Movement blocking and "teleports"

swarmofseals

Question

I just double checked the FAQ to see if there was an official note on this, but I'm not seeing anything.

If an ability is preventing a unit from moving (eg: "this unit can't move until the beginning of your next hero phase"), can it still be removed from the battlefield and set up somewhere else if an ability would allow it to do so?

Similarly, does being removed from the battlefield and set up somewhere else count as movement for abilities that check whether or not a unit has moved?

I am under the impression that the answers are yes and no respectively, but it would be nice to be able to point to this being officially stated somewhere!

7 answers to this question

There is this from the core rules design comments  for Reserves:

"Q: Some abilities allow you to remove a unit from the battlefield and set it up again, and say that this ‘counts as their move for the movement phase’ (or words to that effect). Do these units count as having made a move for the purposes of any other rules or abilities?

A: No, it simply restricts them from making a move later on."

Hope that helps!

4 hours ago, King Taloren said:

You have to look at the individual abilities themselves. Most of them I think should be usable in situations that movement is normally restricted. Because though it counts as movement it is not considered an actual move by the definition of movement in the game rules.

And a great many (almost all) of the abilities also list that they count as movement for the movement phase and abilities that are looking if a unit has moved or not.

I'm not sure that I quite follow this. I can't think of any abilities that actually say that they count as movement for the movement phase. What they typically say is "you cannot move in the following movement phase" or "instead of making a normal move". A few say "count as that unit's move for the following phase" but it doesn't specify that the act is movement -- just that it counts as movement.

For example, Lauchon says "‘The unit you set up cannot move in the following movement phase.’"

Soulscream Bridge says "That unit cannot make a normal move that phase."

Then a unit like Tree-Revenants' waypipes ability reads "instead of making a normal move..." -- in this case I think clearly you could only use it if you could make a normal move, but I'm not sure that the ability would actually count as moving. There are a lot more examples like this.

The Seraphon's Lords of Space and Time and Skaven Gnawholes say "this counts as that unit's move for the following movement phase." Here I think it'd be a bit more reasonable to infer that it counts as moving, but it's still not clear cut.

15 hours ago, King Taloren said:

Which is why I said to look at each individual ability as none of them are worded the same though some are similar. There is no cover all ruling that can be inferred on all of them 

Do you know of any official rulings that cover any of these situations? or are we just going on inference about what we think the rules should do? 

10 hours ago, Glazer said:

There is this from the core rules design comments  for Reserves:

"Q: Some abilities allow you to remove a unit from the battlefield and set it up again, and say that this ‘counts as their move for the movement phase’ (or words to that effect). Do these units count as having made a move for the purposes of any other rules or abilities?

A: No, it simply restricts them from making a move later on."

Hope that helps!

Ahh, I must have missed that one! That does definitely help. 

You have to look at the individual abilities themselves. Most of them I think should be usable in situations that movement is normally restricted. Because though it counts as movement it is not considered an actual move by the definition of movement in the game rules.

And a great many (almost all) of the abilities also list that they count as movement for the movement phase and abilities that are looking if a unit has moved or not.