AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

Have tried running the below in a few games and it has done reasonbly well. Swapping the Pigs our for Brutes cost me speed but kept the body count up for Ere'we'go. The brutes have actually performed remarkably well as 'super subs' in the mid game once everyone is a bit closer to each other.

Seraphon is still a terrible matchup - still not sure what to do about that one. Changehost is manageable thanks for teleport and Orruks coming back forcing them to cover their backline. Being 1960 (so keeping 5 Ard boys and not upgrading to Brutes) almost guarentees the triump as well, all of which are great for Warclans.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Bursting with Power
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Artefact: Everspring Diadem
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Wardokk (80)
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
- 1x Gorkamorka Glyph Bearers
15 x Orruk Ardboys (300)
- 2x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)
- 1x Gorkamorka Banner Bearers
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (100)
Ardfist (120)
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

Edited by VonSmall

@Arkahn - spread out the brutes do well late game. They are also a wall for chargers to hit early on which you can auto pass battleshock on. 

The MightyD from Ironfist (which can include a run) really helps units get around quickly. The teleport is also great. There’s also green puke for the extra D6” if you really need it. 

KO and other alpha strike armies will always be a struggle as all my characters are ‘support characters’ 

• Thanks 1

Tried a game today against what seemed like a really bad matchup on paper. We were playing Knife's Edge. The lists (roughly):

Spoiler

2x Warchanter (1 fixin beat, 1 get em beat)

Weirdnob Shaman (Hand, Master of the Weird, Shamanic Skullcape)

Ironfist: 4x10 Brutes (dual choppas setup), 3 Gore Gruntas

30 Savage Orruks (stikkas)

vs.

Coalesced Seraphon - Thunder Lizard

Kroak

2 Skink Starpriest

3x30 Skinks

2x10 Skinks

3 Bastiladons

Coalesced Seraphon seems brutal to play against, but the game was actually really good. I made some errors and rolled pretty poorly. I had a chance on turn 1 to get off the Hand + Get 'Em combo and kill a lot of Skinks but rolled snake-eyes on the casting roll. I even had arcane terrain! Then I got double turned and his shooting whittled down my army. I got off the combo on bottom 2 and took a VP lead, but he was able to slowly wear me down. The server crapped out during my double turn at top of 4 but barring some really good rolls I think he was going to edge me out. There was some chance of a draw.

Given the difficulty of the matchup the list definitely seemed strong. I'm wondering about a different build though, something like:

2x Warchanter (1 fixin beat, 1 get em beat)

Weirdnob Shaman (hand, master of the weird or maybe dead kunnin', shamanic skullcape)

Wardokk (breath of gorkamorka, mork's boney bitz)

Ironfist: 2x10 Brutes, 6 Gore Gruntas

30 Savage Orruks (stikkas)

10 Savage Boar Boy Maniaks

The drop count is higher but the list is a lot faster and still packs a big punch with two ways of getting a threat to the enemy on turn 1 even if you have to go first.

7 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Got a game in with the alternate list in the previous post. It seemed very strong indeed with good staying power and pretty reliable turn 1 threats.

I'm planning to play kind of the same list as you after I made my choice to give up my MK for a while

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Command Trait: Fuelled by the Spirits
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Breath of Gorkamorka

Battleline
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Jagged Gore-hackas
10 x Orruk Ardboys (200)

Units
10 x Savage Boarboy Maniaks (280)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 194

I like the idea of brutes behind savage orruks.

The Wardokk can turn savage into a solid anvil or maniak boarboyz into a very good tarpit ! 

From the GHB20 I gave up the 12.1" TP Ironfist gruntas, but I miss it too much ! 

What do you think about this list compare to yours ? 

13 hours ago, Arkahn said:

I like the idea of brutes behind savage orruks.

The Wardokk can turn savage into a solid anvil or maniak boarboyz into a very good tarpit ! 

From the GHB20 I gave up the 12.1" TP Ironfist gruntas, but I miss it too much ! 

What do you think about this list compare to yours ? 

I'm not really sure my opinion counts for much as I've gotten all of two games in with Orruk Warclans so far. I'd be hesitant to drop a Warchanter as they make such a big difference to the overall damage output. 

