The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Austin said:

I read your response as pretty snide. If you didn’t intend that I apologize. 

I’m not sure what part of the chapterhouse saga you mean isn’t fact. GW had an adverse court ruling. After that ruling they pulled all units that had no models from books. Books still have no units that don’t have models very quickly. So it seems logical that GW is still impacted. I admit that I don’t know as fact that they are “terrified.”

And I categorically disagree that nobody would buy models if GW clearly communicated a release schedule. 

Most successful businesses dont broadcast their releases until a short while before they go up for sale. This thread is an excellent example as to why. Leave a space and let people’s expectations grow within it . By the time release comes out people are almost irrationally determined to finally get hold of the thing they’ve been craving for weeks/months/years.  Their expectation is a far more powerful force than any preview.

Also how many posts have you read like“just started collecting x but after that teaser I’ll definitely  be buying Y!” If People has known Y was due for release two months when they started collecting X, they probably would have never started with X at all.

It would be convinient for people to be able to plan their purchases like that. But bless anyone who thinks GW have the budgeting priorities of its consumers in mind. They want you spending irrationally. People who have £50 to spend every three months and will spend no more-GW dont care. Let people know about future releases and at the end of the day that person is only going to spend £50 over three months I e way or another. It’s of advantage to them to have the choice but GW gains nothing. Careful consumers are not the friends of businesses.

But plenty people impulse purchase, and for those people, there are countless economic and business arguments to suggest that the more hype created and the less certainty around a product up to release, the more likely it is to sell. It’s capitalism 101. The aspirations and desires people invest into a product in anticipation of its release are far more powerful factors in selling them than anything the product does or is as of itself. 

Edited by Nos

20 minutes ago, Nos said:

Most successful businesses dont broadcast their releases until a short while before they go up for sale. This thread is an excellent example as to why. Leave a space and let people’s expectations grow within it . By the time release comes out people are almost irrationally determined to finally get hold of the thing they’ve been craving for weeks/months/years.  Their expectation is a far more powerful force than any preview.

Also how many posts have you read like“just started collecting x but after that teaser I’ll definitely  be buying Y!” If People has known Y was due for release two months when they started collecting X, they probably would have never started with X at all.

It would be convinient for people to be able to plan their purchases like that. But bless anyone who thinks GW have the budgeting priorities of its consumers in mind. They want you spending irrationally. People who have £50 to spend every three months and will spend no more-GW dont care. Let people know about future releases and at the end of the day that person is only going to spend £50 over three months I e way or another. It’s of advantage to them to have the choice but GW gains nothing. Careful consumers are not the friends of businesses.

But plenty people impulse purchase, and for those people, there are countless economic and business arguments to suggest that the more hype created and the less certainty around a product up to release, the more likely it is to sell. It’s capitalism 101. The aspirations and desires people invest into a product in anticipation of its release are far more powerful factors in selling them than anything the product does or is as of itself. 

Yeah I understand impulse buys and all that. But if that was such an overwhelmingly superior method of selling, why do video games or books or any number of other luxury items not go that route?

edit

- for an even better example, until recently even GW themselves previewed BL books three months in advance. 

Edited by Austin

4 minutes ago, Austin said:

Yeah I understand impulse buys and all that. But if that was such an overwhelmingly superior method of selling, why do video games or books or any number of other luxury items not go that route? 

Because video game companies only really want to sell you one game at the time (their own). While GW has a whole range of products that they have to keep selling. 

While i dont think they need to release a schedulle, a reassurance that all the current models beeing sold will eventually be on a Battletome would be great. It would put a lot of minds at ease and offer an incentive for people to aquire more stuff for their lines that arent fully developed.

A lot of luxury products like computer games, films and suchlike are all very short term products. Their shelf life is measured in weeks to months in terms of the most critical profit period. Yes very long term they can generate good sales, but for the immediate recouping of investment and profit for investors its those early short term periods where their sales are most critical and where the company can expect to sell the most. Furthermore they will devalue fast - computer games many can be as much as 50% off launch price only a year later. 

