AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

7 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

I mean I don't need to grasp at straws, I'd proven my point that 6" pile ins are already a  part of Activation Wars with Tyrants of Blood. You might want to check the results for London GT too, that was recently won with a heap of Sisters of Slaughter.

If you want another example, the Squigalanche Battalion gives the whole army a 6" pile in. Ben Johnson went 4-1 with that, and so did James Chalmers, so it's no joke. 

As I said, I overlooked 6” pile-ins, and some are very real, which you have to keep in mind when doing this. It is very few armies with actually threatning units that are able to do so though.

7 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

However you will not be ignoring things like Fyreslayers fighting first and then fighting again on their turn, blasting you off the table before you'll get a chance to react. They are still activating multiple times before you get to activate at all, I.e. Activation Wars. 

Another one you wouldn't ignore is Alvagr Rune Tokens: when they charge you, they can activate against you again and again before you get to activate at all, I.e. Activation Wars 

So it really is a huge exaggeration to say you can "effectively ignore the whole activation  wars". Piling in from outside of 3" is already around, and it's not the end of Activation Wars, it's part of it.

Why are these a concern? The units cant be chosen to be activated, as they havent charged and arent within 3” until you have activated. Thats what I mean by ignoring the activation wars - Its irrelevant if you fight last due to Locus of Diversion etc, or if they always fight first. The enemy unit cant fight you (unless 6” pile-in) since they arent in combat before you have attacked with your Maw Krusha.

5 hours ago, Kasper said:

As I said, I overlooked 6” pile-ins, and some are very real, which you have to keep in mind when doing this. It is very few armies with actually threatning units that are able to do so though.

Why are these a concern? The units cant be chosen to be activated, as they havent charged and arent within 3” until you have activated. Thats what I mean by ignoring the activation wars - Its irrelevant if you fight last due to Locus of Diversion etc, or if they always fight first. The enemy unit cant fight you (unless 6” pile-in) since they arent in combat before you have attacked with your Maw Krusha.

In fact tagging the Mawcrusher with Locus means he can't be targeted afterwards by anything.

37 minutes ago, whispersofblood said:

In fact tagging the Mawcrusher with Locus means he can't be targeted afterwards by anything.

Nope, the FAQ says that the keeper could now attack in your opponents "end of the phase" which is after your "end of the phase"

What it would mean is that the keeper can't activate it's CA to pile in twice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Nope, the FAQ says that the keeper could now attack in your opponents "end of the phase" which is after your "end of the phase"

What it would mean is that the keeper can't activate it's CA to pile in twice.

Ah I hadn't remembered the FAQ fully to apply to this particular situation, since itis mechanics hadn't come up before. The combo requires charging, therefore it has to the Mawcrushers turn, meaning that the enemy could pile-in. 

Hi guys.

I've been fiddling around with Ironjawz for a while, but decided to invest in some naked greenskinz too.

I haven't played a Big Waaagh game yet, but like the mechanichs on paper.

The idea is to have ranged firepower (boar shaman + archers), board presence and some mobility (double acess to Mighty Destroyers).

I like all the Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz heroes, and i still don't know how many Warchanters such a list should have or if I have to trop something to fit in a Weirdnob Shaman fore teleport.

What do you think about this list?

Comments more than welcome

big1.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuinacridoneGold said:

What do you think about this list?

I think it's brilliant. As an ironjawz and big Waaagh player I will say that big Waaagh doesn't really need the 2 MD unless that's what you like obviously. If you want the bodies I would bump that unit of ardboys to 20, remove the second one, scrap the ironfist and chuck in 30 savage orruks. Withe the 40pts left ido go for balewind vortex. Your Wurrgog will put serious fear into anything with bodies on the table. Or you could go for the rogue idol. Don't under estimate how very powerful the bonesplitterz spell lore is. If found that the more targets I have for them the better I do. Especially the rogue idol because he can be buffed with the spells and then also get +1 damage from the warchanter. Him, the Wurrgog, and the 6 pigs are often my MVPs. But to be honest your list is fine like it is, but I would consider removing the ironfist (unless you are worried about drops, but big Waaagh starts slow, unlike pure ironjawz). Cheers bro, praise Gork (or Mork) for a new convert! 

