Why do you like your army?

Malifik

Idoneth Deepkin. My second army was started as an alternative to khorne. I wanted something with low model numbers, fun / excellent models to paint and good to play. I like the fluff, it’s really tragic. They hate what they have to do to survive. I love the fact it’s an army where the creative shackles have come off, someone above said it was good to see GW embrace the insanity of AoS. I agree. It’s refreshing to see an unexpected design direction, it feels more like their old Moorcock roots. I really enjoy the fact I can hum the theme from Jaws when my sharks advance/attack. I very much enjoy the almost infinite number of fish related puns that. Never. Grow. Old. And I especially like it takes about 10 minutes to pack.

and on a final note, I love that. I can mess with the minds of whoever reads this

baby shark do do do do do

baby shark

you are welcome

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@Aden that's Gotrek in the artwork - grab hold of the Gotrek and Felix Omnibus 1 and start your road on the path of the Slayer. Great adventuring tales from the Old World and once you've reached the end of all that you can leap into AoS for Gotrek survives and marches grumpy into the Realms in Realmslayer the audio book (voiced by Brian Blessed)

I love Ironjawz for not allowing me to take myself (or my "generalship")  too seriously. It is impossible to claim strategic potential when you command green simpleton hulks who like to rush forward and smash things. I love orks in general for always being the narrative disruption to the grim worlds GW weaves. There you have almighty Archaon of ultimate badassery and then suddenly an angry ork appears in the story and hand him over his ass. Twice. What's not to like 😃

That' actually what makes me struggle with my other army, Nighthaunt. These guys are way too serious, way too grim. But I love to play them for their non-straightforward playstyle (very refreshing after the linear IJ) and I absolutely love the models. 

The Stormcast Eternals just look cool and are pretty powerful, also they have lots of units and heroes to choose from.

Blades of Khorne are heavy metal incarnate. 

Nighthaunt get to walk through obstacles, charge, retreat and do it again next turn; plus look really cool.

Disciles of Tzeentch have it all, with shooting, magic, flying and the extra dice pool. 

Slaves to Darkness I can mixing in with either my Khorne or Tzeentch for added variety and options.

Beasts of Chaos - I really liked how they were the manifistation of Chaos and just wanted to tear down Order and ****** because why not. They also somewhat resemble Vikings which I'm a huge fan of. Savages running around rampant through new territories and leaving ruin in their wake. Unfortunately I just didn't like how they played on the table and I felt I was forced down 2 different routes: Tzaangors or painting roughly 200 Ungors. Neither path was a choice for me. I was also really disappointed that Gargants, Chimeras etc. weren't more viable. I wish the monsters played a bigger aspect in the faction.

Slaanesh - I really just wanted a new army after my distaste of how Beasts of Chaos actually played on the table. I was really close to picking Fyreslayers because they were new/updated, but they were too much alike imo. All of them half naked fiery dwarves. I was afraid of a burnout from the painting. Slaanesh was announced and I instantly fell in love with the whole "pain and pleasure" deal. I feel like every week theres a new list doing really well at tournaments etc and the army doesn't feel pigeonholed one route or another. You can focus on multiple Keepers and tons of heroes. You can go crazy with Daemonettes. There is the Depraved Drove which includes BoC (hey I can use my previous army with the new one!) etc. Really refreshing to have a different army every week. The new sculpts are amazing - Absolutely love the Keeper etc. I was a bit afraid that the faction would somewhat suck because Slaanesh has been a bit abandoned in the past but hey - Guess it didn't turn out too bad after all!

Sucker for Destruction. Love the aspect of cunningly brutal but brutally kunnin', the Gorkamorka lore and devotees of Mork, or was it Gork? I started with Ironjawz because the models are amazing, pretty elite brutish units, straight forward, but not easy to master. Then the Gloomspite release came and I was all over them, playing in masses of scittering, scuttling spiders or dorky squigs and hooded insane cowards, suddenly I had magic und sneaky strategies to my disposal. (Ogors and Troggoths are alright and pretty cool looking on the tabletop, but Orks da best!) I even started a Orks and Gretchin kill team, because there is not much AOS in my area.

