Warcry- Untamed Beasts Discussion

S133arcanite

I think abilities are definitely going to be one of the deciding factors for list building, but they're pretty hard to pin down because the dice mechanic is so new. For giggles I tried rolling 6 dice a bunch of times and the majority came out 2 doubles and 2 singles. Triples were about as rare as one double and 4 singles, quads almost nonexistent. Factoring in the wild dice it actually felt pretty likely you'll have access to most abilities every turn with the quads being a once or twice a game thing. 

Does anyone know if that lines up with the real odds for doubles/triples/quads?

Edited by Grimrock

Yeah, that sounds about right ....

There are 46656 possible outcomes when rolling 6 dice

7200 ways to get 1 single 1 double 1 triple (15.4%)

180 ways to get 1 single 1 quintriple (0.3%)

450 ways to get 1 double 1 quadriple (0.9%)

6 ways to get 1 sextuple (0.01%)

1800 ways to get 2 singles 1 quadriple (3.8%)

16200 ways to get 2 singles 2 doubles (34.7%)

300 ways to get 2 triples (0.6%)

7200 ways to get 3 singles 1 triple (15.4%)

1800 ways to get 3 doubles (3.8%)

10800 ways to get 4 singles 1 double (23.1%)

720 ways to get 6 singles (1.5%)

The most common outcome is you'll get 2 doubles (about 1/3rd of the time).

• Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Oh god thank you. I managed to work out 720 ways to get 6 singles (1.5%) all by myself, and then as soon as I began to figure out anything else I had an incredibly visceral Proustian rush followed by something fairly close to a panic attack as I felt like I had gone back 30 years and was stood up at the front of a drafty classroom about to disappoint, for the nth time, my structural engineer father.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks! Fantastic, I was getting about a third for the 2 doubles as well. I love it when math works out like that.

So it looks like the majority of the time you'll have a double, which means you can tweak to a triple if needed. Good to keep in mind if you're planning for abilities in the list building stage. 

10 hours ago, CitizenX said:

Why are you showing variations from Toughness 1-6?  Warcry only cares if strength is less, equal, or more than tough but doesn't care for the the difference. The way your data is parsed makes it look like you factored in the difference between the stats instead. 

I didn't know. In that case only the results for T 3, 4 and 5 are valid.

3 hours ago, Bjornas said:

If I understand this correctly then, sword preytakers are generally better over axes?

They are better without buffs and with Unleash the Beast, with Savage Fury and Onslaught Axe is slightly better

Edited by XReN

8 hours ago, Bjornas said:

So, when it comes to Preytakers, how are you guys planning on playing them? Strictly swords or one of each? Or none at all?

Also torn on the First Fangs, I'm really keen on running two in my warband, what're your thoughts on that?

I'm thinking one of each, and when I take extra I may take two swords and one axe or vise versa. They do seem a bit more useful than plains-runners on the attack even if they are slower, and they did some work for me today during the games I played today.

speaking of which holy heck are these guys fun! They're fast, hit hard and can survive a good amount before they get taken down. Honestly, the savage fury ability is super useful for when you're trying to get within punching range, giving you two universal abilities for the price of one double.

Also, the first fang has the potential to be awesome! I just wish I hit with him more. Still, the spear grab is pretty useful, like in my game on turn 1 I moved him and used the ability on an already activated Drillmaster, dragged her to close combat range for both himself and a plainsrunner to hit her close up, and then next activation beat her up with the plainsrunner.

Edited by Acid_Nine

32 minutes ago, Aristo said:

How has everyone’s games with the Beasts gone? I haven’t given them a try yet, but I’m putting mine together and hope to do well in my store’s upcoming narrative campaign! 

Played two games with them so far and I can honestly say I love them. Granted it was a starter / learning experience games, but the way they played felt right. They Can run pretty fast and hit dang hard, and barring a few knock outs were surprisingly tough. Plus, a few combinations you could do were fun to plan around. These guys will be my main warband with the Splintered Fangs I think.

• 2 weeks later...

My games have gone great with these guys as well! My list has been

Heart eater

1st fang 

2 rocktusks

1 beast speaker

Preytaker with axe

And one plainsrunner( I traded my Golems for a friends Untamed)

Having the 2 Rocktusks is nuts the speed is awesome and super helpful. I've been pretty lucky with my rolls for Unleash the Beast usage.  Those brown dice in the starter are my new best friends lol.

• Like 1

Finally had my first loss with the untamed beasts and the mission really made me split my guys up more than I should have. Fought against legion of nagash and have to say that their double to move a few extra inches is surprisingly powerful. They could shamble three inches or so, get in range of a guy already fighting a friend, and then swing for the fences. Couldn't put damage out enough to fight it, but may have been too agressive.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, Wazzuli said:

@Acid_Nine what was your list like?

basic starter set kit. I think it' both the mission and the match up, as my last game I managed to rip apart a x3 drillmaster, x3 bola legionare and a bunch of hammers winning the objective by some lucky rampage rolls. (managed to get two tripples to turn them into quads, and in two turns my heart taker managed to run across the map and kill two iron legionares I needed to kill)

Edited by Acid_Nine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alllllllright, we are getting a nice big pool for allies with the new book, and I am trying to decide what the heck I want for my next campaign game. The GMG review has previews of all the new allies, and I was already thinking on a few ideas for a new list.

1050 points (one dominated territory)

Heart-Eater-180pts

First Fang-140pts

x3 Plains Runners 

Preytaker with fanged axe -105

Preytaker with sawtooth blade -105

Rocktusk prowler -180

Chaos Sorceror lord (of slanneesh)-160pts

-I honestly think that the Beastspeaker is the weakest link out of the war band, just in terms of attacks and damage. never impressed by her, and in the last few games her double wasn't that useful.  now, based on what GmG said the sorcerer lord has a great ability that can buff anyone, and the magic attack is pretty much miles ahead of the whip. The other idea idea I had was replacing both the beast speaker and one plains runner with a slaughterpriest, but that will net me with less speed but with a better melee dude.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom_gore said:

Those points seem utterly wacky. A sorceror lord is cheaper than a Heart-Eater? :D

You're right! It's 165pts not 160 😉

but, I think it's a fair price. The sorcerer's blast attack is pretty killy, but it can swing wildly being Str 3. and he's not exactly a monster in melee... but, he does have some good support!

Does anyone run two First Fangs

Ive only used my untamed Beasts in one game, but I was really impressed with the first fang harpoon , just being able to catch those fast models with a harpoon hit.

The beast speaker might be good , but she died too early to tell.