Starting Deepkin, want some direction

MagisterCrow

So I’m a pretty die hard Legions of Nagash player (respect the evil, petty death god!) but I’m looking to expand my horizons and I was playing against Idoneth and loved their looks and play style. My LGS had the battleforce, so I picked it up and now am kinda wondering where to go from here. Is a SC box worthwhile? I’m looking for a more mobile and aggressive army compared to the LoN “patience is a virtue” method I usually employ. Any must haves? Anything to absolutely avoid? Any suggestions help! Thanks in advance!

I would probably buy 2x start collecting. You'll eventually want the thralls for battleline and it gives you 6 eels as well for your mobile element. A nice core

Then try out a few games at ~750 points or whatnot and see what you like. Also, Idoneth has a beautiful model range so you could just purchase what you want to play and paint. Thats usually my strategy.  In terms of strength: Must have's- eels. Must Avoid: Sharks, the big turtle. But they are beautiful models and you wouldn't handicap yourself much if you brought one in even a semi-competitive setting. 

9 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

"mobile and aggressive" ? go for the king and eels!.

I was planning on the king at some point. Need to paint his armor gold and green for...reasons... Side note, I know a lot of people say Volturnos is better than the average king. Is that accurate?

7 hours ago, Frowny said:

I would probably buy 2x start collecting. You'll eventually want the thralls for battleline and it gives you 6 eels as well for your mobile element. A nice core

Then try out a few games at ~750 points or whatnot and see what you like. Also, Idoneth has a beautiful model range so you could just purchase what you want to play and paint. Thats usually my strategy.  In terms of strength: Must have's- eels. Must Avoid: Sharks, the big turtle. But they are beautiful models and you wouldn't handicap yourself much if you brought one in even a semi-competitive setting. 

I like thralls anyway. I don't know why, but I always enjoy painting battleline units. Probably good since I need to paint a lot of them... Sharks being a poor choice is a bit of a shame since the Battleforce came with two. I will probably still use them since they look nifty. Also shame about the turtle since it looks amaaaaaaaaazing.

5 hours ago, prochuvi said:

Eels eels eels and more eel seeing how gw wont balance them(10 points increase is a joke and they are undercosted yet)

When you're fighting deepkin and your skull gets caved in that's a moray

4 hours ago, Denegaar said:

I've started with SC + Battleforce. Next buy us going to be a King and the terrain.

Sounds good.

Thanks all for the responses! Gives me a good idea of where to go.

I don't think Allopexes are a bad choice in fair lists, at least now at 120pts.

They are not a focused unit, they have a bit of everything (poor shooting, nice melee), and they are 8 wounds monsters that move super fast and fly.

Eels are better, but Sharks normally get some attention from enemies.

21 hours ago, Denegaar said:

I don't think Allopexes are a bad choice in fair lists, at least now at 120pts.

They are not a focused unit, they have a bit of everything (poor shooting, nice melee), and they are 8 wounds monsters that move super fast and fly.

Eels are better, but Sharks normally get some attention from enemies.

8 hours ago, Sonnenspeer said:

I asume a Soulscryer and  two Allopexes travelling the ethersea can make your opponent quite nervous :)

I feel like flying sharks should make everyone very scared. I mean, I’d be freaking the heck out

8 hours ago, Daniel saxcloud said:

Maybe Watch out for the "battletome FAQ" Gw announced while you assemble and Paint what you have, not dire Gw didn't change any rule.... 

Oooo ooh, fair point. I’m a bit of a collector, so while I’m not mortified of shelf warmers, I’d prefer stuff I can use. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, MagisterCrow said:

feel like flying sharks should make everyone very scared. I mean, I’d be freaking the heck out

You apparently don’t live in Australia. (Me neither bit that’s what I imagine it’s like ;) )

deff go for the soulscryer if you bring thralls as potentially setting up a bunch of models on board edge to threaten objectives is always good! 

• 2 weeks later...

A single shark is not necessarily a bad purchase now at 120. It depends on what you have in your list, but that's the cheapest non-hero you are squeezing in so sometimes if that's the points you have it makes a nice flanking / objective grabber that is obnoxious enough someone has to deal with it.

I don't see a use case for more than one (does anyone else? curious...) but I can see one.