Major (up to 67%) price increases again. This time on online exclusives.

Zanzou

What bothers me the most is that, these hikes are usually announced by GW and they did not this time. We saw some leaks from distributors who got notified but no open communication from GW to their customers about it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was planning out a Skaven army, the leaked price list showed my army would cost me about $10 more, so I didn’t rush out to buy it. The next day the price went up $118, meaning the average price increase was a little over 16%... and as a result I will likely not do the army since now the price at discount is higher than the MSRP was a week ago.

I’m not really complaining about it, but as someone who was starting to stick their toe back into GW games*, it serves as a reminder of their policies and why I stopped playing to begin with (as well as my army being FAQ’d into uselessness).

*Their main products anyhow, Blood Bowl and Necromunda don’t seem to suffer the same, and are still very enjoyable.

Edited by thediceabide
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

I'm not targeting anyone in particular but there seem to be a lot of apologists for GW on this forum. 

Why defend them? GW are making record profits yet now decide to push up prices on a scale we've never seen before. 

Paints, start collecting, existing kits, forge world... None of us benefit from these continual price increases. 

I think while none of us benefit, its still a personal choice wether we are willing to support their price increase or not. 

Apparently up until now increasing prices has only increased their profits, and from a company who's main purpose of existing is to make money, its just extra cash.

I heavily question the morality behind such decicions though.  Also in other games/companies like MtG, where product price was doubled or even tripled for certain things. I dont think to keep going up is a sustainable business model. What you want to aim for is customer stickiness, and I think they are trading for short term profit instead of long term customers.

As a hobbyist that is already invested in the hobby I'll likely continue buying their products from time to time, but right now I'm only spending about 20 euro a month on GW products, while in the past I would eagerly put aside 60 up to 300 on some occassions.

I am losing trust in GW as a company due to their constant cost increases and making old stuff obsolete, wether on purpose by discontinueing products or accidentally as a by-product of bad rule design (which may subjectively also be on purpose).

As of right now though, I have not seen any company making miniatures as detailed as they do (lore wise as well), so they got such a tight monopoly on the wargaming industry with the quality of stuff they put out, it'll be hard for anyone to step up and compete at their level. Which makes it look grim to me that prices will ever come down.

And all this is coming from a person living in europe. I cant imagine how people feel in the US, new zealand, etc. 

I do fear that more people will reach out to recasted stuff as a result as well. I am a GW purist and own zero recasts, but I've seen people shamelessly buy recasted stuff at locals a lot. I bet there will be even more now.

Edited by Kugane
Recalculated my average spendings on GW. I overestimated my original number.
  • Like 3

My thing is about the communication, it's a negative experience when stuff like this just pops up with no warning.  Especially since they actually gave a heads up for a price increase not too long ago.

Edited by relic456
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

Seriously though as and when the company repatriates cash from our former colonies and neighbours back into the UK they're going to be taking an ever increasing hit which at some point is going to have a knock on effect and this could be that.

I'm not sure you quite understand how currency conversions work...the lower the pound goes the MORE money GW make from their overseas customers not less.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thediceabide said:

I was planning out a Skaven army, the leaked price list showed my army would cost me about $10 more, so I didn’t rush out to buy it. The next day the price went up $118, meaning the average price increase was a little over 16%... and as a result I will likely not do the army since now the price at discount is higher than the MSRP was a week ago.

I’m not really complaining about it, but as someone who was starting to stick their toe back into GW games*, it serves as a reminder of their policies and why I stopped playing to begin with (as well as my army being FAQ’d into uselessness).

*Their main products anyhow, Blood Bowl and Necromunda don’t seem to suffer the same, and are still very enjoyable.

While we’re on the topic of terrible policies- Let me know if you’d like to buy one of my two discontinued infinity factions haha

47 minutes ago, relic456 said:

My thing is about the communication, it's a negative experience when stuff like this just pops up with no warning.  Especially since they actually gave a heads up for a price increase not too long ago.

Previously, it was leaks because they had to communicate it to resellers. For webstore exclusives, they did not need to.

I had a feeling something like this might happen, so I purchased a few models. As foresight would have it, these models were the least affected by the price hike (Demis, Outriders, Greatswords, and holding off on rocket/volley guns, crossbowmen and guard).

It seems the increase was mostly in the cheapest troops (for Freeguild). Which is odd, because these are the most easily replaced by third party ones.

Also quite a distinction between cogmasters and gunmasters, the former went up 74% if I recall correctly, the latter 0%. Then the cannon/organ gun did not go up, and the rockets/volley gun did.

Edited by zilberfrid

6 minutes ago, FlatTooth said:

While we’re on the topic of terrible policies- Let me know if you’d like to buy one of my two discontinued infinity factions haha

Well at least Corvus bell had communicated with the community before hand  about them being discontinued and say why they did it.

56 minutes ago, Karragon said:

I'm not sure you quite understand how currency conversions work...the lower the pound goes the MORE money GW make from their overseas customers not less.

Hahaha, ****** hell of course you are 100% correct, a mistake made all the worse by the fact I own a UK company but live in Belgium and have spent the past couple of years obsessively watching the currency rate whilst freaking out about how much my savings are being gimped. Just goes to show Brexit will make idiots of us all.

• Haha 2

Only on TGA could you find people defending GW for price rises.