GW models don't devalue and they are long term slow sale product. So whilst GW needs hype they don't need insane levels of hype built up over months and months. Furthermore what they are selling today is just as important to them tomorrow. The game companies, for example, are only ever really focusing on one game at a time. They want you buying Warchest 1 when its out then when Warchest  2 is out they aren't interested in the first games sales as much (plus the first game is now on discount anyway)

Basically Warhammer models are a totally different market to many modern day products. GW doesn't want people sitting on money for months waiting for that eventual release; they want you spending now. I also think that GW knows that the further off you forecast the greater the chance of misisng a deadline. A mould slips; a shipment gets delayed; a model takes more work to get into a working prototype etc... Delays are big and can happen. GW only gives us info on what is 100% coming rather than on what might come. 

36 minutes ago, Overread said:

GW models don't devalue and they are long term slow sale product. So whilst GW needs hype they don't need insane levels of hype built up over months and months. 

So they’re following the playbook of hype-cycle impulse consumerism because...?  How long have Sisters of Battle been hinted at now?  How many things have been previewed in the last two years that are minimum 6 months out?

GW products being different to a video game dosent mean GW are going to turn a blind eye to demonstrably effective business practice. The nature of the product only matters in so much as how it effects how you sell it. If a different model hurt profits because it didn’t equate to the product then of course that would be an issue, But GW sell their product in many different forms to support consistent investment-they’ve been working out how to do that for decades-and  it’s undeniable that they increasingly invest heavily on a hype cycle fuelled by community interaction and rumours that is proving very effective.

Crucially they can do all of that without it impacting  their long term sales model at all. Hyping up a new range dosent affect anyone wanting to buy another existing range what so ever. “Oh you don’t like the new Persian Cow People? How about these Iron Man looking folks? “

Maybe they don’t *need* hype but they certaily use it and certainly benefit from it. It detracts nothing from their capacity to sell it long term and seems to create far more demand at relase. So of course they use it. Be stupid not to. Do you want more money or less? Hmmm.

Edited by Nos

While I have no complains about GW marketing strategy, and considering last year profits they know what they are talking about, I agree that having a rough timeline on what to expect would be pretty cool. At the very least to organise when I’ll spend the money, cause let’s be honest: money is not infinite. You don’t spend more than your budget or you have just because something cool came out.

Anyway I understand Fyreslayers playwrs’ complains but to be fair we desperately need new battletomes more than new models. That’s what I read here many times. After all main factions will get a battletome then it can be time to refresh the oldest range.

I just hope GW is not going on a faction-creep where new factions pop up more often than updates on existing ones. Unless they are expansions / can be integrated elsewhere, e.g. the Nighthaunt in LoN

Edited by alghero81
Syntax

Point:

1 hour ago, Overread said:

GW models don't devalue and they are long term slow sale product. So whilst GW needs hype they don't need insane levels of hype built up over months and months.

Counterpoint:

On 3/20/2019 at 1:56 AM, Sleboda said:

A new model comes out. 65% of all the kits it will ever sell do so in the first week. Another 20% go in the next few months. The remaining 15% is the rest of time.

Hmmm, that didn't format correctly so that 2nd quote was from @Sleboda in the power creep thread FYI.

EDIT: it did format correctly, all praise the omnissiah or whomever its fantasy expy is.

Edited by JPjr

I would wager we all know at least one person who will buy nearly all the new armies / army models GW release. Even if they later sell them on via ebay or Facebook. 

Keeping a lid on things until just before release probably helps maintain these high spenders as a customer base. 

Because of the resale market for GW product I would also suspect that people who buy the new shiny thing now, then want the next shiny thing, probably end up buying both as well. 

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Persian Cow People Confirmed!

