Brute collection from 30 to 45...

1 minute ago, Lanoss said:

I’ve been toying with the idea of increasing my Brute collection from 30 to 45...

And I thought 25 was more than enough! Are you aiming for a Bossfist? 40 Ardboyz are now beginning to feel rather paltry :) .  Brutes are lovely models and I really enjoyed painting them, but I have always found it hard to motivate myself to paint multiples of the same unit, no matter which army they are for.  Maybe in  a couple of month's time, after painting other stuff, I may feel more energised to add some more.  I have been considering a second Mawcrusher.

Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
20 x Orruk Brutes (520)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ironfist (160)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 175

Lots of wounds. Lots of brutes. 
If anything, I’d drop 5 brutes for Cogs & a CP or Balewind

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
20 x Orruk Brutes (520)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Ironfist (160)
Wounds: 175

Lots of wounds. Lots of brutes. 
If anything, I’d drop 5 brutes for Cogs & a CP or Balewind

As much as I would love to see this I bet battleshock is looking at this list and licking its lips lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently went 3-2 at the Battle of Copenhagen. https://tabletop.to/battle-of-copenhagen-tts

Round 1: 19-1 loss to KO, Round 2: 16-4 Win vs Nighthaunt, Round 3: 20-0 loss vs Fyreslayers, Round 4:  19-1 Win vs Sons of Behemat, Round 5: 18-2 Win vs Beasts of Chaos

I am pretty happy with these result, but I know I can improve. My two losses were my favourite games.

I knew the competition would be tough, but I am still only playing on TTS with models that I already have painted.

Here is my list:

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Bogdakka (120)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
- General
- Command Trait: Bursting with Power
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork, Wrath of Gork
Whack-Smack-a-doo (110)
Orruk Warchanter
- Artefact: Incandescent Rageblade
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Healin 'n Feelin (110)
Orruk Warchanter
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat

Battleline
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 193

Round 1: 19-1 loss to KO

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Zilfin

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (90)
- General
- Command Trait: Collector
- Artefact: Spell in a Bottle
Aetheric Navigator (100)
- Artefact: Staff of Ocular Optimisation
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (190)
- Artefact: Phosphorite Bomblets

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
- 1x Skypikes
- 1x Light Skyhooks
Arkanaut Frigate (220)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Magnificent Omniscope
Arkanaut Frigate (220)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
Arkanaut Frigate (220)
- Main Gun: Heavy Skyhook
- Great Endrinworks: Malefic Skymines

Behemoths
Arkanaut Ironclad (480)
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Battalions
Iron Sky Attack Squadron (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Warp Lightning Vortex (80)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 106

I knew about the Round 1 match up the night before the game. I knew we were both 5 drops, and I knew the scenario was Focal Points. I knew that it did not matter how I deployed, since he was going to shoot my Weirdnob off the table on Turn 1. It is basically impossible to screen out or bubble out 24" range shooting in this scenario.

I knew I had to win the roll off to choose who goes first. I lost the roll. I knew I had to now spend an hour on deployment to base block the Warp Lightning Vortex out of my deployment zone. Ultimately, I couldn't do this because using the models in TTS are super unforgiving and it would have taken five hours, that I just did not have. In the real world, where deploying model sis much easier, I am certain to do this in the future.

He took T1, killed a Warchanter and the Weirdnob. Charged my flanks and pinned me in to my deployment zone. The Arkanaught Company took a lot of casualties in return and the two of the Frigates took some damage.

My T1. 2 Waaagh Points - Game over right there. Though I did a pretty good job pushing back. The two flanks were hit hard, and the Frigates had very low wounds left. The Savage Orruks pushed in to the middle objective and took a dozen wounds off of the Ironclad in their encounter.  I was feelin pretty good.

I needed to win this roll off! Nope, didn't get it.

His T2, He retreated the Frigates out of combat and killed the other Warchter. He put all his shooting in to the Savage Orruks and killed about 20 of them. At this point I did not have many models left.

My T2: 4 Waaagh Points! For the morale of the boyz, I put everything I had in to the Ironclad. It didn't die. I did not have enough left to play the objective game. Game over.

