Warcry- Iron Golems Discussion

S133arcanite

I've got my colour scheme all planned. Does anyone know if the Iron Golems will have their own box at launch or will they be starter set exclusive for a little while? I want to get a second box so I can build all the options but I'm not willing to get a second starter set.

Looking over the lists that can be made in the box and I'm having a hard to time picking  between the Signifier and the Prefector.  The  boost to damage and strength ability from the Prefector is going to help if you are looking at a mirror match or something like Stormcast (which I am assuming is going to have high toughness), but the Signifier's defensive buff ability  also looks pretty universally useful.  Has anyone tried putting together a list yet? If so which one are you intending to use (since we won't have the ability to run both without a second starter for a little bit)

In all honesty, strength and toughness aren't as important as number of attacks and damage a weapon can do.

The Signifier giving +1T to each model within 6" certainly does help to boost toughness with the Golems, though the Untamed have S3 and S4 attacks wheras Golems all are T4 minimum. It's a minor buff to make the models near him 5+ to wound, though it does effect more than himself.

Meanwhile, the Untamed are all T4 except the Plains-runner that's T3. The Prefector has S4 attacks, though making him S5 does mean on average 2 of the 3 attacks he has will wound all of them now.

I guess it depends on how you make your list, as if you have the spare +5pts, his crit does do +1 damage compared to the Signifier which may swing things, really though it's a case of do you want to get wounded on 5+ for a few models, or the ability to 3+ wound on one model.

There's also mission factor too, having defence is good for objective play, though on the bloodmarked kill mission, that Prefector attack could really come in handy.

Prefector is an overall better choice, his 5 damage crit allow him to finish off multiples of 5 wounds models faster. His abilities isn't very useful as with a double you could go for Onslaught (universal ability : +1 attack) to get more crit.

+1 T aura from Signifer is situational as most non-crit attack deal insignificant damage.  And with a triple you'd rather use Respite to heal off your wound from those non-crit attack, probably a better use for wild dice than the aura.

On 7/20/2019 at 5:27 PM, RaiderX said:

Prefector is an overall better choice, his 5 damage crit allow him to finish off multiples of 5 wounds models faster. His abilities isn't very useful as with a double you could go for Onslaught (universal ability : +1 attack) to get more crit.

+1 T aura from Signifer is situational as most non-crit attack deal insignificant damage.  And with a triple you'd rather use Respite to heal off your wound from those non-crit attack, probably a better use for wild dice than the aura.

I'd argue that Prefector is only valueble when you go against T5 (or higher) heavy warbands, where he will be able to dish out more damage with Spine Crushing Blow than most other fighters with Onslaught (which will go on Ogor Breacher or Dominar) 

Considering that most damage dealing Iron Golems have T4, Signifer can help to protect them much better than Respite, think about this: to use Respite you may need to disengage, losing 1 attack action and if you have a low value triple to use, Respite won't do much healing whille Stand Defiant always gives the same bonus. 

Finally, the damage difference between those two is mediocre, just 0,5-0,7 points of damage in favor of Prefector when fighting at Strenght 4

Edited by XReN

You know, Iron Golems probably give the most count as opportunities

Want an all Dwarf or all Oger band? you can probably do it with these guys with minimal conversions if you use the iron Guts or Chaos dwarfs

want to just use slaves to darkness? again, minimal conversions to represent them as Iron legionares, maybe using Halbreds as two handed weapons for the big guys.

I think it's fairly awesome to have this faction be pretty limitless with the things it could represent!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nactigal said:

What colors are you planning to paint this warband? I was thinking of using one of the color shift paints for the armor.

I’m leaning toward a green and gold look like Horus Heresy-era Salamanders. So base Waaagh Flesh, layer moot green, trim with retributor armor shaded with Agra’s Earthshade.

10 hours ago, Nactigal said:

What colors are you planning to paint this warband? I was thinking of using one of the color shift paints for the armor.

I am probably going to use Namarti flesh for the skin tones and try out using some contrast paint over leadbelcher or gold just to see if I can get the shiny-ish look going for them

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

So what is the main ability people are planning their strategies around? Personally I want to get as much use out of throwing bolas as I can,  just to make up for a lack of movement

I'll probably use +1 move and in later turns Onslaught on Ogor, whille spamming Drillmasters, since they have move 5", good melee and decent 3" attack

• 2 weeks later...