Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RuneBrush

The great big Generals Handbook 2019 Discussion Topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, prochuvi said:

But hearthguard are broken and tralls are useless(as every idoneths player say) even if math show how tralls are better than hearthguards(i prefer 50% move and 50%-100% more damage than a 50% extra save only close o heroes)

That‘s the issue math also agrees that HGB are broken. 🙃🤣

As a side note: eels are strong but they lack bodies to contest objectives 😉

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely not happy that Wanderers are still a big pile of stinking garbage. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Erosharcos said:

Definitely not happy that Wanderers are still a big pile of stinking garbage. 

They need a battletome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xking said:

They need a battletome.

That’s the truth. An aelves tome would be awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erosharcos said:

That’s the truth. An aelves tome would be awesome. 

I want just a Wanderers battletome

  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, i haven't received my GHB yet, so can you tell me are there any point changes for Skaven or FEC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rhargar said:

Hello, i haven't received my GHB yet, so can you tell me are there any point changes for Skaven or FEC? 

They are coming later in a separate pdf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they will get some point decreases for better balancing :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhargar said:

Hello, i haven't received my GHB yet, so can you tell me are there any point changes for Skaven or FEC? 

Not in the ghb but in 1-4 weeks their is a faq annouced to address that for all the newer tomes after FEC and skaven including them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

U cant see fireslayer numbers yet. Those tables are since the start of aos 2. And slayers git the tome less than 1 month ago.

 

And again noone is asking for huge nerfs ti hearth alone. Those shoukd go together buffs in others places. So the total power remain the same but with a better distribution than 99% on 1 unit only. 

Fyreslayers would need more than three units for this to really work out honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+++ MOD HAT +++

Just a gentle nudge back onto discussion about the generals handbook - just feels like I've read two pages of number crunching

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stratigo said:

Fyreslayers would need more than three units for this to really work out honestly.

How the miniature designers have to this point missed the enormous open goal that is naked dwarves riding baby magmadroths remains a mystery.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

+++ MOD HAT +++

Just a gentle nudge back onto discussion about the generals handbook - just feels like I've read two pages of number crunching

Actually, if you look at the last 2 pages there have been 35 posts.  Of those 35 posts, only 9 have been number crunching.  In those 9, only about 72% of the content of the post was about numbers.  That means in the last two pages only 20.25% of the content was number crunching...🧐

Seriously though, I was thinking about the implications of the new command abilities (no numbers incoming) and I hope the will throw things crazy out of whack. 

I think this year were going to see a lot of very unexpected armies and some underutilized things being brought to light.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How have people found meeting engagements? I'm not interested in the balance and summon issues that have already been discussed, but can you see them becoming a competetive format and what tactics seem to work? I have found planning lists for it to be pretty difficult.

15 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

How the miniature designers have to this point missed the enormous open goal that is naked dwarves riding baby magmadroths remains a mystery.

There are so many ideas I have seen posted for new units that it really suprises me they didn't add more, especially during the recent 2.0 release. I would love a gore-gruntas style unit, just a middle ground unit between the infantry and the magmadroths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they release all the super obvious units to fyreslyers now what would they release V 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slayerofmen said:

If they release all the super obvious units to fyreslyers now what would they release V 3

You mean woman dwarves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Played yesterday a pre toruney game, 1000 points, using IJ vs FeC.

 

I used a slightly bomb of 10 Brutes, that could deal with the FeC Monsters. 340 points, but need the support of a Warchanter and a Megaboss and a Shaman/Ironfist. The total cost was 720. My opp was using a King in Terror, Gristlegore with the trait of attacking first, and of course, use Feeding Frenzy without spending any CP.

 

In my turn, I activate the Ironfist, roll a 2, Brutes moves 4" more. I'm in a 8+ charge (including the +1 from IJ). I spend my 2cps on waaagh, recovering 1 and using it to more waaagh. Roll the charge, I heavily fail it. Yes, I could save the earned 1 to reroll a charge, but I need my unit of brutes to kill the King and another DRAGON next to him...

 

My opp starts his turn, just move, buff the terror through spells, sing (1 brute less) and charge. Strikes first and kill 2 Brutes. Activate Frenzy and kill the rest. GG.

 

What I'm complaining here is that I had to spent a lot of points, resources (in form of cps and characters auras correctly located) and a bit of luck in order to charge the enemy general, that in under any other circumstance the Brutes could easily wiped out. BUT, with no cps investment, no extra points and no extra resources, all FREE, my opp could have beated them even me charging him. That's SO UNFAIR, overall because you can'd do anything to avoid the combo.

 

FeC MUST HAVE a heavy nerf in this combo. It's insane you can combine Savage Strike with Feeding Frenzy in a mount that shoots and fights well (fights specially well, with that trait rerolling failed hit and dealing mortal wounds "because yes") and free CP for the Frenzy. Insane and unfair. Maybe some other top armies could stop this, but... What can do armies like IJ, that relies in cc, and ONLY cc?

 

Thanks for reading my cry xd

Edited by Luzgurbel
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Played yesterday a pre toruney game, 1000 points, using IJ vs FeC.

 

I used a slightly bomb of 10 Brutes, that could deal with the FeC Monsters. 340 points, but need the support of a Warchanter and a Megaboss and a Shaman/Ironfist. The total cost was 720. My opp was using a King in Terror, Gristlegore with the trait of attacking first, and of course, use Feeding Frenzy without spending any CP.

