Highborn project restarted

MrZakalwe

Hi guys,

Restarting a previously abandoned High Elf project for a slow grow.

The general! Seawarden on foot. Used as the pennant version because they may be small but the model has a pennant on it while it has zero tridents. 

Z6S6yuc.jpg

A biscuit tin of Highborn Spearmen! Still need to figure out a sheild emblem and get the shields done for the other ten.. also need to finish the command group for the second unit (they currently lack arms, heads, and paint)

3Kmnzky.jpg

A biscuit tin of Highborn Archers! Actually the surprise success of the Highborn project- volley of arrows + Seawarden command ability + seawarden flag puts a lot of no rend wounds down range. 

Dar69rB.jpg

A WIP bolt-thrower crew and bolt thrower- all ebay rescues with an incredible amount of paint on them- biostrip20 saves the day again.

AW9eeTb.jpg

XeeTZ12.jpg

WIP Archmage on horseback. Reins greenstuffed into the hands. Going to go for black robes with red accents so the spellcaster stands out. probably going to go for a green glow from the outstretched hand.

N1pVyqa.jpg

WIP Archmage on Dragon - still need to sort out the archmage but I think I'm going to go with the similar theme to the one on horseback. 

giTI8ZF.jpg

So let's see where this takes us!

One of the core themes for the army is that at this stage in the AoS story the High Elves aren't the bright shining warriors mostly fighting from a position of strength, they are now utterly desperate and have been abandoned by their gods (Teclis and Tyrion didn't stick around when they were most needed).

Any idea how to convey that desperation?

Edit: Also here was the first rider version (planning to magnetise the riders), was going to be a Dragonlord but with this GHB he may have just morphed into Dreadlord.

uulaBiN.jpg

Edited by MrZakalwe
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

12 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Thanks! Our armies have pretty similar themes :) 

Game recognise game ;) 

yeah i read your comment about the shield ‘logo’ and immediately regretted never doing that on mine. It’s on the agenda to add some more warriors and with the chariot discount two more chariots so plenty of chances to fix that. Do you already know what rune (or sign) you want to do? I was looking at some old whfb books and they are a great source for that kind of thing 

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Game recognise game ;) 

yeah i read your comment about the shield ‘logo’ and immediately regretted never doing that on mine. It’s on the agenda to add some more warriors and with the chariot discount two more chariots so plenty of chances to fix that. Do you already know what rune (or sign) you want to do? I was looking at some old whfb books and they are a great source for that kind of thing 

Ha! The reason they don't have emblems on there already is that I've been completely failing at designing/picking one.

2 minutes ago, MrZakalwe said:

Ha! The reason they don't have emblems on there already is that I've been completely failing at designing/picking one.

Haha samesies. I do find/create cool runes but nothing I could reproduce 50 times! 

• Like 1

Test fit for the Archmage on Dragon. 

Not sure how to paint the mages - may go with black robes to differentiate them.

FuE0lCp.jpg

Edit:

For today's addition is a quick bolt thrower- crew are undercoated but still a way off. If the High Elves had spent more on swords and less on gems to cover everything maybe their fate would have been brighter.

bWcwyoG.jpg

Thinking of how to make the Tenebrael Shard look less rubbish- anybody figured out how to make it look less edgy?

Edited by MrZakalwe
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a slow week but making some progress:

Boltthrower crew are done.

z5TQKmD.jpg

dUkV22R.jpg

Still need grass but should probably varnish them first.

Got myself some of the GameZone elf spearmen and they are exceptionally nice sculpts- not sure how to keep my red and white scheme going without risking making them look like Father Christmas, though.

Surprised I wasn't able to find pictures of these before because they really are fantastic.

vPHZ8T1.jpg

Probably going to use them as Eternal Guard - they fit the phalanx rule nicely.

And have some mage support because an automatic unbind and a little resurrection is never bad.

xzqmUdC.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...