Ok I would actually buy a slaaneshi bullgor box with robes and a mix of cows and bulls. They could have those elegant persian maces instead of the normal axes. 

Part of me thinks that if they had two sweet boxes of mortal troops they would have shown them. Why not shoot your best shot in the biggest preview show of the year? However, I think the warcry rollout could give some people hope. They accidentally gave the impression it was chaos only because they just wanted to have a cool theme for their first preview vid. Maybe they just wanted a "demon champions" theme for their adepticon preview? It seems like an odd approach to me, bit they've done it successfully in the past.

I mean if people are complaining about these type of small releases it be a good time to voice your opinions since the community survey is coming out. Or you could use their Facebook page or email To voice it.

back to rumor, looncurse may have a signify that Sylvaneath are going to have more spite creature on them

39 minutes ago, Austin said:

The bad news as far as Slaanesh mortals are concerned is that when I went back and looked at the Idoneth preview from last year's adepticon, all of the new models were shown in the reveal video.

It's a missed opportunity. I have to agree that you might be right. Without cultists it's a no go for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aryann said:

Nobody wants new Stormcasts yet they get new chamber opened every year

Somebody wants them as they sell bucketloads and if they didnt sell  bucketloads they wouldnt make them. At the end of the day they are a business. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

*stares at the new chamber which only unlocked new spells and terrain*

Um guys are we looking at the same chambers?

Nobody has mentioned the new chamber...

The fact that something wasn’t about Stormcast explicitly doesn’t and won’t prevent them from being the foremost faction in AOS. 

Edited by Nos

The bad news as far as Slaanesh mortals are concerned is that when I went back and looked at the Idoneth preview from last year's adepticon, all of the new models were shown in the reveal video.

That was an entirely new army from the the ground up instead of an overhaul of an older army though.  However, if no mortals make an appearance, GW is going to get some pretty harsh feedback from a lot of people

• Like 1

It’s not the whole of Slaanesh, just a subfaction who represent its growing power. When Slaanesh is released from his/her/it’s prison I would expect an associated army with Mortal followers.

But probably be at least a year + before that happens I would have thought. I’m not expecting that to happen until 3.0.

2 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

That was an entirely new army from the the ground up instead of an overhaul of an older army though.  However, if no mortals make an appearance, GW is going to get some pretty harsh feedback from a lot of people

It's going to be pretty disappointing if there aren't any mortals or even updates to the current ones, especially after seeing what they've done with the new slaaneshi daemon prince. As much as I like the old metal lord on boobsnake it's a bit too small when you compare it to the other mounted heroes (like the Akhelian King which has the same base size) and there's the fact it's made of metal. 

Slaanesh might not even ever be released! Chains could break, powers could seep free but the prison might hold out. Even with seeping freedom Slaanesh could trash the Shadow Realm with an outpouring of demonic power. 

It might even be a long term thing and wouldn't be a bad idea to establish, considering how Chaos Gods in general have often been quite invincible. Having one caught levels the playing field in AoS compared to the other gods and also gives some "revenge" for the Chaos gods blowing up the old world

54 minutes ago, Nos said:

It’s not the whole of Slaanesh, just a subfaction who represent its growing power. When Slaanesh is released from his/her/it’s prison I would expect an associated army with Mortal followers.

But probably be at least a year + before that happens I would have thought. I’m not expecting that to happen until 3.0.

At the start of the year you said, “Really think you’re down a blind alley with Slaanesh. Too early.  They’re not going to release two big new factions in Gloomspite and Darkoath and then risk them being overshadowed a quarter later with a long awaited member of the pantheon.

They’re going to let the Soul Wars saga breathe and continue to populate the realms with unique factions and better realise the existing ones  for another year. Then it will be Slaanesh and the Ulgu folks.”

Not sure why you felt, or feel this way. I said the same to you then, and I say it now - I assure you that the liberation of slaanesh isn’t a factor that will dictate slaanesh release’s.

Edited by NurglesFirstChosen