Round 2: 16-4 Win vs Nighthaunt

Spoiler

Allegiance: Nighthaunt
LEADERS
Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Cloaked in Shadow
- Artefact: Pendant of the Fell Wind
UNITS
10 x Chainrasp Horde (80)
5 x Bladegheist Revenants (90)
TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 126

Mega MSU Bladegheists on Focal Points. 18 units of 5 Bladegheists.

I castled up. Gave him first turn. and held vs everything he charged at me. No significant losses. He got Wave of Terror on his first two charges! That was interesting! In my first Hero phase, I Mighty Destroyered and Wrath of Gork'd myself out of combat. Since I was still castled, Gork put 6 MW's in to one of the units! I was at 12 Waagh pts. I took back the side objectives, then won the roll off for the double. I was too far ahead on points after this.

Round 3: 20-0 loss vs Fyreslayers

Spoiler

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders
Auric Runefather (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
Battlesmith (140)
- Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon
Auric Runemaster (120)
- Prayer: Ember Storm
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runesmiter (120)
- Forge Key

Battleline
20 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (400)
- Poleaxes
- Poleaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (140)
- Pairs of Handaxes

Units
3 x Aetherwings (40)
- Allies
3 x Aetherwings (40)
- Allies

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (150)

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 144

The Blades Edge. This was a great game. That bubble of fight first, then fight again meant that I really was not the instigator in this matchup. My pigs couldn't just ram themselves in to either of his hammer/shields. I did not realize how fast one of his units were, with + to run and charge. My opponent played very deliberately. He knew what he was doing with his advance, he used the Aetherwings to grab an objective and even to screen off the backfield from Hand of Gork. The Vulkites were easy, but those triple Runesmiters and that guaranteed Triumph... re-roll hits... of course! 

There was a moment where I had a window to get in to his heros. I used MD to move, then move again, the Warchanter ran his ass off to get that Get'Em beat off then the pigs really broke their legs. I got a 7 on 3D6. This was not enough to get most of the unit in to combat. Sure. I killed one of the heros, but he still had his bubble, and let me tell you about those 2 MW's on 6's to hit! Well, he did a lot, and thank Gork'n'Mork for Laugh at Em, cuz that saved my ass plenty! The naked fire dorfs eventually wheeled themselves around the table and cleaned up. It took a lot of dice, but the game was over.

Without any ranged way to deal with those heroes, its just a game of cat and mouse. I feel that the opponent really has to make a serious mistake for us to win this match up. I would love to hear about what you guys think about this.

That was the end of Day 1 for me. I felt good. Though I really felt like ass because I started playing at 4am 1 win, 2 losses. Great games. Great opponents.

I will post my Day Two in a bit. Thanks for reading.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

Day Two

Round 4:  19-1 Win vs Sons of Behemat

Spoiler

Allegiance: Sons of Behemat
- Tribe: Breaker Tribe (Fierce Loathing: Idiots with Flags)
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant (490)
- General
- Command Trait: Extremely Bitter - Bossy Pants and Clever Clogs
- Artefact: Kingslaughter Cowl
Gatebreaker Mega-Gargant (490)
Kraken-eater Mega-Gargant (490)
3 x Mancrusher Gargants (480)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 141

I had all night to prepare. A big thanks to 1D4chan! I had never faced the Sons before. I was very excited. Forcing the Hand

He gave me first go. I was castled up and got 15 Waaagh pts I knew that if I sent in a unit of Ardboys in to the Kraken Eater then I would be at 16 and be hitting on 2's. I Warchanted them up and Gork'd them across the table. The rest stayed back conservatively. There was still space between us and I knew my pigs were faster than anything he had.

The Ardboys went in. They took 12 wounds off the Kraken Eater who hit back and killed 4 and then put another 3 in to his pants. The rest of the boyz quickly fled. It was at this moment that I knew I that anything I hit, couldn't be alive to hit back. I had to take these things down one by one, and only one in each combat phase.

His turn, he moved on to the objectives. No charges.

