Wanderers Update Theories

3 minutes ago, Cafarom89 said:

do you think they will ever make new kits for wanderers after these cuts or not? sorry tagazzi but it is from January that I play AoS and I love wanderers, all this has discouraged me a lot, but fortunately it is not all lost

Not remaking the newly-lost units, but a new, DoK-style faction that is spun-off from Wardancers aesthetic is likely. 

Edited by Kyriakin

The two wood-elf heroes that have been squatted were easily the best sculpts of their day. it doesn't look good for them particularly in the context of Sylvaneth being a thing and the force opposing Beasts of Chaos in the next Shadespire box.

• Like 1

I'm honestly amazed that people are taking the reveal of the Kurnothi decked out in Wanderer armor as some kind of deathblow for Wanderers.  If it's a direction you don't want them to go I understand, but I am 100% sure the Wild Hunt under Kurnoth is where the remaining Wanderer kits will end up.

The High Aelves were squatted, the Wanderers lost one unit and some non-plastic heroes. There's a night and day difference between how they were treated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, madmac said:

but I am 100% sure the Wild Hunt under Kurnoth is where the remaining Wanderer kits will end up.

Couldn't the remaining Wanderer kits just be for Cities of Sigmar?

Nothing left (or even anything that was just squatted) really fits the Kurnoth aesthetic, IMHO.

The sculpts that do fit this incoming aesthetic - and, indeed, probably inspired it - were lost in the previous squatting (i.e. Wardancers, Warhawk Rider, Shadowdancer, etc.)

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Couldn't the remaining Wanderer kits just be for Cities of Sigmar?

Nothing left (or even anything that was just squatted) really fits the Kurnoth aesthetic, IMHO.

The sculpts that do fit this incoming aesthetic - and, indeed, probably inspired it - were lost in the previous squatting (i.e. Wardancers, Warhawk Rider, Shadowdancer, etc.)

1. No, because there's no reason for GW to keep random models just to be in Cities of Sigmar. It's the other way around, models are in Cities of Sigmar because there's no other place to put them for now but they also don't want to squat them. If Wanderers don't have a future and they're murdering Aelves left and right anyway, there's literally no reason to spare them the axe.

2.  Aside from the old Wardancer bit, literally the Kurnothi were made to have armor resembling the remaining Wanderer models. Compare the Centaur to Wild Riders, and the armor on the rest of the Kurnothi, lion included to Eternal Guard/Wild Wood Rangers.

There's some new flourishes, (the soul pod or gem looking things for one) but there's no question that they are taking their aesthetic cues from the remaining Wanderer models as the baseline.

• Like 1

no reason to keep playing Wanderers if they discontinue the Waywatcher and dont create a new hero as compensation. The Waywatchers account for 75% of the damage in any of my Wanderer lists. The rest of the modelline just exists to buy them 5-6 rounds of shooting.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thalandor said:

no reason to keep playing Wanderers if they discontinue the Waywatcher and dont create a new hero as compensation. The Waywatchers account for 75% of the damage in any of my Wanderer lists. The rest of the modelline just exists to buy them 5-6 rounds of shooting.

Waywatchers weren’t really that good. I always ran 2-3 in my lists though. Any chance of a re-sculpt for the metal heroes? 

Judging by the DoK release the Wanderer Release might encompass 10 - 14 units plus one Centerpiece. All guesses are marked with a (?)

1. Eternal Guard

2. Wild Wood Rangers

3. Wild Riders

4. Sisters of the Thorn

5. Satyr Archers

6. Satyr Infantry

7. Centaures with Spears 

8. Centaur Archers (?)

9. Some Sorcerer

10. Nomad prince

11. Some Priest?

12. New Hawk Riders(?)

13. Some Kind of large Animal(?)

14. Sisters of the Watch(?)

Centerpiece: Aspect of Kurnoth(?)

Do you have any additions or changes to the list?

