Lauchon FAQ: now useless???

Acker

So Lauchon got FAQ'ed. There's no movement after the relocation now. But wasn't that the whole point of the spell? I'm confused - it has no synergy with either deathmarch battalion ability or the Mastery of death command trait since they trigger in the beginning of the hero phase. Now it's basically a worse Soulscream Bridge. or am i missing some ability that can use the fact that it moves in the hero phase instead of the movement phase? 

Most abilities that allow you to move models great distances/ set them up close to the opponent is usually restricted to 9" away. Being about to move after the toot toot scoot scoot boat had moved you already was a clear oversight.

My guess is they didn’t play test it much.  Then after release behind the scenes epic player meltdowns must have made for some interesting emails to GW.  Scared the Devs nerfed it into the ground to head off a years worth tournament tears and rage.

I’m just glad they straightened out gravesites for LoG so making 1/4 of the endless spells garbage is acceptable casualties.

I think @Charlo is right in saying that it was an oversight on the warscroll as there aren't many cases where a unit is able to be deployed within 9" of an enemy unit.

Even taking into account the change, Lauchon allows you to shift a unit a massive distance and still allow them to charge.  The comparison to the bridge is fair, but the two spells are quite significantly different.  The bridge has a huge footprint - probably three or four times the size of Lauchon.  Once in place the bridge doesn't move - potentially impeding your own units.  Lauchon also does his stuff in the hero phase and the bridge at the beginning of the movement phase*  Finally the bridge is 20 points more expensive.

* Technically you could Lauchon a unit to a bridge and then send them across the bridge...

13 hours ago, Acker said:

it has no synergy with either deathmarch battalion ability or the Mastery of death command trait since they trigger in the beginning of the hero phase

The endless spells weren't specifically designed to provide synergy with other abilities.  There's also nothing stopping you making your 4" deathmarch move, summoning Lauchon and then moving that unit in the boat.