Ideas to change the tarpit units and make them uniqe

Tobjen99

Skeleton warriors, zombies, grave guard and chainrasps have been competing about the same role. They all do the same job and the one picked is the moste cost efficent. It would be much cooler if the difference between the units where bigger. 

I want a discussion about these mentioned units and other legion of nagash units. LoN is a year and a half now and we might get a new book since we got the first collection book, we need to give GW good ideas ;)

My thaughts are:

Zombies could for example be more tarpit focused. The abilety that when a hero or gravsite uses their healing ability, heal d6 instead off d3. Then the zombies would be uniqe in the way that they heal faster and can tarpit better. It would also be terrible to play against, so maby not, but it would be so fun!

Grave guard could get some sort of guardian ability. Something like the Necromancers give wounds on a 4+, but instead take wounds from a hero within 3’ on a 4+. Then you could pick grave guard as a guard unit and eaven if skeleton wariors could tank and deal more damage per point, you would have a reason to pick them. 

I have not came to any good ideas for the other units yet so please help :)

I have some inspiration from postes i have seen before on tga.

Edited by Tobjen99
Terrible size on text
  • Like 3

Sssssh, please don’t bring up the Cainwrasps.  They don’t need to be “fixed” like our other stuff.  I really like them as our reasonable priced tanky battleline.  The last think Death players need is GW realizing the unit is functioning correctly at its point cost.

Large Skeleton blocks with spears are probably still our sold attack dice spammers.  It’s gotten a bit murky after fighting reviewed Flyerslayers and Deamonettes.

With that said zombies going tarpit could be really cool.  I know the following is more in-line with the original goofiness of AoS but I’d like them to feel more “horror movie” focus.  Leave them with the crappy stat line but enemy units in combat with zombies are minus one to hit and wound rolls.  If that’s too harsh then only enemy models in range of zombie attacks (1”).

Cool idea on the Grave Guard.  I was hoping for either a more traditional view with wight weapons getting mortal wounds and/or a better shrug-save.

• Like 2

If you want Zombies to be a tarpit unit, why not give them a rule that makes any model they kill rise as a zombie on a 4+ instead of the standard death rules, perhaps even allowing them to go beyond their starting numbers.  That would make them unique and fit the zombie feel.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

If you want Zombies to be a tarpit unit, why not give them a rule that makes any model they kill rise as a zombie on a 4+ instead of the standard death rules, perhaps even allowing them to go beyond their starting numbers.  That would make them unique and fit the zombie feel.  

I wouldn’t even make it a dice roll.   Their stats are so poor anyway it should just be “for every model this unit kills in combat add one more zombie to this unit”.    The ultimate chaff killing unit, your opponent will probably try to move their chaff away to avoid adding to the zombie horde, opening up their non-chaff!

I agree that the warriors and the chainrasps are having different roles, but it is not a big difference and it could be better ;)  

Bothe the Zombie ideas: "for every model  this unit kills in combat add one more zombie to this unit" and "units in combat with zombies get minus one to hit and one to wound", are really good. To make the secound one more realistic it should be "if the unit is 20+.." It could be named overhvelming bodies.

4 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

Leave them with the crappy stat line

?!? 2+\3+\-\1 ?!? 

have the best statline of all the units...  with a vamp, necro and a corpse cart they will kill anything and survive to tell the tale

wolves are fast, durable and very unique

skellis are pretty basic, but can dish out a lot of damage. no rend thought, so a tanky unit could wade through them...

grave guards are supposed to be the elite skellis with access to rend and extra damage... would love better save and maybe real guard rules.

9 hours ago, Tobjen99 said:

Grave guard could get some sort of guardian ability. Something like the Necromancers give wounds on a 4+, but instead take wounds from a hero within 3’ on a 4+. Then you could pick grave guard as a guard unit and eaven if skeleton wariors could tank and deal more damage per point, you would have a reason to pick them. 