I wouldn't count on boars working as a tarpit. Really the key problem that I see with throwing units forward at the beginning is that all the heroes are super slow and thus you'll be losing a lot to battleshock as you won't be in range of inspiring presence. This problem has left me wondering about a maniak weirdnob. 

I've also ended up using the savage orruks mainly to hold ground while I throw my damage dealers at the enemy. I've been wondering if they might be better as arrowboys who can help clear out screens and otherwise contribute while taking up space. 

I'm playing in a 2 day tourney in September and have never run a rogue idol so sculpted one up for myself, he's almost finished printing so looking forward to getting some paint on it this weekend 😀 

The list I'm planning to take is 

Wardokk (80)
Wardokk (80)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
10 x Orruk Brutes (260)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
20 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (240)
Rogue Idol (420)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 205

I've not tested it yet, not sure how I'll get on with the lack of tech especially with only brutish kunning but I'm hoping the bodies, multiple threats and good old 3+ savage orruks  will make up for it.

1775479243_Screenshot2020-08-1521_47_36.png.625d1b84825d7b1171766b1cd413747d.png20200820_205722.jpg.8401e90d1697f176155422978f0a52d4.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I'd be hesitant to drop a Warchanter as they make such a big difference to the overall damage output. 

In most of my BW list I want 2 warchanters if I run 2+ IJ threats units and/or if I need more waaagh points. 

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I wouldn't count on boars working as a tarpit. Really the key problem that I see with throwing units forward at the beginning is that all the heroes are super slow and thus you'll be losing a lot to battleshock as you won't be in range of inspiring presence. This problem has left me wondering about a maniak weirdnob. 

I'm not counting on it too, it's just another option. And I almost never throw my threats during the first turn. Savage and brutes can hold few turns before I found the right opportunity to TP some gruntas or to send some flying maniak ! 

Edited by Arkahn

I'm just getting into AOS.  I decided to go with Ironjawz.  I built my Start Collecting box which puts me at 470 points if I'm not mistaken.  I ordered one set of brutes which could put me at 600 pts (and am tempted to grab the Mogork's Krushas models as I find they look quite nice, there aren't many IJ models and maybe I could squeeze them in somewhere for AOS).  The other local AOS players are also still rather new to the game for the most part but they are experienced 40k players.  They're playing 500 points games but the plan on going up to 750 points soon (and eventually 1k+ obviously).

I'll want the other models for sure (especially the Maw-krusher) but for right now, would you suggest that I swap out 5 ardboys for the 5 brutes if I play 500 points?  What about 750 points, what models would you recommend I get next?  I read mixed reviews concerning the shaman.  The Megaboss on foot looks like a really cool model but I think that people seem to say that he isn't very good.

If it helps and makes any difference, the other local players play those:

1- Fyreslayers (I don't know them too well, I saw two priests, a forge,  some other dwarven infantry and magmadroth he'll use once he has more points)

2- Beastclaw Raiders (the player mostly focuses on the beasts and charges in hard)

3- Seraphon (coalesced with the sort of large raptor and the smaller ones).  This person also apparently has Nurgle, Storcast and a 4th I forget.

4- Slaves to Darkness (start collecting box, he has Archaon but can't play him at those points yet)

5- Stormcast Eternal (the guy mostly wants to field 6x of a unit that flies, I forget the name).

6- I think I've been told someone has Khorne, one has kharadron and I forget what else.

Overall, Fyreslayers, Beastclaw Raiders and Seraphons is what I'm most likely to play against first.  I know Fyreslayers can't block spells so I thought shaman would be a good idea.  Beastclaw Raiders will charge me hard so I'm not sure how I should handle that one.  I know very little about Seraphon, I only saw him getting his army almost all wiped by Fyreslayers during their game but he still won because he gained more points from having more units for objective points (and mobility).

Edited by NeoSoul

I've been focusing in on warclans a lot over the past week or so and am trying to hone in on exactly when to go for Big Waaagh vs faction specific.

In terms of broad design, it seems that in the context of Big Waaagh:

• Bonesplitterz offers bulk bodies, peak defensive efficiency, speed (boars) and an option for ranged support
  • Ironjawz offers rend, a wicked monster, peak damage efficiency, and teleportation

Most commonly in BW lists I see a heavy focus on one faction usually with a smaller component from the second. Usually it's mostly IJ with some savages for bodies/waaagh points. Some lists are split more evenly. Clearly if you want to sample from both sides you need to go BW.