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 2:02 PM, AthelLoren said:

The removal of most of our heroes makes me very sad... The Waystrider was actually my favorite sculpt in the range, ever.

I always loved the Waystrider model but never got around to painting him - or fielding him more than once or twice - due to his sadly lackluster warscroll. Now I'm thinking that model may actually find a home in most of my regular lists as a Wildwood Ranger unit champion. I really like the Wildwood Ranger/Eternal Guard kit but for variety I've converted some additional units of Wildwood Rangers from both old Wardancers and the new Wood Elf Blood Bowl team and I think the Waystrider would look really nice as the champion of either of those converted units. Alternatively he could probably be given a bird and a shield pretty easily to run him as a Nomad Prince. This whole thing is certainly a bummer, but I'm going to try to find ways to roll with the punches. Hopefully this clean-up can at least mean some cool warscroll updates for us. Wild Riders actually behaving like the shock cavalry they should be, please?

• Like 4

Just a couple notes about the Kurnothi that people seem to be missing. 

1) Kurnothi are "aelf-like" but not aelves
2) GW did confirm they are not aelves on facebook
3)The Satyr models are actually quite large in real size, close to stormcast size. 

Although it's possible some of the wanderers could fit in with this new faction like the witch elves mixing with Melusai concept, my personal opinion is that it is going to be a Idoneth Deepkin style release. Many people speculated that the corsairs from dark elves would survive into idoneth but they did not. 

• Like 4

Eh, the Melusai and Khinari also are not aelves and lack the aelf keyword, I don't expect it matters much.

There's also no shared visual design between the Corsairs and the Idoneth, so I can't speak to people making that assumption off of limited information but I don't find the comparison equivalent.

12 hours ago, Thalandor said:

Wanderers still GHB legal for a year, and I'd guess Kurnoth will be out by then. 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, zilberfrid said:

They seem to stick everything to a god.

- What remains of the light elves could be allied to Teclis

- Dark elves to Malerion

- Plant elves to Alarielle

- Beast related wild elves to Kurnoth

They'll stick Freeguild to Sigmar.

I know. But kornuth is a reiteration of an old world God, whilst the others where incarnates. I’m not sure why GW decided to develop the followers of kurnoth. For a long time the incarnates where the main guys in we of sigmar. I would have expected the light or shadow elves to be fleshed out before another aspect of the former wood elves. The light and shadow elves have been mentioned in the lore a lot. These Kurnothi are somewhat of a surprise. 

Finally picked up the new Sylvaneth battletome at the weekend and just finished reading it now. So couple of things leapt out at me, which in light of recent developments has made me think again about what’s shaping up.

Key thing is that there is literally 1 mention of ‘Wanderers’, as a faction, in the whole book and that’s just their inclusion in the allies table.

Absolutely zero mentions of them in all the fluff sections, not even the standard story of their retreat/betrayal* in the Age of Chaos. In contrast Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Idoneth, Kharadron, Seraphon and several others all make cameos (at least).

As an aside for those that like to parse Games Workshop texts for hidden meanings with all the zeal of an ancient scholar of Talmudic texts, Voynich Manuscript researcher or wild eyed Qanon moron then the word wanderer is used a couple of times but just in sentences describing random beings getting lost in woods and duly eviscerated by angry trees. Cue ominous music...

At the same time one figure, Kurnoth, is, despite his lack of model or even being alive, almost omnipresent throughout the book. Barely a page goes by without some reference to him or his, always capitalised, ‘Wild Hunt’.  Especially in regard to his connection to Arch Revenants, Kurnoth Hunters and the whole Heartwood Glade.

So to cut an overlong, boring, post short I reckon Wanderers as a full faction are done with the Cities of Sigmar release, they’ll keep their keyword, for allies purposes, but the remaining models will just exist as the woodland rangers and the like that rove beyond the city walls acting as scouts, spies & a first like of defence/offence.

I can see one of the options in the CoS book being a Ghyran city that lets you put more focus on them but I think for the future that’s them done. Which I realise probably isn’t what people want to hear but in overall terms of the game makes a lot of sense (to me anyway).

