Units not in GHB19 or Battletome still ok to play in tournys?

25 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

@GoddammitGary

Yes but this would have filled the "later publication" clause since FAQ's are definitely  publications. Additionally this very specifically applies to the Errant Questor and wouldn't necessarily apply to other models. 

Hopefully the incoming FAQ in July will address this (and all other) issues. 

I for one am kind of hoping they retire the GS w Familiars. Its in nearly every Tzeentch list and the model is difficult to procure.  Also the model itself is a bit confusing since its 5 models that effectively act as 1 and its OP to boot. So its just a lot of trouble altogether lol. 

RAI: Warscrolls including pitched battle profiles can be used. 

Mind you it annoys me that GW don't include the limited, one of or Warhammer World models in the GHBs. 

7 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

They aren't in the Destruction section either. It's quite strange that they removed the Gitmob Grots from Pitched Battle while Greenskins are still playable (even though there models vanished from the shop basicly at the same time.

This is what Im confused about. The are still some really old compendium units in there like 'Orcs and Goblins'

For example Orukk bully which is used with gitmob war machines - but all the war machines are gone? 

That really sucks I have tons of wolf riders and such..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Raging_Moose said:

This is what Im confused about. The are still some really old compendium units in there like 'Orcs and Goblins'

For example Orukk bully which is used with gitmob war machines - but all the war machines are gone? 

That really sucks I have tons of wolf riders and such..

Yep, pretty disapointed Gitmob went from 'legitimate faction' to 'does not exist', not even a compendium swap!  And this is for models that were still for sale on GW site 6 months ago.    I bought 3 chariots!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stato said:

Yep, pretty disapointed Gitmob went from 'legitimate faction' to 'does not exist', not even a compendium swap!  And this is for models that were still for sale on GW site 6 months ago.    I bought 3 chariots!

This really sucks, I got into the game in August and have tons of painted wolf riders and other things which I can't even shift over to Gloomspite as count as.. so I'm just ****** out of luck? I was enjoying the game but what am I supposed to do now? 

6 minutes ago, Raging_Moose said:

This really sucks, I got into the game in August and have tons of painted wolf riders and other things which I can't even shift over to Gloomspite as count as.. so I'm just ****** out of luck? I was enjoying the game but what am I supposed to do now? 

Its sucky when stuff gets cut, i have a load of old dwarfs and bretonians, but at least those still have points so while rules wise they suck at least I have an idea i can use them.  You can probably still run them with old points though , i cant imagine people will raise issue with them in friendly games.  For tournaments you'd have to check, but again unless its a major tournament i cant see it being an issue, they arnt exactly over powered.

I was enjoying the game but what am I supposed to do now? 

If you aren't playing in tournaments I don't think it really matters, you should be able to use whatever you want with your group.  If you're playing in tournaments then you will be at the whim of your tournament organizer.

This is why I say that I feel its kind of dirty for GW to sell models for factions that don't have full books, because its highly disingenuous to either buy into a faction that has abysmal rules, or buy into a faction that was not fully supported and is suddenly yanked and then the community tells you to just wait potentially x years for it to return.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

RAI: Warscrolls including pitched battle profiles can be used. 

Mind you it annoys me that GW don't include the limited, one of or Warhammer World models in the GHBs. 

I don't necessarily disagree, and I am sure a FAQ will clear this up soon. But the sentence on page 1 of the pitched battle profile booklet specifically says that it cannot be taken without opponent's permission. The intent of that sentence can't really be argued, at least not for now.

I don't think we can rely on the existence of Warscrolls in the App as justification for the units belonging in matched play. Warscrolls are used by all play styles. 

I am actually more annoyed that GW even releases matched play profiles for limited models. It leads to situations, such as the Gaunt Familiars, where some players have access to highly competitive models that others don't. 

39 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

They aren't in the Destruction section either. It's quite strange that they removed the Gitmob Grots from Pitched Battle while Greenskins are still playable (even though there models vanished from the shop basicly at the same time.