But what if you are going solely IJ or solely BS? When to pick BW vs. IJ/BS?

It seems to me that IJ benefits less from BW as it's pretty easy to hit on 2's in IJ already. So with BW you get +1 to wound later on, the 6+ shrug and access to additional casting/unbinding bonuses but you lose Mighty Destroyers, subfactions, and Smashing and Bashing. That's a lot to give up.

BS really benefits from the +1h/+1w from BW, the +1 charge, and the extra d6 move when damaged plus access to the casting/unbinding bonuses. You give up subfactions, Tireless Trackers and Monster Hunters. In this case it seems like BW is probably a better deal most of the time.

So I wonder, when do you guys like to use the BS package over BW?

I imagine using a subfaction would be a main motivation. I wonder if Bonegrinz or Drakkfoot could be reasonable metagame choices.

Drakkfoot - giving up the CT, CA, and artefact are not exciting at all (or are actively bad), but the ability to ignore damage negation is a pretty big deal:

• Teclis/Light of Hysh
  • Kroak
  • Phoenixes/Phoenix Guard
  • Hearthguard
  • DoK
  • Nurgle
  • To a lesser extent: Big Waaagh, Bonesplitters, all Death

Ignoring ethereal is pretty meh as it doesn't even work on stuff like Light of Eltharion or Alarith stonestance and BS lacks rend anyway, but there are a lot of very popular armies out there that really rely on ward saves. They also tend to be matchups that could otherwise be tricky for BS, and Drakkfoot should be a huge advantage. 

Bonegrinz also seem kinda interesting to me. Forcing enemies to charge and preventing retreat has really serious power potential especially for a faction that can put so much defensive efficiency on the board. The more the meta shift towards ranged units, the more powerful this subfaction becomes. The new set of battleplans also seem quite friendly to this ability.

What do you guys think?

On 8/28/2020 at 12:50 AM, swarmofseals said:

On a different topic, anyone know of any good wardokk proxies out there?

Yeah, the wardokk model is not so great. But I think that somehow is not that bad. In my opinion It has some sort of wierd features. Probably the most strange one is this sort of fur in the staff that is not so sure what it is. Also the fact that is fine cast it doesn't help. But it has some cool features.

When I look at the art  from the old bonesplitterz battle-tome and some other random art of the wardokk  that I've found in some place that i cannot recall make me think that is some sort of magic green smoke full of whaagh energy that emanates from the skull of the staff.

wardokk.jpg.8eff03831edca379e569e3318739c548.jpg

The execution is not so good but i guess that this idea in hands of a proper painter might make some justice to this model. There is not so much reference of this model out there and the one that you can find is kinda meh.

1 hour ago, OrcaLullaby said:

Yeah, the wardokk model is not so great. But I think that somehow is not that bad. In my opinion It has some sort of wierd features. Probably the most strange one is this sort of fur in the staff that is not so sure what it is. Also the fact that is fine cast it doesn't help. But it has some cool features.

When I look at the art  from the old bonesplitterz battle-tome and some other random art of the wardokk  that I've found in some place that i cannot recall make me think that is some sort of magic green smoke full of whaagh energy that emanates from the skull of the staff.

wardokk.jpg.8eff03831edca379e569e3318739c548.jpg

The execution is not so good but i guess that this idea in hands of a proper painter might make some justice to this model. There is not so much reference of this model out there and the one that you can find is kinda meh.

I don't mind the model at all, and yours look quite nice! I mostly like there to be a little variation, and a lot of my lists have 3-4 wardokks... so having that many copies of the same hero model takes something away from the visual impact if the army, imo.

34 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I don't mind the model at all, and yours look quite nice! I mostly like there to be a little variation, and a lot of my lists have 3-4 wardokks... so having that many copies of the same hero model takes something away from the visual impact if the army, imo.

I see. Then, besides of the regular orukk shaman that hudben pointed, I guess that another place to look for variation is the old range of savage orcs. There got some shamans, however is already a quite old range.

20190821_193610.jpg

wfb-orcs-savage-orc-shamans.jpg

Edited by OrcaLullaby
  • Like 1