Black Library - fantasy (in every sense) author wishlist

JPjr

With no disrespect towards current Black Library authors, who have consistently surprised me the past year, if you could loosen the purse stings and publishing policies and give any writers absolute free reign to create stories in the Warhammer universe(s) who would you love to see have a go?

I feel like Jeff Vandermeer was born to write a novel about a city that gets sucked into Tzeentch's demesnes in the Realm of Chaos. Neil Gaiman to deliver a book of tales from the dawn of the Age of Myth would be a shoe-in, as would N.K. Jemisin on some epic epoch/realm spanning story. 

Kim Newman always does good vampire, so bring him back into the fold and get him to do a vampire spy romp featuring Neferata's secret service. Or just go full body horror and get Poppy Z Brite out of retirement and into the realm of chaos.

Neal Stephenson would probably be best saved for 40K but ****** it I'd read the ****** out of that, likewise I'd love to read what Margaret Atwood would come up with in that setting.

All these are a bit obvious though, any not explicitly fantasy/sci-fi related writers you can think of? I'd love to read a really visceral, no punches pulled 'war is hell' novel based around ordinary grunts facing unimaginable horrors, or some heavy magic realism or the like. Hell, I'm sure Haruki Murakami has an Ulgu based novel in him...

Give Steven Erikson full control of the "official" background direction of the Mortal Realms. All the stories with the Gods, empires-building, cultures-flourishing... Considering how monumental the Malazan series is, it could potentially be something of epic proportions. Would certainly make it more vast, lively and complex. I think BL needs a push in that direction coz it's otherwise quite bland (please don't kill me).

It would also be very interesting to have an existential novel with a jaded Stormcast and derailing into insanity/self-destruction of some sorts. Think Dostoevsky's Notes of the Underground, or even a Kurt Vonnegut type with satirical/dark humour portrayal of war in a Mortal Realms version.

I'd buy that. Otherwise, no thanks. 

• Like 1

Yeah if we’re getting in dead authors then the list becomes endless, TP of course would be worth a read, and a straight up comedy would be refreshing, but he’d have to get in line behind Robert Anton Wilson and Philip K ******.