Edited by Chase
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chase said:

I think it's brilliant. As an ironjawz and big Waaagh player I will say that big Waaagh doesn't really need the 2 MD unless that's what you like obviously. If you want the bodies I would bump that unit of ardboys to 20, remove the second one, scrap the ironfist and chuck in 30 savage orruks. Withe the 40pts left ido go for balewind vortex. Your Wurrgog will put serious fear into anything with bodies on the table. Or you could go for the rogue idol. Don't under estimate how very powerful the bonesplitterz spell lore is. If found that the more targets I have for them the better I do. Especially the rogue idol because he can be buffed with the spells and then also get +1 damage from the warchanter. Him, the Wurrgog, and the 6 pigs are often my MVPs. But to be honest your list is fine like it is, but I would consider removing the ironfist (unless you are worried about drops, but big Waaagh starts slow, unlike pure ironjawz). Cheers bro, praise Gork (or Mork) for a new convert! 

Thank you!

I still don't have the Idol or that many naked orcs, but they are at the top of my wishlist. 

I liked the idea of having double Mighty Destroyers and a Warchanter(s) working with the arboys and gruntas. I think both units can be very scary with warchanter buff, MD movements and turn 2/3 Big Waaaghh buffs, and love them in Ironjawz.

I tried to create a balanced list where everything is covered (bodies, hammers, casters, whatevers), relying on the waaagh buffs to pump everything up and thus avoid the 'jack of all trades master of none' effect.

Do you think it requires further optimization? Any suggestion on artifacts, spell lore etc? What is the best weapon loadout for melee savage orcs? I'm totally new to the whole bonesplitterz side of the army. 

1 hour ago, QuinacridoneGold said:

relying on the waaagh

Unless it's a last ditch effort it's almost never worth it. Army wide +1 hit and wound with Ironjawz is legitimately amazing and just too good to give up for even a turn. I never give that up unless I have to go for broke to pull off a win

Any suggestion on artifacts, spell lore etc?

Well the only thing you have to buff with spells is your arrows so just pump it all into them. +1 to save is good, double movement is good. Give the Wurrgog the boney bits artifact for +1 cast. Your megaboss build is good. Mid-game when he has +1 hit/wound - 3 rend +1 damage he's a blender

best weapon loadout for melee savage orcs?

No question: Stikkas in units of 30

Also I think ardboys as 20 and 10 is better. Give you a better target for +1 damage. Could even try 20/5/5 for some home field objectives or screen your wizards

Edited by Chase

5 hours ago, Chase said:

Unless it's a last ditch effort it's almost never worth it. Army wide +1 hit and wound with Ironjawz is legitimately amazing and just too good to give up for even a turn. I never give that up unless I have to go for broke to pull off a win

I was just referring to the various waagh point bonuses, not the trade-off!

Thanks for all the advice!

On 1/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Malakree said:

@Requizen

If you take a rogue idol you DEFINITELY want a warchanter, it has both Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz keywords you can put the +1 damage on it and it can benefit from the 3d6 charge.

I honestly hadn't thought of that, a super good option. My only issue is that once the Idol boogies down the table, the Warchanter is basically doing nothing if the rest of the force is Bonesplitterz only. If you're Big Waaagh, he's still generating points I guess, and can block reserve stuff, but still not really super impactful.

4 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I honestly hadn't thought of that, a super good option. My only issue is that once the Idol boogies down the table, the Warchanter is basically doing nothing if the rest of the force is Bonesplitterz only. If you're Big Waaagh, he's still generating points I guess, and can block reserve stuff, but still not really super impactful.

Just run him up behind. You don't need him in combat and he's still a hero so gives you IP AND reroll charges from him.

He's also not terrible with the +1 damage on himself. 

6 attacks, 6s to hit explode on 4+/3+/-/2 with 6 wounds and a 4+ save.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Malakree said:

Did a 1 day tournament today to test my slaughter list. Not having the wardokk/extra ardboys painted I went with a variation.

Allegiance: Big Waaagh!

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Metalrippa's Klaw
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
6 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (320)
- Pig-iron Choppas
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360)
5 x Orruk Brutes (140)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ironfist (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 139

I've been wanting to run an Ironclad Maw Krusha and a Big Waaagh army recently, so I killed two birds with one stone and copied this list. It was super fun and pretty effective. I think if I were to adjust it for use with realm artefacts, I would go with a Brutish Cunning, Ethereal Amulet, Weird 'Un cabbage. The cabbage having access to MD independently of the GGs gives a lot of flexibility and it's similarly tanky to an Ironclad boss.

