AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Anybody got any advice for IJ going into Bonereapers? Been playing the book since it dropped and have had the most fun I’ve had playing in years, every game has been enjoyable, not felt up against it yet and I’ve got a solid win rate with them despite playing in a very competitive local meta. The only match up I despise right now is Bonereapers, if I’m not running a Mawkrusha with the -3 rend artefact I bounce off of everything and anything I touch. Mortek backed up by Katakros just stand staunch and blend whatever touches them and I’m yet to find an effective way of dealing with them, IJ smash well but Mortek happily take the beating. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jackroks981 said:

Anybody got any advice for IJ going into Bonereapers? Been playing the book since it dropped and have had the most fun I’ve had playing in years, every game has been enjoyable, not felt up against it yet and I’ve got a solid win rate with them despite playing in a very competitive local meta. The only match up I despise right now is Bonereapers, if I’m not running a Mawkrusha with the -3 rend artefact I bounce off of everything and anything I touch. Mortek backed up by Katakros just stand staunch and blend whatever touches them and I’m yet to find an effective way of dealing with them, IJ smash well but Mortek happily take the beating. 

Are you fully committed to playing pure IJ?

20 hours ago, Jackroks981 said:

As the above poster asked, playing against them can be difficult since IJ is so combat phase heavy. Getting the most out of your MDs where shield wall and their bonuses can’t be applied is helpful. Moving over to the Big Waaagh side of things you could pepper in arrowboyz to do damage outside of that phase and a wurgogg prophet for some spell casting. I own both armies and will often play my son, who uses my bone reapers, and it’s a tough game but I do eke out some wins. I’ve definitely had more success moving towards a big waaagh list even if it’s pure IJ just for the 6+ FNP to match theirs, and more consistent hitting when I get to the 2/2 profile. Arrowboyz will decimate a harvester and 1 box gets you a full 20 guys. 
last list I played him was something like 

footboss 2 chanters wardokk and shaman

ironfist with 2 units brutes 2 units (10) ardboyz and 6 pigs and 20 arrowboyz
having double MD AND a shooting phase really opened things up. Buffed brutes into stalkers is a decent match up as well. I blended a unit turn 2 got the double turn and killed all but one turn 3 which took away that threat

• Like 1

@Tezia99 @Jackroks981 I agree with Tezia99's sentiments. Big Waaagh seems like a better option, and the Wurrgog Prophet's spell (with the casting bonuses available in Big Waaagh) can take out large chunks of Mortek Guard in one go. Like Tez said, arrowboys give you an answer to Gothizzar Harvesters if your opponent brings those.  They aren't very good at taking out Mortek though (at least in Katakros lists). Even regular Savage Orruks can do good work tarpitting Mortek Guard. They can be buffed up as high as a 3+ save in melee with 2 wounds apiece and a 6+ shrug, so while they won't really do much damage to the Mortek Guard they can at least hold the line for a while.

Another thing worth considering is a Rogue Idol. While the Megaboss on Maw Krusha with the -3 rend artefact is going to do more damage, the Rogue Idol can still do plenty of work and can be incredibly tanky. It can be buffed to an effective 1+ save rerolling 1s with a 5+ mw shrug allowing it to tank Mortek Guard basically forever. Even rend 2 damage has a tough time getting through it. Breath of Gorkamorka allows it to get wherever it needs to go, and it can still get +1 damage from the Warchanter (not to mention 3d6 charge and/or Fixin Beat).

I think a Big Waaagh list with a unit of 30 Savage Orruks or Arrowboys, a Wurrgog Prophet, a Wardokk, a Rogue Idol and the rest Ironjawz could be quite good against OBR.

I really think Boarboy Maniaks in Big Waaaghh might be a sleeper unit. They are weak to shooting, but with one spell can fly and move 24 inches. If you wait to get both big waggh bonuses and get a charge off below is their average dmg output (without any other buffs or spells):

10x Maniaks (280) on Charge - 42 wounds generated

15x Maniaks (420) on charge - 62 wounds generated 

You could easily screen with 30 savages and fly them over or first turn suicide them in to break your opponents line. Goregruntas are great, especially in Ironfist, but you could take both. It leverages the strengths of both armies, one being able to get Warchanter buff and Mighty Destroyers, the other getting the Bonesplitter buffs.