It's almost like store availability and rules/squatting are only loosely correlated, not 100% linked.

20 minutes ago, stato said:

Just to follow this up, i found where they went.  Legends.  Didnt spot this at the time (Jan2019 when Gloomspite dropped). Bummer.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ENG_WH_Legends_Orcs_Goblins.pdf

13 minutes ago, Raging_Moose said:

Thats rough man. Could you maybe use the wolfriders as spider riders? Are those still around? Might take some base engineering but you could also maybe use them as squig riders.

I have found that most players are pretty accommodating when it comes to models with discontinued rules. We have all been there. 

9 hours ago, stato said:

Yeah it's pretty rough.  I was buying Gitmob right up until they got deleted from the webstore with no warning.  It doesn't feel great.

Edited by PlasticCraic
  • Like 1

So your mate comes round to your house and says: 'I finally finished painting my Tomb Kings army - want a game?'. You take a look at them and complement your mate on a beautifully painted army. Your opponent uses the points from the compendium, runs Death Allegiance and includes some Morghasts and Endless Spells. 

You say: 'game on' and have an awesome night.

There is an independent tournament coming up and your mate wants to join you. The tournament organiser says you can come but not your mate: sorry, we are using the General's Handbook pack and so you can't bring your Tomb Kings.

I am sorry but this is balls. If at any point GW has created a Warscroll you should be encouraged to bring it to an independent tournament if you want to. Legacy armies are not going to dominate the tables anymore so why not let them play?

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

So your mate comes round to your house and says: 'I finally finished painting my Tomb Kings army - want a game?'. You take a look at them and complement your mate on a beautifully painted army. Your opponent uses the points from the compendium, runs Order Allegiance and includes some Morghasts and Endless Spells. 

There is an independent tournament coming up and your mate wants to join you. The tournament organiser says you can come but not your mate: sorry, we are using the General's Handbook pack and so you can't bring your Tomb Kings.

I am sorry but this is balls. If at any point GW has created a Warscroll you should be encouraged to bring it to an independent tournament if you want to. Legacy armies are not going to dominate the tables anymore so why not let them play?

Your point is valid, except  ...you swap grots for Tomb Kings, as TK have points in the GHB, grots (which were still sold in December 2018) do not.

They spent plenty of effort trying to keep legacy stuff playable, as you say not top tier, so it sucks they just gave grots the full boot to the ******.

22 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

So your mate comes round to your house and says: 'I finally finished painting my Tomb Kings army - want a game?'. You take a look at them and complement your mate on a beautifully painted army. Your opponent uses the points from the compendium, runs Order Allegiance and includes some Morghasts and Endless Spells.  

Except for the point that the army would be Death Allegiance Tomb Kings would be legal at the tournament as a Army with Death Allegiance because they have Pitched Battle Profiles in the back of the Booklet of the Generals Handbook 2019.

Thanks for the clarification - I haven't got my hands on the new handbook yet. Good to hear at least one Legacy army is intact. As Stato said my point still stands though. Have a counts as war scroll or hit the old scrolls with the nerf bat but people lovingly paint up models for the game shouldn't have the rug pulled out from under them and be told they can't play.

I really don't like the legends model either as it excludes players from matched play. Legacy units shouldn't be top tier as that would be unfair for new players but people should still be allowed to play in events even if their army is no longer the best. 

Edited by Greyshadow

You'd have to take that up with event organizers.  They do what they are going to do.  I'm sure some events will allow for it.  Its just not going to be universal.  GW doesn't write for events, thats why they added other forms of play that those models can still be used in.

Edited by Dead Scribe

#Tournament games

I am in a weird spot as a TO right now. I want to be very clear now in what I say, regarding experience I made, so anyone not willing to read any rumble should skip my comment right now.

The GH releases always changed stuff up and made people overthink their concepts. It is a good approach to realease these books to "balance" out stuff.