This is the first list I've ever run without Hand of Gork, which is a big change, but Gorkamorka's War Cry was equally as useful in different a way. I didn't get to make use of Foot of Gork because I was playing against ogors, but having that as a hordekiller option is also pretty useful since IJ lists don't really have access to anything like that.

9 minutes ago, TALegion said:

I think if I were to adjust it for use with realm artefacts, I would go with a Brutish Cunning, Ethereal Amulet, Weird 'Un cabbage.

I ended up getting a heat 1 ticket last Thursday so just reused the list. I swapped ironclad for British cunning and it was way better.

9 minutes ago, TALegion said:

This is the first list I've ever run without Hand of Gork, which is a big change, but Gorkamorka's War Cry was equally as useful in different a way. I didn't get to make use of Foot of Gork because I was playing against ogors, but having that as a hordekiller option is also pretty useful since IJ lists don't really have access to anything like that.

Yeah HoG is great but perhaps not as big as people think it is 😉 Had a near mirror vs @Skeekrit and he was getting them off before finding he couldn't really use them.

On the otherhand fist of gork pummeled him several times over the course of the game.

Don't forget you can also just throw a mystic shield on the cabbage which is huge aswell.

Edit: Oh and metal rippers was consistently amazing across every game. He chewed up and spat out everything because of it.

Edited by Malakree

Always go 90% ironjawz with my lists but I've been thinking that the ideal situation is having a bunch of giant bonesplitters units as an anville, with a hammer of high rend units to hit against them.  The issue I keep running into with my armies is that whenever I do this I find myself left with 1 of a couple of things:

1. Relying on rend 1 to handle the broadening horizon of high armor armies

2. not very many bodies and relying on a Maw-krusha to do my work hoping he doesn't get shot/mortaled off board before he can do his thing

Below is a list that I try to alleviate this problem with, not only do I have 1 source of high rend, but I have 2.  I have over 180 wounds in the army, and plenty of bodies for objectives and absorbing damage.  The big downsides are:

A. No Battalion.  This is the biggie, not only am I down on command points in a traditionally command point heavy army, but crucially I am stuck with 1 artifact. Meaning my prophet isn't as effective as he should be.  I make this up a little with the extra command point (the alternative is a vanilla unit of 10 ardboyz that are never going to be benefiting from any buffs), but the magic frailty is an issue, with potentially 6 waagh points a pop I can potentially use my extra command point turn 1 to get the extra waagh points necessary to allow me to augment a couple spells that way without preventing me from going max waagh on T2, and at least T1 I can use the rogue idol to buff my initial phase, but it still stings.

And B. I am sorely lacking augments to go around.  I can only augment one of the maw-krusha or the Rogue idol's damage output at any one time, and I can only modify the armour of 1 out of the 3 desirous targets with armor buffs each turn.

LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Command Trait : Brutish Cunning
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Artefact : Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait : Weird 'Un
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Breath of Gorkamorka
Orruk Warchanter (110)

UNITS
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
5 x Savage Boarboys (130)

BEHEMOTHS
Rogue Idol (400)

TOTAL: 1990/2000
LEADERS: 4/6
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

So the question I am wondering is if it is worth it...  Normally I'd say no, but looking at exactly what I am replacing with the mawkrusha, 30 savages, or the rogue idol the alternative doesn't really feel better right now.  The alternative satisfies my psychological need to have all of my units 100% buffed, and have the requisite battalion to keep my drops in the 5-7 range, but thinking about the game impact, I'm having trouble thinking of how they do better in more situations.  Maybe wanting 60 savage orruks instead of the standard 90% ironjawz builds I've mostly been using up till now is an overreaction to meta conditions that won't be around much longer, but it does feel like it might be stronger.

Edited by tripchimeras

13 hours ago, tripchimeras said:

Always go 90% ironjawz with my lists but I've been thinking that the ideal situation is having a bunch of giant bonesplitters units as an anville, with a hammer of high rend units to hit against them.  The issue I keep running into with my armies is that whenever I do this I find myself left with 1 of a couple of things:

1. Relying on rend 1 to handle the broadening horizon of high armor armies

2. not very many bodies and relying on a Maw-krusha to do my work hoping he doesn't get shot/mortaled off board before he can do his thing

Below is a list that I try to alleviate this problem with, not only do I have 1 source of high rend, but I have 2.  I have over 180 wounds in the army, and plenty of bodies for objectives and absorbing damage.  The big downsides are:

