Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Hey all, feel free to direct me/move this if there's an existing thread already:

Does anyone have a how-to guide on magnetizing models for different weapon configs? Is there a minimum size for this, or are static body poses the only thing necessary? I'm interested in doing this for Stormcast Judicators, but if there's drilling involved I don't think it'd be worth possibly ruining a model for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few how to guides for things like space marines out online.  In short you drill a hole in each part and superglue a magnet in.

I've always found magnetising weapon options for "normal" sized models more work than it's worth and sometime really dangerous for a model when you play with them (pick a model up by it's sword and watch in horror as the body of the model detaches itself whilst suspended in the air).  It does vary based on the model a bit though.  For larger models I'll often magnetise for transportation - so Neferata can be detached from her Dread Abyssal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve magnetised quite a few of my models over the years - Crypt Horrors into Flayers, Bonesplittas with choppa/bow - and found it very straightforward.

Cut either at the shoulder or wrist and stick a magnet on each end - simples! Just keep the polarities organised and you’re good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

Cut either at the shoulder or wrist and stick a magnet on each end - simples! Just keep the polarities organised and you’re good to go.

It sounds simple in practice, but I don't have the drill to stick the magnets in :( though something like Horrors sounds much easier than orks

5 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I've always found magnetising weapon options for "normal" sized models more work than it's worth

This was my feeling, especially for battleline units. I will stick to magnetizing bases for transport I think (once I paint them lol)

Thank you both for the reply!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

It sounds simple in practice, but I don't have the drill to stick the magnets in :( though something like Horrors sounds much easier than orks

This was my feeling, especially for battleline units. I will stick to magnetizing bases for transport I think (once I paint them lol)

Thank you both for the reply!

I used .5mm thick magnets so there was no need to drill. Just superglue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drill wise I'd suggest looking for a watchmakers drill.  Most will comfortably take a 3mm or 4mm drill bit and they're normally pretty cheap.

17 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

This was my feeling, especially for battleline units. I will stick to magnetizing bases for transport I think (once I paint them lol)

I've taken to gluing magnets into bases before I do anything else now.  Have found it a lot easier, you don't get the magnet shift and any white misting from the superglue isn't going to mess anything up (though I pop them near an open window to largely eliminate that).

9 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

I used .5mm thick magnets so there was no need to drill. Just superglue!

That'll still add 1mm onto the model unless you cut that out of the overall arm length.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like @RuneBrush I tend to only magnetize bigger things where one can drill into the model safely and use decent sized magnets. I also find that for things like battle-line troops and such most of the time, the models are too small to be practical for magnets and its often just easier to invest steadily in a growing army of them.

When it comes to things like giant units where you might only ever want one or two at a time or where a weapon swap out doesn't really make you want to buy another when it just 1 part difference etc... then I find magnets really come into their own. Plus you can far more easily hide them in the join area so that you get a nice looking model that doesn't "show" its magnets. 

 

Some armies are also better designed for it than othesr - Tyranids are fantastic for magnets for anything Warrior sized and upward on the arms - meanwhile I'd never even dream of magnetizing witch aelves. Not only are the arms far too thin but the connection point is right out in the open. Similar for things like Slaansh Chariots - all the connection points are right out in the open, so the only way to magnetize is to change how the model looks to hide them away if one chooses to magnetize. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

@RuneBrush do you mean you magnetize the bases before putting the model on said base?

Yup, you can see a couple rows of them on the lower baking sheet in this pic.  I tend to do them like this as the baking sheet pulls the magnet onto the base, which gives a bit better bond rather than relying on the weight of the magnet.

D9NoWdvXUAEZ0dm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh wow I didn't realize those were the same sprue??? These are definitely bigger models than I think I'll ever have as Stormcast 😅 do you move them by the base or their head/spines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 7:44 AM, RuneBrush said:

Drill wise I'd suggest looking for a watchmakers drill.  Most will comfortably take a 3mm or 4mm drill bit and they're normally pretty cheap. 

I'm looking at starting a beastclaw raider army and want to start magnetising models for the first time.

I've looked online and the process seems simple enough, but what I'm struggling to find is the right drill which can accommodate up to 5mm drill bits. 

Do I need to go that high, or was the tutorial I found just being a tad overzealous? And would you mind recommending a drill that you like to work with? 

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 6:45 AM, Cchalmers said:

I'm looking at starting a beastclaw raider army and want to start magnetising models for the first time.

I've looked online and the process seems simple enough, but what I'm struggling to find is the right drill which can accommodate up to 5mm drill bits. 

Do I need to go that high, or was the tutorial I found just being a tad overzealous? And would you mind recommending a drill that you like to work with? 

Thank you! 

5mm is pretty big - putting it into perspective I use 5mm dia x 4mm to hold the weapons on my Imperial Knight Porphyrion (the massive resin Knight Forge World do).

Generally a 3mm dia x 2mm or a 2mm dia x 1.5mm is going to be more than man enough to hold regular sized model pieces together.  I think I use a 3mm magnet to hold Neferata onto her mount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

5mm is pretty big - putting it into perspective I use 5mm dia x 4mm to hold the weapons on my Imperial Knight Porphyrion (the massive resin Knight Forge World do).

Generally a 3mm dia x 2mm or a 2mm dia x 1.5mm is going to be more than man enough to hold regular sized model pieces together.  I think I use a 3mm magnet to hold Neferata onto her mount.

Ah OK, thank you for that! 

Plenty of drills to accommodate for that 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...