The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Austin said:

Did you see the ‘new’ news of this going around? Apparently at that Q&A they said the new models would have rules for AoS and 40k, dunno if they meant all the models or what. Obviously dual rules for all models cuts against any mortals for AoS.

Personally, I think this part of the rumour is just wishlisting but it could always be Slaangors.... AoS kit with 40K conversion kit available like the Tzaangors. That would be nice. Personally prefer humans but I’d never say no to more Gors. Or both. Both would be best.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Platypus said:

I think they mentioned at some point that the warbands wouldn't be directly connected to any of the Chaos gods.

That is very interesting. First time I hear that. And imo that’s better. Shows the myriad of Chaos cultures in the Mortal Realms beyond the cultists.

Surprising but makes sense; it means they can go in the general "chaos army" block along with warriors and the like. Though I'm sure people will see hints within the group of patron gods. Eg the two launch groups that we've seen look very "Khorne" 

4 minutes ago, Overread said:

Surprising but makes sense; it means they can go in the general "chaos army" block along with warriors and the like. Though I'm sure people will see hints within the group of patron gods. Eg the two launch groups that we've seen look very "Khorne" 

Can’t disagree. That’s what I thought initially, and that’s why I made the Slaanesh connection for the flayed face symbol, but the latest news for Warcry indicate thst indeed they are not god specific.

For example Iron Gollems indeed look like Khornites, but it is not specified and them hailing from Chamon may be a reason they look like this to me.

There is another thing to think about, and it’s been a little bit explored on the lore. They might be Khornites and have no idea they are, just worshiping some metal-hound god a chieftain saw in a vision, like how a tribe may be worshipping a raven god and in fact be Tzeentch worshippers. So any tribe may be like this. Maybe they flayed face warband looks like a Slaanesh warband but their god affiliation is mentioned nowhere.

The Novella Warqueen actually tackles the idea directly with regard to clans that follow one Patron God and then shift toward another or ally with another. It's not a long story but a really well written and put together look at the Chaos worship in the Mortal Realms that I think is a really good take on the subject. So having units that are clearly once influenced by Khorne who were then stolen away by Slaanesh is very chaos.  I think its hinting that the worship of the Chaos Gods in AoS is far more fluid than it is in 40K or even was in the history of the Old World. Granted some things are going to remain fixed (eg Skaven) but for the four primary Chaos Gods who are worshipped by man (and other humanoids) we might well see far more of this fluidity develop. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Warqueen was a small gem.

Also about fluidity in AoS. Yes it makes perfect sense. Imagine that in the Old World we had the Northmen. The Norse, The Kurgan and the Hung. 

Now we have endless tribes hailing from all over the Mortal Realms, raised in completely different environments, with different backgrounds. It’s... Chaotic?

Edited by Lernaean

1 minute ago, Lernaean said:

Yeah, Warqueen was a small gem.

What I really liked is that it had a sense of magic and old-world barbarians right out of something like Conan all wrapped up in the Mortal Realms. It left out things like huge lakes of boiling silver sitting in a crucible held by a god-dragon and instead just got down to the pure and simple barbarian peoples on the open plains. It was easy to identify, envision and it presented a really neat twist on Chaos. These weren't the fanatics who are madly driven by their gods, these were people with lives, hopes, dreams and desires just outside of pure Chaos. They were the peoples the Chaos Gods (or often their greater demons) fought over with each other to convert. To me it gave those people a stronger sense of identity and backbone that Chaos was competing over them rather than the people slaved to chaos. Even though the slavery chains are there, its subtle. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Mutton said:

As an aside, I'm sort of surprised they haven't yet invented a 5th Chaos god (Horned Rat doesn't count), if only so they can double-dip on the AoS+40k action.

tbh while it's not Chaos, I think you could easily use the Tyranid line in AoS. They're aliens, sure, but there does exist a void between realms and fluffing them as a faceless void race that falls on the realms to feed could easily work in the psychedelic fantasy that is AoS. The Tyrannocite/Sporocyst box is already a terrain piece for AoS2 rules!