A. No Battalion.  This is the biggie, not only am I down on command points in a traditionally command point heavy army, but crucially I am stuck with 1 artifact. Meaning my prophet isn't as effective as he should be.  I make this up a little with the extra command point (the alternative is a vanilla unit of 10 ardboyz that are never going to be benefiting from any buffs), but the magic frailty is an issue, with potentially 6 waagh points a pop I can potentially use my extra command point turn 1 to get the extra waagh points necessary to allow me to augment a couple spells that way without preventing me from going max waagh on T2, and at least T1 I can use the rogue idol to buff my initial phase, but it still stings.

And B. I am sorely lacking augments to go around.  I can only augment one of the maw-krusha or the Rogue idol's damage output at any one time, and I can only modify the armour of 1 out of the 3 desirous targets with armor buffs each turn.

LEADERS
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (460)
- General
- Command Trait : Brutish Cunning
- Boss Gore-hacka and Choppa
- Artefact : Metalrippa's Klaw
- Mount Trait : Weird 'Un
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Kunnin' Beast Spirits
Wardokk (80)
- Lore of the Savage Beast : Breath of Gorkamorka
Orruk Warchanter (110)

UNITS
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
30 x Savage Orruks (300)
- Stikkas
5 x Savage Boarboys (130)

BEHEMOTHS
Rogue Idol (400)

TOTAL: 1990/2000
LEADERS: 4/6
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1

So the question I am wondering is if it is worth it...  Normally I'd say no, but looking at exactly what I am replacing with the mawkrusha, 30 savages, or the rogue idol the alternative doesn't really feel better right now.  The alternative satisfies my psychological need to have all of my units 100% buffed, and have the requisite battalion to keep my drops in the 5-7 range, but thinking about the game impact, I'm having trouble thinking of how they do better in more situations.  Maybe wanting 60 savage orruks instead of the standard 90% ironjawz builds I've mostly been using up till now is an overreaction to meta conditions that won't be around much longer, but it does feel like it might be stronger.

I like your list because you have lots of bodies and the super Duo MawKrusha-Rogue Idol.

The weak points in your list are: - the lack of unpredictability, the lack of shooting weapons. Moreover, your Mawkrusha will die in the first/second turn if you don't hide him. 

After running a 2 krusha list for the last few months I fancy something completely different (mostly a list that isn't 100% reliant on t2 priority! 😂) for an upcoming tournament in a couple of weeks, this is what I'm considering.

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Lore of the Savage Beast: Gorkamorka's War Cry
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (110)
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Fixin' Beat
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 146

Plan is use the spell portal to snipe heroes with wrath of gork, a couple of 5 ardboy units for teleporting objective stealing and powering the wrath, brutes for bullying (I find them a lot better when the special weapons are on 3+2+) and ardfist for respawning if I'm lucky.

I'm not expecting to finish high but I think it will be a lot of fun and just a completely different experience. Right now I've got 40 points spare and I'm torn between whether to stick in another endless spell or go for the ironfist instead. If I go ironfist I'll break down the 10 ardboyz into 2x5 for extra dice on wrath. I played one test game so far and with the waaagh points to buff casting the magic was surprisingly reliable, especially on the wurrgog at +4.

Hi Everyone! I was lucky enought to come across a really good deal on some second hand ironjawz last month, but I'm having a hard time expanding them to a full Big waaagh list. Around here everyone plays games at the 1.500 points level. I believe I could start with the following unities: 

Spoiler

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas

Total: 700 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 50

Other than that I have a Weirnob Shaman, a Wardokk and 10 Savage orruks/arrowboys/morboys (didn't finish building them yet, leftovers from the warband I've built for  warcry). Do anyone have any advice on which unities I could add to the above list for a good/ok-ish 1.5k list? I'm also open to other configurations, i'm mostly trying to use what I alredy have (that why i have 10 brutes on the list).

@ArzalynThe Wardokk works well with other Bonesplittez spellcasters or blobs to support. Savage boys work best in 30 man blobs (except morboys, maybe?) to maximize your buffs and get the regiment discount. Ardboys probably outperform brutes on a point-for-point basis so it never hurts to add them. A block of 10 brutes honestly seems like a bit of a liability given their terrible bravery, maybe split 'em up. Gore-gruntaz are great. Ironfists are very reliable as well. Maw-krushas are always good. The Rogue Idol is good if you don't mind the irritation of forgeworld prices or using a proxy. Most people only use the Weirdnob for the teleport but it's a solid teleport.