 

In my turn, I activate the Ironfist, roll a 2, Brutes moves 4" more. I'm in a 8+ charge (including the +1 from IJ). I spend my 2cps on waaagh, recovering 1 and using it to more waaagh. Roll the charge, I heavily fail it. Yes, I could save the earned 1 to reroll a charge, but I need my unit of brutes to kill the King and another DRAGON next to him...

 

My opp starts his turn, just move, buff the terror through spells, sing (1 brute less) and charge. Strikes first and kill 2 Brutes. Activate Frenzy and kill the rest. GG.

 

What I'm complaining here is that I had to spent a lot of points, resources (in form of cps and characters auras correctly located) and a bit of luck in order to charge the enemy general, that in under any other circumstance the Brutes could easily wiped out. BUT, with no cps investment, no extra points and no extra resources, all FREE, my opp could have beated them even me charging him. That's SO UNFAIR, overall because you can'd do anything to avoid the combo.

 

FeC MUST HAVE a heavy nerf in this combo. It's insane you can combine Savage Strike with Feeding Frenzy in a mount that shoots and fights well (fights specially well, with that trait rerolling failed hit and dealing mortal wounds "because yes") and free CP for the Frenzy. Insane and unfair. Maybe some other top armies could stop this, but... What can do armies like IJ, that relies in cc, and ONLY cc?

 

Thanks for reading my cry xd

FEC have another mechanism that  can make you cry, bring three archregeant and the fraction terrain, then summon 60 ghouls in one turn without using any CP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

FEC have another mechanism that  can make you cry, bring three archregeant and the fraction terrain, then summon 60 ghouls in one turn without using any CP.

Oh, I saw that, not with 3, just 1, but good enough for 1000 points game summoning free units with free cp with free scenary, That's the word for FeC, FREE.

 

But even with that I'm fine. The worst of the worst is that guy that almost kills what he wants and you just see with all the loathe you can, because you can't do anything else...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Qrow said:

How have people found meeting engagements? I'm not interested in the balance and summon issues that have already been discussed, but can you see them becoming a competetive format and what tactics seem to work? I have found planning lists for it to be pretty difficult.

There are so many ideas I have seen posted for new units that it really suprises me they didn't add more, especially during the recent 2.0 release. I would love a gore-gruntas style unit, just a middle ground unit between the infantry and the magmadroths.

I tried them and they‘re fun and also very balanced =}

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, Dead Scribe said:

Spirit of the game is always going to be subjective.  For me the spirit of the game is to win the game by any legal means necessary and obtain maximum match points given to me by the game developers through their rules.  For others, it is to create armies based on their idea of the narrative.  

The actual rules themselves dictate what you can and cannot do.  I don't think its right for people to chastise others for playing within the confines of the rules because they are playing a way that is not favorable to them.  

Completely true. You are entirely entitled to play the game as competitively as you like and anything in the rules is fair play.

However, if you have carefully evaluated the rules and play the most powerful list in the meta that wins the game against any opponent, almost every time, turn 1, then outside of tournaments few people are going to play with you. 

No problem if you are a pure tournament player but most of us are not and approach the game differently. Both approaches are valid but probably shouldnt be mixed at the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 then outside of tournaments few people are going to play with you. 

That is a wide sweeping statement that is just simply not true.  I play one or two games every week and our current roster of players that plays at our store is over twenty people.  

No problem if you are a pure tournament player but most of us are not and approach the game differently. 

Most of the people that I know *are* pure tournament players.  I don't think there is anyway to know at a global level how many tournament players there are or who are willing to play that way vs how many are not.  

If I were to move to a different area that did not have a lot of tournament players, I would do my best to build that scene up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dead Scribe said:

I don't think there is anyway to know at a global level how many tournament players there are or who are willing to play that way vs how many are not.  

Take GW's sales numbers from their annual and half year reports, their breakdown by sales channel and come up with average sales per store (both their stores and independent stores) and count the number of tournament players and figure out just how tiny of a minority actual event attendees are.  We know how many players the big events get and even a ton of the smaller ones thanks to the spread of event software and social media use.  Even if every tournament player made a new army for both AoS and 40k every quarter, it would still be a drop in the bucket of their £254 million in sales for the last year.

That's a quarter of a billion pounds.  There is just no way tournament players are anything but a minority.  They're simply the most vocal online and the most likely to show up to organized events and gaming nights at stores and clubs.  The majority of GW's customers play in their own houses at at friends' places.

This is why GW keeps talking about games that fit on kitchen tables and why this new GHB concentrates so much on smaller table sizes outside of the pitched battle section.  Even the Meeting Engagement section is designed for kitchen table sizes.

We also know from their financial reports that every single product down to the individual SKU is reviewed by the board of directors in terms of return on capital, margins and sales volumes.  Only a small percentage of the total available units and a minority of new releases make it into tournament lists.  The majority are simply not good enough.  If the tournament players made up any significant portion of the customer base their board of directors would have noticed and stopped making the majority of their products unsuitable for the largest portion of their customer base.  I think the better explanation is that competitive matched play people simply think they are the majority when they are not.

Edited by Nin Win
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm confused, and it may just be because I have no imagination...

 

How are you supposed to use the raids and cities of death rules? they give a bunch of rules, but no actual battle plan where they would fit in unless you use the open war generation stuff. and speaking of open war, where are the old open war missions that are not CqC stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...