BUT

The fact, that this booklet has "all" the "viable" unit choices for each faction in it is simply a joke. Units being just straight up dropped, wich drives players crazy, is not a good idea, nor a good design way.
In my activity as TO I always have to think steps further, than GW would ever need to do.
What would I now offer my players to use? Do I stick with this GH version 100%?
Are the GH's in generell adding up to one another? Or is a new one the automatic remake of all of them before?

GW seems to not really state this.

So what I will do, to have them players not being pi**ed by GW, is simple:

Players can use all the units & armies they have, wich ever had a viable AoS warscroll. The point cost must therefore be verified with the latest available point cost update, that is available via erratas, GHs or any source, that states the point cost actual.

That means, I will have to search for all these actual, latest update versions of all point values for these armies. What the heck?
GW is atm very happy with releasing rules & information all over the palce. Sometimes there where / are updates only in White Dwarf ( Skirmish ), sometimes erratas, then GHs and sometimes FAQs.
I want to admit, that i really don't like this release and update practice at all. There should be a generell update sometimes, that is made by an official source               ( maybe uploaded, or even GHs ) that contains ALL recent updates, rules updates and anything, that is being changed and errate'd. I do almost have enogh of that bollocks, tbh.
Me & a fellow player do carry around a folder, that has all of the erratas and FAQ's, that are necessary, with us for each tournament. That folder is twice as big as the big core rules book.

That GH right now is just one more of these steps, and I wasn't too happy reading through it the first time. They brought in new stuff to use like "Meeting engagements" and "terrain features" and even more. But that's just a part of what would have been needed.

A big thing in my local meta actually is the fact, when ever units are standing in cover. Is it, when they are covered within the sight of the enemy unit?
Oficially it is stated as "within the terrain". Tell me please, when is a unit standing IN terrain? Is that being between Sylwaneth Wyldwoods? Is that IN a building only?
But that's just an example.

I will create an entirety of house rules for that cover topic, as it is just requested.

So, that was kind of a rant, so pleae apologize. But GW seems to run into a bad direction...again. They have more then 20 years of experience and shall know it better.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Battlefury said:

Players can use all the units & armies they have, wich ever had a viable AoS warscroll. The point cost must therefore be verified with the latest available point cost update, that is available via erratas, GHs or any source, that states the point cost actual.

That means, I will have to search for all these actual, latest update versions of all point values for these armies. What the heck?

Absolutely, that's what I am thinking. Don't encourage others to invalidate peoples lovingly painted units unnecessarily GW . We also need all legacy war scrolls available with points just like those in the compendiums.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

Absolutely, that's what I am thinking. Don't encourage others to invalidate peoples lovingly painted units unnecessarily GW . We also need all legacy war scrolls available with points just like those in the compendiums.

So true.

I want nobody to be disgraced, just because they have the army they like and have put a lot of effort into it. Even if it was before AoS's days though.

Therefore I want to encourage every TO, to actually do the same. It is what we, as TOs can do for our players, what GW failed at.

• Like 3

General's Handbook 2019 Pitched Battle Profiles RAW: 

Only units that are included in this book, or that have a later publication date, can be used in a Pitched Battle game without your opponent's consent. Units that are not included in this book and have an earlier publication date or no publication date at all can only be used in Pitched Battle game if your opponent agrees that it is okay for you to use them before the battle begins.

Funny fact: This means that as long as the new Sylvaneth Battletome has not been released yet, the current Sylvaneth Allegiance Abilities are broken as you are not allowed to place Sylvaneth Wyldwoods any more as they no longer have a Pitched Battle Profile in GHB 2019 and thus makes them invalid. 🙄

The following units have a warscroll, but no Pitched Battle Profile in GHB 2019 or are errataed out:

Gitmob Grots:

• Doom Diver Catapult
  • Grot Rock Lobber
  • Grot Shaman
  • Grot Spear Chukka
  • Grot Wolf Chariots
  • Grot Wolf Riders
  • Grots
  • Nasty Skulkers
  • Snotling Pump Wagons
  • Snotlings

Skaven: