Wildfire Taurus vs Reapers of Vengeance question

Lord Krungharr

Question

Played my Beasts of Khorne (using Brass Despoilers) vs a Tyrants of Blood Khorne army last Saturday.  I got off Wildfire Taurus from my allied Shaman.  Then in turn 2 I went second, so moved my Taurus,  and it caused a mortal wound to Skarbrand meaning he would have to fight last in the next combat phase (and we're in my enemy's turn). 

So he got the charge off for Skarbrand, and normally he would have to fight last.  But the player used his Reapers of Vengeance command ability and struck with his Rage-Thirster first, and then the Reapers command ability is worded the other Bloodthirsters in the battalion strike immediately after, so his Exalted Thirster struck, and then Skarbrand struck.  He said that takes precedence over the Taurus effect.  Is that correct?   Or did I get hoodwinked?  It's a tough call, as I can see both sides.

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, willange said:

It sounds to me like your opponent was correct.    When two abilities come into conflict, it is the active player who chooses which abilities takes precedence.  However, I'm not familiar with the particular chain of abilities your opponent was using, so I might be disproved by someone else here.

That is not quite correct. In a situation in which two abilities contradict each other, the following ruling takes place:

"Q: If a Wildfire Taurus’ Whirlwind of Destruction ability forces an Idoneth Deepkin unit to fight at the end of the next combat phase, but the High Tide battle trait is in effect, does the unit fight at the start or the end of the combat phase? A: If two abilities that apply to a unit are contradictory and cannot both be applied, the one that was applied second takes precedence. In this case, that means the Idoneth Deepkin unit would fight at the end of the combat phase. Note this only occurs when it impossible to use both abilities. For example, if one ability gave a unit a hit modifier of +1 and another ability gave the same unit a hit modifier of -1, both would be applied (and effectively cancel each other out)."

(https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/age_of_sigmar_beasts_of_chaos_designers_commentary_en.pdf)

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Played my Beasts of Khorne (using Brass Despoilers) vs a Tyrants of Blood Khorne army last Saturday.  I got off Wildfire Taurus from my allied Shaman.  Then in turn 2 I went second, so moved my Taurus,  and it caused a mortal wound to Skarbrand meaning he would have to fight last in the next combat phase (and we're in my enemy's turn). 

So he got the charge off for Skarbrand, and normally he would have to fight last.  But the player used his Reapers of Vengeance command ability and struck with his Rage-Thirster first, and then the Reapers command ability is worded the other Bloodthirsters in the battalion strike immediately after, so his Exalted Thirster struck, and then Skarbrand struck.  He said that takes precedence over the Taurus effect.  Is that correct?   Or did I get hoodwinked?  It's a tough call, as I can see both sides.

The ordering of your actions was correct, since the Reapers of Vengance ability was applied after the ability of the Taurus took place.

I hope this clears things up a bit. In general, always ask your opponent why they are thinking a rule works like they tell you.

• Thanks 1

It sounds to me like your opponent was correct.    When two abilities come into conflict, it is the active player who chooses which abilities takes precedence.  However, I'm not familiar with the particular chain of abilities your opponent was using, so I might be disproved by someone else here.