• Like 1

My experience with 10 boarboyz is that they rarely all get to make their attacks due to space. Dunno if 15 would be as efficient as maths suggests in many actual games for that reason. 

I bring the non-maniak boarboyz for the 2” spears that also get the charge bonus (so can roll them together with tusks & hooves at 2/2 hit/wound on turn 2), and extra survivability after that charge - they’re also a prime candidate for save-buffing and make an excellent and cheap tarpit.

Also usefully a tarpit that sits BEHIND the opponent, often blocking them from their own deployment zone’s objective and sometimes trapping them between boars and regular boyz while arrows plink away at them. 

hey guys looking for some advice on expanding my ironjawz to a playable 2000pts list . im not too bothered about winning tbh more about just causing mayhem and using what i already have. so far i have

orruk wierdnob shaman - 120pts

warchanter- 110pts

25 ardboys-500pts

3 gore gruntas- 160pts

5 brutes-130pts

ironskulls boys- 80pts

total - 1100

i haven't accounted for battalion costs etc but i like running an ironfist , and sometimes a wierdfist and usually go bloodtoofs because they are already painted red and that just makes sense 

thanks in advance

35 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I do really like the model, I have an odd price to paint ratio that I try to hit though, I think I might wait and hope something interesting comes out for Christmas

Just like to say that, for me, it is one of the models I have had the most fun and satifaction in painting.  Not sure what value you can put on that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Just like to say that, for me, it is one of the models I have had the most fun and satifaction in painting.  Not sure what value you can put on that.

A high value, for example I would paint either stonehorn beast riders or bloodthirsters forever if I could afford it. Looks like I'm getting a big cabbage looking monster then 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Duncan said:

A high value, for example I would paint either stonehorn beast riders or bloodthirsters forever if I could afford it. Looks like I'm getting a big cabbage looking monster then 

I hope it brings you as much joy to paint and play as it has me.  Also, once I had painted it I discovered that my army was complete in a way that I hadn't realised before, despite having over 2000 points painted already. Of all my centrepiece models, this feels the most centrepieced (if that's a word :) ).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a tournament last weekend with my big wagggh bonesplitterz. Went 2-1, losing the last game to my arch nemesis of our local tournament scene.

Prophet master of the weird, morks boney bits

Prophet laser mask

Wardok

Wardok

Wardok

Big boss

30 spears

20 spears

20 arrows

20 arrows

5 boars

Kunnin ruk

Geminids.

Round 1 vs SoB in shifting objectives was a pretty easy win. Maxed out on points, denied my opponent any points. He went double kraken, gatesmasher, 3 mancrushers. The 30 spears fully buffed basically tanked his whole army for as long as I needed to kill all but 1 mega and score out on him.

Round 2 was against a full dwarf CoS army with gotrek in tow. I forget the mission name but I basically just fist of gork'd a unit with +5 to cast every turn. 30 ironbreakers and then 20 hammerers became sad. 30 spears tied up gotrek with all the armor buffs and morale passes. Maxed points again.

Round 3 against OBR running big K, Arkhan, 10 mortek and 2x15 deathriders. Was focal points. My opponent tied me up in my deployment basically the whole game bringing 2 horses back to each unit each turn. This is a hard matchup since I am really good at playing hordes and really good at killing monsters but really bad at killing elite multi wound models with a 3+ save. Ended up being 11 to 8. I had a chance to win up the game with a breath of gorkamorka cast on a 12 but Arkhan got a 13 to deny me the win in the end.

Ended up 3rd place with DoK and OBR taking 1st/2nd.

2 hours ago, TALegion said:

@Belmail Out of curiosity, how did the deathriders get up to a 3+ save? They're 4+ normally, and Petrifex no longer gives +1 to saves (it was changed in July to give rerolls of 1 instead, per the errata). I haven't played during covid and can't remember another OBR option for armor save buffs

Katakos, his silly command trait gives +1 save to all Bone reapers in 36".

