AoS 2 - Orruk Warclans Discussion

Malakithe

10 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

There are a number of clear buffs though. The most obvious one is the Warchanter, which is absolutely crazy now. Adding +1 damage to a unit of Ardboys or Gore Gruntas is absolutely ridiculously strong. The previous bonus  of +1 to hit is typically a 25%-33% boost to a unit's damage output. +1 damage on any unit with a damage characteristic of 1 is a 100% boost to that unit's damage output. So yeah, the Warchanter is now dishing out one of the most powerful buffs in the game and it can't be countered and can't fail. 

Its also a force multiplier, so it combines very well with +1 hit from Megabosses or +1 hit / +1 wound from big waagh. It does seem to be the only big buff and the removal of the waaaagh bomb is a big nerf, so we'll see how the alligience stuff for Big Waagh and the spell  lore/artifact stuff  impacts the army. Right now it seems kinda dicy. Ben Johnsons talked about how scary the new orruks were but so far I have yet to see anything the raises my eyebrows.

Oh and Kunning Rook seems to be nuked. Don't know if they will get something else but the new savage boss has his ability changed to only explode natural hits and its non-spammable (which to be fair was very predictable changes).

Edited by umpac

18 hours ago, Malakree said:

To directly quote.

"The ethereal ABILITY has no effect on attacks made by a Drakfoot unit."

Attacks is a short hand way of saying attack sequence. Meaning that for the entire attack sequence of any attack made by any drakfoot unit. As the save roll is part of the attack sequence the ethereal ability, which prevents both positive and negative modifiers from being applied, is ignored. Hence they can now apply bonuses to save if they would gain them.

Additionally, no where does it state that nighthaunt units cannot gain cover. If a nighthaunt unit is wholly within a piece of terrain then it has cover. So when it is subject to attacks, at the "save roll" portion of the attack sequence, it has cover. As such it gains +1 to save. However, the ethereal ability is then applied and all positive or negative effects are ignored. So it functionally doesn't gain the cover save it IS in cover.

Example. If the Hysh realmscape feature which grants -1 to hit for units in cover is active, then a nighthaunt unit in cover is at -1 to hit.

Hence when the ethereal ability is ignored the unit, which always had cover, is now able to gain the +1 to save from being in cover.

I don't read it that way at all. Ethereal is an aura that affects the Nighthaunt unit at all times, which makes it unable to get modified saves. An attack from a Drakfoot unit however ignores this, but the Nighthaunt unit is still affected by its aura.

This will certainly need to be FAQ'd though.

On another note - Looks like it I might have to switch the weapons on my GGs. That +1/+1 on the charge looks too good to pass up on.

Edit: The Rogue Idol hasn't been updated on Forge World :( I'm really curious if things have changed or if it simply got additional tags.

Edited by Kasper

23 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I don't read it that way at all. Ethereal is an aura that affects the Nighthaunt unit at all times, which makes it unable to get modified saves. An attack from a Drakfoot unit however ignores this, but the Nighthaunt unit is still affected by its aura.

This will certainly need to be FAQ'd though.

On another note - Looks like it I might have to switch the weapons on my GGs. That +1/+1 on the charge looks too good to pass up on.

Edit: The Rogue Idol hasn't been updated on Forge World :( I'm really curious if things have changed or if it simply got additional tags.

Well if it doesn't change, there might be a slight chance that the greenskinz in total, might be able to be taken in the big whaaag  allegiance ability.

Seems like Goregruntas got a huge buff. Mortals on the charge but also 2++ (also on charge) on the Jagged Hacka, which is then a 1++ with Smashing and Bashing? 

Combine that with a Warchanter and 6 goregruntas and isn't that 36 guaranteed damage, excluding their save? I'm relatively new, just want to make sure I understand this right.

Edited by Incredebilis

1 hour ago, Incredebilis said:

1++ with Smashing and Bashing?

I have only been skimming things so I’m not sure I fully understand the general question. But hitting on 1s still requires a roll and 1s always fail. That’s a rule from the core rules.

best you can ever get is a 2 up reroll. It’s a near guarantee since a fail is only 1/36?

5 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

I have only been skimming things so I’m not sure I fully understand the general question. But hitting on 1s still requires a roll and 1s always fail. That’s a rule from the core rules.

best you can ever get is a 2 up reroll. It’s a near guarantee since a fail is only 1/36?

True, 1s are always fail.

Honestly don't think that either of the GG weapons are better than the other right now. Both are great and give your GGs a slightly different roles.

The +1/+1 is going to lead to some horrific charges, especially in bigger units where the 2" range can shine. On the other hand choppas flat give you an extra attack and as @Killagore Faceslasha pointed out it's not like IJ or DGW are starved for ways to get +1 to hit (or even wound).

So honestly I think it's going to be personal preference and playstyle. I love the gg changes by gw.

EDIT: And yes @broche I agree that I might underestimate the Gorefist slightly in IJ but it shines hard in a great WAAAGH! Army.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

Wow, the great waaagh is applicable to Greenskinz units. I think the negligence opens a lot of interesting tactical considerations. The Greenskinz CA isn't as restrictive as the Megaboss's, the totem aura of the Warboss with a Banner is significant and of course: cheap 10 boyz for 80pts can really help generate Waaaghs via charging them. You can guarantee turn 1 20+ waaagh points if you spam  a bunch of Greenskinz Orrucks at min size with Gordrakk. Pretty comical. 

44 minutes ago, Miscast said:

I thought in the twitch stream they have relegated greenskinz to O&G legendary army status, which is why the Idol is getting new keywords. 

I'm pretty certain I heard this too. The Orruk Warboss would completely invalidate the changes they did to the Waaagh CA where it specifically got nerfed to once per battle. Why make this change if anyone and their mom would just ally in this cheap dude.