The most obvious thing for you I think is something that can screen so Ardboys or adding 20 more Savage Orruks to get a 30 man blob of stikkas or archers going. Start Collecting Ironjawz is incredible value as well and you could use everything in it, even the second Warchanter.

2 hours ago, Warmill said:

After running a 2 krusha list for the last few months I fancy something completely different (mostly a list that isn't 100% reliant on t2 priority! 😂) for an upcoming tournament in a couple of weeks, this is what I'm considering.

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
- General
- Trait: Master of the Weird
- Artefact: Mork's Boney Bitz
- Artefact: Shamanic Skullcape
- Lore of the Weird: Wrath of Gork
- Lore of the Weird: Da Great Big Green Hand of Gork
Orruk Warchanter (110)
Orruk Warchanter (110)

Battleline
15 x Orruk Ardboys (270)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (180)
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore-gruntas (160)
- Pig-iron Choppas

Units
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)
5 x Orruk Ardboys (90)

Battalions
Ardfist (120)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 146

Plan is use the spell portal to snipe heroes with wrath of gork, a couple of 5 ardboy units for teleporting objective stealing and powering the wrath, brutes for bullying (I find them a lot better when the special weapons are on 3+2+) and ardfist for respawning if I'm lucky.

I'm not expecting to finish high but I think it will be a lot of fun and just a completely different experience. Right now I've got 40 points spare and I'm torn between whether to stick in another endless spell or go for the ironfist instead. If I go ironfist I'll break down the 10 ardboyz into 2x5 for extra dice on wrath. I played one test game so far and with the waaagh points to buff casting the magic was surprisingly reliable, especially on the wurrgog at +4.

I would drop off the Brutes to add 15 more Ardboyz that in Big Waaagh are better than Brutes. You will have just 6 drop instead of 7 that is always useful and more Orruks to increase Big Waaagh point at the start of your hero phase. 

31 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Hi Everyone! I was lucky enought to come across a really good deal on some second hand ironjawz last month, but I'm having a hard time expanding them to a full Big waaagh list. Around here everyone plays games at the 1.500 points level. I believe I could start with the following unities: 

Hide contents

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (160)
Orruk Warchanter (110)
- Warbeat: Get 'Em Beat
Orruk Megaboss (150)
- General
- Trait: Brutish Cunning

Battleline
10 x Orruk Brutes (280)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
- 2x Gore Choppas

Total: 700 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 50

Other than that I have a Weirnob Shaman, a Wardokk and 10 Savage orruks/arrowboys/morboys (didn't finish building them yet, leftovers from the warband I've built for  warcry). Do anyone have any advice on which unities I could add to the above list for a good/ok-ish 1.5k list? I'm also open to other configurations, i'm mostly trying to use what I alredy have (that why i have 10 brutes on the list).

You can add 30 Savage Orruks to buff with your Wardokk to keep objectives. So 300 points + 80. Total 1080 points.  I would invest my money in some Ardboyz.  360 points for 20 models.  So total 1440 points. Than 50 points more to buy a command point to use to increase your Big Waaagh points during Hero Phase with 'ere we go' Command Ability.  

Total 1490 points.

@NauticalSoup thanks for the round up of the options! So many good options that its hard to choose from them. I wanted to fit a idol in, but at 1.5k it leaves to little space for the bodies (after you discount the almost 500 points for spend on heroes). I put the brutes in a 10 unity to better recieve the warchanter buff, but with ardboys I doubt they would recieve it... I thought about getting a start collect, but would just 10 ardboys and 3 gore grutas be enought? 

@DestructionFranz Thanks for the advice! Would 30 orruks with lances be better than a 30 Archer unities? The potential to get them to 3+ save is tempting as is giving them extra move. Do you think a 15 models unity of ardboys would work too? Its easier to get 15 them 20 and it would leave 150 points for another unity (no ideia which one).

Anyone with more experience have any tips for running 30 Stikka Orruks and 30 Arrowboys in the same list? Do you all find your self spreading the 30 Stikka boyz out to screen your heros and arrowboyz? 

The 18inch range on arrowboys always makes their deployment and movement so important and I was wondering if anyone had any general tips or things they've learned from playing a list with 2 big groups of Orruks.