Scions of the storm ability with battalion during deployment

Sajbiot

Question

I have two questions regarding how Stormcast Eternals allegiance ability Scions of the storm works with a battalion during the deployment phase. This rule text should be of interest: "You can set up one reserve unit in the Celestial Realm for each unit you have set up on the battlefield"

Let's say that I have a 8 unit army list where 4 of them are within a battalion. This gets me down to a minimum of 5 drops, if I choose to deploy it that way.

Question 1

As I have deployed my first unit on the battlefield, when I do my second deployment, can I then deploy the entire battalion in the sky, hence counting it as one unit?

Question 2

If I want to deploy multiple units from my battalion in one drop, can I deploy some of them on the battlefield and some of them in the sky?

Edited by Sajbiot

8 answers to this question

1. No. Since a battalion drop is still multiple units, the restriction still applies.

2. Im unsure but my gut goes with yes. You deploy multiple units at the same time, but you still get to choose where each unit goes. The only part I am unsure about is wether you need to check how many units are on the battlefield before you deploy your battalion or if you can add then during.

Edited by Sedraxis

7 hours ago, Sedraxis said:

1. No. Since a battalion drop is still multiple units, the restriction still applies.

2. Im unsure but my gut goes with yes. You deploy multiple units at the same time, but you still get to choose where each unit goes. The only part I am unsure about is wether you need to check how many units are on the battlefield before you deploy your battalion or if you can add then during.

It seems you do not need units on the field at all. Only the ratio after your deployment matters:

5 hours ago, Isotop said:

It seems you do not need units on the field at all. Only the ratio after your deployment matters:

All I read from that topic is that everyone agrees the rules say it's not allowed but someone knows someone who says differently.

1 hour ago, Sedraxis said:

All I read from that topic is that everyone agrees the rules say it's not allowed but someone knows someone who says differently.

Not everyone agrees and it is an official playtester for the battletome saying differently. I guess this should be reason enough for at least some suspicion, should it not?

13 hours ago, XReN said:

I'm 100% sure said playtester is wrong, It's also not worth arguing at the table since it's written quite clearly imo...

You need to check your On table/SotS ratio every time you set up a unit

I had the same opinion. But it would not be the first time GW worded a rule very badly.