3 hours ago, azdimy said:

What bothers me the most is that, these hikes are usually announced by GW and they did not this time. We saw some leaks from distributors who got notified but no open communication from GW to their customers about it

General price rises across the line haven't been announced for years. The last one I remember being called out prior was about twelve years ago in White Dwarf. The paints and SC(!) are the exception to the rule.

Anyway, they've managed to price me out of Fyreslayers. The cost of Hearthguard was already silly (£100 for twenty), but now this coupled with the already expensive characters, that you can no longer get at discounters like Element Games, has done it for me. I doubt it's a coincidence that they were hiked just as they proved one of the most powerful options. I genuinely and naively thought with the way some of the Idoneth were priced versus Fyreslayers (Vulkites versus Namarati etc)) they'd realised how they'd managed to pretty much sink a faction based on cost.

Luckily, I have pretty much everything I need for 40k. My Fantasy 'Dispossessed' will see me through fine, as will Underworlds, unless there's a pretty major and "Must have" reveal at the Open Day. I did really want to do more on those Fyreslayers, but alas.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

General price rises across the line haven't been announced for years. The last one I remember being called out prior was about twelve years ago in White Dwarf. The paints and SC(!) are the exception to the rule.

Anyway, they've managed to price me out of Fyreslayers. The cost of Hearthguard was already silly (£100 for twenty), but now this coupled with the already expensive characters, that you can no longer get at discounters like Element Games, has done it for me. I doubt it's a coincidence that they were hiked just as they proved one of the most powerful options. 

Look at the post just above mine, they announded the last price increase in a community article earlier this year. Like this one, it is not a general price increase.For some reason I belwive they ve always announce price increase in the past or maybe I just knew it was around june every year so I would vuy what I needed prior to the new price coming up. I personnally didn t really care they announced a few penny increase on paint but failing to mention this one is infuriating 

2 minutes ago, azdimy said:

Look at the post just above mine, they announded the last price increase in a community article earlier this year. Like this one, it is not a general price increase.For some reason I belwive they ve always announce price increase in the past or maybe I just knew it was around june every year so I would vuy what I needed prior to the new price coming up. I personnally didn t really care they announced a few penny increase on paint but failing to mention this one is infuriating 

Read my post again. Like I said, Paints and Start Collecting(!) announcements were the exception, not the rule, which is what the above post is about.

Whilst not everything got a hike, a massive amount of stuff did, and FW also got a 5% kick up the rear. That's what I'd consider a 'general' rise.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 1

GW is a business. They raise their prices how they see if. The adage if you don't like it don't buy it applies. 

You can voice your opinion but vote with your dollar. Being a business they need to take care of their shareholders and owe nothing really to the "community" if sales start dropping they will change but outside of that nothing will change. 

I doubt they just randomly chose this to increase along with everything else. It could be brexit protection in their pricing or it could be just to meet their sales targets they have internally set. Not being part of the company we can only speculate. 

But to reiterate GW owes you nothing... They want to keep your business only because you generate bottom line. They do not care what project you were working on or how much money you have as disposable income. They care about their business and making it successful. 

• Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

You can voice your opinion but vote with your dollar.

To be fair, I don't think anyone in this thread planned on actually paying for Acolytes at this point lol. 

34 minutes ago, Ryan Taylor said:

But to reiterate GW owes you nothing...

I also don't think this is a revelation to anyone in this thread/hobby.  But just speaking for myself, I wouldn't have chimed in to this thread  at all if they had done what they did with the SC and paint price hike.  You just feel more respected as a customer y'know? Helps obfuscate the truth of the relationship a bit.

Similarly, I'm not one for conspiracy theories but the Bloodthirster price hike and corresponding points drop is also a bad look. Certainly encourages looking at buying elsewhere, if just on principle, which personally I wouldn't have considered if there was a heads up message. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Similarly, I'm not one for conspiracy theories but the Bloodthirster price hike and corresponding points drop is also a bad look. Certainly encourages looking at buying elsewhere, if just on principle, which personally I wouldn't have considered if there was a heads up message. 

Or they were simplifying their pricing model so every Greater Daemon is $140 USD.

By the looks of this thread no one was buying Acolytes even at $12. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Taylor said:

Or they were simplifying their pricing model so every Greater Daemon is $140 USD.

Oh yeah, the logical side of my brain agrees with you.  Its just that little skeptical voice in the back of my head saying "wait a minute...".  Regardless, I still think it's bad optics, but what can you do.

• Like 1

I’m with the people saying there should have been an announcement. GW went hard on the community contact and it rubs me the wrong way when companies only do it for the positives. That way it feels like a marketing scheme instead of community management*

They have proven themselves to be able to communicate bad news (sylvaneth delay, SC price change for example) so that they didn’t do so here... automatically makes me think they could not figure out how to communicate it. And if you can’t communicate a choice it’s usually the wrong one. 

*which in itself is a marketing tool I know I know ;) difference between tool and scheme is how I could best separate them. 

21 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Oh yeah, the logical side of my brain agrees with you.  Its just that little skeptical voice in the back of my head saying "wait a minute...".  Regardless, I still think it's bad optics, but what can you do.

The logical part of my brain says... okay fair enough but then why aren’t all 10 man battle line units, etc etc, the same price.

+++ MOD HAT +++

Just going to put up my usual comment here folks.  If you want to rant - take it elsewhere.

Appreciate it's frustrating when prices of anything goes up however no company is under any obligation to give us notice when something goes up and us moaning* on a forum isn't going to do anything other than increase our blood pressure.

* I appreciate not everybody was moaning, I am generalising a bit here 

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1