Faction Ideas

So, this may already be a thing, but due to the enthusiasm on my other topic, I would like to start up a forum for sharing faction ideas. Specifically, my goal is to create a positive, accepting environment for people to share their developing ideas. Specifically, I don't want this kind of talk:

"That's to similar to faction X" - Because that's their idea, and not everyone can pull unique ideas out of a hat. For example, I think that steampunk pirate goblins is just fine, as long as they have changed even the smallest detail - they're goblins, not dwarves. Similarly, my ideas for Spite and Wardancers factions may seem too similar to Sylvaneth and Wanderers, but they were the inspirations.

"That's boring/bland" - Because not everyone thinks the same things are bland. For example, someone once said that, because they're too "Generic Fantasy", Wanderers will never get an update. I don't care what he thinks - I think they are a faction with a strong theme.

"GW would never do that" - Well, we don't expect them to. It's just our idea after all.

"That's not what that grand alliance is about - It should be in GA X" - Even though GW releases point each Grand Alliance toward a specific theme, for example Death = Nagash or Destruction = Gorkamorka, they are simply concepts at their core. It is just that those gods are the main official patrons of that concept.

"I would never play against that - It seems unbalanced." - Ok. Doesn't mean anything to the rest of us, now we know your opinion. I, on the other hand, would be glad to help playtest your developing faction, and besides, this isn't just about rules - a lot of my faction ideas will just be concepts and lore!

And finally, the dreaded "That doesn't fit into AOS." - My least favorite of them all. the snipes of that's too silly, or too serious, are absurd to me. The Mortal Realms are a wonderfully diverse world. Think of how we can have the goofy Skaven, Orruks, and Grots, the Grimdark Idoneth Deepkin, Nighthaunt, and Flesh Eater Courts, and the shining, heroic Stormcast Eternals, Seraphon, and Aelves, all in the SAME UNIVERSE! Anything can be AOS. It's all up for interpretation.

But most of all, HAVE FUN! Let's all enjoy ourselves sharing our Faction Ideas, however serious, goofy, undeveloped, or precisely balanced they are! The mortal realms are diverse - so let's explore every possibility.

• Like 1

Guess i'd better start things off - My main faction idea is that of the Wardancer Tribes - Here goes nothing!

The Wardancer Tribes are Aelves that guard the Wild Places of the realms - Initially only Ghyran, for where their Wanderers Cousins fled, they held fast - But after the respite of Sigmar's Tempest, they spread throughout the realms like wildfire, especially taking to Ghur, where their numbers have come to exceed those in Ghyran. The Wardancers are made up of tribes, each with a territory of their own, which they will defend from any intruders. Their tribes each take on an animal aspect to aspire to, and name themselves after it. For example, the most renowned tribes include such names as the Bear tribe of Ghur, aspiring to acts of physical strength and bravery, the Serpent tribe of Ulgu, who move through the shadows with the grace of their namesake, the Stag Tribe of Ghyran, the original Wardancer tribe, holding to vigilance and loyalty to defend against the despoiling hordes of Nurgle, and lastly the Eagle tribe, hailing from the wilds of Azyr itself but wander throughout the realms, who live for the virtues of freedom and justice.

Feedback welcome!

• Like 1

Clan Skyven: An Aeronautical themed Skaven  faction and the foil to Kharadron Overlords. Instead of the glistening metallics of the Ironclads, think gritty, dilapidated Hindenburgesque Zeppelins and a red barony, WW1 fighterpilot aesthetic complete with goggles/scarves/etc... and some of the more traditional gas mask donned skaven on the mounted aerial rattling guns. Rat Ogres parachuting down onto the enemy from above while Ace Fighter Skrizitch Notail cackles gleefully from above.

the name is terrible and I hope if we get something along this line for skaven that GW come up with a much better title for the clan

Edited by DatHomieSilverSurfer
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

A faction of human mages. Some focus on just magic and have very weak armour but powerful spells, others are average to great in combat but use less magic. I basically want a faction of mages with a few elite warriors that stick around to protect them while receiving buffs from the more powerful mages  

Destruction automatons: basically the response of the mortal realms to the wars. Think Final fantasy weapons and Nausicaa sort of thing.

Defenders of the realm: the new human faction reflecting the different city defenders. Could also include old elfs and dwarfs factions.

Soulblight: AoS Genestealer cult. I mean, exactly that. Ambush based, and the ability to field a Defender of the realms units.

Not really a faction but... AoS 3.0 : the realms awaken. Big monsters focused. Release of 1 monster per realm and make them roam the battlefields.

• Like 1

Destruction Elementars:
Humanoid Elemental beeings that appear to cause utter Destruction. Design beeing more similar to Aelven factions, maybe with a light touch in eastern design, with a lot o magical swirls like we know them from endless spells. Like a sane Landslide or Forestfire

Dragons:
A whole Alligience of Dragons. Most propably as a Destruction Army. Would be in some way an Imperial Counterpart, beeing a faction of huge monsters, but better balanced due to AoS Wound-Mechanic. Having smaller Drakes for Battleline and huge Wyverns as Behemoths.

