The Rumour Thread

Honestly we can thank computer games and mobile phones - go back 25ish years and computer games were for rich/affluent geeks. No shame that's basically the only market that could both afford them and justify as well as show any interest. My impression is that this was an even bigger divide in some countries (eg the USA) compared to say the UK. 

However today Call of Duty is a household name, console games are normal things and a lot of new adults and young families have parents who game. Sure they aren't die-hard gamers who spend days perfecting their score - they are the vast numbers of casual normal people who game. 

GW I think wants to start tapping into that market more and more and the board games decimates the whole "Oh its GW its that expensive hobby" which is an icon they've developed over the years without intending. Cheap board games; cheap skirmish and killteams; side products etc... It's all part of GW's massive drive to market expansion! 

18 minutes ago, Overread said:

go back 25ish years and computer games were for rich/affluent geeks.

whhaaaaaaaaat?! wheel & come again selectah!

25 years ago... That's only 93! I'd say by then a huge % of (young) people either owned or had relatively easy access to consoles. we were only a year away from the launch of the first playstation and had already gone through 4 generations of Ataris, NES, SNES, Megadrive and the like. 

Even by the mid/late eighties loads of people I knew had computers of some kind whether they were Amstrads (shout out to the CPC464!), Commodores, Sinclairs etc and we were trotting off down the newsagents to buy Codemasters games for only around £1.99.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

hen 6 months later.... "so yeah here's my 5000 point Seraphon army and over here is my 4000 point Tau army and I'm just about to start a new Darkoath army, and my bank manager keeps calling me and I havent seen my real friends for 2 months"

Please don't dox me. Also its 5400 points of seraphon :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

I would suspect that maybe Dreadfane may be the same Underworlds fans as Blitz Bowl is to me(though Underworlds has a lot less to simplify, so they may risk it being too watered down)

Actually while streamlined underworlds is a very high skill cap game. You generally aren't going to beat a better player despite drawing cards and dice rolls. This is measured in that the best players continue to win tournaments despite the warbands they choose or the given day they go. This game introduces random effects such as meteors and other forms of environmental effects that kind of minimize the skill dimension of the game. Along with a prebuilt deck that minimizes any kind of 'power creep' from an optimized deck. 

The skill gap is actually a big problem with the current game, its hard for new players to get into if their friends play competitively. I was thinking of getting the game and applying the environmental effects and other skill reducing mechanics to the base game as an entry point to teach my board gamer friends.

Hard not to be jealous of the 40k stuff, but our turn will come...

Any 40k loremaster able to identify the factions of the figs in the box? Looks to me like a Rogue Trader, a GSC lady, an Ad Mech dude, and then possibly a grey knight (?) and some mystery cyborg. 

18 minutes ago, Klamm said:

Hard not to be jealous of the 40k stuff, but our turn will come...

Any 40k loremaster able to identify the factions of the figs in the box? Looks to me like a Rogue Trader, a GSC lady, an Ad Mech dude, and then possibly a grey knight (?) and some mystery cyborg. 

Rogue Trader, Primaris Psyker, AdMech (possible Skitarii Alpha), Servitor, and a Crusader. They’re all Imperial. 

Edited by Still-young
  • Like 1

Stormvault is good news for people who dislike Stormcast: no resources have gone into making minis. And it's probably good news for Stormcast fans, who have a new game that doesn't add to their shame pile and aren't required to buy another battletome yet. Win-win. 

A true compromise, if nothing else. 

• Like 1

The trailer of stormvault was 100% stormcast as have proven be,but many people said that wasnt going to be stormcast lol

So disappointed released,they said us the new arc after soul wars was going to be this stormvault and then we get a boring game with allready used minis?

Where is the new arc,new minis and so?

5 minutes ago, prochuvi said:

The trailer of stormvault was 100% stormcast as have proven be,but many people said that wasnt going to be stormcast lol

So disappointed released,they said us the new arc after soul wars was going to be this stormvault and then we get a boring game with allready used minis?

Where is the new arc,new minis and so?

Don’t worry. The new expansion is called forbidden power. This is not it. It is just a little side project. Forbidden power was only announced a week ago. It will probably come out in March or April.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Does this forum have polling functionality? Would be interesting if someone took a poll of what everyone's primary army is.

Over on Honest wargamer they have been collecting tournament stats for a while. Stormcast is the second most popular army after LON. After them it is a big gap to number 3.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Probably not the fairest measure since it is heavily influenced by the strength support of different armies.

True, but it it doesn't exactly suggest Stormcast are the least liked faction. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to paint an army up to 2000 points and take it to a tournament. People wouldn't do that if they hated the faction they are using. 

Anyway,  enough off topic.  Here is the new free peoples hero. (courtesy of bolter and chainsword)simpler_trader.png.39eab809e4a6cecb408df3588a50f826.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

True, but it it doesn't exactly suggest Stormcast are the least liked faction. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to paint an army up to 2000 points and take it to a tournament. People wouldn't do that if they hated the faction they are using. 

Anyway,  enough off topic.  Here is the new free peoples hero. (courtesy of bolter and chainsword)simpler_trader.png.39eab809e4a6cecb408df3588a50f826.png

I mean you could definitely use her as a free peoples hero but this is a rogue trader from the new 40k Combat Arena game coming out.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

2 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I mean you could definitely use her as a free peoples hero but this is a rogue trader from the new 40k Combat Arena game coming out.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/

I was not being entirely serious. The image is tagged 'simple rogue trader' The recent rogue trader minis embrace the space fantasy aspect of 40k which makes them ideal for AoS conversions. 

The gsc locus would also make an awesome necromancer etc, etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FireAbend said:

Any rumors about a new WHQ AoS-themed? 

I’m late to the Party and thinking about getting WHQ:SoH. 

With Release of WHQ:BF Wh40k themed think we have to wait at least a year?

(Sorry I know there‘s also an WHQ area, but think this question is kind of Booth, i guess)

There's no word, and my pessimistic guess would be that it really seems like WHQ is going to stay just a 40k thing for a long time to come. 

If you do want SOH, I'd grab it sooner rather than later - once it sells out, I doubt they'll make any more, and Silver Tower seems to have gone entirely now. 

Edited by robinlvalentine

18 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

So yeah.. ehm Stormvaults is out and ehm.. its not quite what was hoped for. 

#onceagainthehypetrainscrashes

09C3A554-AE92-4019-9EBC-74A97D5F5C04.jpeg

I see something interesting in the box art. All the Stormcast have the same Hammer symbol despite being from separate Stormhosts. It might be an oversight by the artist. GW no longer sales Knights Excelsior upgrade kits so its kind of hard to model them with their sun and moon symbol especially since newer models feature molded on pauldrons.