My turn, I buffed up the pigs and took down a Gatebreaker. He then charged the pigs with his General and killed most of them. I then fled those pigs away and sent in another buffed unit to take it down. He called game there. It was easy to see where this was going. For fun we played out the turn. His Kraken eater killed a dozen Savage Orruks before they took it down to its last wound. I had a Warchanter nearby for the Inspiring Presence! This was something that I found myself doing often. The Warchanter is their cheerleader. It didn't matter who was killing those Savage Orruks, they could kill 20 of them, that is 40 wounds and the last 10 stuck around. That is value for a CP if you ask me. Even those Heathguard Berserkers took a couple rounds to get through them.

Round 5: 18-2 Win vs Beasts of Chaos

Spoiler

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Allherd

Leaders
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Wild Rampage
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (170)
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm

Battleline
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
6 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (360)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (180)
5 x Centigors (80)

Battalions
Phantasmagoria of Fate (180)

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 131

Border War - He chooses who goes first and it was me.

I was castled up. and got my Waaagh pts He was deployed in a way that meant that if I charged any of his screens, his Enlightened would hit me back re-roling everything. I certainly did not want that and the game played out in a more strategic way than I thought. I kept positioning my units so that I could use MD on those pigs and try to go around him. The Savage Orruks and a Warchanter held on side, the rest I kept in the middle. I had a lot of wounds to go through. A unit of Ardboys was tele'd and I wound up leaving them on the objective rather than doing the charge. I think I got a 9" and I wanted a 12-13" to get in to some Enlightened. Those Ardboys got Devolved 9" right in to the face of his screen, and they didn't live long.

On turn 3 I was able to get the pigs in a position to try a 3D6 charge from 6" away from his screen. I needed to roll big to get at least two models in to his Enlightened. I got an 11. This was ok, but not great. In the end I killed the screen, the Shaggoth and 1 Enlightened. He hit back but did most of his damage to the Ardboys that had also charged the screeen. The Ardboys mostly fell leaving only 1 remaining.

There game came down to maintaining priority. He would roll a 6, I would roll a 6. I win ties. He rolled a 5, I rolled a 5. I win ties. This was important. If he got the double even one time the game would have changed. He would have been able to charge where he wanted and not just be stuck in combat somewhere. Whereas I could just use MD to clean up the combat and charge where I wanted.

Final thoughts:

Bursting with Power was great. That 2nd cast allowed me some utility in the form of Arcane Bolt or Mystic Shield. Shield on the Savage Orruks was quite good. When I was at 30 WP I used D6 for the +2 to cast the D3 MW Arcane Bolt on some stuff. It was fun.

Pigs are the army.

At 24th place, I almost got Best Destruction. It went to 23rd place which is saying a lot about where Destruction sits in the current Meta.

If you want to win a 5 game tourney. You have to beat KO, Tzeentch, Seraphon. I don't see this happening. Best is possibly 4-1

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Trying out this list tomorrow against tzeentch or obr (both shooting heavy builds) not the most competitive build but I want to field all the pigs I have. Maybe you guys have some advice to use this:

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Artefact: Glowin' Tattooz  
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka
Maniak Weirdnob (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Fuelled by the Spirits  
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz  
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Brutal Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Savage Boarboys (260)
- Stikkas

Units
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)
5 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (140)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)
Snaga Rukk (120)

Wounds: 149

• Like 1

Took part in a local 30 person tournament.  3 10-person heats (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) and top 10 play in the finals next Saturday. I played in heat 2 yesterday and went 2-1, playing against IDK for first place in round 3. 

I took the following list:

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait: Mean 'Un
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- Pig-iron Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (130)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 1x Gore Choppas

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Balewind Vortex (40)

Wounds: 159

I don't have enough time to do write up right now but round 1 was major victory over fyreslayers in Better Part of Valor, round 2 was a major victory over Legion of Night in Shifting Objectives and round 3 was a major loss against IDK in Places of Arcane Power. 

I finished third and ended up qualifying for the finals next weekend. If anyone wants me details on the rounds, I can provide that later, but I had a ton of fun and never felt like I was truly out of any game

• Like 3

So I had a bit of time this morning, so I decided to do a write-up on my game 1. Some details are missing, as I'm going from memory but for the most part I got all of the important stuff in. This will be a long post (as I'm not sure how to make his list hidden/collapseable), so read on if you like. I'll try and do write-ups of my other two games this week so keep an eye out for those. 

Anyways, on to game 1!

