Are hexwraiths worth taking now?

Jaxler

My usual set up is a zombie dragon lord, and I tend to throw his rerolls on my hex wraiths, essentially making a blob of 15 into a mortal wound dispenser. I'll also throw a normal vampire's +1 attack ability their way as well if I've the points and maybe vanhel's. This tends to make a very blendy mortal wound and -1 soup. 

I wanted to ask if you guys think the point changes in GH made them a worthy choice, as well as how you guys use them.

mmmm , i have like 20 black knights / Hexwraiths kits  from death start collecting boxes , im still thinking which unit is the best for my needs,  for 20 point more HW seems like a obvious choice, but that +1 wound +1 dmg from BK seems ok too

8 minutes ago, Rod said:

mmmm , i have like 20 black knights / Hexwraiths kits  from death start collecting boxes , im still thinking which unit is the best for my needs,  for 20 point more HW seems like a obvious choice, but that +1 wound +1 dmg from BK seems ok too

Black noodles only get those buffs of they charge, remember. 

Also the fly over mortals occasionally do matter, especially if you are leaving combat.

Just now, Jaxler said:

Black noodles only get those buffs of they charge, remember. 

Also the fly over mortals occasionally do matter, especially if you are leaving combat.

sure , i know, also sucks that the barrow lance is only reach 1''

but for the points....

Not a huge fan of either Hexwraiths or Black Knights honestly. Though between the two, I think the former are better.

I am still upset that BKs to this day feel more like mounted scrub skeletons, instead of the mounted wights they are supposed to be.

I think HWs are a bit too expensive for what they do still, and just need another 10-20 points chipped off to be fine.

BKs I would make their basic wound 3+, 2" reach, rend -1, double damage on a 6+, and change their charge bonus to double damage triggers on a 5+.

• Like 1

I'm facing the same issue. A couple friends and I are getting into AoS and planning on playing 1k armies for a while. Right now we've played several ~700 point games as we've learned rules and mechanics, etc. I'm playing Legion of Blood and the main hammer of my 1k army is going to be 10 Blood Knights (either two groups of five or one group of ten, not sure yet). However, I was thinking of fielding a 5 man Hexwraith group to harass / tie up Heros or valuable targets until the Blood Knights could go balls out. I considered Black Knights instead, however the point of the Hexwraiths (in my army) would be to close the gap fast and harass, and being able to fly seems like it is worth the 20 point premium. Not to mention Ethereal will keep them locked in combat a little longer than Black Knights.

so i played both BKs and HWs. BKs pre LoN and in units of 5 (1k games or less) they suck. They do a little bit of dmg when they charge and nothing as the fight is going on. 10 of them is a diffrent story, as you can revive them now (LoN), you got a fast meatshield which also can deal with weaker units. Just let them hang around the flanks, charge them into weaker units to kill them or straight into the heavyhiters just to stop them for 1-2 turns. Then revive and do it again while the rest of your army does the real work.

HW are much better, they can dish out good dmg/MW (also units of at least 10) and I used to play them with a Knight of the Shroud on Steed nearby (or vampire lord on steed) for more attacks or a devastating 10" charge (NH trait!).

Last game 10 of them killed 20 blood letters, 5 dogs, a korgorath and 1 or 2 small heroes of khorne. Those 10 HWs+KotSoS completely hammered half of the enemys army till the 3rd round.

I love them, I always field them, just don't forget the support...

On 7/25/2019 at 9:03 AM, Dolinarius said:

units of at least 10) and I used to play them with a Knight of the Shroud on Steed nearby (or vampire lord on steed) for more attacks or a devastating 10" charge (NH trait!).

Last game 10 of them killed 20 blood letters, 5 dogs, a korgorath and 1 or 2 small heroes of khorne. Those 10 HWs+KotSoS completely hammered half of the enemys army till the 3rd round.

I love them, I always field them, just don't forget the support...

What are your thoughts about them in a 1k list? My friends and I are doing 1k games. For the first time last week I fielded a group of five of them.  I casted Vanhel's Danse Macabre on them and they took out a squad of Liberators and was able to turtle on an objective until my Necromancer and zombies were able to take that role over. They did get wiped but was able to bring them back next turn in the graveyard. They seem to do OK. The only real damage they did to my Stormcast opponent was the mortal wounds. At 4/3/-1/1 hitting Liberators rerolling saves of 1 made it annoying and I'm pretty sure the horse attacks only lead to one or two saving throws for me opponent in the entire game.

In an Nighthaunt army I fielded:

Knight of the Shroud on Steed

Guardian of Souls

20 Chainrasps

6 Spirithosts

10 Hexwraiths

Guardian with chainrasps (anvil) 

Spirithosts in the grave for ambushing elites, heroes and mosters. 

Hexwraiths and KotSoeS at tge flank (hammer). 

If you play LoN you can also bring this combo or a vampire lord. The problem is, you need your CPs for the revive and not for buffing. To field a group of 10 will make them last longer and of course more punch. 

As I mentioned, i like them. 

I am considering starting nighthaunt but have a few questions.

They seem to have ok anvils, high mobility(hexwraiths, deepstrike) great board control (deepstrike, many models), but not really any hammers. 

For example, my friend has a tomb Kings army regenerating 10 wounds per squad per turn. Chewing through that seems difficult. 

Any thoughts on good hammers either to use or ally in? Or how to bring a lower model count hammer within the battletome?

Whoops... meant to post this in nighthaunt general discussions...

Edited by Frowny

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

I am considering starting nighthaunt but have a few questions.

They seem to have ok anvils, high mobility(hexwraiths, deepstrike) great board control (deepstrike, many models), but not really any hammers. 

For example, my friend has a tomb Kings army regenerating 10 wounds per squad per turn. Chewing through that seems difficult. 

Any thoughts on good hammers either to use or ally in? Or how to bring a lower model count hammer within the battletome?

Bladegheist Revanants are pretty good blenders. Two attacks at 3/3/-1/1 and three attacks if you charged. Seeing how they can retreat and charge in the same turn, you can get the three attacks fairly often. On top of that, if they are wholly within 12" of a friendly Spirit Torment or Chainghast they can re-roll ALL failed hit rolls (not just 1's).

Sincerly I play both Black knights and Heixwraiths, I don't find them  to be an altervative of each other.

I use them to cover different roles.

Balck Knights usualy are in units of 5 or 10 to be able to create a safe zone or a massime fast impact against the enemy.  Take note that usually I play the legion of Night, so if I play them in defensive way I gain also the defensive deplyment zone bonus.

They are nice at defending but also at attacking. I miss a rend -1 on their weapons, but with the right combination they can be quite massive in attacks they can inflict, moreover if they charge.

The Heixwraith instead I use them usually in units of 5 to hunt the enemy. They're usually more resilient, and can damage bboth attacking and retreating. The ethereal rules let me block units with great rend but not many attacks (they even blocked the cafeteria of the Ex Empire). And Being them also a summanable unit I don't mind too much to make them eventually make a come back if destroyed. I find them perfect as a way to threat and stall the enemy.
Ulucky I found units of 10 of them not so good. I prefer units of 5 talking about the Hexwraith cause I find them more maneageble for the usages I give them usually.

• Like 1