Wanderers Update Theories

For what little it’s worth I’d say Wanderers/Wood Elves have a much more distinct style that could work with AoS right now than say their snooty Home Counties cousins. I think they can easily fill a spot that other ‘good’/order armies don’t without too much of a radical overhaul compared to just armoured elves.

I reckon most of their existing models are much more interesting than other aelves, just use the sisters of the thorn/wild riders as the basis and really go in on them being the fauna faction to Sylvaneth’s flora.

Go full Wild Hunt/Druid with them, couple of menhirs/trilithions as terrain, lots of different beasts from bears to lions to made up ****** like zebroxes, some big horned god centre piece model and I’d buy into that, especially for a smaller Warcry sized ——> 1000pts force.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JPjr said:

-snip-

Go full Wild Hunt/Druid with them, couple of menhirs/trilithions as terrain, lots of different beasts from bears to lions to made up ****** like zebroxes, some big horned god centre piece model and I’d buy into that, especially for a smaller Warcry sized ——> 1000pts force.

If I can have units of bears I'm 100% in.

Like others have said, I would really like for them to go the wildlife route, where as the Sylvanneth are more heavy on sprites and the like.

• Like 3

Summoning wildlife could be a fun mechanic. It could fill gaps and maybe even strengthen the shooting phase by giving opponents more roadblocks to our archers? A Druid with 3 wolves (or something) they can summon would do more work then a Spellsinger.  I could see Wanderers getting a book and an endless spell as a surprise release. Wouldn't take much to make them a 'top tier' force, either. We are a good glass-cannon already, we just need a little bit more punch or a little bit more evasion. 

My wishlist would be:
Create a Druid model that can do limited summoning
an endless spell 'Wild Hunt'
a book that tweaks the existing model lines by either adding:
armywide -1 rend on primary weapons; or, armywide ability to flee from combat (like Grundstok Thunderers in KO) 
lower bravery on Glade Guard, hit on 3+, drop the Peerless Archery special rule. 

I'd probably keep everything else the same. 

• Like 2

sorry for a late reply, but my phone was stolen.

anyway I want hawk (or hawk-like) riding aelf cavalry and I think it would soot wanderers nicely as the long range recon/skirmish unit in the lore and superfast flying archers that can pack a punch in melee (but due to hollow bones are very fragile for a cavalry unit)

a forest dragon/dragon-like behemoth would be great aswell as war dancers (with the potential for 4 different themes in each unit box you could have 4 types with a single kit)

for more original ideas (for wood aelves) I would have Puma riders (as elegant pumas and leopards fitt the hunter-stalker idea of wanderers), you could also have a long-necked large beast of burden turned war platform (think those long necked trunked things from ice age given an AOS twist) and packs of Hyaenodon-like beasts are all ideas I have

• Like 1

I really wish they’d do something for Wanderers too. Other than missing a behemoth, it’s got a good selection of units and a Leader:Unit ratio that makes chills run down my legs (Fyreslayers, just why?). I don’t really want more than just one behemoth, and would rather a leader who was Lord-Celestant on Dracoth size, just to build up this idea that they use hit/run guerrilla tactics.

Then there’s the lore. Let’s be honest, wandering elves isn’t enough. We have to go into why, and to be honest, it’s not really Warhammer unless it’s a little grimdark.

Okay. As the Age of Chaos ramped up, the Wanderers fought side by side with Alarielle. They fought bravely and almost never had losses, using guerilla tactics. Soon, they also started getting more and more help from the forest itself, Dryads, Kurnoth hunters, etc. They were fighting back, but it was strange to see these once hostile trees fighting alongside them, and they seemed to be losing more and more of their ranks.

Then Sigmar found out the truth (thanks to some crafty Tzeentchian plotting) and told them: Alarielle had been taking elf souls and turning them into the tree people.  Horrified to learn the truth, the Wanderers slipped away from the fighting. Sigmar took pity on them, and knowing without them Ghyran would fall, offered them a place in Azyr. Alarielle, not knowing the Aelves had left her, began to search for her children, knowing not where they had gone. With the realm nearly lost though, she slipped into her hiding place, hoping to remain undiscovered from Nurgle.

• Like 1

So, Beastgrave was teased on Open Day! Hopeful speculation on where Wanderers could go.