I was always fascinated by elves. Dark elves draw my attention, claiming they are the most cultivated culture, based on  known killing methods.

The Khainite cult in special: Blood crazed elves, rampaging through their own towns one night a year and of course Morathi, the Queen of Scheeming and self sustain.

also own IDK because of weird Aelves, Sylvaneth as spirit tree elf (just wonderful models) and Slaanesh (every Aelf has a special bond with the dark prince)

Daemons of Khorne (I hate mortals who aren’t Slaves {See below})

Ranging from small hell hounds and demons to demons on juggernauts and cannons, and even skyscraper demons, you just can’t go wrong, especially when you have a combo that could let 3 bloodthirsters fight all at once even in your opponents turn before they can do anything about it.

I normally win my games (the only times I lose is when I play anywhere not at my club) and thrash my opponents to matter who or what. (Sometimes I throw my Slaves in with them)

Slaves to Darkness

You can’t go wrong with insane warriors who have been around since Fantasy who give their souls for eternal warfare and devotion to bloodthirsty Khorne, plague ridden Nurgle, see-the-future-where-I-win-eventually Tzeentch, or Slaanesh. (Queens of Sex)

When you make an unbreakable wall, stop opponents while your heroes and what not steal objectives, and your opponents just want to try and beat you up in combat, same with my daemons, I stand yet unbeaten. (Again, counting only club games)

Out of next armies, I would either choose Wanderers or Nighthaunt, and for top 3 least favourite armies, Nagash-Lose-To-My-Fist-In-Your-Face, The sexy Slaanesh superstars of nothing, or any Orruk army

I like Dispossessed because I like the idea of stubborn angry duardin who have basically lost everything but are too stubborn and angry to just die off, join the Grimnir cult, or go into the sky. They sit stewing in their collective anger and have to put up with Aelves and Men for centuries living together in a single city. Finally Sigmar opens the gate and the entire Dispossessed people gather in throngs ready to finally get their revenge against Chaos. They have been waiting for this day their entire lives. Marching from Azyr is an army of pissed off duardin with nothing left to lose. They show Chaos no mercy and tear down anything with the taint of Chaos. From the ashes of the obliteration Chaos bastions come the start of new settlements and strongholds of Order. The Dispossessed are not super warriors with god powers, they are not magical beings who sling spells at their enemies, they are not technologically advanced sky kings. The Dispossessed are a broken people hellbent to reclaim what was theirs. They survive on hate and grudges. I think Dispossessed best exemplify the people of Order reclaiming the Mortal Realms.  All cities start with them and their building of them. I hope Dispossessed get a battletome soon, they would be very interesting to see fleshed out. 

• Like 6

As my post history shows, I keep falling in and out of live with models, impulse buying armies and then mournfully selling them on.

I have settled on a couple of armies.

Stormcast - because I tend to play evil horde armies in 40k. So a heavily armoured, kinda elite bunch of good guys appeals. I love paladins. 

I like they way that their reforming is a flip on the "die well be rewarded with Valhalla or Daemonhood" schtick.

Plus, i wanted a Jack of all trades army.

Finally, i tended to avoid Space Marines which meant I didn't get to use all those SM 2player starter sets.

DoK...because I have always loved Dark Elves. The army combines that love while drawing on themes that remind me of the old stop-motion Ray Harry Hausen movies. Plus..I have a fondness for religious nutters I  fames.

Which leads me to my most recent acquisition: Bonesplitterz.  I love the models. Much better than the 40k orks. Just looking at their little faces makes me grin.

I read their BT and  rather than this killing my interest (which is what happened with Fyreslayers)., I was even more excited for the army.

I am busy painting them up now in the Hope's.of actually putting a fully *painted* army into battle for the first time in AoS

I have several armies, and like them all for slightly different reasons, although a lot of those boil down tot he models being awesome, or looking fun to paint.

A lot of the time I will invest in an army because I like the theme, or the culture it draws inspiration from. I really like factions with a very clear aethetic, which I know that I will enjoy painting. I'd also been playing Lord of the Rings and 40K for a while before picking up WFB, so that meant that I often went with stuff which would contrast with what I already had. LOTR gave me plenty of europeanish models, so I went for more "exotic" cultures which Warhammer had available. I also had a tonne of Orks from 40k, so although I love them dearly they weren't a high priority for my fantasy collection.

