Movement trays from GW

Ahn-ket

The only downside is that they seem quite well spaced out and not as tightly packed as they could be. I figure because 40K likely has more base overflowing models than AoS traditionally had (remember a bulk of the models are still made for rank and file systems). That said I can see them having good use in the early part of a battle, but once you get into consolidating into combat chances are you'll be moving the models off base and into combat. 

It will remain to be seen if they prove viable and practical, but they could at least form a good core for some casual games. 

I’ve seen one 3D printable movement tray that worked just fine and a bunch of others that were ******.  A local Skaven player uses some kind of MDF Board made ones that are just awesome..

Probably going to end up doing magnetized trays because the exact pattern I want isn’t available in the layout I want.

GW is not going to get away with charging me an arm and a leg for something that costed them under a dollar to produce and package.

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

The only downside is that they seem quite well spaced out and not as tightly packed as they could be. I figure because 40K likely has more base overflowing models than AoS traditionally had (remember a bulk of the models are still made for rank and file systems). That said I can see them having good use in the early part of a battle, but once you get into consolidating into combat chances are you'll be moving the models off base and into combat. 

It will remain to be seen if they prove viable and practical, but they could at least form a good core for some casual games. 

40k is quite different in that case because there rules say, that you have to be in 1" to the enemy or in 1" to a unit that is in 1" to the enemy. (If they don't use different rules for apo)

It mostly makes a difference in case of 25mm Bases but shouldn't make much difference in case of 32mm and 40mm

20 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

40k is quite different in that case because there rules say, that you have to be in 1" to the enemy or in 1" to a unit that is in 1" to the enemy. (If they don't use different rules for apo) 

It mostly makes a difference in case of 25mm Bases but shouldn't make much difference in case of 32mm and 40mm

This "First and Second Rank Fights" Rule is something I actually really enjoy each single time I get to 40k again. It makes the game so much smoother and faster and also leads to less frickly situations where players spend unnecessary amounts of time to max out the number of fightning units. I guess the range of weapons were supposed in AoS to make this more uniform but with different base sizes this is yet a messy spot in the rules. Also the fact that units cannot charge into 3" but have to end in 1" to the enemy makes fightning with ranks with different weapons weird. You either get charget or have to make some weird formation. At this point the rules for AoS 3.0 shall be maybe cleaned up a bit. Ot maybe it is just me and my playgroup that dislikes that current way how things are handled.

12 hours ago, Overread said:

12 hours ago, EMMachine said:

From what I've heard, in Apocalypse a unit is a single entity - you don't count individual models, so a unit is either in combat or not to speed up how the game plays.  This means that the gaps between models don't actually make any difference.

What I'm hoping is these are super cheap and super popular so that GW might consider making some for AoS with a different coherency layout.

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

so that GW might consider making some for AoS with a different coherency layout.

That’s my main concern, piling in and attacks with different weapons kinda is a big thing in AoS. Having a small base is important for skellis, zombers and ghouls... and of course making good use of it.

For deployment and basic movements those will surely speed up my turn. And charging into terrain with obstacles you‘ll have to take them off again.

Now everything hinges on the price, because I play horde... and I‘ll need 8 for 40 skellis and 12 for the zombers. And 3D printing is kinda easy and cheap in the depth of the  internet

The big question is if it actually speeds things up beyond the first turn of movement. If you account that you've got to take them off going around some terrain and to get into combat it might actually prove to be trickier. Plus in theory you'd still measure to the models base so if there's a good distance between the models you might find its okish so long as you get off the board within the first turn or two; otherwise you might find your second rank can't quite get into combat range. 

6 minutes ago, Overread said:

The big question is if it actually speeds things up beyond the first turn of movement. If you account that you've got to take them off going around some terrain and to get into combat it might actually prove to be trickier. Plus in theory you'd still measure to the models base so if there's a good distance between the models you might find its okish so long as you get off the board within the first turn or two; otherwise you might find your second rank can't quite get into combat range. 

I might make a house rule for them saying that the models counts as they are in base to base contact for speeding things up

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

From what I've heard, in Apocalypse a unit is a single entity - you don't count individual models, so a unit is either in combat or not to speed up how the game plays.  This means that the gaps between models don't actually make any difference.

What I'm hoping is these are super cheap and super popular so that GW might consider making some for AoS with a different coherency layout.

yeah, from what ive got, its kinda like kings of war.

that said, hoping for super cheap stuff from gw is beyond my capacity of hoping

• Like 1

THe best kind of movement tray are 5 man movement trays that are straight lines, as they can go single file through doors and over terrain, big 40 man units turn into 8 man units that can be lined up as need be and not generally taking off the trays for most of the game play.

For instance these are great by magnet baron

Spoiler

25mm_5x1_Straight_Magnet_Tray_Final_gran

Source
https://themagnetbaron.com/collections/trays-bases/products/movement-tray-ferrous-5x1-straight

I use these with my skaven, and general for the whole game i don't have to take them off because they line up  more or less perfectly, evne for competive play they get so close no one really seems to care them being a tiny bit off some times. 

I hope if GW does an AoS version they make something like this in mind, or they release it along side a change of how weapon ranges work. OR give the movement trays a special rule that lets you use them more easily. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Honk said:

That’s my main concern, piling in and attacks with different weapons kinda is a big thing in AoS. Having a small base is important for skellis, zombers and ghouls... and of course making good use of it.

For deployment and basic movements those will surely speed up my turn. And charging into terrain with obstacles you‘ll have to take them off again.

Now everything hinges on the price, because I play horde... and I‘ll need 8 for 40 skellis and 12 for the zombers. And 3D printing is kinda easy and cheap in the depth of the  internet

Looks like it's £25 per box and in quantities of 18 (25mm), 12 (32mm) & 8 (40mm).  I'll likely stick to either 3d ones from Winterdyne or the metal ones from Mini Mag Tray (https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/22567-best-aos-movement-trays/)

15 hours ago, mmimzie said:

THe best kind of movement tray are 5 man movement trays that are straight lines, as they can go single file through doors and over terrain, big 40 man units turn into 8 man units that can be lined up as need be and not generally taking off the trays for most of the game play.

Going to have to be honest here and say I have a huge issue with some stick trays - specifically the ones that are 10 models long with a 24mm gap between them...  Far too many people use it as excuse to ignore the cost for moving over walls, or floating them over solid scenery

• Like 2

In retrospect it isn’t fair of me to boycott GW movement trays.  I’m going to take those square ones from pre-7th edition (I have a pile in grey or green) and lay some flexible magnetic strip in them.  Magnetizing over 300 ghouls, skeletons, and chainrasps will take awhile but the project should end a feel good.

• Haha 1

Hi, I'm one of the chaps that designs and 3d prints trays. My USP is this:

tray25r2-2-1_flex_pilein1.jpg

tray25r2-2-1_flex_pilein2.jpg

I do the typical rigid designs too, all (except ovals) designed around being able to link up frames into hinged assemblies if that floats your particular boat.

My shop's at https://shop.winterdyne.co.uk/ - I've noticed a lot of folks keep buying from eBay, the webshop's cheaper and gets RM24 postage rather than 48.