1000 points Free Peoples

Krikke

I'm considering getting into AOS, and one of the armies that sparked my interests are the Free Peoples

Would love your opinions on the following list and what you would change

Freeguild General on foot with Freeguild shield       100 points

Celestial hurricanum  with wizard                              320 points

30 Freeguild Crossbowmen                                         300 points

10 Freeguild Guard with sword/shield

Helstorm rocket battery                                               180 points

I'm honestly not sure about the celestial hurricanum , Its really expensive and other then having a wizard and the +1 to hit, i mostly plan on hiding my general behind it, so he can't be shot down as you wont be able to see him

But for 320 points i can get ALLOT more troops

I went for a Helstorm rocket instead of a cannon for the simple reason that it can target things even if there hiding

Thanks!

Not the most mobile army if you're thinking about matched play, which involves grabbing a lot of objectives, maybe consider dropping the Helstorm (which is a bit redundant with the Hurricanum and artillery doesn't make you many friends) for a unit of Demigryphs or pistoliers, and possibly sticking your general on a horse?

I'd argue that halberds (for the rend) or even militia weapons (for the extra ranged attacks) are a better choice on the Freeguild Guard than swords, but it's mainly up to what you prefer visually. Also there's no reason not to give your general a stately war banner unless you don't feel like modeling one. :) 

I think the swordmen are a great pick, though I'd flip the number of swordsmen and crossbowmen.

The Huricanum is a must in every army selection of mine, while I'm opting for a cannon over other warmachines.

Alternatively you might want a unit with punch such as great swords or demigryphs

Like the others above said, you will benefit a lot from having more mobility. Demigryphs would be a great replacement for the Crossbowmen. 

Also a unit of swordsmen make a great tarpit if taken in bigger numbers. I find units of Halberdiers perform better with their access to rend however. 

Park them near the Hurricanum and apply the generals buff and you have a nice amount of rending attacks hitting on 2's and wounding on 3's. 

The Hurricanum is damn essential as it can generate a dreadful amount of mortal wounds. Even if it rolls low numbers and only inflicts single wounds, it's still useful at withering units or taking out key heros. Meteor before this is very useful at 1000 points too as you elect your target and your opponent probably has very few other units they can spare D6 mortal wounds on. It will attract a lot of attention though so be prepared to use your Guard to screen this. 

If you can find a model, a mounted general costs the same and has extra movement to help keep up with his lines and to pitch in at killing off characters. I find the Lance and Shield to be the best combination of offence and defence. 

Demigryphs tend to underperform slightly on damage, but their huge move and charge and decent save make them very good at counter charging and hold an aggressive unit. A unit held by them can then be peppered by the Hurricanum and shooting to hopefully free the demi's up again for the next charge phase. Units of 3 with a banner only take battleshock if they lose more than 2 models. So make sure the banner is removed last to prevent a painful battleshock loss of the last model. 

I'd consider dropping 20 Crossbows for 3 Demigryphs. The Hellblaster for 20 Halberds and perhaps switching the Crossbows for a unit of Handgunners

Thanks a bunch for the fast replies , i was Rather curius if a Gunline would even work in AOS,

Then again, reading into the generals handbook, allot of the misions need mobile troops

The reason behind the 30 Crossbowmen + the hurricanum was to have 60 shots at 20 inch with a 2+ to hit and a 3+ to wound, causing rend on a 6

Not only that but i can split the attacks of the unit into Two groups of 30 , as you can apparently target different enemy units if your weapon has 2 attacks

( I asked them on there FB page)

Mostly intend to play casual games , so i have a feeling like Double misfire said, i wont have allot of opponents to play after pulling this one ones or twice

@RossMHoward That sounds rather interesting, and wont appear to be that much more powerful and will allow me much more flexibility

I also have some Old Empire Knights models or Reiksguard if you prefer

You're correct in that you can divide shooting attacks between two units. Even two shots from the same weapon. 

And I didn't consider that kind of output from that unit. Actually with the general buffing +1 to wound rolls those crossbows would be rending on 5's(roll of 6) and 6's(roll of 7). 

That's very tasty!

Gun lines can work well in AoS, but usually with a meatshield or tank unit in front of them. At 1,000 points, you don't really have enough bodies to wall off and you're just going to get roflstomped by any infiltrating army (e.g. Sylvaneth, Ghoul Patrol and especially Stormcast) or any Alpha Strike armies (Tomb Kings, Bloodletter Bomb, Beastclaw Raiders and even Gore Gruntas potentially). 

@Nico You mention a Meat shield or tank infront of my ranged unit, how would that work for line of sight?

To come back to the Free people would this mean i can put 10 Greatsword spaced out to the max infront of say the 30 Crossbowmen?

And for Alfa striking, can't i just place two Cryph hounds in my ranks? there 40 points a pop and make it so that anything within 10 Inches of them coming onto the table makes your other units get a free round of shooting against them

here's the pdf https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/warhammer-aos-lordcastellant-en.pdf

I do see your point that at a 1000 point is dammed hard to make a Gun line list

Line of sight is rarely a problem (unless you're hiding behind a Great Unclean One).

Gryph Hounds would work to an extent against the infiltrators but not the alpha strikes. It's also spending yet more points on non-melee units.

Yeah - the greatswords would be your shield, but it's too small a unit to do this job effectively.

@Nico I remember you were banging the drum about Sisters of The Thorn a while back. 

I used them in combination with a Steam Tank and Mystic Shield. The Stank went up against Gordrakk at sat quite happily for 2.5 turns while Gordrakk slowly killed himself. It's a beautiful spell.

@Krikke I'd definitely recommend one as a future purchase

Yeah - your opponent should read the FAQ about how you don't have to attack - then again that wouldn't be very Orruky would it.

Nevertheless even if they don't attack it's still 700(?) points sitting around doing nothing.

16 hours ago, bottle said:

Last thing to add is give the Pheonix Stone artefact to your Hurricanum :-)

You can do that? I never thought about it actually... I was Always giving it to my general who was hanging out with my great swords giving them buffs but not getting hit

Alright then thinking about joining a FRIENDLY AKA leave your cheese at home Campaign , It starts at 1K and moves onward from that , mind you the general or Leader i pick in this group remains the same for the rest of the Campaign

So with that in mind.

Freeguild general shield/horse          100 points

Celestial hurricanum                           320 points

10 Crossbowmen                                 100 points

10 Hanndgunners                                100 points

3 Demigryph Knights                          200 points

10 Freeguild Greatswords                  160 points

Total=                                                  980 points

Any comments ideas would be appreciated

On 2016년 8월 11일 at 1:33 PM, MrCharisma said:

You can do that? I never thought about it actually... I was Always giving it to my general who was hanging out with my great swords giving them buffs but not getting hit

As long as there is a wizard riding on top it has the "hero" keyword and so can take artefacts too :-)

Archived