AoSOpenDay-Jul20-Shadows7rgnd.jpg

So, first off, looks like the box is going to be Wanderers (On the left) versus Beasts of Chaos (On the right). In the video, you get a glimpse of what looks to be the silhouette of a centaur - and notice that the Archer has Satyr legs. I'm thinking that they'll take the Wanderers range, add new models based off of Satyrs and Centaurs and throw in a new Orion model, and call it the Wild Hunt. If they don't do it, I will. In Fantome form.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

I'm thinking that they'll take the Wanderers range, add new models based off of Satyrs and Centaurs and throw in a new Orion model, and call it the Wild Hunt. If they don't do it, I will. In Fantome form.

I've been trying to dream up a Destruction army of Wild Hunt (probably spelled Wyld Hunnt because GW) for years now so I will read your fan tome.

• Like 1

If the silhouette in the Beastgrave trailer is a Centaur, I'm wondering if some of the souls that have escaped from Slaanesh are Wanderer souls and have been resurrected by a God, possibly Kurnoth, by merging them with beasts, aka Morathi for the snake ladies and Khinerai.

If so, I'd love to see some winged Wanderers; not like the Khinerai, but true Aelves with the feathered wings of an eagle.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am assuming that things like the centaurs might be less a "tainted by Slaanesh like the DoK" thing and more a "magic twisted to help us survive" deal closer to the water and beast magic of the Idoneth. There is fluff, if memory serves, that the Wanderers have been somewhat left behind/spurned by Alarrielle for not fighting as hard as they could for her is there not? What if then the Wanderers - either through their own layline magic/druidcraft/sorcery or through the help of Kurnoth or a similar power - have chosen to twist a few of their number into shapes better suited to running amongst the wilds and laylines, the better to survive beyond the good graces of the Everqueen?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MaatithoftheBrand said:

I am assuming that things like the centaurs might be less a "tainted by Slaanesh like the DoK" thing and more a "magic twisted to help us survive" deal closer to the water and beast magic of the Idoneth. There is fluff, if memory serves, that the Wanderers have been somewhat left behind/spurned by Alarrielle for not fighting as hard as they could for her is there not? What if then the Wanderers - either through their own layline magic/druidcraft/sorcery or through the help of Kurnoth or a similar power - have chosen to twist a few of their number into shapes better suited to running amongst the wilds and laylines, the better to survive beyond the good graces of the Everqueen?

I agree that this is a possibility.  Alarielle and the Sylvaneth do still remember that the Wanderers did retreat to Azyr during the Age of Chaos, leaving them to fight on alone.  The Wanderers at that time were being wiped out by Nurgle's Rot and had no cure or protection from it, so really had no choice.  As a Druidic/shamanistic culture, it is possible that some chose to remain behind and, as the Idoneth did for their soul-rot, looked to their magics to find resistance or cure to Nurgle's Rot.  Through trial and experimentation, this may have ultimately led to a gradual change in shape over many generations (the Age of Chaos was a long time ago  even for Aelves).  So what we could be seeing is the re-emergence of more feral Wanderer Tribes descended from those who did not retreat to Azyr, but fought on in the Realms.  Some have changed more dramatically than others, depending on their lineage.

• Like 2

I would love to see a Baccanalian take on the Wardancers, with revellers, satyrs, and acrobatic wardancers. You could make a troop of new wardancer sculpts look really amazing, like the old direct order ones at the very least. Then satyrs could form the elite troops, centaurs the shock troops or cavalry, and have nymphs and sorceresses as the heroes. Some sort of Avatar of Kurnous or Orion would be the perfect god of the Wild Hunt.

• Like 1

Winged aelfs have been rumored for awhile, but I think most speculated they'd be 'light aelfs' and a replacement or addition to the old High Elfs. Eagle hybrids are a much cooler idea than angel aelfs.  I like the centar idea, especially centars with bows being ridden by Aelfs with bows!
I mostly hope I can still use my archers and basic theme after the new release. As long as I can do that everything new will be a big bonus.

• Like 1

I'm super excited about getting satyr and centaur elves. Making them a destruction faction would actually be an interesting move. 
I think I'd still prefer if they were tied to Alarielle/Kurnoth/Orion, but I'm not against the idea. 
Kurnoth could be a more feral god, and we could get a new Orion model. But then having Kurnoth hunters, Wild Riders, Arch Revenants in different factions could feel weird. They are all linked a bit too much to be spread across 3 factions and/or 2 grand alliances. 

