Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband

Kyriakin

Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite (visually) Warcry Warband?

• Iron Golems (scuba ones)
    • Untamed Beasts (ones with furs and a lion)
    • Splintered Fang (snakey ones)
    • Corvus Cabal (birdy ones)
    • The Unmade (weird torn-flesh ones)
    • Cypher Lords (spartain-geisha ones)

18 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I want to play Iron Golems, but I am conscious most people will be using them due to the Khorne-ish red scheme and coming in the big box. Call me a snowflake, but...

I'll be painting mine up in a blue green and copper scheme just like my chaos dwarf Army. Make it your own!

I'd love to see some top notch painter do the Iron Golems with kind of polychromatic, iridescent, armour that subtly shifts as light falls in different ways on it. Really play up the mutative, transformational nature of the realm of metal.

maybe with different thinned down contrast paints blending into each other over a silver/steel base coat, so no one colour is overwhelming but you get subtle shifts right across the spectrum.

I'd try myself but well...

• Like 2

Just now, JPjr said:

I'd love to see some top notch painter do the Iron Golems with kind of polychromatic, iridescent, armour that subtly shifts as light falls in different ways on it. Really play up the mutative, transformational nature of the realm of metal.

maybe with different thinned down contrast paints blending into each other over a silver/steel base coat, so no one colour is overwhelming but you get subtle shifts right across the spectrum.

Fortunately there's an easier solution. You might want to check Chameleon paints by Green Stuff World. Amazing effect! 

• Thanks 1

Also "Color Shift Paints". A girl in our group that does some commission work was showing me some models she was airbushing for 40k using the color shift and it gave that exact result. Looked amazing, especially painting metalics!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I want to play Iron Golems, but I am conscious most people will be using them due to the Khorne-ish red scheme and coming in the big box. Call me a snowflake, but...

Yeah! another snowflake just like me.... oh wait... 

• Haha 1

For me it's:

1) Corvus Cabal

2) The Unmade

3) Splintered Fang (I'd paint these more in gold and red to play up their Roman Gladiator look)

4) Iron Golems ( if painted like Blight Kings, they'd look super cool)

5) Cypher Lords (they look too chunky muscle-wise for me, if done more like fitgirl sculpt-wise, I'd rate them my #3)

6) Untamed Beasts (look too much like generic marauders, though a god specific paintjob could save them)

Before Cypher released it would have been Splintered Fang no contest. But I really love how their design is like a Slaaneshi-Tzeentch fusion, so they take 1st for me! Now after SF is corvus because it reminds me of the zealot healers from Warhammer Online :( and corvids are my favorite birds too

Honestly, the fact that GW has made a diehard non-Chaos player want THREE warbands of Chaos minis at all is a testament to these designs...

• Like 1

I chose Iron Golems, which is great for me because they are I’m getting the Starter set.  And for similar reasons listed above - I love the diver helmet, all metal  aesthetic, and they have an ogor! 

Ive got to admit I do like them all - I think the crow guys are possibly the most well sculpted, but are my least favourite as I am allergic to feathers.

I like the idea of collecting them all!

8 hours ago, JPjr said:

I’m no “great painter” but had the same idea and already prepped and ready... now it’s just trying to narrow it down to WHICH color(s) to use... 

image.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JPjr said:

Greenstuffworld Colorshift paints... they can also be applied over other colors than black for a more subtle effect. It does work though!

EDIT: Replied before reading all these answers. *facepalm* xD

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 1

I also really really really hope that someone talented does the Corvus Cabal up in a bright tropical parrot scheme, because in theory I think it will look awesome but in practice when I do it the results will probably look less than impressive and more like some elderly, mangy looking budgerigars stuck at the back of a pet shop that no one wants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, JPjr said:

I also really really really hope that someone talented does the Corvus Cabal up in a bright tropical parrot scheme, because in theory I think it will look awesome but in practice when I do it the results will probably look less than impressive and more like some elderly, mangy looking budgerigars stuck at the back of a pet shop that no one wants.

Haha I had that thought as well 😂 I have the bird from the acolytes left that I wanted to try painting a parrot scheme. Just for practice. Now if it works I will try it on at least the leader. And replace the bird on its hand with the ‘parrot’.

All that said I’m in no way a talented painter. Soooo I’ll let the results speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, JPjr said:

Paint them blue and, when one of warriors dies, say "It's pining for the fjords".

Lovely plumage.

Edited by michu
  • Like 1

For me it's Corvus Cabal and Cypher Lords in the top tier that I absolutely will be picking up, then Splintered Fang and the Unmade, then the rest.

Two things about the Cypher Lords:

1. If you spin the Thrallmaster's model around on the GW webstore you can see that she (I think? They're all pretty ripped and without visible faces it's tricky to tell on the Thrallmaster; I'm just going by the voice in the trailer) has a third arm hidden in her robe holding another glass globe. It's an interesting choice as practically the only visible mutation among any of the warbands (a source, IIRC the podcast with designer Maxime Pastourel, refers to the Iron Golem's coloration as a result of rubbing forge ash into their skin), and it's a pretty classically Tzeentch-y one to boot.

2. If the website's breakdown of units is correct, there isn't any consistency among the masks- I was hoping that the presence or absence of a gem and/or crest shape would be a clue that a model is a Mindbound or Mirrorblade but it seems like they're pretty much interchangeable. A little annoying.

I like both warbands in the starter set. At first, I wasn't too keen on Untamed Beasts but I've really come around with them. They remind me of Dark Sun roleplaying setting. I also really like Corvus Cabal and The Unmade. Warcry might be a game where I get all the warbands, but we'll see... :)

9 hours ago, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Interested that the unmade are last in the poll standings. I have an unsubstantiated hunch that they're a lot of people's second favourite one

I really like the Dark Souls-y "eugh who would come up with that?" vibe of the leader

They’re my least favourite, but it’s pretty close, they aren’t far behind any of the others. And the unmasked face has made them cooler in my opinion:

168D80DD-E177-4B2B-98CA-BC9D62AF4EB7.jpeg