Wanderers Update Theories

Just now, 123lac said:

I honestly think they are being squatted.

If Wanderers were being squatted they'd have finished the job, like they did for Order Draconis, Eldritch Council, Swifthawk, Lion Rangers...

The fact that the only got rid of the oldest unit and finecast/metal heroes means they have other plans for them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, madmac said:

If Wanderers were being squatted they'd have finished the job, like they did for Order Draconis, Eldritch Council, Swifthawk, Lion Rangers...

The fact that the only got rid of the oldest unit and finecast/metal heroes means they have other plans for them.

I definitely agree with this, there’s been indicators Wanderers were different from the other Aelven factions from the start 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmac said:

That was just round 1...

4 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

My guess also. If I was betting man I would say no wanderers in 2020 handbook anymore and what is left from that army is in cities book.

Hard to say what they would do because they have literally built up an entire faction around just one model set, the Black Orcs/ ard’boys for IronjawZ

• Like 1

I suspect Wanderers as we currently know them will be done. GW will lean into the wardancer aesthetic for a new faction (a la DoK) - maybe Kurnothi. And then there will be the Cities factions including Wanderers. Only speculation but GW do seem to be streamlining the AoS range and bringing it all into line.

Yeah, the NZ CR guy needs a promotion, communication to the players and a banner on the NZ games workshop page.

Nothing like that on other pages, so get this guy in charge of the whole CR of GW.

Lost for wanderers: All heroes except Nomad Prince, and glade guard.

Left: Eternal guard/rangers, Sisters of the thorn/wild riders, Sisters of the watch, Nomad prince.

The hope for Wanderers now lies with the Kurnothi, I think.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Sad 1

All the heroes outside of the Nomad Prince were resin or metal, so it's a no-brainer that they'd get rid of them as soon as they could - GW's experiment with keeping their metal molds usable with a proprietary resin was pretty much a flop - Finecast was a massive fiasco in terms of quality and probably cost them a good deal of money. (I've not got the monetary figures but I do know that there were massive issues with bubbling, bending from heat, being malformed or poorly molded, etc.) They have likely sold through most of their existing stock, so it's time to retire them.

It's a shame, as some of them are actually nice sculpts (I own most of them in metal, which is awful to paint but oh well), but GW is capable of creating even better miniatures now that they don't rely entirely on hand-molding their minis.

I'm not upset about the loss of GG models either, because they are runty compared to most other AoS models, and we could end up with much nicer aelven archers out of the deal - which would be a net win for the game - us older players could use our GG as counts-as and newer players could buy the new models.

Also, I am 100% into buying any satyr/centaur aelves they make, I love the overall look and would love to field units of them - even if #2 from the right looks really, really derpy.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, overtninja said:

All the heroes outside of the Nomad Prince were resin or metal, so it's a no-brainer that they'd get rid of them as soon as they could -

My only weird issue is that gw also appears wildly inconsistent (I mean I dont even play wanderers, not sure why Im here)

Plastic Grot Shaman they could have reused for gloomspite gitz? Removed.

Metal (or resin? they didnt specify) Madcap Shaman that comes in a 2 pack from like 14 years ago? Sure keep using them!

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

My only weird issue is that gw also appears wildly inconsistent (I mean I dont even play wanderers, not sure why Im here)

Plastic Grot Shaman they could have reused for gloomspite gitz? Removed.

Metal (or resin? they didnt specify) Madcap Shaman that comes in a 2 pack from like 14 years ago? Sure keep using them!

It's not about what can continue to be used - most models can be used long after they are sold as counts-as. It's about what they choose to keep in production, keeping in mind the age and condition of the molds, the popularity and number of models sold, and whether or not it's cost-effective to produce them as they are now. You should definitely use your cool old minis!

9 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

so do you think shadow warriors will replace glade guard as the wanderer's generic archers since all other swifthawk stuff is going away or do you think they will throw them in with what they plan to do with them Phoenix boys?

Sisters for Kurnothi/Wanderers, Shadow Warrors for Teclis elves would be my guess.

I have a feeling GW is moving elves from quick, skillfull and slender pointy eared humans into something more extreme. The cities of sigmar contain the more traditional elves and the other elves will explore new esthetic choices and concepts. 

I’m actually a little puzzled why we’re seeing these kurnothi instead of the light/shadow elves. But I’m fine just sitting back and seeing what GW comes up with. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, elfhead said:

I have a feeling GW is moving elves from quick, skillfull and slender pointy eared humans into something more extreme. The cities of sigmar contain the more traditional elves and the other elves will explore new esthetic choices and concepts. 

I’m actually a little puzzled why we’re seeing these kurnothi instead of the light/shadow elves. But I’m fine just sitting back and seeing what GW comes up with. 

They seem to stick everything to a god.

- What remains of the light elves could be allied to Teclis

- Dark elves to Malerion

- Plant elves to Alarielle

- Beast related wild elves to Kurnoth

They'll stick Freeguild to Sigmar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

The removal of most of our heroes makes me very sad... The Waystrider was actually my favorite sculpt in the range, ever.

I am going to work my very hardest to find ways to field them with the new tome, I've customized all my heroes and I'm sure they'll find a home representing something! I'm a big fan of the Waywatcher myself - if need be she can be the unit champ for my SotW (which are old Waywatchers themselves), or another elite ranged unit, particularly if a scouting elite archer unit is in the cards.

For the rest, it will be a bit harder, but I'll figure something out, and I'm sure you will too!

I'm looking forward to seeing how different forces get arranged - there will almost certainly be more unit options in an all-elf list now than before, and without knowing allegiance requirements it's hard to spitball what we'll be able to use.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cafarom89 said:

In my opinion the magician is the biggest loss of the wanderers, glade guard are instead those that weigh less than the sisters of the watch, much more powerful and useful than the glade guard

I think it's just your starting point is a large influence on how you take it.  People who painted up 80+ Glade Guard are naturally going to be unhappy with the cut, while people like me who got to build a box of Glade Guard and Sisters side by side and compare can just toss the Glade Guard over my shoulder with a relieved sigh I'm not forced to use those things for battleline or battalion purposes. Seriously, Sisters are a dream to put together, especially contrasted with GG.

I also dislike horde factions in general, so I prefer to go with more elite options when possible.

I agree with you though that losing the mage is a bigger loss, albeit it is always a lot simpler to rotate out a hero or two for new kits then a spammy batteline unit.