• Like 1

There was a 5th god of Chaos way back in the early days. I think he was the god of random stuff or something like that so almost a pure concept of Chaos. However I think he never got fleshed out enough and has drifted into the background and vanished. Also don't forget that Gork and Mork are also Chaos Gods just ork/urruk focused. They are also said to be stronger than the other 4, but being ork minded they basically just enjoy fighting each other and popping into the other Chaos God realms for a bit of a beat-up every so often. 

Chaos Gods can be birthed, Slaanesh is a newer god (at least in 40K and they share mechanics/concepts); so in theory one can create a new God. The Realms being so vast there'd be room for more to arise, however the Four Greats are hard to displace. 

Also with what GW has now there's already a lot of variety; what with each Chaos god having both a mortal and demonic army to their name (that's 8 armies plus Skaven to make 9; and that excludes all the allied possibilities)

I believe in the 80s there was a multitude of other smaller chaos gods, most of them just mentioned once or twice, here and there. Eventually they started focusing on the big four, and the others were forgotten. Could be interesting if Warcry dug into that. But it's unlikely we'll see a new greater Chaos God as it would "upset the fluff", that delicate double dual balance between the Gods, particularly in 40k where everything must stay as static as possible. That's kind of why people still say "the Horned Rat doesn't count", it just doesn't sit well with the long established equilibrium we're used to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

I believe in the 80s there was a multitude of other smaller chaos gods, most of them just mentioned once or twice, here and there. Eventually they started focusing on the big four, and the others were forgotten. Could be interesting if Warcry dug into that.

Hashut~!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Also don't forget that Gork and Mork are also Chaos Gods just ork/urruk focused. They are also said to be stronger than the other 4, but being ork minded they basically just enjoy fighting each other and popping into the other Chaos God realms for a bit of a beat-up every so often.

I'm not sure this is correct, they might have started that way, but in the new core book it's really clear that Gorkamorka sided with Sigmar and was part of the pantheon of order for a bit, then got bored and went off so Orruks are now destruction. Hopefully the new ironjawz battletome which is surely coming will have some details!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rakysh said:

I'm not sure this is correct, they might have started that way, but in the new core book it's really clear that Gorkamorka sided with Sigmar and was part of the pantheon of order for a bit, then got bored and went off so Orruks are now destruction. Hopefully the new ironjawz battletome which is surely coming will have some details!

AoS might have changed - or I'm mixing them up with the 40K system.

That said being a Chaos God doesn't necessarily make one evil. It's just the ones we have sort of are

To be fair there are mentions of many other Gods of Death that were absorbed by Nagash and one in particular was still hiding when a Stormcast found him/it and caused his death cause he was a puppet in Nagash's paws. 

So it is possible there are other Gods hidden here and there without necessarily being Chaos. At least in the Realm of Death everything that is thought by the people alive can materialise when they die, so it is possible other realms have the same concept in different manifestations. But to be 40K compatible I believe only a more generic demonic army not-God bound would fit. Maybe they can expand on the Beasts of Chaos theme and create something similar, but as @Requizen already mentioned the Tyranids already cover that spot...

1 hour ago, dmorley21 said:

I'm honestly surprised Skaven haven't appeared in 40k. 

Wait till somebody notices how great the skaven fit with the genstealer.

change their believe and use skaven models with guns instead and you have the perfect 40k skaven force believing in the great horned rat, rising back to the top of the chcaos deity’s game, where he should belong.

There are countless death gods in Shyish that are spawned by mortal belief in an afterlife (although Nagash keeps eating them) so it's not impossible to presume that gods can be "created" in other realms.

I presume Gorkamorka wouldn't take too kindly to some upstart minor god muckin' about and taking his followers in Ghur...

Edited by PJetski