Will aelves become their own grand alliance?

I'm not against it, but I also don't know if it will happen.

Even among Order, they've made a good effort to have lore that justifies various Order factions fighting; Idoneth need souls, Khaineites are... well, Khainiteites, Fyreslayers will sell their grandmother if offered enough ur-gold, etc. They do seem to be wary of a 40k situation where the the majority of games are Imperium vs Imperium despite that making very little sense in the lore (although Stormcast vs Stormcast still has no explanation, mind).

Thematically, the elves are still largely about Order(tm). They don't want to see the world fall to Chaos, they largely seem content to let other civilisations stand so long as they don't threaten them, unlike Death who's gotta catch 'em all. There's nothing that really sets them far apart from Order unless the lore eventually goes in a direction where they're united under a goal that Sigmar would very much not want them to achieve.

If the Grand Alliance system is expanded, it would make more sense to do so in a thematic way. I'm not sure exactly what that might look like, but maybe considering the D&D alignment chart as a vague jumping off point, we might consider Destruction as Chaotic Neutral, Chaos as Chaotic Evil, Death as Lawful Evil, Order as Lawful... Neutral? That last one is trickier. 

What would a Chaotic Good grand alliance look like? Grand Alliance: Life, maybe, starting with the Sylvaneth and maybe some other new armies? Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Honestly, if they only limit the conflict to the background I would be happy. It would almost be like The Old World dynamic, with bretonnia and the empire. Two separate factions following separate ideas and separate goals, can come to blows and fight, but as soon as the orc tribe or  chaos war and comes knocking? Suddenly they can and will break heads side by side together.

Edited by Acid_Nine

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

If the Grand Alliance system is expanded, it would make more sense to do so in a thematic way. I'm not sure exactly what that might look like, but maybe considering the D&D alignment chart as a vague jumping off point, we might consider Destruction as Chaotic Neutral, Chaos as Chaotic Evil, Death as Lawful Evil, Order as Lawful... Neutral? That last one is trickier. 

What would a Chaotic Good grand alliance look like? Grand Alliance: Life, maybe, starting with the Sylvaneth and maybe some other new armies? Just an idea.

Well, and that is why I see the Aelf Factions (+Sylvaneth) as an issue. They don´t fit an "good guys" theme anymore as the lore is too grimdark for it. Some (the old ones and IDK) Aelven factions fight for survival. Other for their own purposes, like the DoK.

Having Aelfs as an own Grand Alligience would be a good expansion of the world. It would also add a lot of potential thematics like f.e. racism, when Aelfs prefer to help each other and dislike alliances with humans, dwarfs or SCE. On the other side, it would help to clearly define Order as Lawfull Good. Althrough the same could be done with the Duardin~

4 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Well, and that is why I see the Aelf Factions (+Sylvaneth) as an issue. They don´t fit an "good guys" theme anymore as the lore is too grimdark for it. Some (the old ones and IDK) Aelven factions fight for survival. Other for their own purposes, like the DoK.

Having Aelfs as an own Grand Alligience would be a good expansion of the world. It would also add a lot of potential thematics like f.e. racism, when Aelfs prefer to help each other and dislike alliances with humans, dwarfs or SCE. On the other side, it would help to clearly define Order as Lawfull Good. Althrough the same could be done with the Duardin~

Well, after some of the malign portent stuff I don't think the storm cast can be seen as good guys either, what with massacring everyone.

24 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well, after some of the malign portent stuff I don't think the storm cast can be seen as good guys either, what with massacring everyone.

That's Knight Excelsiors - Hallowed Knights would actually try to heal this village (Yes, I think that Sigmar should disband Knights Excelsiors because they're going to be problem after few reforgings. One day those lunatics could say that even Sigmar is not anti-chaos enough and rebel).

I think even if the goods are pissed by the things Sigmar does they wouldn't become an own Grand Allegiance.

I mean, if Aelfs would become something different than Order, it would be impossible to play Aelfs together with Humans, Duardin or Seraphon. And we know that not every human is a Sigmar follower.

• Like 1

the only way I could  see this working is if the current grand alliance divisions were realigned entirely. The Aelves getting their own grand alliance under the current scheme would make the names for the other alliances (especially order) come off as rather arbitrary. I mean, Sigmar isn't inherently more 'orderly' than guys like Teclis and Tyrion

6 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Too... many... aelves....

Yup. Best scenario is to roll the older factions into the new ones to cut then short.

Currently we got:

Suported: Idoneth and Dok

Partially Suported : Wanderers, Darkling Covens

No Suport at all : Order Draconis( 4 models), Order Serpentis (3 models), Eldritch Council (5 models), Swifthawk Agents(5 models), Lion Rangers(2 models), Phoenix Temple (4 models), Scourge Privateers (2 models) and Shadow Blades(1 model).

Honorable mention: Sylvaneth. People call the Aelves but they are not.

It is a nightmare fielding most elves because they do not have a common Battleline, so it forced you to use GA order and pay "tax" battlelines to make it work. It is by far the biggest mess in AoS and i would really like GW to fix that so i can be confident about my army. Got 7 k "high elves", all bought as AoS products and have zero support after 4 years is brutal.

I make it work, on tournaments i am always in the "mid tier", but with each new rule (artifacts, Traits, "Temples") it becames harder and harder to play. Also it doesnt help that we get point nerfed in EVERY SINGLE GHB!

• Like 1