Round 1: Fyreslayers in Better Part of Valor

His list:

Allegiance: Fyreslayers
- Lodge: Hermdar

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (270)
-
 General
- Command Trait: Warrior Indominate
- Artefact: Tyrant Slayer
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (250)
-
 Runic Iron
- Magmadroth Trait: Coal-heart Ancient
- Prayer: Searing Heat
Auric Runemaster (120)
-
 Prayer: Prayer of Ash
Auric Runesmiter (120)
-
 Forge Key
Battlesmith (140)
-
 Artefact: The Nulsidian Icon

Battleline
-
 Poleaxes
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
-
 Broadaxes
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (140)
-
 War-Picks & Slingshields

Units
5 x Auric Hearthguard (120)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (150)

Runic Fyrewall (40)

Wounds: 134

I won the roll-off to pick sides and I choose to deploy first, as that would allow me to decide who took first turn. My opponent was still relatively new to AoS and fyreslayers, so I wasn’t sure if his list was 100% optimized.

I deployed my brick of 30 savage orruks on my middle objective with the prophet behind them, my brutes were on my right flank with gore gruntas backing them up, ard boyz were on the left flank with a warchanter nearby, maw-krusha in the middle with the other warchanter.

My opponent deployed with a bunch of dwarves that I couldn’t really tell apart, but the key was he only deployed his runefather on magmadroth on his middle objective and he didn’t put anything in reserve to tunnel, so I decided to take first turn.

Turn 1:

I got up to 14 waagh points, buffed my maw krusha and pigs with +1 damage from each warchanter and mighty destroyer moved my maw krusha and brutes. I knew if I committed my maw-krusha on turn 1 against his isolated runefather I would be able to take it out and force his army to deal with my cabbage or he’d run the risk of it just rampaging in his lines.

I spread my units out to grab all three of my objectives with my 30 savage boys, brutes and ard boys. I then moved my pigs up to threaten on turn 2, as I knew I wasn’t going to commit them into 30+ dwarves for no good reason. I moved my maw krusha again to charge into his runefather and positioned my heroes to support the rest of my army moving forward.

I shot the cabbage and did no damage to his runefather and made my charge. The maw krusha easily killed his runefather and took 4 or 5 mortals from the magmadroth blood.

On his turn 1, he got a bunch of buffs off, chanted a prayer but didn’t get a 6. My plan worked and he committed everything toward my maw krusha. He made a mistake and moved his one battleline unit off his right hand objective, moved his runesmiter on over and his big brick of 20 dwarves.

At the end of combat the maw krusha was dead, 5 dwarves were dead and my opponent had claimed his center and left hand objectives. I won priority for turn 2 and took it.

Turn 2:

With my opponent moving his brick of 20 hearthguard over, my opponent had left his battlesmith exposed for me to claim an auxiliary objective. So I buffed the pigs with +1 damage and then mighty destroyer moved them up.

I basically stood pat on all my objectives, put the prophet up on the balewind and plinked a few dwarves off with magic. I made the charge with my pigs and was able to shoot the gap into his battlesmith.

I killed the battlesmith and a few dwarves with my pigs and only lost two in retaliation as he couldn’t pile too many hearthguard in due to them having to maintain control of his center objective.

On my opponents turn 2 he again put a bunch of buffs up and moved his guys around and again didn’t get a 6 on his prayer. He ended up killing the remaining pigs and scored his two objectives again.

Knowing that he couldn’t win the game in its current state he decided to burn his center objective and push forward the next turn.

My opponent won priority and took the turn.

Turn 3:

He again buffed up his guys, succeeded on his prayer but without a 6 and moved up. He pushed his unit of 10 vulkite berzerkers up in front of my 30 guys with the remaining dwarves from the original unit of 20 supporting behind.

He was able to push his magmadroth up to threaten my brutes and did a bunch of shooting onto my units that did not much damage across the board. He decided against charging and passed to me.

I buffed my brutes with +1 damage, again threw out a few mortal wounds with magic and sat tight preparing for the upcoming fight.

I made an error by charging my brutes into the magmadroth but could only get two in due to having to maintain control of my objective. I did 8 damage and lost two in return. I decided not to burn the objective they were holding, which was another mistake.

