Major (up to 67%) price increases again. This time on online exclusives.

Zanzou

Some increases were as little as 10%, but many were inexcusable increases of up to 67%, varying by region.

Skryre Acolytes in Canada jumped from 12 dollars to 20 dollars per model.  That means one 60-point unit (5 man) of Skryre Acolytes now costs 100 dollars CAD.  These are old metal models, btw.

Last time, I shared my response to the price increase but the thread got deleted 😄.  So instead, what's your response?

Edited by Zanzou

6 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I don't get it.

If you see an overpriced cake do you open reddit to complain about the cake or do you just walk on and ignore the cake?

I do not consider price gouging most of the items of our main hobby in a single week to be equivalent to "seeing a [random] overpriced cake".

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2

Metal models.  Not something they make on a large volume at all and has always been labor intensive.  They are obviously having to bump prices to cover costs, alternative would be to put up entire ranges to cover the loss on models 99% people wont buy.

6 minutes ago, stato said:

Metal models.  Not something they make on a large volume at all and has always been labor intensive.  They are obviously having to bump prices to cover costs, alternative would be to put up entire ranges to cover the loss on models 99% people wont buy.

First of all, they did increase costs over most of the entire range at this point (examine all of the online exclusive increases, there are countless. Many of the in-store models as you know were just increased up to 25% as well this week.   This is coming after the increase to paints/ SC.)

A SIXTY SEVEN percent increase to afford the same models they have always made? I don't really know how to respond to that.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

A SIXTY SEVEN percent increase to afford the same models they have always made? I don't really know how to respond to that.

A SIXTY SEVEN percent increase to...  continue to be able to purchase a model that they would likely otherwise ditch from the range. 

There is a possible alternative for you.

14 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

I don't get it.

If you see an overpriced cake do you open reddit to complain about the cake or do you just walk on and ignore the cake?

That's an odd thing to say.  By that logic, no one is allowed to bring something up for discussion.  Isn't discussion the whole purpose for a forum?

7 minutes ago, stato said:

A bump like this seems stupid.  In this case, 60 dollars CAD was way too much to make one unit and now with the price increase, it's 100 dollars.  Taking a quick glance over the "Online Exclusive", it's easy to notice a bump in a lot of prices that are larger than what the spreadsheet showed for in store items.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, the_master288 said:

That's an odd thing to say.  By that logic, no one is allowed to bring something up for discussion.  Isn't discussion the whole purpose for a forum?

The tone was way more provocative then a discussion.

I mean, start a petition or write directly to GW customers service; venting on TGA isn't really helping to reduce the price, isn't it? That's not a debate, that's a dart throwing post. But maybe I just cannot understand the written english nouances/ irony... not my mother tongue, sorry.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Some increases were as little as 10%, but many were inexcusable increases of up to 67%, varying by region.

Skryre Acolytes in Canada jumped from 12 dollars to 20 dollars per model.  That means one 60-point unit (5 man) of Skryre Acolytes now costs 100 dollars CAD.  These are old metal models, btw.

Last time, I shared my response to the price increase but the thread got deleted 😄.  So instead, what's your response?

Ironically I haven't even heard of people running the actual Skryre models on account of them being so expensive. I don't know what all goes into producing these minis and what not but I feel they either trying to wring everything they can out of the one rich lazy guy who buys them instead of proxies them or they're trying to make sure no one buys them...for reasons...

I'll chime in my usual spiel about price increases in this hobby: You can live just fine without GW minis, don't buy if them if they aren't worth it. It's not the end of the world. I will also say that major price increases and a bungling of one of my armies in the new GBH (Nurgle) have made me more hesitant in buying GW stuff.  I'm still having fun playing AOS and plan on finishing up my Gloomspite army but I'm keeping an eye open for other miniature wargames now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Overread said:

The problem is they've priced a "Troop" type model at an elite slot, likely because the price on them has moved them into that kind of slot in buying anyway. 

Yeah the difference is so extreme that it feels like they're making each model like a hero/leader.  The grot warboss was also increased 67% from 12 to 20 CAD but at least it is a single model unit.  

Sadly that means acolytes are 20 dollars just for 12 points worth of a 60 point unit.

Edited by Zanzou

The price increases are getting a bit out of hand though. I mean, nobody is forced to buy stuff at this price, but with little disposable income its starting to get increasingly difficult to maintain the hobby.

I hope sales (and as a result profits) will go down a bit so they can reflect on their action.

