1000pt skaventide starter

Twisted magpie

Hi everyone

I'm an old 8th ed player, I'm looking to play some AOS games because I've heard 2nd edition is much more succinct.

However I'm a little dubious so I don't want to spend out on books until I've played a couple to ensure I enjoy it.

I'm using battlescribe just for the moment to put together a list (will pay for the official app if I like it all) so I don't know how complete the information is, please correct me or feel free to give any general advice on changes to the list.

So far...

Grey Sear (spell plague, Skaven brew and being a master manipulator)

Plague priest on furnace

30 monks with double blades

2 units of 20 clanrats with rusty blades and shields

Hell pit abomination

I have 30 points left over and not sure how to use them. 

I don't know what all the various banners and bells do so a little advice on those would be great.

Well for 30points you could technically take an endless spell, although I’d just skip it for the first few battles you’ll encounter.

as for bells and banners well,

banner that can be taken by Stormvermins and Clanrats will let you retread and charge in the same turn, giving you an ability not often seen in the battlefield.

the banners and musical device the clan pestilence have (plague monks, well I guess are a bit more difficult than it looks like.

the plague monks have two banner and two musician option.

one of those two banners allows you to role a dice for each plague monk model that dies in the combat phase, in a unmodified role of 6 the attacking unit suffers a mortal wound.

the other banner increases the damage of the weapon by 1, when rolling for the to wound rolls a I unmodified 6.

The bale-chime, increases the rend by 1 when you role a unmodified 6 on the to hit chart.

and last but not least the doom gong, allows you to add 1 to the run and charge rolls.

anyways, your list seems interesting and since a few units got a point increase/decrease I would just try a few things out, meaning just take what you like more.

Also as an reminder the aos app is for free.

Hello,  i don't know if your monks figures are already mounted with two blades, but i personnaly think woe blades is better because of all the rules that increase the number of hits per weapons (for example, in charge, it will be 5 attacks per model instead of two

Ok, that's worth considering. I have about half of my monks modelled with each option so I can just keep the selected for up front. 😁. However I don't quite understand how many command points I'll be feasibly using in a match and trying to balance that against having a weapon that I won't hit with as often. 

2 hours ago, Twisted magpie said:

Thanks for the prompt reply Skreech, I do have the app but I thought I had to pay before getting access to writing lists and the points. 

Can you help me understand the benefit of retreating and charging again?

Well, as you probably know or have noticed is that the clanrats aren’t really that great in competing against other units when it comes down to combat.

what I for one really like doing with my meathsields is to usually retreat from a unit, when in combat trying to get myself into the range of a objective.

If I’m to far away well don’t worry my friend charge that unit that was engaged with you one more time and see fit that the rest of your clanrats charge into the nothingness where the objective is held.

to make that tactic legal, take that one brave clanrats and set him up within 1/2 inches of the enemy units, and the rest will just form a congaline back to the rest of the blob of clanrats, that charged the wrong direction.

or another one is to just retreat your Stormvermins out of combat when there’s just one model holding the unit of , and charge a bigger unit that could threaten your army.

Those are just some example, since there will always be a time when the retreat and charge rule will come in handy, and it can sometimes even be unexpected, for the player himself.

7 hours ago, Twisted magpie said:

I don't know what all the various banners and bells do so a little advice on those would be great.

When you select a unit on the GW webstore, you'll see a "download" option, which will let you dowload the warscroll (stats and rules) for that unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of upgrading this army to 2000 points. I'll add to the above to make this...

Grey seer

Plague priest on furnace

Hell pit abomination

30 plague monks

2 X warpfire throwers

Claw horde to include the warlord

2 units of 40 clanrats

30 stormvermin

However I also figured that I could keep the clanrats units at 20 each and use them to grab objectives and bump both the monks and stormvermin to 40 each. 

Do you think this would be a better idea? I'm not sure the battalion is worth it if I only have 1 big unit to use the warlord ability on, however if like to know if the artifact and command point are worth it?

Edited by Twisted magpie