As far as the specific armies go:
In the beginning were the Lizardmen, I needed some for a D&D game, and was impressed to find just how large and varied the range was for something which I would have expected to be fairly niche. I really like the Aztec theme, as again it was something very different to the LOTR models I was used to painting, and Lizzies are both fun and easy to paint, so it was pretty easy to get carried away in painting them. I've always loved dinosaurs, so really that faction couldn't go wrong for me!

Once I had a solid Lizardmen army I switched to Tomb Kings, since Ancient Egypt had always been my favorite period of history. I loved the aesthetic of the Tomb Kings, and they gave me a different painting challenge, while also being fairly easy. I quickly fell in love with the lore and background to the Tomb Kings. I really liked the fact that they weren't your usual evil undead, but were more of a neutral faction. That sort of nuance really appealed to me, and I had great fun building my collection.

At about the same time I started Dwarves, since those had always been one of my favorite fantasy races, and I'd always said that if I ever started playing Fantasy then I'd do a dwarf army. This grew a bit slower, since compared to the Saurus and Skeletons they were a lot more complex to paint, but I very much enjoyed building up some of the models which I'd been thinking about getting for years! Dwarf models have so much character, and are such cool and imaginative takes on what is usually quite a cliched fantasy race, so it was really cool to build gyrocoptors and miners.

When they cancelled the Tomb Kings I really wanted to finish my second army, and so that basically introduced me to the whole second hand market. In the wake of finishing my Tomb Kings army I wanted a new faction, but didn't massively want to reward GW for getting rid of some of my favourite models, so I used my newfound knowledge of ebay to collect Chaos Dwarves instead! Trying to do this in an affordable manner was a really enjoyable collecting challenge, and so they appealed to all of the different strands of the hobby, not just the painting, modeling and playing.
They appeal to me for a lot of the same reasons described above. They are dwarves, whom i've always had a soft spot for, but also have wacky magic, awesome fire elementals, and a nifty Persian theme, which fit my interest in collecting armies for varied fantasy cultures. They've also got a kind of steampunk thing going on which I enjoy painting.

More recently I've been putting together a Daughters of Khaine force. This is largely due to really liking the look of the Melusai. I've always liked the ancient greek aesthetic, so an army of Gorgons and Harpies really appeals. They've been a nice challenge to paint, as i've gradually gotten better at doing little details.

Other honourable mentions include Kharadron Overlords, because any sort of Steampunk Dwarves are going to appeal and Nighthaunt, because my love of the Undead has not faltered since I completed my TK army.

My oddest army is my Collegiate Arcane force. I decided to try to track down the old wizard models for each colour of magic, and ended up with a force of more than a hundred wizards, including most of the models that have ever been released as Battle Mages. It took over a year to complete the collection, and I'm still in the process of painting them all up, but it will be awesome when I can see an entire arcane faculty arrayed for war. Wizards have always been one of my favorite character classes, so really what's not to like!

Nurgle, cos of the cool models and the lore. Other than that they are rubbish.

The bookkeeping for summoning and the wheel etc.  is tedious. They are slow unless you jump through a load of hoops and they don’t kill anything.

Sorry this is becoming why I don’t like my army.

• Like 1

Legion Of Azgorh cuz Chaos Dwarfs! And Centaurs! And lots and lots of cannons. Plus the models all look cool as hell.

Seraphon cuz my daughters love to point at them and say "Dinosaurs riding dinosaurs!"

Order Draconis cuz it is a one-trick pony army and sometimes that is all my brain can handle.

Beast Of Chaos cuz I've always loved their models and aesthetic and laying ambushes.

I'll report back on the Tempest's Eye army I'm building.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a proud noble race that has gradually descended into savagery. They still see themselves as paragons and act in ways that hint at their glorious past, but are monsters who others fear.

Also they're dinosaurs and they wear the skulls of other dinosaurs and that's just the dopest thing ever. 

Edited by Blightzkrieg