Destruction cult of Ogors worshipping the Suneater, tended by grot subspecies Gothi. Destruction Priests, shamanistic magic, fire... so much fire (Destruction)

Aeloran Wyldlings, insane Aelves who walked to the edge of the realm, carrying the disease of the Wyrd with them, a force of raw magic that seeks to return the realms to their primal forms (Destruction)

Proper Ironweld Arsenal (see my topic for more detail)

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

The Tombwrights - a Death faction of Duardin who dwell within Shyish and craft the tombs and resting places for their powerful undead masters. Their armies would include various stone golems, slave packs of undead, liches or mummys, and the Duardin acting as heroes or small units. They use telekinetic magics to strike at their enemies, or enhance their strength.

The Skinwalkers - A Destruction faction of aelves, these bestial aelves hunt both men and beasts, devouring their essences to enhance their natural abilities. Some can change their shape to various vicious beasts or adopt animalistic traits  such as mighty leaps, sharp claws and fangs or venomous spit. At their core they're still Aelves, so they hunt with bow and spear, and many of the younger hunters use shields to protect themselves, whilst the older, more experienced ones can heal their wounds with the hearts of their prey.

• Like 3

Wardancer Tribes Update - After more thought, i've decided that the core of the army list will be made up of a battleline unit (Wardancers), a shaman-type caster hero, an elite Wardancer unit, and a Basic Hero (Shadowdancer). Outside of that is when the fun really begins - Think Eldar Aspect Warriors, but with an Animal theme, such as Snake Dancers, Eagle Dancers, Bear Dancers, and Stag Dancers. They would each have a theme and ability based off of their animal, with Weaponry to match. Each of these "Beast Dancer" units would then get a Leader choice following the same vein, which would make it's corresponding unit  battleline if it it's your general, and some would even have corresponding animals - Great Eagles, Hunting Hounds, War Bears, etc. Once again, feedback welcome.

Edited by AthelLoren
  • Like 2

Not exactly a new faction, but i wrote some Phoenix Temple lore for my units and made me think on all sorts of developments, such as:

-Smaller flaming birds

- a host of Elementalists using fire and ice spells to reduce mobility of enemy or burming then alive.

- Flying Elves with flaming wings on their backs and bows made of ice.

- a centerpiece figure like the Eidolon but with an elf with a giant glave and a flamimg Phoenix spreading its wings behind him. 

A Halfling army, an Order comic relief like goblins for Destruction.

Peacefull guys dragged into a fight and dping their best.

Battleline - Halflings with all sorts of mixed tool like shovels, spoons, vases, cooking pots and so on.

Behemoth - a giant with several Halflings in diferent plataform around its body. Lorewise, the halflings give it a lot of food so he is very loyal. 

Slingshot ranged weapons.

Ostridge riders with flying kick bonus on charge.

A Cook hero, provide area bonus.

Couple Ogor mercenaries with Halflings cheering behind then.

• Like 1

I'd really like to see a Death army that drives in the 'mad scientist' direction. Maybe that could be a reinvention of Deadwalkers- a meshing of dark technology and magic to reanimate the dead, zombie infantry backed up by stitched-together flesh monstrosities and an insane war machine, with a special character who probably says something like, "They all said I was mad, but they'll see, they'll all see!"

• Like 3

Deathcasts AKA what Nagash does to get back at Sigmar for stealing souls

Skeletons: the cheap rank and file options. Have a melee and an archery variant.

Obsidian Golems: The elite option. Obsidian bodies powered by the soul of a dead warrior bent to Nagash's will. These will be the multi wound heavy hitters.

Warmachines: Bring back the Necro Sphinx and a bigger version of the Obsidian Golems mentioned above. Maybe give them something like the skeleton catapult.

Hero/Casters: Necormancer, a "sculpter" themed guy, and maybe someone who is partially Obsidian.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I'd really like to see a Death army that drives in the 'mad scientist' direction. Maybe that could be a reinvention of Deadwalkers- a meshing of dark technology and magic to reanimate the dead, zombie infantry backed up by stitched-together flesh monstrosities and an insane war machine, with a special character who probably says something like, "They all said I was mad, but they'll see, they'll all see!"

I just picture a death version of Professor Farnsworth from Futurama meddling around and sleeping while his creations run amok across the Mortal Realms

• Like 1

So you know how there is no counter to prayers in AoS. What we truly need is a faction of super Atheists who deny the existance of gods even in these crazy times where gods roam the lands. They would have no buffs in the form of prayers and could not use magic but would have the best anti magic and anti prayer abilities they would use science and technology to fight.  

• Haha 2