But oh well. :) We'll see.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Kugane said:

The price increases are getting a bit out of hand though. 

How many prices rises did those models get in the last 5 years, thought this was the only one?  

Have their been any products that have had multiple increases, paints are only ones i can think of?

10 minutes ago, Kugane said:

The price increases are getting a bit out of hand though. I mean, nobody is forced to buy stuff at this price, but with little disposable income its starting to get increasingly difficult to maintain the hobby.

I hope sales (and as a result profits) will go down a bit so they can reflect on their action.

But oh well. :) We'll see.

I do sympathise with the "you don't have to buy it" argument HOWEVER, the GW hobby is entirely insular and exclusive. GW don't support 3rd party models, don't allow them in their stores or competition. If it was an open system with competing models, it would be fine. If you're a narrative or open play player, it doesn't matter- just use any old models. If you're competitive, it does matter to a point because GW models are the only models you can use. 

That's why systems like frostgrave are such a breath of fresh air- zero model prescriptions. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Given that these are older metal models I can't image them staying on the store much longer.  They're probably going to be discontinued soon and this price rise is the last step before that.

They might not even be making new ones, just selling stored stock.

7 minutes ago, stato said:

How many prices rises did those models get in the last 5 years, thought this was the only one?  

Have their been any products that have had multiple increases, paints are only ones i can think of?

FWIW,  I thought $12 CAD was way too much for one model for a unit that you need 5 to complete.  I see your point, however, when looking strictly at the financial situation, it makes zero sense for GW to tack on THAT much of an increase.  What does it matter if it's been 5 years?  Going off of inflation, something around 10% would be the number.  Even with the economy in Britain, an increase of 67% is nuts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stato said:

I may have missed some price increases, but I've seen prices going up on 4 occassions the past 5 years alone. A lot of stuff has almost doubled in price during that period. Not sure if it was for these specifically.

9 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

I do sympathise with the "you don't have to buy it" argument HOWEVER, the GW hobby is entirely insular and exclusive. GW don't support 3rd party models, don't allow them in their stores or competition. If it was an open system with competing models, it would be fine. If you're a narrative or open play player, it doesn't matter- just use any old models. If you're competitive, it does matter to a point because GW models are the only models you can use. 

That's why systems like frostgrave are such a breath of fresh air- zero model prescriptions. 

Indeed. 

To add to this, a lot of models get discontinued often, leaving you with unuseable stuff, unless your opponent lets you proxy it for something else. Which locally seems to be frowned upon.

I think this combination of prices going up and older models becoming obsolete is quite irritating and makes products feel like a bad investment at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not targeting anyone in particular but there seem to be a lot of apologists for GW on this forum. 

Why defend them? GW are making record profits yet now decide to push up prices on a scale we've never seen before. 

Paints, start collecting, existing kits, forge world... None of us benefit from these continual price increases. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

It's the downside of GW's renewed monopoly in the market. Warmahordes seems to have really declined, as the only alternative to GW, so they're likely not feeling any competition at all, just like the old times. With a monopoly, you're going to get high prices.  At least the SC boxes and battleforces (and apocalypse boxes for 40k) are relatively good value. 

• Sad 1

It's distressing, no infantry unit should cost £50 for a minium unit of five models, especially when they're old human-sized monopose sculpts. Particularly when they are a fairly basic skaven that die like flies.

I get what people are saying about them formerly being an elite unit in WHFB but even if they stayed in that role and weren't shifted to battleline, that's still an ludicrous price. That's Sisters of Battle cost but for a 60 point unit.

There's a reason there are so many folks converting these guys and I'd recommend that you do the same. Frankly you shouldn't have to for a battleline unit but there it is. Is there any other unit that's got as extreme a monetary cost/points cost ratio?

I mean there's some price changes which can be grudgingly put up with in an already insanely expensive hobby but this is a joke.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 2

Well it's ******, obviously, but it's not necessarily just an inflationary correction...

I mean give it 6 more months and the few people in the UK who can afford to still play the game might need to turn up to GW stores with wheelbarrows of cash just to buy a single Grot. 

All before having to dodge real life versions of the Warcry warbands, eager to relieve their victims of their Tetley's teabags and Greggs' sausage rolls, on the way home.

Seriously though as and when the company repatriates cash from our former colonies and neighbours back into the UK they're going to be taking an ever increasing hit which at some point is going to have a knock on effect and this could be that.

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 17.58.57.png

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1