Counting the days till WarCry!!!

Does anybody know if the fella who wrote Hinterlands is associated with Warcry? Last I heard those were the whisperin's.

I'm still not sure where this system will fall on the Narrative/Matched Play spectrum. Given that Underworlds exists as a perfectly robust competitive, sorta-skirmish game for AoS, I'm thinking Warcry will lean more into focusing on campaign rules and progression.

13 minutes ago, soak314 said:

Does anybody know if the fella who wrote Hinterlands is associated with Warcry? Last I heard those were the whisperin's.

I'm still not sure where this system will fall on the Narrative/Matched Play spectrum. Given that Underworlds exists as a perfectly robust competitive, sorta-skirmish game for AoS, I'm thinking Warcry will lean more into focusing on campaign rules and progression.

For what it’s worth because I might be misremembering things. But I’m pretty sure that in a twitch Ben Johnson already said its most similar to kill team and left it at that. 

• Thanks 1

So the last band it looks like is gonna be from Hysh, realm of Light? Interesting to see how they can take a chaotic spin on that, I can picture something Slaanesh-y like corrupted noblemen, would make for a cool contrast to the other warbands.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, Chikout said:

I'm pretty sure we already know exactly what the contents of the starter box are. We will get the first two warbands,  6 harpies,  6 of the strange bird creatures, a bunch of terrain,  a kill team style board and the rules. The price will probably be about £100. 

The terrain and the board can be seen here.images.jpeg.e0ba00f7a684a7c36ef6b6977814ff6a.jpeg

As for the release schedule, I think it will similar to Shadespire with the warbands coming out between now and the beginning of next year.  I am most curious to see what kind of support we see beyond the six warbands. If we are getting NPC monsters there is a great opportunity to add something like a new bullgor,  Cockatrice,  or some other monsters. It really could add an extra dimension to the game.

Depending in how they do the preorders,  we could start seeing rules previews as soon as Monday. 

What size do you think that board is? Same as the Blasted Hallowheart or is it Killzone size? Seems Smaller than the current standard skirmish size of 30”x40”. Looks quite cramped but I guess the terrain spreads everything out a lot.

2 hours ago, soak314 said:

Yes Sam Pearson was definitely involved along with Dave shadespire killteam Sanders. Unfortunately gw always leave the rules preview until the week before preorder. That means we will probably get our first glimpse of the rules on Monday. 

I must say I was surprised to see gw announce the fifth warband yesterday. Why not wait until the open day? It does suggest that the release rate will be faster than we have seen for underworlds or Necromunda . 

Aside from wanting to learn about the rules, I am very curious about the post launch support aside from the six warbands. Will we see new boards and scenery like killteam, new npc monsters (if that is what the harpies are), more warbands, or will we see a completely new box like rogue trader?

Edited by Chikout

7 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Yes Sam Pearson was definitely involved along with Dave shadespire killteam Sanders. Unfortunately gw always leave the rules preview until the week before preorder. That means we will probably get our first glimpse of the rules on Monday. 

I must say I was surprised to see gw announce the fifth warband yesterday. Why not wait until the open day? It does suggest that the release rate will be faster than we have seen for underworlds or Necromunda . 

Aside from wanting to learn about the rules, I am very curious about the post launch support aside from the six warbands. Will we see new boards and scenery like killteam, new npc monsters (if that is what the harpies are), more warbands, or will we see a completely new box like rogue trader?

Cheers for confirmation!

For post launch support, I don't think they're going to go for any more big boxes like the KT Rogue Trader one. As a whole I don't think it was too well received as a product and a ruleset. I think the same is also true for Arena, which is a pity because KT Arena is a damn good system.

I'm not sure about more warbands, but we might get more of the existing factions integrated into the setting. They might get repackaged for warcry along with some terrain, as I feel those sets did really well for both KT and general 40k players.

These alternate ways to play are a great way to push unit choices that are considered sub-par in the main game, and I think GW acknowledges this. KT Orks for example are marketed around the Burnas, and with Elites, the Flash Gitz. Both aren't the best choices for core 40k, but are pretty great in KT.

If you look at the non-chaos factions we have lined up so far from AoS I think the trend is still there. Footslogging Idoneth, FeC knights, the snakegirls from DoK, a big chunk of stormcast + nighthaunt, and just orruks in general could be reinvigorated in a new ruleset made with their less popular units taken into account.

Warcry is the big summer AoS release so I figure they were going to have two weeks build up with minor things released this week; however Sylvanath getting delayed so long got pushed into this slot as well. Plus they've still one more warband to reveal either next week or on the day. So there' still lots to market and get excited about. 

As for launching I think we'll likely see all the teams for sale at launch, or a good number of them at least. The way GW has teased them out I'd have thought any to be released after the launch day wouldn't have been spoilt so early as they have been. Remember when they did games like Necromunda we only saw two gangs before launch as models. Shadspire is mostly the same too, though then GW is always very clear when teasing things which will come "later". 

So Warcry going on launch could be a massive sales event if they've got a core box - terrain - wild monsters and all the warbands appearing on sale at the same time. A real summer blowout to match the 40K Apoc we've just had. Not forgetting that the core box will likely sell well for terrain alone.

• Like 1

I would be absolutely blown away If GW released a complete game (the starter and all supported factions/ terrain/ accessories/etc.) on day one, but I would also be exceedingly happy about it.  I imagine we will get the Starter, The Iron Golems, The Untamed Beasts, the terrain, and the wild monsters on day one. I think two weeks later they will release The  Splintered Fang and the Corvus Cabal, and two weeks from then they will release the Death dudes and the last warband.  Which I would be very happy with.

I think FW (and likely GW) may have learned from Necromunda how not to launch a game. People were really excited for it in my area and when it released played it a lot for a couple weeks......then the lack of faction options got old. The huge lag time on factions and drip feeding of the rules made it so everyone stopped playing and got rid of their stuff over the next few months. It's still a great game at it's core, and now with the combined rules books and all the house gangs out I bet a lot of fun can be had, but releasing a game with little content and not supporting it for a a minimum of three months is not good for the health of a new game.

The Death warband look fantastic and are quite possibly the most "grimdark" models GW has ever made. So far I'm really digging all the Warbands and their aesthetics, each of them looks very unique. I'm really hoping the rules are good, because for all intents and purposes this game is almost if GW asked me to write a list of things I want in a game and they would make it (small table footprint, relatively quick game play, unique factions with a nontypical setting, campaign rules).

I just hope we get more information soon. I need to scratch this chaotic mutation that's been growing on me and this seems like the best way to do it. 

Also, anyone else getting a more lovecraftian cult vibe with the shyish warband? no tentacles, sure, but cruel rites and unspeakable acts inflicted in the name of the dark gods? esoteric rituals involving mutilation? a big tone shift from the Untamed Jocks Beasts that's for sure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

must say I was surprised to see gw announce the fifth warband yesterday. Why not wait until the open day? It does suggest that the release rate will be faster than we have seen for underworlds or Necromunda . 

Well I personally expect a lore day on each faction, the setting and about 3 rules posts (1 for the main games, and then groups of factionss within the context of those rules) and 1 explanation post lore or rules wise how the ‘normal’ factions fit in. 

That would easily fill the time until the 20th. 

Something else I’ve been wondering is that last logo. Sure those warbands are amazing but what if you wanted to field your current Slaves to darkness collection. Good that be the last logo? Seems weird if you can’t bring them.