Turn 4:

My opponent kept priority and decided to make a last ditch effort to try and win the game. His magmadroth slaughtered my remaining brutes but his dwarves weren’t able to do much against my 30 boys and they did minimal damage back.

With him not able to threaten to my remaining two objectives, I’d get the full points for both and he conceded, giving me the major victory.

Thoughts:

My opponent was a great guy and with his still being new to AoS he made a critical error in only deploying his runefather on the center objective and then abandoning his right hand objective turn one in supporting to kill my maw krusha.

I almost gave the game away with feeling too confident in my position with the game state on turn 3 and I shouldn’t have charged my brutes in, especially knowing I was only going to be able to get one or two of them in, as I wanted to maintain control of the objective. I also should’ve burned the objective once I didn’t kill the magmadroth, but it didn’t end up costing me and I still was able to score max points for the round.

Overall, a great opponent and a fun game and a great 1-0 start for the Big Waagh.

• Like 3

Well, with more time today than expected, I was able to write up my game 2 this afternoon on my lunch break. Round 2 saw me against Legion of Night and a win would put me playing for the top spot in round 3. Again, another long post but read on for how the game went. 

Round 2: Legion of Night in Shifting Objectives

His list:

Allegiance: Legion of Night

Leaders
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
-
 General
- Mount: Steed
- Command Trait: Above Suspicion
Necromancer (130)
-
 Artefact: Morbheg's Claw
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140)
-
 Mount: Flying Horror
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Lord Executioner (80)

Battleline
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-
 Ancient Spears
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
-
 Ancient Spears

Units
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Extra Command Point (50)

Wounds: 207

I won the roll-off to pick sides and I choose to deploy first, as I knew I’d be able to out-drop my opponent due to he not having a battalion and so many units. I knew my opponent, as we’ve played before, and knew that his list was all about overwhelming with bodies and then respawning units via graveyards with command points. I also knew that he’s a bit of a slower player, not due to slow play, but he is very deliberate and precise with his movements, checking of rules (number of attacks, rend, save, etc) and so I further knew that in order to win I’d have to score as many points as possible while trying to shut off his gravesites as best I could.

Similar to my game 1, I deployed my brick of 30 savage orruks in middle of with the prophet behind them and the maw krusha slightly to their left. A HUGE piece of LOS blocking terrain in the middle of the board would make capping the center objective difficult but not impossible. Again, my brutes were on my right flank with gore gruntas and a warchanter backing them up, ard boyz were on the left flank with the second warchanter.

Deployment was key, as it usually is with the army, but I also knew that turns would be very limited and so everything was even more precious.

My opponent deployed with his spirit host blob and lord executioner to his right flank, a 40 block of chainrasp horde slightly to the left of the middle backed up with his necromancer and his second block of 40 chainrasp and vampire lord to his left hand flank. His general and both units of skeletons he kept off the board.

Turn 1:

Primary objective was in the center of the board and I got up to 16 waagh points, buffed my maw krusha and ard boyz with +1 damage from each warchanter and mighty destroyer moved my maw krusha and brutes. In my movement phase I moved the everything up further and was able to firmly entrench my brutes and ard boyz on the side objectives. I had to auto run the savage orruks 6 inches in order to get them around the enormous terrain in the middle of the board and claim the center objective.

I charged in my maw krusha to his middle blob of 40 chainrasp and whiffed spectacularly. To be fair, this was the only combat phase all tournament in which this happened to the cabbage and, in hindsight, I can’t be too mad even though it hurt in the moment. I think I killed 4 chainrasp between the maw krusha shooting, mortal wounds and combat. I took zero damage in return.

I spread my units out to also block him from really coming in from too many spots that would be dangerous to me and passed the turn after scoring the max 7 points.

On his turn 1, he cast a couple of spells but nothing that was hugely impactful. He moved his spirit hosts up but couldn’t take the objective from due to the entangling terrain. His left blob of chainrasp horde moved up to engage my gore gruntas. He was outnumbering me on my right hand objective and he didn’t want to pull my brutes so he only got a handful into my gore gruntas after charging. He swung at my megaboss and did two wounds. I didn’t want to activate my gore gruntas and pile in to give him more frontage on my unit, so I swung with my maw krusha first.