• Like 1

How does this look as a first draft big waaagh list to aim at building towards?

MBoMK

Warchanter x2

Wardokk

10 Ardboys x2

6 Gore-gruntas

30 Arrowboys

Ironfist

2000 points on the dot and I like that I can build up to it with not many purchases due to fully utilizing 2 start collecting boxes.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything obvious as far as flaws or ways to streamline.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Voand said:

How does this look as a first draft big waaagh list to aim at building towards?

MBoMK

Warchanter x2

Wardokk

10 Ardboys x2

6 Gore-gruntas

30 Arrowboys

Ironfist

2000 points on the dot and I like that I can build up to it with not many purchases due to fully utilizing 2 start collecting boxes.

I'm just not sure if I'm missing anything obvious as far as flaws or ways to streamline.

That actually looks pretty strong - the only thing I would consider adding is a weirdnob for teleportation shenanigans. Units of 6 gruntas hit hard, especially with an ironfist and warchanter, big arrowboyz units punch pretty hard, and the krusha provides for a big dangerous beatstick.

• Like 1

Hey guys. 

Is it worth to buy a megaboss on foot? I have a unopened box of megaboss on mawkrusha and thinking about buying an on-foot one. 

How does he play on the table? 

Another question is whether i build a box of savage orruks as arrowboys or spears.

I like being able to shoot as well as fight in melee. But spears are great as screening as i understand. I have 25 ardboys, 3 gore-gruntas and 5 brutes as my troops now. So what would compliment it better -  20 spears or bows?

Edited by Ratling

On 11/30/2020 at 7:10 PM, Ratling said:

Hey guys. 

Is it worth to buy a megaboss on foot? I have a unopened box of megaboss on mawkrusha and thinking about buying an on-foot one. 

How does he play on the table? 

Another question is whether i build a box of savage orruks as arrowboys or spears.

I like being able to shoot as well as fight in melee. But spears are great as screening as i understand. I have 25 ardboys, 3 gore-gruntas and 5 brutes as my troops now. So what would compliment it better -  20 spears or bows?

This is just an opinion but I would go with bows as that brings something different to the table, your ironjawz already provide the battleline and tough infantry, so giving some ranged support would make sense.

The MB on foot is as expected a Megaboss for those times you can't or wont invest in a Krusha. A MB is required for Waaagh and if running ironjawz allegiance especially, the +1 hit command can be useful sometimes. He is a decent pick when you want 6 gruntas and him insteadd of a Krusha and there is surely a solid case for that choice at times and what each provide. That said he rarely does much for me at least, mostly because he is soooo slow, I'd wish for a MB on Grunta for some flexibility there.

• Like 2

Hello all. I'm wondering if you could help me with a conversion idea? I play Gitz and have a bunch of third party stone golems I haven't known what to do with.

However earlier this evening I realized I could make them mini Rogue Idols and use them as Stone Trolls! Now Ideally I'd like to find bits to replicate the wooden facemask look of the Idol.

Best idea I've come up with is the Ardboy shields pictured. So:

1: Any ideas for bits that better match the Idol's mask?

2: Are shields typically taken on the Ardboys? (wondering how easy they'll be to find amongst Big Waaagh! players)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

black_orcs_shield_2_large.jpg

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

Hello all. I'm wondering if you could help me with a conversion idea? I play Gitz and have a bunch of third party stone golems I haven't known what to do with.

However earlier this evening I realized I could make them mini Rogue Idols and use them as Stone Trolls! Now Ideally I'd like to find bits to replicate the wooden facemask look of the Idol.

Best idea I've come up with is the Ardboy shields pictured. So:

1: Any ideas for bits that better match the Idol's mask?

2: Are shields typically taken on the Ardboys? (wondering how easy they'll be to find amongst Big Waaagh! players)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

black_orcs_shield_2_large.jpg

Try building them from lollipop sticks?  They have a bit of texture and being a bit crude would be fine.

• Like 1