I don't think that Grave Guard should be a Tarpid in the first place. Looking at the profile it should be more like a main damage dealer unit. With double handed weapon they basicly have the same roll as the living models with double handed weapons and with shields they have a quite elite profile still having rend only changing a better save against attacks without rend against worse to wound rolls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I don't think that Grave Guard should be a Tarpid in the first place. Looking at the profile it should be more like a main damage dealer unit. With double handed weapon they basicly have the same roll as the living models with double handed weapons and with shields they have a quite elite profile still having rend only changing a better save against attacks without rend against worse to wound rolls.

I agree with you there, but a guard rule would be uniqe and make them a good choice compared to Grim Ghast.

I feel so sry for my Grave guard that costs the same as a unit of Ardboys. I know that you should not compare units from faction to faction, but it is a big difference on those units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobjen99 said:

I know that you should not compare units from faction to faction, but it is a big difference on those units.

Why not?!? Of course faction synergies and stuff have to be taken into account but otherwise...

Edited by Honk
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Honk said:

?!? 2+\3+\-\1 ?!? 

have the best statline of all the units...  with a vamp, necro and a corpse cart they will kill anything and survive to tell the tale

Other new warscrolls get all the bells and whistles without the effort of synergies or having a large block with few casualties.

You do make a good point Honk.  They can have a most excellent modified statline.

• Thanks 1

A max unit of 60 costs 320 points and has 20 wounds before the statline decreases... total of 670 for the whole kit

with „mastery of death“ they hobble kinda quickly and with vamp- and necro-buffs I have seen them rampage across half the enemys army and wreck face through cruel statistics alone...

Aaaaand you still get all the fluff points.

of course they can get wrecked but that happens to skellis as well

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Honk said:

Aaaaand you still get all the fluff points.

True that, never discount the rule-of-cool.

Yeah, a single Deamonette unit and a Keeper of Secrets will indeed wreck the zombie unit on a single 2+ roll after the charge phase.  Cheaper.

In my area a number of us have been playing since the 90s.  We can play fun-fluffy or crazy-hard.  The later has gotten me off zombies because the investments and limited options tactically.  I just can’t bring myself to transition them to the round bases.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Evil Bob said:

I just can’t bring myself to transition them to the round bases.

To my eternal shame, of my 90 skellis 70 are still square and my zombies definitely look very ghoulish when I field them...

this employment thing totally ruins my hobbytime, *shame *shame *shame

Not enough in and of itself, but one minor change I'd recomend is making the minimum zombie unit size 20 rather than 10.  That would emphasize zombies as a larger horde, allow for a bigger max size discount, match their box size, alow for bigger zombie units in meeting engagements, etc.

Other changes to consider:  drop the second extra attack in skeletons.  Maybe give them something else in exchange, maybe drop their extra attacks altogether in favor of another large unit bonus, but at the very least dont let them have more attacks than grave guard or they risk outshining grave guard as an offensive unit.

Per grave guard, they're kind of squishy for an elite unit, and the shields look pretty bad next to the great weapons.  Maybe give them 4+ armor to start, and a better shield rule?  Maybe give the regukar sjeletons better shields, too?  I like the tomb kings shields, they were more reliable but also made the unit more static, which could stablish deathrattle as a more defensive undead subfaction.

I agree that chain rasps operate more or less as I'd want them to.

id like to see deathless minions include immune to battleshock

Zombies ideas

-mv 3!

- Slow - Always strikes last

- Final Blow- If a model has been slain, on a 4+they  may attack before they are removed if they havent attacked yet this phase.

- always deathless minions (dont need hero nearby and get immune to bs)

- 6+ to hit 6+ to wound. no horde bonuses.  On *hit roll of 6 (bite), its a mortal wound and add zombie to unit.

-  20/120pts 40/200pts

Skeletons

-mv 5 - standard human

- Standardize to 2a.

- nearby Hero gives +1h/+1w

GraveG

-mv 5 - standard human

-  Great Wight blade are not cursed anymore. They only have 1a, but 2damage.

- instead of double wounds on roll of 6. Cursed weapons now slay non-behemoth/monster

Black Knight

4+ armor save. Rend for wight. mv10.

Corpse Cart

- Acts as 2 Deathly Invocations and gives out deathless minions.