Big fatty did what you would expect him to do and smashed off about 17 chainrasp after all saves. He then attacked my gore gruntas and did a couple of wounds. I then piled the pigs in and did about 10 wounds with 4 guys attacking after pile-ins.

My opponent used a CP for inspiring presence, as he was able to rez a few chainrasp models in the hero phase and daisy chain them onto the primary objective to take it from me and he scored 5 points.

The primary objective jumped to my right hand objective and I won priority. I took the turn.

Turn 2:

On my turn 2 I buffed my ard boyz and brutes with +1 damage. I used MD on the cabbage and killed all but 1 chainrasp horde he was engaged with. Same thing with the pigs and I’m beginning to whittle down two units.  

The prophet summoned the balewind and I tried to use magic to pop the last chainrasp engaged with the maw krusha. I cast arcane bolt and my opponent rolled a 6 to negate the wound. We were playing in the realm of fire so I cast fireball and my opponent rolled another 6 to negate the wound. Maw krusha is now stuck and not able to move.

My brutes moved up around the chainrasp horde in an effort to engage his vampire lord and kill it with the thought being to remove the death save from this side of the board as well as taking away a source of resurrecting a unit.

In the middle my savage orruks had charged into his single remaining chainrasp engaged with the maw krusha and tagged his spirit host unti so it couldn’t dog pile with the 40 skeletons onto the ard boyz.

Brutes rolled high enough to be able to engage his vampire lord and my maw krusha failed to yell off the last chainrasp. I started combat with my brutes and smashed his vampire lord off the table and took out a handful of chainrasp.

His chainrasp swung at my megaboss and did nothing again. Pigs swung and took out a big number of chainrasp now that they didn’t have a death save. Megaboss murdered the single chainrasp.

His spirit hosts piled into my savage orruks but could only get 2 models into range from me just barely tagging the unit. He did 3 mortal wounds after swinging and my savage orruks ended up killing two bases.

I moved the ard boyz back as far as I could to maintain control of the left-hand objective, as I was hoping the entangling terrain would be my friend again.

I scored 7 points again and passed the turn.

On my opponents turn 2 he had an uneventful hero phase. He continued to keep his general off the board to deny me an auxillary objective as well as wanting to bring him on the next turn and potentially bring a destroyed unit back from one of the gravesites and either pin my unit in place or sneak an objective based on body count.

He moved his skeletons up towards my ard boyz, moved his other skeletons towards my brutes and that was it. The entangling terrain did not keep his skeletons off my ard boyz this time and after combat the ard boyz were gone, his remaining chainrasp horde was gone, my brutes took about 15 skeletons on my right hand flank and the savage orruks continued their assault on the spirit hosts, killing another 3 bases.

My opponent scored another 5 points and the primary objective didn’t move. My opponent won priority for turn 3 but we were down to 20 minutes remaining in the 2.5 hour round.  

Turn 3:

We talked through turn 3, as we didn’t have enough time for both of us to get a turn. We agreed that I’d kill his necromance now that my maw krusha was free. He was firmly entrenched on my left hand objective and the primary objective on my right flank.

My opponent brought his general in, but I had positioned my army in such a way that he couldn’t utilize his gravesites that would impact the board.

We agreed that my opponent wouldn’t be able to take the middle objective from me. So with my opponent scoring another 5 points in his turn 3 and we agreed I’d maintain the middle objective to score 2 more points and that lead to me taking a 16-15 win on points.

Thoughts:

My opponent was a great guy but his army doesn’t play in a way he’ll finish many games. I knew it would be hard to deal with all his bodies (he has over 200 wounds) and him failing the charge into my ard boyz on turn 2 due to entangling terrain probably won me the game, as it allowed me to score the max points two turns in a row.

Tagging his spirit hosts with my savage orruks so they were locked down in turn 2 was also clutch, as it prevented their movement so they were never able to push for the middle objective. Preventing him from really using his gravesites effectively also was a major boon, as I didn’t have to deal with but a few chainrasp that had been resurrected in his turn 1.

Overall, a great opponent and another fun game and 2-0 had the Big Waagh playing the for first in round 3 against IDK

• Like 2