Warcry- Iron Golems Discussion

S133arcanite

On 9/11/2019 at 12:25 AM, Greasygeek said:

Hi all

So does anyone ever use the Spine crushing blow ability? Every time I consider using it, it just makes more sense to pick the Onslaught universial ability instead. However this does make the Prefector and the Dominator a bit boring. What do you people do?

Hardly ever. Our dominar is already strength 5, so he wounds most things on 3s anyways, so an extra attack is always good.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:25 AM, Greasygeek said:

Hi all

So does anyone ever use the Spine crushing blow ability? Every time I consider using it, it just makes more sense to pick the Onslaught universial ability instead. However this does make the Prefector and the Dominator a bit boring. What do you people do?

You only ever want to use it against toughness 6 or higher, so not much use so far - might be useful vs monsters though! Even against toughness 5, onslaught wins out, as the average number of hits are the same, but you get an extra chance at rolling a crit.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:02 AM, Baron Wastelands said:

You only ever want to use it against toughness 6 or higher, so not much use so far - might be useful vs monsters though! Even against toughness 5, onslaught wins out, as the average number of hits are the same, but you get an extra chance at rolling a crit.

One thing I noticed is that Spine Crushing blow only effects the next attack action while Onslaught is for the whole activation. I have done the math but I feel this makes Onslaught better in pretty much any scenario that involves attacking twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my first couple of Warcry games in using the iron golems against untamed beasts. 

Won 1, lost 1. The first was where the untamed beasts had to get half off a board edge and I had to kill half. Very satisfying and dramatic ending in round 4 with throw Bolas taking out the 5th member as he was one move from the edge. 

The second I had to secretly pick a quadrant and the opponent had to have someone in that quadrant at the end of round 3. I reckon if I'd played a defensive quadrant I could have won it, but ended up trying to lure my opponent away from the chosen quadrant by setting up defensively in a different one and he was able to have someone in every quadrant. 

The ogre breacher was absolutely devastating, and managed to pull off a battering ram with a triple 6. The legionnaires with shields turned out to be very tough to kill and good defensive pieces despite a pretty poor damage output, and throw bolas was quite effective, especially the time I managed to roll a 6 off a double 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Which mercenaries are people leaning towards for the Golems? I’m thinking less about min/maxing and more towards fluff and narrative reasoning but am curious what everyone has been using. Currently looking at a Slaughter Priest for the Golems and a Darkoath Chieftain for the Untamed just based on aesthetics but the Anvil guy for Khorne also fits quite well (almost better) with a Golems warband. Also note I play with the default band using one box, haven’t started expanding my warbands yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 5:22 PM, Lior'Lec said:

Which mercenaries are people leaning towards for the Golems? I’m thinking less about min/maxing and more towards fluff and narrative reasoning but am curious what everyone has been using. Currently looking at a Slaughter Priest for the Golems and a Darkoath Chieftain for the Untamed just based on aesthetics but the Anvil guy for Khorne also fits quite well (almost better) with a Golems warband. Also note I play with the default band using one box, haven’t started expanding my warbands yet.

Well I have a lord of plagues I bought a long time ago, that guy is definitely getting repainted for my golems.

On that subject, here is my first painted Iron Golem 😃

3622DD7F-FEE1-48B2-871E-679E6251F59D.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi,

does anyone regularly play the Iron Golems? If yes, what is your standard crew setup?

In my experience, Iron Golems seem to be lackluster. Though I have some nice conversions in mind...

Aesthetically, I love them, and I've converted a Khorne Bloodstoker into an Ogor Breacher, and I'm working on making a Prefector out of Skullreaper parts. But! I just haven't had any luck with them on the table. They just require a lot of forethought in set-up etc, because other teams have an easier time getting around the board and shifting gears, I've found.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:25 AM, Greasygeek said:

Hi all

Spine-Crushing Blow is so totally useless that I'm convinced it must have been written at a point when Strength worked slightly differently in Warcry. There is literally no situation in which Onslaught wouldn't be a better choice.

With the new Warband boxs ets becoming available this week I'm tempted to flesh out my options now to have access to a full 20 man warband.

Is anyone still campaigning as Iron golems and have any ideas for a decent balanced full warband would consist of?

Only reason I'm thinking of getting the new box instead of just another 8 aside from the obvious have enough is for plenty of grunts. The idea of using too many dupes does put me off big time bar for shield grunts which I can't get enough of.

Pic of the Warband so far too. Just love the look of the Golems.

RDT_20190821_1216071448223867734776243.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...