I dunno how much of the existing range is still going to be viable. I like elves riding stags, and eternal guard / wildwood rangers kit is nice, as are some of the old wood elf heroes. Everything else could use a refresh or be replaced. 

Excited to see the new models, but I'm not a fan of that cat/lion thing that was revealed a while ago. 

ciao a tutti, sono relativamente nuovo ad AoS e mi sono subito innamorato dei vagabondi, volevo chiederti se pensi che ci sia il pericolo che GW porti via i viandanti dopo quello che hanno detto (l'arrivo di Cities of Sigmar lo fa significa che una manciata di unità Ordine lascerà la gamma e diventerà Warhammer Legends alla fine di quest'anno) o aggiornerà queste unità, cambiando quelle vecchie in metallo con i nuovi modelli. Ho letto che i viandanti sono venduti molto bene, sai se può influenzare il riavvio del gioco? grazie e scusa per la lunghezza o per errori di scrittura, sono italiano:)

hi all, I am relatively new to AoS and I immediately fell in love with wanderers aelf, I wanted to ask you if you think there is a danger that GW will take away the wanderers after what they said (The arrival of Cities of Sigmar does mean a handful of Order units will be leaving the range and becoming Warhammer Legends later this year) or upgrade these units, changing old metal ones with new models. I read that the wanderers are sold very well you know if it can affect the restailing in the game? thanks and sorry for the length or writing errors I am Italian :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cafarom89 said:

hi all, I am relatively new to AoS and I immediately fell in love with wanderers aelf, I wanted to ask you if you think there is a danger that GW will take away the wanderers after what they said (The arrival of Cities of Sigmar does mean a handful of Order units will be leaving the range and becoming Warhammer Legends later this year) or upgrade these units, changing old metal ones with new models. I read that the wanderers are sold very well you know if it can affect the restailing in the game? thanks and sorry for the length or writing errors I am Italian :)

I think Wanderers are looking very safe right now. Not only were their units prominently displayed for the free cities book, but the new Underworlds teaser has what looks like Centaur/Satyr Aelves with Wild Rider/Wardancer styling.

That said, odds are at least a few of the metal/finecast hero kits are likely to be retired, and I wouldn't put much faith in Glade Guard either.

• Like 1

I love that Cantaur/Satyr thing. I think it would be cool if they combine the existing range with new models, such as Centaur shock troops, Elite Satyrs, Centaur AND Satyr heroes, a new Satyr troops choice, and maybe an Orion hero. Wanderers and magical creatures and call it the Wild Hunt!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madmac said:

I think Wanderers are looking very safe right now. Not only were their units prominently displayed for the free cities book, but the new Underworlds teaser has what looks like Centaur/Satyr Aelves with Wild Rider/Wardancer styling.

That said, odds are at least a few of the metal/finecast hero kits are likely to be retired, and I wouldn't put much faith in Glade Guard either.

considering glade guard are the only normal aelves with bows GW still makes (sisters and shadow warriors aren't generic enough) and gneric-ish aelves are very popular in all fantasy games especially for new players I doubt they will go away (at the veryleast they should stick with the cities tome)

what if we only saw 1 faction in those pictures and those aelf-animal hybrids are beastmen aelves (who is to say aelves in the mortal realms can't suffer beastmen mutations), but wander spin off does sound more likely although the rangers and what looks like eternal guard are in the cities tome and thus potentially will be taken away from any beast focused wanderer faction?

21 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

considering glade guard are the only normal aelves with bows GW still makes (sisters and shadow warriors aren't generic enough) and gneric-ish aelves are very popular in all fantasy games especially for new players I doubt they will go away (at the veryleast they should stick with the cities tome)

Perhaps, but they're also quite old models (6th edition) and out of scale with the rest of the Wanderers. And removed from the webstore as of now.

It's possible they come back, but if you asked me to pick a single Wanderer unit (not hero) that may not make the cut, Glade Guard would be first on the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmac said:

Perhaps, but they're also quite old models (6th edition) and out of scale with the rest of the Wanderers. And removed from the webstore as of now.

It's possible they come back, but if you asked me to pick a single Wanderer unit (not hero) that may not make the cut, Glade Guard would be first on the list.

Glade guard are still there. I'm seeing Lion Rangers as gone, but nothing else seems to have vanished yet.

8 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Glade guard are still there. I'm seeing Lion Rangers as gone, but nothing else seems to have vanished yet.

They're Sold Out on the US store, but still available in the UK.  If they slowly get removed from other countries, that will be the end.