Help needed organising an 800pts event

Durant

Hi

I am working on a 800pts event for my local shop, it will be more narrative and less comptitive, event. We will have two teams one AoS team second compedium old world team. The idea is to show old players AoS and also have fun.  (have fun is the most important part)

My problem is at 3 stage of the event I am planning for players to have a special cards with extra things. They will come in two categories strong one and weak one, and will be given after stage 2 to the wining player. Eg if you win a scenario that has a objective to find a artefact you will get a  2 cards of a magic weapon to use. One for you the second to give to your team mate.

The problem I have is balancing it, I do wish for them to be useful I do not wish for them to ruin the game by making it auto win.

What would you consider a good thing, +1 save for a unit? D6 mortal wound one use only ?

Is a sword 3 mortal wound to powerful for a 800 pts game?  

I think making them one use/time bonuses is good, at least then it's fun and done.

Something defensive feels less likely to upset thin skins too, rather than a bonus D6 mortal wounds or something that could see someone lose a favourite model.

So something that gives a save feels more friendly, 'at the end of the battle you find buried deep in an ancient barrow, a relic from the age of myth, the fabled Plot Armour of the Duardin smiths of yore - you get a one time 2+ save against any attack on your general'... 

Or even make it more fun and random, 'Lo you hath discovered Samanzidat's Amulet of Transdimensional Sundering - your general can play this card once at the start of any of your opponent's combat rounds and instantly move D6 inches'

Or play up the narrative side of it and that the games are linked and have had some effect on each other.

So something like giving them one free drop during setup in game 3, to represent how the winning general has shown tactical superiority and won greater control of the land throughout the campaign.

Or you get one free 'ignore battleshock' to represent how your troops respect your general's skill and ferocity in battle.

Or your general's successes have inspired the population to rise up and fight for him but it will take some time for the peasantry to beat those ploughshares into swords, in round 4 or 5 you can expend a command point to bring back a unit that has been destroyed (or if that's too much, make it on a x+ roll and/or the returned unit has to be battleline and/or comes back at half strength etc etc).

Edited by JPjr

First off, giving a bonus for winning is a sure fire way to suck the fun out of the tournament. The best players will get a bigger advantage.

Secondly, if you are set on the idea, don't make up new items, use the Realm based ones from Malign Sorcery, they're ideal and can tie into where the campaign is located.

Personally what I'd do is this

Battle One - Objective based fight, winner starts the next fight as the defender

Battle Two - Defend the treasure, pick a scenario that means the defender counts up a score to try and unlock the tomb

Battle Three - Winner for Two gets a bonus magical item or two. However, they must escape past hordes of the enemy. Loser can return units to the battlefield if they get wiped out from the sides. Battle two winner must get treasure chests off the opposite board edge

On 7/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, Durant said:

Hi

I am working on a 800pts event for my local shop, it will be more narrative and less comptitive, event. We will have two teams one AoS team second compedium old world team. The idea is to show old players AoS and also have fun.  (have fun is the most important part)

My problem is at 3 stage of the event I am planning for players to have a special cards with extra things. They will come in two categories strong one and weak one, and will be given after stage 2 to the wining player. Eg if you win a scenario that has a objective to find a artefact you will get a  2 cards of a magic weapon to use. One for you the second to give to your team mate.

The problem I have is balancing it, I do wish for them to be useful I do not wish for them to ruin the game by making it auto win.

What would you consider a good thing, +1 save for a unit? D6 mortal wound one use only ?

Is a sword 3 mortal wound to powerful for a 800 pts game?  

We have a narrative story going on through a yearly event, there is a way to earn spell scrolls usable by any hero, orgs usually take spells from older warscrolls and it makes a nice addition, scrolls are 1-use.

We also had benefits depending on our lists, like when I played this year with FEC horror heavy lists and GKoZD leading the charge my GKoZD had an ability to CP reroll 1 charge roll die instead of both, if he was the first one to charge this turn. But it requires collecting lists before event to come up with those.

Edited by XReN
  • Like 1