The Kurnothi (sp) will be their own thing but with very, very close links to the Sylvaneth. I suspect their book, if/when they get one, will either include a couple of existing Sylvaneth warscrolls or allow you to include say a Heartwood Battalion as part of your main army, not as allies. (Of course there is always a possibly, though less likely I’d have thought, they could do something similar with one or two of the more appropriate Wanderers unit like The Sisters of the Thorn but...).

Or the alternative, or just a stopgap measure depending on how long it takes to release a full range, is the opposite and the new Beastgrave units get the Sylvaneth keyword as well for the time being until they get fully fleshed out.

Either way, the result’s the same and I’m less inclined to believe existing Wanderers units will have a core, or indeed any, role in any ‘beast aelf’ army in their future. But the CoS book will hang around in its soon to be current state for a couple of years and then at some point get a refresh of models with another tranche of old ones being phased out. I think the CoS concept, whilst not exactly new is still pretty interesting and novel for wargames so will stick around, with gradual embellishments, for a while.

Usual caveat applies that all the above is just nonsense off the top of my head and no doubt soon to be proved wrong.

* delete as appropriate.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, adreal said:

There wasn't much mention of wanderers in the previous battletome either, yet they do get a fluff section in the big rule book

Ah I didn't have the first Sylvaneth BT to hand to check, saying that looking right now in the Core Book Wanderers get one single paragraph at the end of the Free Peoples section, which whilst it briefly mentions their schism with Alarielle & the Sylvaneth spends much more of its limited space talking about their role and relationship with the cities.

So, to me, it seems like they've ended up where they were always going to end up.

• Like 1

The main problem I see with wanderers, is that even the stuff that is left is optical quite mixed together.

We have the Nomad Prince, Eternal Guard and Wildwood Rangers as one design.

We have the Wild Riders standing alone

We have basicly Sisters of the Thorn and Sisters of the Watch standing alone

I know I like to show my projects as an example but in case of the Theme of Eternal Guard and Sisters I had some themes in my Faithful of Elony Project

My Maiden Guard was a Fanmade Project in the first place but it is an example for an optical consistent army.

And in @Melcavuk Blogentry

there are some nice designs for a Wildrider Theme.

Fluff changes with new battletome releases. Mounted Ogors weren't all fleeing an Eternal Winter that follows them everywhere until suddenly they were, The Bonesplittas weren't obsessed with hunting great beasts until they got a battletome, ect.

If Wanderers get rolled into the Kurnothi, which I fully expect they will, it's likely they will lose the Wanderer keyword and were devoted followers of the Wild Hunt all along, or perhaps the Wanderers ranging around the Free Cities sometimes feel the urge to go native and join the Wild Hunt, much how regular Orks sometimes take a knock to the head, strip off all their clothes and join up with the nearest Wurrgog Prophet.

Fluff is malleable, but relatively modern plastic kits that fit the theme are golden, is what I'm saying.

That said, re Wanderers in the core book, it's talked about more in the history of the Realm of Life.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Gosh It's been a while. Sadly, with the release of Cities, I think that's where Wanderers are staying. Of course, Homebrew is always an option, and I would absolutely play a fan-made Battletome including all the Axed wanderers units, maybe even revamping some of the Wood Elf compendium units. For now, I'll stick with Cities until the Kurnothi are released - of which I keep faith. Until the Wild Hunt comes around, I'll hunt with the Living City's Wildwood Rangers,  Wild Riders, and Nomad Princes instead.

Also, it is good to keep in mind that not all is lost. We can proxy Spellsingers as Battlemages or Sorceresses at least, and Glade Guard could work as Crossbowmen of some sort or, as I use them, as Shadow Warriors. Also, when playing with friends, I don't see why they shouldn't let you paste the CoS keyword on Glade Guard, Waywatchers, etc and use them with the Living City rules.