Jump to content

Starting Deepkin, want some direction


MagisterCrow
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I’m a pretty die hard Legions of Nagash player (respect the evil, petty death god!) but I’m looking to expand my horizons and I was playing against Idoneth and loved their looks and play style. My LGS had the battleforce, so I picked it up and now am kinda wondering where to go from here. Is a SC box worthwhile? I’m looking for a more mobile and aggressive army compared to the LoN “patience is a virtue” method I usually employ. Any must haves? Anything to absolutely avoid? Any suggestions help! Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would probably buy 2x start collecting. You'll eventually want the thralls for battleline and it gives you 6 eels as well for your mobile element. A nice core

Then try out a few games at ~750 points or whatnot and see what you like. Also, Idoneth has a beautiful model range so you could just purchase what you want to play and paint. Thats usually my strategy.  In terms of strength: Must have's- eels. Must Avoid: Sharks, the big turtle. But they are beautiful models and you wouldn't handicap yourself much if you brought one in even a semi-competitive setting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

"mobile and aggressive" ? go for the king and eels!.

I was planning on the king at some point. Need to paint his armor gold and green for...reasons... Side note, I know a lot of people say Volturnos is better than the average king. Is that accurate?

7 hours ago, Frowny said:

I would probably buy 2x start collecting. You'll eventually want the thralls for battleline and it gives you 6 eels as well for your mobile element. A nice core

Then try out a few games at ~750 points or whatnot and see what you like. Also, Idoneth has a beautiful model range so you could just purchase what you want to play and paint. Thats usually my strategy.  In terms of strength: Must have's- eels. Must Avoid: Sharks, the big turtle. But they are beautiful models and you wouldn't handicap yourself much if you brought one in even a semi-competitive setting. 

I like thralls anyway. I don't know why, but I always enjoy painting battleline units. Probably good since I need to paint a lot of them... Sharks being a poor choice is a bit of a shame since the Battleforce came with two. I will probably still use them since they look nifty. Also shame about the turtle since it looks amaaaaaaaaazing.

5 hours ago, prochuvi said:

Eels eels eels and more eel seeing how gw wont balance them(10 points increase is a joke and they are undercosted yet)

When you're fighting deepkin and your skull gets caved in that's a moray

4 hours ago, Denegaar said:

I've started with SC + Battleforce. Next buy us going to be a King and the terrain.

Sounds good.

 

Thanks all for the responses! Gives me a good idea of where to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think Allopexes are a bad choice in fair lists, at least now at 120pts.

They are not a focused unit, they have a bit of everything (poor shooting, nice melee), and they are 8 wounds monsters that move super fast and fly.

Eels are better, but Sharks normally get some attention from enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Denegaar said:

I don't think Allopexes are a bad choice in fair lists, at least now at 120pts.

They are not a focused unit, they have a bit of everything (poor shooting, nice melee), and they are 8 wounds monsters that move super fast and fly.

Eels are better, but Sharks normally get some attention from enemies.

 

8 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

I asume a Soulscryer and  two Allopexes travelling the ethersea can make your opponent quite nervous :)

I feel like flying sharks should make everyone very scared. I mean, I’d be freaking the heck out

8 hours ago, Daniel saxcloud said:

Maybe Watch out for the "battletome FAQ" Gw announced while you assemble and Paint what you have, not dire Gw didn't change any rule.... 

Oooo ooh, fair point. I’m a bit of a collector, so while I’m not mortified of shelf warmers, I’d prefer stuff I can use. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, MagisterCrow said:

feel like flying sharks should make everyone very scared. I mean, I’d be freaking the heck out

You apparently don’t live in Australia. (Me neither bit that’s what I imagine it’s like ;) )

deff go for the soulscryer if you bring thralls as potentially setting up a bunch of models on board edge to threaten objectives is always good! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A single shark is not necessarily a bad purchase now at 120. It depends on what you have in your list, but that's the cheapest non-hero you are squeezing in so sometimes if that's the points you have it makes a nice flanking / objective grabber that is obnoxious enough someone has to deal with it.

 

I don't see a use case for more than one (does anyone else? curious...) but I can see one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...